How did you first get into Evangelion?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Re: How did you first get into Evangelion?

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:12 am

This post is basically gonna be an amalgamation of some other stuff that I've already posted here on the forums. But, whatever hahaha.
In short, I got into it because of my stepfather. When he was a young man, he watched it through a channel called "Locomotion", (which use to exist here in Brazil) and loved it.
After we met, he tried in various ways to introduce me to anime. Eventually, when I was nine years old or something, he rented the 1.0 Blu-ray for us to watch on my PS3. I couldn't understand anything. I remember thinking a lot about the destruction of Antarctica and it's implications afterwards (the "global warming" elements and Pen Pen). But that was it. My mind was too closed for Japanese media at that time (outside of videogames). So, I didn't even try to pay attention to what was happening on the screen.
Years later, when I was much older, I got into anime through Dragon Ball (you know, the usual). It was airing on Cartoon Network and I decided to give it a try. I really liked it! It helped me go through a period of changes in my life too! So, I instantly became a fan.
Because of this, I was more opened to watch other anime. My stepfather took notes and made me see the original series with him. I was immediately hooked.
I will never forget the first time that I watched it. It was so fun! We took more than three weeks to end it all. My stepfather prevented me from consuming it all at once. According to him, each episode deserved to be enjoyed individually. Because of that, I developed affection for the characters in very natural way. When I noticed, they were already part of my "daily life" and I really cared about them.
The funny thing was that he hadn't watched The End of Evangelion yet. So we experienced it first hand, together. It was a ride. That is definitely my favorite movie of all time. I will never forget the day I watched it. The film ended at sunset and it was crazy. I laughed, thought and cried over it hahaha.
Ah, great memories!
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

Berserker
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Berserker » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:38 am

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:I will never forget the first time that I watched it. It was so fun! We took more than three weeks to end it all. My stepfather prevented me from consuming it all at once. According to him, each episode deserved to be enjoyed individually.

Totally agree with it. I spent like what...yeah, 3 weeks and couple of days. I used to watch one episode per day before going to work. It was fun brainstorming each episode throughout the whole day. And yeah, watching it for the first time is absolutely amazing and can't be experienced again the same way.
Last edited by Berserker on Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EvaGeeks at its finest: discussing whether or not a 14 yo girl has breast implants and how they should look. ~Shamsiel-kun
Sometimes I secretly think the reason I'm an A/S shipper is because I want Rei for myself. ~Chuckman
Eew, penis and testicles, gross! ~Reichu
My dude, "cross, crucifix, troubles, back, rood, buttock" sounds a lot closer to classic Evangelion than just one stray buttock roaming around in the film. ~FreakyFilmFan4ever

Javi2541997
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Javi2541997 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:21 pm

Berserker wrote: And yeah, watching it for the first time is absolutely amazing and can't be experienced again the same way.

Agree. The first time you watch EVA is unforgettable. I remember when my best friend recommended me because in his psychology class he was studying "hedhoge's dilemma". To be honest back in the day I had bad prejudices about anime at all (lol) but thanks to EVA I start becoming more fan. So it opened a beautiful door to me that I didn't know about.
Shi ni Itaru Yamai, Soshite

Eva Dragon
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Dragon » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:36 pm

I sorta knew about Eva because I read about it in some anime magazines, but I watched it for the first time on tv a couple of years later, when I was stuck in bed with a broken leg and the Twin Towers fell down.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:50 pm

Well, at least something good came out of that. Glad you enjoyed it, and a belated welcome aboard!
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Eva Dragon
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Dragon » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:00 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:Well, at least something good came out of that. Glad you enjoyed it, and a belated welcome aboard!
Thanks a lot! ^_^

TastyCap
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TastyCap » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:00 am

I'd imagine my history with Evangelion is unconventional compared to most, because it's been present for the majority of my teenage years, but it took up until a week ago for me to become genuinely fixated on it in a way that was deeper than superficial appreciation of the visuals.

