Evangelion Pic Thread 11: Mari's Middlesex Manor of Mayhem and Fantabulous Foppery

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Re: Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0 Spoiler Fanart, Merchandise and Cosplay

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:31 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:That explains why some commenters/reviewers mentioned a "confession scene" when I could find no is because it's (probably intentionally) ambiguously worded/ double-meaning due to jp grammar fuckery, I wonder how they'll translate it in a way that preserves both meanings, cause the connection with the village people in general is also super important.

Also, Shinji actually gets the tears out this time (unlike ep 23) which is super important.

I AM IN A GLASS CAGE OF EMOTION literally crying rn the actual movie is gonna DESTROY me.
That's also how the subject doesn't come up upon their reunion, cause, his answer was apparent in his actions, & they had other things to discuss.

Err... can you elaborate on what you're talking about? What subject doesn't come up upon their reunion during Instrumentality?
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:07 pm

https://www.arqacrypha.net/post/eva-3-0 ... ation-pt-1 <- it's at the bottom of this, though obviously the above ramble is just my very subjective reading/reaction
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:45 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:I AM IN A GLASS CAGE OF EMOTION literally crying rn the actual movie is gonna DESTROY me.
That's also how the subject doesn't come up upon their reunion, cause, his answer was apparent in his actions, & they had other things to discuss.

I think this is not mentioned again, because it is not exactly a confession (even if the dialogue is ambiguous).

I wouldn't interpret/translate Rei's Q dialogue in the shipping way, because it ignores the people on Village 3.

Also, Shinji differentiates between Rei II and Rei Q (even if both are Ayanami). He mentioned that Rei Q found her own place to explain why Rei II could find her own place too.

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Err... can you elaborate on what you're talking about? What subject doesn't come up upon their reunion during Instrumentality?

The last line of Rei Q (好きな人とずっと一緒にいたかった) could be translated or interpreted in two ways (which is surely intentional by the creators):

- "I wanted to keep being with the people I care about."

- "I wanted to be with the one I like forever" (this would be especially shippy with Shinji).

However, I think the first one is the correct interpretation, since it would include people on Village-3 (which fits better to Rei Q development).

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:05 pm

^
Thanks for the precision, Nuke-kun.
The whole deal with Rei Q and Rei II is weird: on one hand they are treated as two different people, and on the other Rei II appears with a baby doll with "Tsubame" written on it, suggesting that she got Rei Q's memories and that the later was an extension of the former! :unsure:

View Original PostKendrix wrote:https://www.arqacrypha.net/post/eva-3-0-1-0-cc-ad-translation-pt-1 <- it's at the bottom of this, though obviously the above ramble is just my very subjective reading/reaction

Oh, so it was expanded... oh shit I never knew that Asuka fucking tased Shinji to make WILLE believe that she captured him! :cringe:

So I guess that Toji and Kensuke's plan was to have Shinji live under a false identity in Village-3 while making WILLE believe that he died/disappeared after Fourth Impact, with only a select few (Toji, Hikari, Kensuke, Misato, Ritsuko, Asuka and Mari) knowing the truth... although since most of the Wunder crew and their family seems to live in Village-3, that will be hard to make it so no one recognize him, especially if people start talking about the two people in black plugsuits that Asuka brought with her... what was their long-term plan had he decided to stay?
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

Re: Evangelion Pic Thread 11: Mari's Middlesex Manor of Mayhem and Fantabulous Foppery

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:37 pm

View Original PostA Renegade Deserter wrote:I don't know if someone posted this pic here already, though just in case I post only the link to the pic itself 'casue it's NSFW and Guro.

It's Asuka being crucified and stabbed with the LoL  SPOILER: Show

Why does Asuka always have things rough? It’s as if the world is out to get her, and she’s had it rough as it is.
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: Evangelion Pic Thread 11: Mari's Middlesex Manor of Mayhem and Fantabulous Foppery

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:29 am

View Original PostC.T.1290 wrote:Why does Asuka always have things rough? It’s as if the world is out to get her, and she’s had it rough as it is.

I'd argue some of the best fan fictions are those that have characters being put through the ring this works though when It's not just Asuka and is the complete cast.

That being said there are a whole group of artists and writers out there who don't get her character assume she is a brat who deserves to be punished and therefore punish her in art as they don't want to read in to the characters deeper layers or try and see things from her perspective.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:02 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:what was their long-term plan had he decided to stay?

...lots of hair dye, probably.

the villagers were apparently told that they're ordinary war orphans that wille's subsidiary organization put in Toji's care. (see part 1A)

Touji& Kensuke were uniquely well situated to pull it off though, as the medic & the mechanic respectively the villagers would generally trust them & have loyalty toward them.
Also they get Shinji out of his plugsuit pretty quick.

They were never *as* close in Rebuildverse but one does wonder how much Hikari knows of what happened to Asuka.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:07 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:The whole deal with Rei Q and Rei II is weird: on one hand they are treated as two different people, and on the other Rei II appears with a baby doll with "Tsubame" written on it, suggesting that she got Rei Q's memories and that the later was an extension of the former! :unsure:

I guess both situations apply to the connection between Rei II and Rei Q.

Rei Q is an extension of Rei II, that's why the later would inherits the memories (if she didn't experience it all at the same time). However, at the same time, Rei Q is her own person with her own personality and development.

PS: According to Rei's seiyuu, Rei Q has a different tone of voice from Rei II, because she is her own person (even though Rei Q and Rei II are both Rei Ayanami).

