Alien & Predator General!

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Alien & Predator General!

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:08 pm

EDIT --- Making this into a general for both Alien & Predator post 2020!

Upcoming we have - https://www.comicbookmovie.com/sci-fi/p ... rg-a180263

There's a new Predator movie in development at 20th Century Studios, and 10 Cloverfield Lane director Dan Trachtenberg has been enlisted to helm the project.

The script is being written by Patrick Aison, whose producer/writer credits include Kingdom, Jack Ryan and Treadstone.

Past threads of relevance!
Prometheus & Covenant - thread/6756/Film-Prometheus-Sequels/

Brief 2012 thread just about the general Alien series - thread/12865/FILM-Alien-Series-no-AvP/

The Potential Aliens sequel by Blomkamp - thread/17217/Neill-Blomkamps-Alien-5/

The Predator (2018) - thread/16331/Shane-Black-and-Fred-Dekker-to-make-PREDATOR-Sequel/
Last edited by movieartman on Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Re: New Predator film (from director of 10 Cloverfield Lane)

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:27 am

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/sci-fi/p ... st-a180304

Last December, it was reported that Trachtenberg was developing a movie for 20th Century Studios called Skulls which was written by Patrick Aison and set to be produced by longtime Predator franchise producer John Davis. At the time, it was said that, "'Skulls' will follow a Comanche woman who goes against gender norms and traditions to become a warrior."

Now, AVP Galaxy is reporting that the two projects are indeed one and the same.

Apparently, "Predator 5 will be set in the past (finally!) where it will focus around Native Americans before the territories were taken by the American settlers, featuring a First Nations cast."

This won't be the first time the franchise has explored Native American Culture as the comic book series (and novel) Predator: Big Game did exactly that.

Not sure how to feel.
I'm pleased they are taking a page out of the comics/novels & doing period piece hunts but pre old west Native America wouldn't have been my first choice for period/location.
And if they are gonna do a female lead why not just adapt the Machiko Noguchi storyline minus Xenomorphs (create some other villainous alien threat for her & the preds to hunt)

If they don't restrict themselves to actual Comanche actresses mabye consider Marika Sila (twilight zone reboot) as the female Indian lead?
SPOILER: Show

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:54 am

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:https://www.comicbookmovie.com/sci-fi/predator/predator-5-plot-details-for-upcoming-reboot-revealed-franchise-may-be-heading-to-the-past-a180304

Not sure how to feel.
I'm pleased they are taking a page out of the comics/novels & doing period piece hunts but pre old west Native America wouldn't have been my first choice for period/location.
And if they are gonna do a female lead why not just adapt the Machiko Noguchi storyline minus Xenomorphs (create some other villainous alien threat for her & the preds to hunt)

If they don't restrict themselves to actual Comanche actresses mabye consider Marika Sila (twilight zone reboot) as the female Indian lead?

I think the western is a really bad idea just because one of the huge reasons westerns are not popular any more (Outside of gaming) as Hollywood has not modernized them or unpacked the racism and whitewashing and back wards gender dynamics (As women rode horses were bad asses and had hidden mini guns that could shoot you in the face and would kill you eg Calamity Jane) that comes with them its why Cowboys and Aliens is not good on repeat viewings and has not aged well at all as it fell back hard on lazy 70's tropes.

And I agree you if want to do a female lead do Machiko Noguchi and hire a Japanese or Japanese American to do the part and set it in Ripley's Aliens time line so you can bring back the marines as it opens the playing field for new alien movies.
Last edited by silvermoonlight on Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:59 am

silvermoonlight wrote:And I agree you if want to do a female lead do Machiko Noguchi and hire a Japanese or Japanese American to do the part and set it in Ripley's Aliens time line so you want to bring back the marines as it opens the playing field for new alien movies.

I might only be speaking for myself here but I really hope they'll keep the Alien & Predator films separate from now on.
I know we had two terrible films already but I hope they keep all that AVP stuff to comics, cheap paperbacks, toys & videogames from now on.

Or at least make a show for Hulu and keep the films separate.

They won't of course. Disney owns the two franchises now. And we came dangerously close with one of the shot alternate endings for The Predator doing just that. They undoubtably would have gone with "Ripely shows up in Predator gear at the end" if Sigourney Weaver hadn't made it clear she has no interest in Predator stuff. I'm sure we'll get a fan pandering Alien Vs. Predator: The Rise of Xenohunter at some point. I'm guessing we'll find out Lance Henricksen is behind it all.

Predator 5 sounds interesting. Doing a period piece could be interesting and if they cast it appropriately and don't fill the cast with random white dudes it would be a welcome change of pace. Whatever they do I hope they just keep it small - which they likely will have to since Disney ain't giving these movies $100 million budgets - and don't drag everything down with a need to expand the garbage Predator lore. They shouldn't waste their time introducing Predator Wolves, or Super Predators, or Hybrid Predators, or whatever. They should just make a low to mid-budget R rated movie that has a couple of badasses trying to not get killed by a Predator.

