Waiting for Evangelion:3.0+1.0

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Archer
Matarael
Matarael

Re: Waiting for Evangelion:3.0+1.0

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Mon May 24, 2021 12:16 pm

What news is there even to be had? This thread has been a cope thread for a while now, it’s not like there’s all that much to share or discuss 2 months into the waiting game. If there’s actually an announcement of an impending international release it’ll almost certainly get posted as its own thread anyways that would be impossible to miss.

mastafishere
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby mastafishere » Mon May 24, 2021 12:27 pm

View Original PostArcher wrote:What news is there even to be had? This thread has been a cope thread for a while now, it’s not like there’s all that much to share or discuss 2 months into the waiting game. If there’s actually an announcement of an impending international release it’ll almost certainly get posted as its own thread anyways that would be impossible to miss.

For sure, but I also don't see the harm in starting a new thread for the dub discussion to continue in while this one is left dormant until there is news or if people want to discuss the very limited news we've gotten so far. It's not like threads cost any resources and I feel it would make everyone happy. Personally, I check this thread every day for news and I'm sure I'm not alone, so I see the point that it might be considered "spammy". But that's just my thought, you do you.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon May 24, 2021 12:43 pm

Since there is no point in letting the dub discussion continue anywhere else, it might as well continue in here till it exhausts itself (although it is past any truly productive discussion at this point...)
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Raikyu
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Raikyu » Mon May 24, 2021 3:55 pm

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:Given that this is an English-language Evangelion forum and that it caters to a large number of Evangelion fans from the Anglosphere (including those for whom English is a second/third language), it is quite obviously NOT spam to talk about a 3.0 + 1.0 English dub or the choice of voice actors in the English language. Following your logic, it would be the same as going to a Portuguese-language Eva fansite and complaining that talk about a future dub of 3.0 + 1.0 into Brazilian/European Portuguese was a "little bit spam" for users not from Brazil or Portugal, even though those are the userbase for a fansite. If you were critical of the quality of discussion that has taken place on the issue so far, that's a different matter.

I see. My bad then. I always thought that this was an international forum and we speak in English because it's a universal language. I didn't mean to complain about the discussion itself, but how we have seen the same thing for days.

bobgoesw00t
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby bobgoesw00t » Mon May 24, 2021 4:06 pm

View Original PostArcher wrote:The coronavirus literally has NOTHING to do with a movie getting dubbed. The Funimation VA’s aren’t gonna die of the virus because they weren’t renewed for this gig. And if, by your own words, it “really shouldn’t matter” who dubs the movie, then why are you even here arguing that it should’ve been the Funi crew?

This is not even a coherent line of argument, and I’m not going to waste my time further engaging this train of thought. If this non sequitur is where this “debate” has devolved to, then I have nothing more to say on the matter.

No offense, but I've been trying to remain as neutral as possible here and from my point of view, your the one that keeps flipping out every time I try to defend the Funimation cast. Yes, I prefer the original/ADV/Funimation cast over the Netflix one, I don't hate them and it's perfectly you and other people to like them more. As for the whole thing with COVID, I never meant that it had anything to do with a movie being dubbed, only that it could do so. I also never said that they would get COVID and die because they don't get the chance to finish what they started and I don't even know where you got that idea from. And I really don't care who dubs it, but does that also mean that I can't have a personal preference for which cast dubs it? The last time I checked, a rule that says exactly that never existed which means it's perfectly OK for me to like one over the other. Lastly, I also don't wanna waste any time debating this when from where I'm standing, your the one that keeps trying to start an argument over something as silly as who dubs the movie. I never came here to argue about this and I never intended to, so I think it would be best for everyone on this topic if we both let bygones and bygones and agree to disagree on this subject. Also hoping that you and your family and friends are healthy and safe right now and that it stays that way.
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon May 24, 2021 4:35 pm

Calm down, both of you.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

bobgoesw00t
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby bobgoesw00t » Mon May 24, 2021 6:28 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:Calm down, both of you.