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:14 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:^
Thanks for the precision, Nuke-kun.
The whole deal with Rei Q and Rei II is weird: on one hand they are treated as two different people, and on the other Rei II appears with a baby doll with "Tsubame" written on it, suggesting that she got Rei Q's memories and that the later was an extension of the former! :unsure:

...Nuke-kun? That wasn't Nuke posting it, that was konja paraphrasing part of Reichu's article xD
Full explanation  SPOILER: Show
Reichu's TL wrote:[00:52:11, 844] "I wanted to keep being with the people I care about." Oh boy, this fucking line. Original is 「好きな人とずっと一緒にいたかった」 ("Suki na hito to zutto issho ni itakatta"). We're dealing with the notorious "suki" here, which can describe feelings anywhere from general fondness or affinity to "liking" someone in the "I'm too bashful (slash Japanese) to call it 'love'" kind of way); and, specifically, "suki na hito", which could refer to one person or multiple ("person/people I like"). The line as a whole could be given a "weak" rendition, a "strong" rendition, or something in between. The weak rendition is included by default. A stronger, shipper-friendly variant might be "I wanted to be with the one I like forever".

There's an argument to be made for either interpretation. For the "strong" version, you might point to Asuka telling Rei that she's programmed with an affinity to Shinji, or to Rei telling Shinji "Because we like you". For the "weak" version, you might consider that Rei saying "I wanted to keep being with the people I care about" follows directly on her saying that she wishes she could hold Tsubame again, and calls back to the earlier scene where Hikari commends how good Rei is with Tsubame and tells her, "I wish you could stay with us forever".

The best part of all this that the two versions are not mutually exclusive. (Which makes sense; Anno is big on that sort of ambiguity.) Now, that said, since I had to pick only one to be the default translation, I went with the non-shippy version, on account of it being more inclusive. "People I care about" includes Shinji, whereas "the person I like" does not include everyone in the village with whom Rei has formed a relationship.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:47 pm

This dude drew it much better than me, I am gonna die of jelly
SPOILER: Show

Rei & Kitty

If she had gotten to actually eat the finished rice

Rei-chan's new room

Gotta catch em all

I believe they're discussing the Neon Genesis (tm)

Im all for the beach fun but I object to the gross mixing of pre & post timeskip stuff

Spear of Will

Orange EVAs

Asuka gets recorded for posterity

"Give them back!"

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:59 pm

Sad Babies

Not all those who wander are lost, but those three definitely are

Ritsuko through the ages

Chibi Pilot Girls

Midori

Sachiel

Musical Shinji

Young boy you'll become a legend

Angry Gamer Mermaid Asuka

Yui

The kids playing tennis

Adorable trio

Kaworu:

Rei & Kaworu

Pilots chilling

Asuka

And now comes the best part, which is Rei pics

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:27 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Asuka

It took me a while to remember where I knew that phrase from: it’s from the song “One Last Kiss” -o-;

From Berserker

Shinji
Artist: Bla on pixiv

Asuka
1. At_望 on pixiv
2. Chi4 on pixiv
3. inouyechika on pixiv
4. sorao_umino on pixiv

LKS
1. Jymni on pixiv
2. kikishan on pixiv

Group
1. Aprev on pixiv
2. 有里 on pixiv
3. @orihalcon_001 on Twitter → “I'm so confused.” – Berserker

Found by me

Happy late birthday, Kotone Suzunami!
Artist: @Baumku_techen on Twitter

It seems that Arin (@Baumku_techen) really like this character, I just find fanart of her with this artist.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:31 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Im all for the beach fun but I object to the gross mixing of pre & post timeskip stuff

I really, really liked this one!

Asuka and her OG
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:17 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Rei & Kaworu

Kaworu to Rei "How about we take the next cycle off...."
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:44 pm

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:
Kaworu to Rei "How about we take the next cycle off...."

Honestly, who could blame them.
I wonder if that Pic was supposed to go with the manga version of the armisael debacle

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:13 pm

View Original PostJoelcrNeto wrote:Asuka and her OG

Now that has me wondering; Was Soryu supposed to be the original template of the Shikinami series who died during an experiment, or something different along that line?
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:11 am

The page layout is broken, it has a BBCode that the tag was closed in the wrong order in silvermoonlight's post.

From Berserker

Shinji gets a shit ton of birthday wishes
The sources are at the bottom of each picture, I didn't put them here at the top because it would be a huge list -o-;

Rei
Artist: @hajikkoneko on Twitter
Creepy door behind.

Mari
Artist: かやのあきら on pixiv

Kaworu
Artist: ささい on pixiv

Amogus
Artist: さしみ on pixiv

Found by me

Rei
Artist: KoYA on pixiv

Asuka & Rei
Artist: 高地さかな on pixiv
Last edited by JoelcrNeto on Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:21 am

^
For now we can speculate anything. I think it's a joke by Anno, referring to Soryu, more precisely to the original show. A meta-reference.
I can't stipulate what happened to OG...

From Berserker

Happy bithday, Shinji-kun!
1. ささい on pixiv
2. sansangaku on pixiv

Asuka and Rei:
Artist: 月華 on pixiv

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:04 am

View Original PostJoelcrNeto wrote:The page layout is broken, it has a BBCode that the tag was closed in the wrong order in silvermoonlight's post.

Fixed!
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:02 pm

^ Thanks!

A bit more of Shin-chans!
1. @ojiya1519 on Twitter
2. @Kura_rart on Twitter
3. @AA_onono on Twitter
4. @Hideyo_66 on Twitter
5. @RiaM2e0 on Twitter

Kaworu
Artist: @takuanoisi on Twitter

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”