I was first exposed to the show when I was 14, most likely through a combination of browsing /a/, seeing memes related to the series gain traction on Instagram, and watching the opening on YouTube. I was immediately captivated by the intro, even without knowing anything about the show or its characters. The melancholic atmosphere, animation style, warm colors, and the beauty of Cruel Angel's Thesis as a song made me feel nostalgic for something I hadn't watched. Let me clarify, I was obsessed with that opening for a good week for so, and I was beginning to gain a vague familiarity of the show's characters and plot through internet osmosis. Shortly after, I threw in the towel and decided to watch the series subbed. Due to being liberal with spoilers, I knew most of the story beats before they had even happened, including both endings. Unfortunately, and I think this was due to being too young to really think about what I was watching, most of the series' depth was lost on me. I didn't understand the more complex elements of the narrative, and the existential material completely flew over my head. I left Evangelion without much of an impression, and I chalked the series up to something pretentious. Outside of an appreciation for Asuka's design and character, the series itself faded from my memory. It's a shame, because I could have used Evangelion's life lessons many times throughout High School.

2020 was an incredibly hard year for me, between transitioning to college while learning at home to figuring out that I was never all that connected to the friends I had made in High School, it was an absolute emotional rollarcoaster, and most of the time it was descending. Later in the year, I met a wonderful person, and got into a relationship with them. It's been a blessing, and every day I'm thankful that one good thing came out of the last year. I had offhand mentioned Evangelion to them a few times, mostly in relation to Asuka, and that got them interested. I proposed that we should watch it together, and we did. For the first time, the series sucked me in. I wasn't expecting it at all, but the character dynamics and themes hit me hard. I found bits of myself in all of the characters, and I was confronted with some uncomfortable truths about myself. I felt for Asuka the most, relating to her aggressive and antagonistic demeanor heavily. I had to stop myself after watching episode 22 because it was too much for me to take at once, and the revelation of Asuka's inner perception of herself hit far too close to home. I also resonated with Shinji's anxieties about his own perceptions, goals, and how he internalizes his struggles.

We marathoned the entire show as well as EOE within 2 days, and I believe it has deeply affected me in a positive way. I cried multiple times, and I'm never affected this much emotionally over fiction. In the short time since then, I've started writing fanfiction as a means of coping with never being able to see the characters truly happy with themselves and one another in the show proper. The sheer amount of Eva fanfic I've discovered exists makes me realize that I'm not alone in my sentiment. I'm hooked, and I now look forward to absorbing as much information as possible regarding the series, as well as putting in the work to achieve the things its inspired me to want to achieve. Evangelion is beautiful, and it remains the only simultaneous slap in the face and long hug combo I've ever received.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:27 am

welcome to the club
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:35 pm

View Original PostTastyCap wrote: I was immediately captivated by the intro, even without knowing anything about the show or its characters. The melancholic atmosphere, animation style, warm colors, and the beauty of Cruel Angel's Thesis as a song made me feel nostalgic for something I hadn't watched. Let me clarify, I was obsessed with that opening for a good week for so.

lol, I can definitely relate to this sort of feeling of captivation. Sometimes you're just grabbed by something and it doesn't let go.

Vic Guard
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Vic Guard » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:28 am

Well... I've been hearing things about Evangelion for quite some time, but it wasn't until about a year ago that I actually decided to give it a try. The original anime is so far the weirdest thing I have watched, but was enough to get me interested in the setting. And right now I'm watching the Rebuild movies.

Gax
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Gax » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:55 am

I remember hearing people mention it back in 2015, 2016 around; in the beginning of 2020 I noticed it on Netflix and decided to give it a watch and.... man... I liked it so much that I started collecting VHS tapes, figures, shirts. Anything eva related I could get my hands on. It's defiantly my favorite anime and I'm glad I had a chance to watch it, even if I'm late to the party. ^_^

shinryujimikihiko
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby shinryujimikihiko » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:27 pm

Raise your hand if you didn't get into Evangelion, but Evangelion got into you. Feels like that sometimes, yes?