I am very calm right now actually, about to make myself a cup of Mango Passion Fruit Tea and play some more KH2FM. Randomly got the urge to play through all of Kingdom Hearts (minus Re:Chain of Memories as I don't think I can handle running through both Sora AND Riku's side of that game right now...although if I had an ass-ton of Peach Fuzzy Navel and Calypso Colada I WOULD play the KH Drinking game cause WHY THE HELL NOT!?!?!?) and I'm maybe...2/3 to 3/4 of the way through it? And if anyone is wondering what the Kingdom Hearts Drinking game is, you basically take a shot anytime someone says, "DARKNESS" and you'd best be ready to get REALLY drunk if Ansem Seeker of Darkness is talking cause HOO BOY, his entire character is LITERALLY monologing for ENTIRE CUTSCENES about DARKNESS and how great it is. Hell, I'm 99.99% sure he's MARRIED TO THE STUFF BY THE END OF KH3!!!!! xD
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon May 24, 2021 9:34 pm

View Original Postbobgoesw00t wrote:
View Original PostBlockio#923542 wrote:Calm down, both of you.

I am very calm right now actually, about to make myself a cup of Mango Passion Fruit Tea and play some more KH2FM. Randomly got the urge to play through all of Kingdom Hearts (minus Re:Chain of Memories as I don't think I can handle running through both Sora AND Riku's side of that game right now...although if I had an ass-ton of Peach Fuzzy Navel and Calypso Colada I WOULD play the KH Drinking game cause WHY THE HELL NOT!?!?!?) and I'm maybe...2/3 to 3/4 of the way through it? And if anyone is wondering what the Kingdom Hearts Drinking game is, you basically take a shot anytime someone says, "DARKNESS" and you'd best be ready to get REALLY drunk if Ansem Seeker of Darkness is talking cause HOO BOY, his entire character is LITERALLY monologing for ENTIRE CUTSCENES about DARKNESS and how great it is. Hell, I'm 99.99% sure he's MARRIED TO THE STUFF BY THE END OF KH3!!!!! xD

When a staff member says something in bold red text, listen to them. Nonsensical responses like this are not acceptable.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

ixas
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ixas » Tue May 25, 2021 5:58 am

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:
View Original Postbobgoesw00t#923549 wrote:I am very calm right now actually, about to make myself a cup of Mango Passion Fruit Tea and play some more KH2FM. Randomly got the urge to play through all of Kingdom Hearts (minus Re:Chain of Memories as I don't think I can handle running through both Sora AND Riku's side of that game right now...although if I had an ass-ton of Peach Fuzzy Navel and Calypso Colada I WOULD play the KH Drinking game cause WHY THE HELL NOT!?!?!?) and I'm maybe...2/3 to 3/4 of the way through it? And if anyone is wondering what the Kingdom Hearts Drinking game is, you basically take a shot anytime someone says, "DARKNESS" and you'd best be ready to get REALLY drunk if Ansem Seeker of Darkness is talking cause HOO BOY, his entire character is LITERALLY monologing for ENTIRE CUTSCENES about DARKNESS and how great it is. Hell, I'm 99.99% sure he's MARRIED TO THE STUFF BY THE END OF KH3!!!!! xD

When a staff member says something in bold red text, listen to them. Nonsensical responses like this are not acceptable.

hey i made an account in this website specifically to tell u that bob is cool and ur a tightass

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Tue May 25, 2021 8:15 am

If you made an account specifically to insult a person, then I'd say that, with your mission accomplished, you have no reason to be a member any longer.
Remember: insults are not cool nor productive in a large forum such as this.

FryMeTuhDehMuhn
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby FryMeTuhDehMuhn » Tue May 25, 2021 11:52 am

This may be old news, but I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, so I'll share this: Evangelion 3.0's Japanese theatrical run ended on April 17, only a week before the home video release. Hopefully this means that we should expect a home video release for 3.0+1.0 pretty soon after the theatrical run ends in Japan.
wait waht

bobgoesw00t
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby bobgoesw00t » Tue May 25, 2021 11:51 pm

I apologize if my one response came off as passive aggressive, rude, patronizing or anything along those lines. I was just wanting to reassure everyone that I’d dropped the subject (and still have. That cup of tea helped remove any negative feelings I might have been having in addition to being very fruity and it made me want to be at the beach OTL) and was moving on to other things to pass the time. Mostly on this forum to talk about Eva and other topics that might interest me while meeting like minded fans. I hope we can all continue this topic with hope, kindness and understanding.
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Wed May 26, 2021 4:08 am

View Original PostFryMeTuhDehMuhn wrote:Evangelion 3.0's Japanese theatrical run ended on April 17, only a week before the home video release. Hopefully this means that we should expect a home video release for 3.0+1.0 pretty soon after the theatrical run ends in Japan.

They seem to be pushing the film to reach 10 billion yen milestone since that'd be a historic achievement for SF anime, that's why they're handing out new pamphlet with Ayanami art for moviegoers (1 million copies to be exact, enough to reach that BO number).

