Can Shinji be forgiven for fapping to comatose Asuka?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Sefirot Tree Of Life
Embryo

Re: Can Shinji be forgiven for fapping to comatose Asuka?

•      
  •      

Postby Sefirot Tree Of Life » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:35 pm

What Shinji did was wrong, but he was wrong, had been hit with multiple traumatic events that left him suicidal, and not much longer afterwards completely broke with reality altogether. It’s not an excuse or a justification, but Shinji was just not in the right state of mind. He’s also very young. Asuka, on the beach, chose to reach out to Shinji all on her own. It’s a step towards forgiving Shinji, and for him to heal and have redemption. To hold Shinji always at his lowest point would be to forever damn him and make him unable to change.

I think it’s possible for Shinji to be forgiven, and he’s already made the right steps. Give him a good therapy program and make sure he’s not put in the same horrific environment that caused the hospital scene to happen, and he can make amends, be forgiven, and keep working towards redemption.

gibbdude
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby gibbdude » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:16 pm

Can Misato ever be forgiven for sexually assaulting a child?
Il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux

Sefirot Tree Of Life
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Sefirot Tree Of Life » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:50 pm

View Original Postgibbdude wrote:Can Misato ever be forgiven for sexually assaulting a child?

I know I could...as long as she did it again :devil:

gibbdude
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby gibbdude » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:12 am

@Sefirot Tree Of Life :| In response to your second post, I know that's a joke, but I really don't think it's a good attitude to take. Sexual assault is serious shit. It hurts people, and the lasting damage it causes to people's lives shouldn't be taken lightly. What Misato did was totally awful, same as what Shinji did, especially considering her position as Shinji's guardian.

Still, in response to some of the other takes on here, I do think that one the big things Eva wants you to do is be compassionate towards people who do terrible things. I've never been a victim of any sort of abuse, so I'm in a very cushy position to be talking here. Despite that, I'd like to say that I think putting such a barrier of disgust between oneself and these actions is kind of a mistake. Fucked as it is, they are things that humans sometimes do, and you, too, are a human. Also, I understand forgiveness as something victims do for themselves, to show, when they're ready, that they are strong enough to find kindness in the face of great unkindness. It's an ultimate "Fuck you!" to your trauma to forgive.
Il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”