Considering there's only one legitimately good movie with a Predator in it I'll stay optimistic but won't get excited.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:21 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:They shouldn't waste their time introducing Predator Wolves, or Super Predators, or Hybrid Predators, or whatever. They should just make a low to mid-budget R rated movie that has a couple of badasses trying to not get killed by a Predator.

Considering there's only one legitimately good movie with a Predator in it I'll stay optimistic but won't get excited.

I couldn't agree more with that what made the Yautja terrifying was never their weapons its there human level intelligence and problem-solving ability and that unlike the other horror monsters they don't fall for stupid ploys or half arsed attempts at being outsmarted.

Like the scene that forever sticks in my head was Dutch going come on kill me I'm here and the Yautja leans forward but then sees the dagger trap above and perks an eyebrow like you clever little bastard you almost had me there like as a kid that terrified me because then it was no longer a dumb monster but a clever being with a thought process level that matched my own which only gets deeper when Dutch goes what the hell are you? Then gets the same reply in return which was chilling.

And can they please insert back in the canon the deal with breathing masks as they can't breathe right in our atmosphere unless they're using a mask as they can only take of their main mask off for a limited time and must have a breather device they also have issues with cold it's what the netting is for and why they only hunt on earth in really hot summers.
Last edited by silvermoonlight on Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:57 am

silvermoonlight wrote:I couldn't agree more with that what made the Yautja terrifying was never their weapons its there human level intelligence and problem-solving ability

True. As the series has gone on they've given the Predators so many new toys and gadgets and advantages that they stopped seeming like the worlds greatest hunters and start coming off as just a bunch of lazy corner cutting assholes. The Predators had so many accessories in later entries that they don't remind me of skilled game hunters who went out into the wilderness alone to catch dangerous prey but instead remind remind me more of the whole awful practice of trophy hunting these days where an over the hill and out of shape corporate executive pays top dollar to stay at an expensive resort and a team of people trap, prep, drug and carefully position their desired animal in place for them to "bag the kill".

In the case of Predator I feel the smaller they go with the story the better it will be. The template of the first movie is right there and no one attempts to replicate that. All they need is establish six to seven badasses in the first 20 minutes and then spend the next hour+ having them be outwitted and one by one be killed off until it's just human and Predator at the end.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:16 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:True. As the series has gone on they've given the Predators so many new toys and gadgets and advantages that they stopped seeming like the worlds greatest hunters and start coming off as just a bunch of lazy corner cutting assholes..

This adding more stuff is the huge problem I agree as in the lore as they get older unless they are an Arborator which is a form of lawgiver their job being to hunt down bad bloods who break the honour code and kill them. They are meant to carry less and less as they get more experienced, this is to impress the bigger stronger females so some in the lore even handy cap themselves by wearing crappy weapons or low tech helmets.

So the previous movies really dug themselves a hole with this AVP started it but I don't think it had bad intentions but it sent off his wave of gotta be bigger got to be better and it conflicts badly with the lore in the comics and 90's novels. It also caused issues with writers in the later books ret conning things that the classics set down and causing conflicts.

I've seen the same issue in the aliens films but its more this muddled idea that a single android could create the aliens instead of the comic Jockey's who are an elephant like race (Not human at all) and are assholes and make very clear they don't care about humanity as they use Xeno's to terraform planets they wipe out all life then they kill them all and terraform. It's just on LV-426 something went wrong though, but they do tell grown up Newt in one of the comics we were coming for earth to wipe out everything.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Re: Alien & Predator General!

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:04 pm

Since we are getting multiple projects in the works I am just gonna turn this thread into a general for both Alien & Predator instead of making divergent threads for each project.

Besides the above upcoming Predator movie we have coming up...

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/sci-fi/a ... th-a180794
Alien is currently in development at @FXNetworks. The first TV series based on the classic film series is helmed by Fargo and Legion's @noahhawley. Expect a scary thrill ride set not too far in the future here on Earth.

Here is Hawley talking about the project back in October when he believed it to be dead - https://www.comicbookmovie.com/sci-fi/a ... in-a178831

Netflix is apparently sitting on a finished AVP anime series - https://www.perfectorganism.com/blog/20 ... me-project

For this project I hope...
- Disney allows it to be released.
- It's not cheap 3d cel shaded animation like the Godzilla anime trilogy or the new Ghost in the Shell. It's closer to the animation of Castlevania, Blood of Zeus or the Deadshot sequence of Batman Gotham Knight.
- It's a hard faithful adaptation of the Machiko Noguchi storyline from the original AVP Dark Horse comics.

Marvel now has the rights to do Alien & Predator comics, taking the license from Dark Horse after 30+ years & they have announced their first Alien series.
https://www.avpgalaxy.net/2020/12/07/ma ... es-writer/
Not familiar with the writer but the artist is a very weak choice. Traces almost as much as Greg Land. Sad, back when he did X-treme X-Men with Clairmont he was pretty damn good.
Cover is great at least.

And lastly not too far back we got officially produced Alien short films by Fox.