The pace seems to be slowing down because many theaters are closed due to the emergency state, so I won't expect the theatrical run to end soon unless they're content with 9 billion which is likelier in current state.
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

bobgoesw00t
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby bobgoesw00t » Wed May 26, 2021 3:49 pm

View Original PostGhostlyOcam wrote:They seem to be pushing the film to reach 10 billion yen milestone since that'd be a historic achievement for SF anime, that's why they're handing out new pamphlet with Ayanami art for moviegoers (1 million copies to be exact, enough to reach that BO number).

The pace seems to be slowing down because many theaters are closed due to the emergency state, so I won't expect the theatrical run to end soon unless they're content with 9 billion which is likelier in current state.

I'll wait as long as I have to as long as everyone on the other side of the Pacific stays safe and healthy. Still have a metric ass-ton of video games I want to play that should keep me occupied while I keep waiting. Not just Kingdom Hearts Melody of Memory and Xenoblade, but Scarlet Nexus and Biomutant xD
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

Velorex
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Velorex » Wed May 26, 2021 11:55 pm

View Original PostFryMeTuhDehMuhn wrote:This may be old news, but I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, so I'll share this: Evangelion 3.0's Japanese theatrical run ended on April 17, only a week before the home video release. Hopefully this means that we should expect a home video release for 3.0+1.0 pretty soon after the theatrical run ends in Japan.

https://twitter.com/evangelion_co/statu ... 8902995968
extended till june 30th
"the master of a cruel angel's hypothesis"

Xenoblade
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Xenoblade » Wed May 26, 2021 11:55 pm

View Original Postbobgoesw00t wrote:I'll wait as long as I have to as long as everyone on the other side of the Pacific stays safe and healthy. Still have a metric ass-ton of video games I want to play that should keep me occupied while I keep waiting. Not just Kingdom Hearts Melody of Memory and Xenoblade, but Scarlet Nexus and Biomutant xD

I agree, I can wait as long as necessary.

Scarlet Nexus does look good, although my Bamco tastes tend to gravitate towards Tales, so Tales of Arise is my priority. Might wait for a sale but I'm definitely getting it.

I mean look at this! I spoiler-tagged it because it's huge:
SPOILER: Show

This aesthetic is perfect.
Don't be.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Thu May 27, 2021 12:07 am

Tales of Arise does look amazing... But it's also off topic lol.

I don't see anyway Shin hits ten billion Yen. Momentum seems to have stalled weeks ago, and the lockdown will only decrease traffic for the foreseeable future. Still a big success though.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Thu May 27, 2021 4:30 am

Yeah, it's currently struggling to even reach 9 billion yen, I really don't see 10 being the endgame here considering it's been nearly three months since the premiere.

On the other hand, they're extending the film's social media campaign which is more or less like prizes for moviegoers who went to see the film until June 30 and that pretty much indicates it won't be leaving theaters anytime soon. If the international release is tied to domestic theater longevity, then brace yourselves for another month of waiting for any meaningful news to come out.
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

bobgoesw00t
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby bobgoesw00t » Thu May 27, 2021 12:19 pm

View Original PostGhostlyOcam wrote:Yeah, it's currently struggling to even reach 9 billion yen, I really don't see 10 being the endgame here considering it's been nearly three months since the premiere.

On the other hand, they're extending the film's social media campaign which is more or less like prizes for moviegoers who went to see the film until June 30 and that pretty much indicates it won't be leaving theaters anytime soon. If the international release is tied to domestic theater longevity, then brace yourselves for another month of waiting for any meaningful news to come out.

GOODY!!! That'll give me plenty of time to finish my KH:BBSFM run, playing through KH3 again and a bunch of other stuff as well xD
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Thu May 27, 2021 12:58 pm

I don't think they're waiting for the movie to leave Japanese theaters to deliver news about an international release. I suspect that's all planned out already, to use the most recent example of Demon Slayer, it came in October and got an international run in April. That's a 6 month window, and I don't think it's unreasonable to expect Eva to follow a similar example. Especially when we have a massive Anime convention in July that would be the perfect platform to announce such a thing.

The wild card in all this is who will distribute it? If FUNimation is truly out, I guess it's Fathom events or Gkids? I honestly don't believe they would completely forgo a Western theatrical release for just streaming.
There's also the matter of other massive Asian markets such as China and South Korea, so the chances of it going to streaming before an Asian release seems improbable to me.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”