What would you change about Evangelion?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Re: What would you change about Evangelion?

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon May 24, 2021 10:29 am

I quite agree, especially to the last two. Those are vital to showing just how bad it was, and getting rid of them would just diminish the impact that EoE has on the whole.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

elonmuskito
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby elonmuskito » Mon May 24, 2021 2:29 pm

I love Eva. It’s my favorite anime of all time. But you see Shinzo go through all this stuff and I feel lIke he never grows. I understand that it all builds up to row but having him get a bit bolder could have better his relationship with ausuka. (Sorry if I spelled her name wrong)

caser713
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby caser713 » Mon May 24, 2021 9:24 pm

Nah, that scene is absolutely vital on top of being one of the most iconic and memorable scenes in the series. I'm pretty sure most people who watched the film would agree that its inclusion is important. It's obviously disturbing, but that doesn't mean it's bad or unimportant. I really don't see how it puts a stain on the series (well, aside from the unfortunate phrasing).

Oh shit I didn't think about the phrasing LMAO, but yeah I can totally see where you're coming from! I mean obviously, it left a pretty bad taste in my mouth but that's the point of the scene after all. Personally, I wouldn't miss it if it wasn't there, but I can definitely see its importance to the series. It's hard seeing your favorite characters exhibit destructive traits in a way that actually harms others.
you're all you need, you're all you have <3

baldur
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Tue May 25, 2021 2:17 am

View Original Postcaser713 wrote: It's hard seeing your favorite characters exhibit destructive traits in a way that actually harms others.

It definitely is, but that's one of those things that I've come to appreciate about the series more and more. I like when stories allow characters to have flaws. Real flaws. The truth is that we all have a side that we keep hidden to others, that we're ashamed of, that we might even be frightened by. All of us are capable of harm. I appreciate when the implications of this are truly acknowledged. Because the truth is, when people are at their lowest point, they might become a danger to others. No matter who it is, likable or not. And that doesn't mean that humanity is bad or irredeemable. Or that life isn't worth living. We're all just trying to make our way. And sometimes we harm each other, but we also help each other sometimes. That's what I take away from Eva.

caser713
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby caser713 » Tue May 25, 2021 5:24 pm

I agree :-) honestly looking through this topic has changed my opinion on the hospital scene, although I still have mixed feelings about the Misato kiss scene- I wish her breakdown had manifested in some way other than being predatory :/ Despite the whole "despair" theme, it would've been nice to see her grow before the end
you're all you need, you're all you have <3

Sefirot Tree Of Life
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Sefirot Tree Of Life » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:16 pm

There's a lot of things I would personally change, but at that point I'd just be describing a fanfic.

No Rebuilds, no Mari.
“Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy. As long as the Sun, the Moon, and the Earth exist, everything will be all right.”

"Maybe, I could love myself. Maybe, my life could have a greater value. That's right! I am no more or less then myself! I am me! I want to be myself! I want to continue existing in this world! My life is worth living here!"

"Congratulations!"

"Thank you all!"

Xenoblade
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Xenoblade » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:57 pm

I'd have done the Rebuilds as well, just with no Mari. Yeah, she's there as a marketing vehicle, but all the same I don't consider it a risky move to remove her. I don't see why Misato merchandise with glasses couldn't satisfy the demographic left out. ^_^

I'd also "skip" the time skip. It's not bad or lazy, but it's so common in media that it's almost more brave to....not skip 14 years.
Don't be.

Sefirot Tree Of Life
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Sefirot Tree Of Life » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:07 am

View Original PostXenoblade wrote:I don't see why Misato merchandise with glasses couldn't satisfy the demographic left out. ^_^

This is what I can never forgive Anno for. There is no reason to make Mari (As she creates a lot of plot holes and broke the story, but that’s a different topic) because fan service wise, Misato does “fan service” much better:

Mari is still 17 (I think, correct me if I’m wrong) so Anno is still profiting off the sexualization of minors as he supposedly criticizes it.

Misato in the original series, I wouldn’t say she was DEFINED by fan service, but it was featured prominently with her in a far more tasteful way. Like her attitude towards Shinji (Which was actually a cheerful mask to help bring him out of his shell, which immediately has more depth then Mari) Misato at the end of each episode dramatically talking about what would happen next while promising plenty of fan service~, Misato having just a plain lot of better moments (Jet Alone, her times at the apartment, when she saves Shinji) Misato is just a much better character, in my opinion a much more attractive character, and her sexuality is a major part of her, but doesn’t completely define her. I’m not going to go as far as to say it’s tastefully done and very high iq, but Misato is treated with respect by the writing and by the fans, and imo she’s a lot prettier. She should have been the designated merch doujin waifu, but instead we get Mari, who in every single piece of merch and art I’ve ever seen, basically just does what Misato does (Especially when paired up with Asuka and Shinji) so Mari just strikes me as completely inferior and unnecessary in every single way.

Heck, they could have just stuffed Hikari in a plugsuit, given her glasses, and did the generic moe embarrassed blushing anime girl crap, it still would have been more tasteful and character driven then Mari.
“Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy. As long as the Sun, the Moon, and the Earth exist, everything will be all right.”

"Maybe, I could love myself. Maybe, my life could have a greater value. That's right! I am no more or less then myself! I am me! I want to be myself! I want to continue existing in this world! My life is worth living here!"

"Congratulations!"

"Thank you all!"

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”