Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: Gundam (In All Its Incarnations) Mk. II

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Fri May 28, 2021 7:41 pm

View Original PostGus Hanson wrote:I also wonder whether Houko Kuwashima will still be involved in some capacity since she was reported as early as 2008 as reprising Stellar (whether revived to some fans joy or dismay or force ghost :tongue: ).

Hopefully force ghost, otherwise that would be the most Sunrise thing ever. Hell, while we're at it, let's bring back Flay too and then people's heads will truly explode in befuddlement.

But this all reminds me I've never seen Stargazer, I should get on that.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri May 28, 2021 7:43 pm

You should, yeah. Stargazer is good.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Fri May 28, 2021 8:20 pm

Interesting tidbit about Stargazer: Hiroshi Kamiya, who voiced Shams Couza in the first two episodes, had an accident and was replaced by Mamoru Miyano in the third. Both of them would go on to star in 00, with Hiroshi as Tieria Erde and Mamoru as Setsuna F. Seiei.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:59 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:Hopefully force ghost, otherwise that would be the most Sunrise thing ever. Hell, while we're at it, let's bring back Flay too and then people's heads will truly explode in befuddlement.

I read on MAHQ forum somebody mention the possibility of taking the Unicorn concept of Marida Cruz who was a Ple clone and run with that method as the way Stellar comes back.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:00 pm

Considering that there's already quite the precedent for clones in CE, I could certainly see that happen; however, following that same precedent, it would also probably end extremely poorly for everyone involved
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Registration
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Registration » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:14 am

I want to see Hathaway's more than shin eva at this point.

The alexandros song is so fucking hype.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:57 am

I'm no5t sure I'd go quite as far, but I am also definitely excited to see HF.
I also find it hilariously ironic that the movie that was supposed to "surpass Eva and crush demon slayer" is now being overshadowed by 3.0+1.01 because of the delays on both.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:31 pm

@Registration: You shouldn't have to wait long as it goes up on Netflix July 1st. The question then will be if there is a physcial release in the near future.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:01 pm

I don't really care about Hathaway tbh since UC has been so milked to death. I'd honestly say I'm more curious about the SEED movie at this point than Hathaway.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:14 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:I'm no5t sure I'd go quite as far, but I am also definitely excited to see HF.
I also find it hilariously ironic that the movie that was supposed to "surpass Eva and crush demon slayer" is now being overshadowed by 3.0+1.01 because of the delays on both.

I am far from a Tomino apologist but two things about that quote. 1) It was about G-Reco, not HF as Tomino may have written the book 30 years ago, he has nothing with this film. 2) Tomino added he needed lofty goals like that to keep making anime in his 80's, I think he's fully aware he's not coming close to Eva let alone Demon Slayer.

Otherwise, I am looking forward to this movie. But, like Killer, I'm getting burned out on UC, and almost all my favorite Gundam shows are alt universe shows. So yeah, much more excited for Seed.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:38 pm

Yeah, I'm in much of the same boat. Hathaway is nice, but Ignited is where it's really at. And re:Tomino's involvement, I've seen a very interesting interview a bit ago that does confirm what you are suspecting, Tomino doesn't even want to be involved with the production anymore, so I'm pretty sure the thing about surpassing Eva and KnY is just him talking smack

Registration
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Registration » Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:11 am

There is still G-Reco movie III coming soon, G-Reco being one of my favorite gundams, even when Tomino doesn't consider it a gundam per se, it is still so fucking good.

And Tomino is getting a new book that covers Gaia Gear, which is surprising, since the novels hadn't had a reprint in a long time (And maybe it will, since HF movie is also helping selling the HF novels too).

One cool thing too is that Moriki is on the staff of HF Movie as assistant animation director. Coming full circle after 30 years.

As for the SEED movie, I am not that hopeful, Sunrise have so many projects and the sequel project of 00 may even come before. If I remember right, ZANT was planned since the 90's and IBO was in pre-production for 7 years. It will take a long time, but still happy that the project is alive.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:21 pm

Huh, new Gaia Gear stuff is not what was on my bingo card. I've always liked the aesthetic of this, so if this means a potential Gaia Gear or Zorin Soul kit, sign me the fuck up.

As for the Seed movie; I mean, it already has been in development hell for ten years, so the fact that they are bringing it back now probably means that they have made serious progress on it.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:54 pm

I've speculated for a long time that Gaia Gear will have an animated adaptation as part of the "UC Next 100" project. Maybe this is setting the stage for its adaptation.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:16 pm

Just watched HF. Overall decent, great animation and music. However, when it ended I couldn't help but think, that's it? Feels more like the first episode of an anime rather than a movie, not a whole lot actually happens. Also, for a Gundam movie, there's very little mech fighting.

So I thought it was alright, but nothing special at all, very underwhelmed by it's conclusion. If there's any continuation of the story from here, then I would understand it more. But if this is it, meh.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:16 am

There is a continuation! It's the first of a trilogy of movies that will be released over the coming years

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:49 am

View Original PostBlockio wrote:There is a continuation! It's the first of a trilogy of movies that will be released over the coming years

Ah jeez, okay I take it back. It makes a lot more sense to me now.

The movie's pretty good lol.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:26 pm

Hahaha, no worries. But yeah, gonna watch it with some friends tonight, very much looking forward to it

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:21 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:Hahaha, no worries. But yeah, gonna watch it with some friends tonight, very much looking forward to it

Will be interested to hear what you think.

Registration
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Registration » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:09 am

Finished watching the movie too, it was great.

Penelope noise with the Minovky flight system makes so much sense since it was one of the earlier models to have it. And you could see the difference in having it and not having, late UC mobile suits are so fucking powerful next to early UC.

Gigi was Tomino/10, Kenneth was cool as hell and it is quite sad to see Hathaway struggling to be someone he isn't, even more when he hears Amuro's voice from beyond the time.

The first fight with the Messer and Gustav Karl type-00 was fucking amazing, seeing the colateral damages gave me such F91 vibes. I had great memories thinking about similar vibes like G-Reco and Macross Zero. It kinda feels like they are doing a modern Tomino but with all the backup of other artists at sunrise, at how full of life the setting, background and general feeling it is (Like G-Reco for example).

Lets hope that this is a success and they start exploring more late UC, be it after F91 or after Victory (My dream would be adaptation of Cross Born DUST)

Return to “Anime and Manga”