Specimen - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYAHOZ_91A0

Containment - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oputwvJRPz0

Ore - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUMsMaVhnQs

Night Shift - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZnDnK3YLsI

Alone - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApNPbQxMFtk

Harvest - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0tIu7zvQcw

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:16 pm

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:Netflix is apparently sitting on a finished AVP anime series - https://www.perfectorganism.com/blog/20 ... me-project

For this project I hope...
- Disney allows it to be released.
- It's not cheap 3d cel shaded animation like the Godzilla anime trilogy or the new Ghost in the Shell. It's closer to the animation of Castlevania, Blood of Zeus or the Deadshot sequence of Batman Gotham Knight.
- It's a hard faithful adaptation of the Machiko Noguchi storyline from the original AVP Dark Horse comics.

I'd only be interested in that if its like Beastars or Godzilla Singular Point if their going 3d, if its like the new ghost in the shell I don't see that going down well as a huge complaint of GITS was it looked like plastic otherwise 2d only. I agree though that Machiko Noguchi's story line would be perfect for an anime since the character is Japanese and it means the Japanese animators could get her dads dishonour suicide issue over better as they'd get the stigma over that comes with it.

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:28 pm

I thought we'd only be getting fan pandering Disneyfication from now on (with maybe the exception of Scott's films), but lo and behold, a Noah Hawley Tv series? My interest has been piqued. It's also set on Earth, which is going to be rather interesting.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:26 am

New Aliens video game. Does not appear to be related to Isolation sadly.
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/sci-fi/a ... er-a182847

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:19 am

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:New Aliens video game. Does not appear to be related to Isolation sadly.
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/sci-fi/a ... er-a182847

Well anythings good so long as the AI isn't dumb as fuck like it was in Aliens Colonial Marines....

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:37 pm

Amber Midthunder (legion) will star in the new Predator which apparently will go straight to streaming on Hulu.

- https://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3666 ... tor-movie/
- https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/366 ... ctly-hulu/

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:48 pm

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:Amber Midthunder (legion) will star in the new Predator which apparently will go straight to streaming on Hulu.

So I guess there doing what they did in the old days if they weren't sure about a film it went to DVD but in this case its straight to streaming.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:44 pm

The new Predator film is officially titled Prey!
1st promotional image!

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:03 pm

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:The new Predator film is officially titled Prey!
1st promotional image!

So they've gone for a nod to the original novel. (Not my book, it's the only good image I could get off the web)

Thuktun Flishithy
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Thuktun Flishithy » Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:25 pm

I've been wanting to see a Predator story set in preindustrial times for years, even toying with fanfic of it. I'm really hoping this is good- Trachtenberg did good work with 10 Cloverfield Lane, so hopefully this movie will also be of high quality.

It'd be cool to focus less on gore and more on a cat-and-mouse kind of story. Predator was never about putting skulls on mantlepieces to me, but how the otherworldly hunter flips normal narratives and film trappings on their heads to disturbing effect. That's why the first one is still the best, in that this team of 80's action heroes, whose lamest members would still be some of the manliest men ever put to screen, is promptly reduced to college kids in a slasher movie at the hands of the Predator. Even the surviving lead played by Arnold fucking Schwarzenegger is left bleeding, emotionally broken, and scared witless, more like Laurie Strode at the end of Halloween than the Terminator.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:14 pm

Noah Hawley talking about his upcoming FX Alien series.

"It's set on Earth of the future. At this moment, I describe that as Edison versus Westinghouse versus Tesla," Hawley tells Esquire. "Someone's going to monopolize electricity. We just don't know which one it is ... In the movies, we have this Weyland-Yutani Corporation, which is clearly also developing artificial intelligence-but what if there are other companies trying to look at immortality in a different way, with cyborg enhancements or transhuman downloads? Which of those technologies is going to win?"

"Alien is a fascinating story because it's not just a monster movie; it's about how we're trapped between the primordial past and the artificial intelligence of our future, where both trying to kill us," he continued. "As Sigourney Weaver said in that second movie, 'I don't know which species is worse. At least they don't [frick] each other over for a percentage.' Even if the show was 60% of the best horror-action on the planet, there's still 40% where we have to ask, 'What are we talking about it, beneath it all?' Thematically, it has to be interesting. It's humbling to get to play with the iconography of this world."

Everything I have heard about this series sounds solid.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:08 am

New Alien film being made for Hulu separately from the Noah Hawley series. Ridley will produce & Fede Alvarez (Don't Breathe, Evil Dead, The Girl in the Spider's Web) is set to write & direct.

If it's a Alien Isolation type story focusing on extended suspenseful stalking then the Don't Breath guy is a great match.

https://comicbookmovie.com/sci-fi/alien ... ce-a192496

Natalie the Cat
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Natalie the Cat » Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:17 pm

Aren't the Predators being akin to human big game hunters with a bunch of gadgets sort of the point? I know that thread was largely lost after the first movie, but the original Predator was a both a subtle send up of action movies in general as well as a critique of violence and the culture of masculinity.

Return to “Film and Video”