[Game] Neon Genesis Evangelion: Chapter 1 (PS4/PS5/PC) - RUMOR

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

[Game] Neon Genesis Evangelion: Chapter 1 (PS4/PS5/PC) - RUMOR

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:22 pm

This reddit thread claims Bandai Namco is developing a bunch of games for the recently released PlayStation 5, as well as the older PlayStation 4 and PC. It includes this:

Neon Genesis Evangelion: Chapter 1 - Developed by CyberConnect2 (PS4, PS5, and PC)

According to Ambiant/ambiant23 on Evageeks Discord, this 9-month old thread has already had two confirmed titles, Ace Combat 8 and Elden Ring. Another commenter says:

Bamco has always wanted to make a console-quality Neon Genesis Evangelion game for a while now, however, they have been trying to find the developer to handle this project for years but after Final Fantasy 7 Remake fiasco Bamco approach CyberConnect2 if they were willing to work on the IP. The original plan was to go straight to Neon Genesis Evangelion however they realized that they don't have the tech or framework yet for this game this is why Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot happen to help fill the gaps that were needed to make this kind of game. The plan for this so far is to make it a 3 part game based on the original anime and original movies no Rebuild of Evangelion stuff.

Furthermore:

https://www.gematsu.com/2015/03/cyberco ... generation

“Up until recently, our workload was split pretty evenly between console games and smartphone games, but at this stage, we’re switching out to a ratio of 7:3 for console to smartphone work. For this generation, we’re really going to do what we can in the console space.”

While this might simply be a rumor and/or wishlist, it does seem plausible considering 3.0+1.0's imminent launch and the corresponding Eva marketing and merch surge. "Chapter 1" is a curious naming choice however, it seems to imply it's either a part of a series, or perhaps even based off the original anime series and not the Rebuilds, which don't use the Neon Genesis naming in Japan. Of course, this isn't necessarily proof, because that could just be its Western naming, or even just an adaptation (or innacuracy) on the part of the "leaker". If it's the former, it might even point towards a Western release, presumably even localized, something very rare for Evangelion derivative material overall in the West.
Last edited by FelipeFritschF on Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ambiant23
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: [Game] Neon Genesis Evangelion: Chapter 1 (PS4/PS5/PC) - RUMOR

•      
  •      

Postby Ambiant23 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:27 pm

https://youtu.be/lMieDM5-vhg youtube vid about secret project.
That said i am pretty skeptical that there is an evangelion game in developement. Although i want one sooo bad.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:15 pm

This would be awesome... If true. I don't have confidence that it's real as of now, but it would make sense to give Eva a console game after so long, there's so much useless Evangelion merchandise, why shaft the video game market?
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:55 am

If this happens I would buy all the games I wonder if steam will take on the series as their bringing over more and more Japanese games to the platform. ^_^
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:17 pm

Reads like made up nonsense and CC2's speciality are over the top action cutscenes and shallow battle arena combat. There is basically nothing of that in NGE.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:42 pm

View Original PostJoseki wrote:Reads like made up nonsense and CC2's speciality are over the top action cutscenes and shallow battle arena combat. There is basically nothing of that in NGE.

I'm pretty sure the mechs fighting Angels part of the show would suffice, but yes, I'm not putting much stock into this rumor yet either.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Ambiant23
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Ambiant23 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:47 pm

I kinda would like a vr game.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:29 am

Not to be overly cynical here, but I am almost 100% convinced that even though the name is "Neon Genesis", the game, if it exists, will be in NTE style.
That being said - honestly I'd be down for an Eva game that isn't gacha or a glorified visual novel, and actually good
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

deeRez
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby deeRez » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:36 pm

What we'll probably get is another Evangelion 64 or Evangelion Battle Orchestra game,
but what's best for the series is one that's more character driven.

I don't want to repeat the series exactly like battle focused games tend to do.
I want to explore the world of Tokyo III. Walk the halls of Nerv in 3D. Give me something like Persona 5.

I really liked what they were trying to do with the PS2 and PSP game Evangelion Another Cases.
Unlike Persona games, there's no calendar in Another Cases, but it does count down to the Angel Event.

While it counts down, the game plays like Persona but more like the Sims except you control only one character.
It's like Animal Crossing in that sense without the furniture.
The rest of the sims live out life, like asking for allowance money from Misato, or going to school.
But after a while you realize how limited the AI is. I really wish they took Another Cases and expanded on it with more AI.
In and of itself, self-evident.

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:17 pm

My wish for years now is for an Evangelion character action game similar to Evangelion Jo, where the EVA/Angel fights are all fast, flashy, dodge-heavy, Bayonetta style action, and the character segments where you control the pilot who's story you pick at the start, act as a hub world. Platinum Games' Astral Chain hit the mark almost exactly. Maybe mix in a bit of Daemon X Machina where if you run out of power you can choose to eject from your EVA and if you still somehow manage to beat the Angel you'd get a D rank, or if you just escape you get an E rank, completing the stage regardless, like running out of time in NiGHTS into Dreams.
EVA Dawn on mobile does something a tiny bit like this concept, but as a 2D beat-em-up with a billion overly complicated upgrade systems you can pay to cheese. EVA so badly needs an awesome action game, best we have right now is mediocre-pretty good Smash clone Battle Orchestra. Hopefully once New Theatrical's story is complete, we'll start getting more NTE stuff. I'd love to wreck Zeruel-Rei, or do co-op missions on the L-Barrier Earth as Units 02' Beta and 08'
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:47 pm

There is NGE2 for the N64, which at least to my understanding is more or less that, albeit dated and not as fast-paced as you talk about there
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:46 am

Sighs and fires up PSP NGE2 in the meantime, while patiently waiting for the impossible ;_;
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:51 am

BTW, since this thread started, I've been checking out this Reddit thread. I don't think I've seen a single rumor posted on it that has been even remotely true. Seeing as the source of this was just some guy posting a list over a year ago, I'd say this game is non-existent.

Zethus Thorne
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Zethus Thorne » Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:21 pm

Maybe it wouldn't be a Retelling of the series like how most Anime games are but something in between 2.22 and 3.33
Maybe this is the game that moved the CEO of CyberConnect2 to tears during the development. We'll have to wait and see.

Double post merged - staff

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”