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:00 pm

...yes.

Rei still lives in my heart and all the rest lives in my art taste
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

TastyCap
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TastyCap » Mon May 03, 2021 10:58 am

Without a doubt. A day doesn't go by where I don't think about Eva, its characters, or messages. I'd imagine this is what it's like for people who are religious, and compare everyday situations to their faith. It's a little ridiculous to hold a piece of art in the same regards as a belief system, but I think that speaks to the impact a powerful story can have on a person, and in my case, that's what Evangelion is for me; a work of art crafted with utmost care and effort. It's a personal totem, and I know it's helped me unlike any other work before it. The scene in Ep. 19 where Kaji tells Shinji he needs to make decisions so he won't have any regrets later on constantly replayed itself in my head during my exams a week ago, and helped me grasp the gravity of my situation. I still think about that scene, and most scenes from the latter half of the show, every day.

Since I've last posted here, I've rewatched the series again in its entirety with my partner, and I'm still finding new ways to things to get out of it. I'm finally hoping to dive into the Rebuilds with them, but we both wanted to give the original series another watch before moving on. Admittedly, I'll want to watch it a third time around once those are done, so fingers crossed I'll be able to drag this person in with me again.

baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Mon May 03, 2021 6:06 pm

View Original Postshinryujimikihiko wrote:Raise your hand if you didn't get into Evangelion, but Evangelion got into you. Feels like that sometimes, yes?

Yep. Feels that way with a lot of narrative works I get deeply invested in, but even among those Evangelion stands out.

TastyCap wrote:Since I've last posted here, I've rewatched the series again in its entirety with my partner, and I'm still finding new ways to things to get out of it. I'm finally hoping to dive into the Rebuilds with them, but we both wanted to give the original series another watch before moving on. Admittedly, I'll want to watch it a third time around once those are done, so fingers crossed I'll be able to drag this person in with me again.

I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts on Rebuild. ^_^
Also, does your partner like Eva half as much as you do?

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Tue May 04, 2021 6:58 am

shinryujimikihiko wrote:Raise your hand if you didn't get into Evangelion, but Evangelion got into you. Feels like that sometimes, yes?

Oh yes, it most certainly does. Though like baldur, that's what all of my favorite artworks/artists have done for me-they feel like a part of my identity, like they changed something about who I am, if even in only a smaller way. They simultaneously bring something new to me and my world, while at the same time feeling as if they've always been there and have only now made themselves welcome or heard. They feel both like forgotten old friends reintroducing themselves and new friends with whom the adventures just start. They offer new vantage points, worldviews, insight, knowledge and feelings. They're great, wonderful and will stay with you forever.

baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Wed May 05, 2021 1:13 pm

Very nicely articulated, Zusu.

TastyCap
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TastyCap » Wed May 05, 2021 1:53 pm

View Original Postbaldur wrote:Also, does your partner like Eva half as much as you do?

They enjoyed it enough to want to rewatch the show as soon as we finished, so they're certainly engaged. They're a quieter, less analytical person, not the type to do endless research or read other's thoughts on the show on their own volition, but Eva always comes up at some point in the day. I know for a fact they've had emotional reactions to the series and find it comforting, but I'm not sure how much that has to do with associating the series as an activity we did as a couple. Either way, I'm happy they liked it and gave it a chance, especially with how polarizing initial reactions to the series can be.

Privacy and pronouns tangent split here

Sefirot Tree Of Life
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Sefirot Tree Of Life » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:44 pm

Got into Evangelion when I was 14, Shinji’s age, just as I was entering high school. Been trying to take care of myself ever since.

Weskerredfield
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Weskerredfield » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:49 am

I first watched it in 2020, i was working as a Corrections Officer at the time and was in a very bad place mentally. I came across Evangelion via Netflix and decided to watch it after had been curious about it for years. Once i watched the first episode, i was hooked and i never looked back since. Now it is one of my favorite Anime's of all time.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”