Shinji is a XTC fan?!

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: Shinji is a XTC fan?!

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:17 pm

This necro revival causes me to comment to an older post than I ever have before, I think...
View Original Postchocky wrote:I wonder if that was in the storyboards or if one the animators was a XTC fan and put it in for a laugh!

The XTC t-shirt is in the Settai (and so also the 100% NewType Collection) with a comment next to it, so it goes well back.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

SoryuUberAlles
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby SoryuUberAlles » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:18 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote: The XTC t-shirt is in the Settai (and so also the 100% NewType Collection) with a comment next to it, so it goes well back.

What does the comment say, for those of not so merchandistically blessed?
"You're just turning this into a mixture of gibberish and fan service! That's not the Evangelion I know!" - An Asuka, one of many.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:41 am

I've no idea - I can't read the hieroglyphs.

Picture from Settai:  SPOILER: Show
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:32 pm

On a side note, is it just me, or does Shinji's design seem akin to a more fleshed out design of a character from FLCL?
Anywhere Can Be Paradise as Long As I Have the Will to Live...

...after all, I am Alive, So I'll Always Have the Chance to Be Happy.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:51 pm

Well, he's 14 against Naota's 12. But Naota does a line in sulky expressions which Shinji can't equal.

SoryuUberAlles
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby SoryuUberAlles » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:37 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote: The XTC t-shirt is in the Settai (and so also the 100% NewType Collection) with a comment next to it, so it goes well back.

And after mucking about on the translation interwebs I have discovered that the comment reads:

SPOILER: Show
"rear view drawing" -o-;

5 minutes on wikipedia though suggests - as chocky, god bless 'em, noted all those years ago - it is very definitely the XTC band logo that appears on their earliest albums.

But it appears most specifically to resemble the logo as it appears on the album Drums and Wires whose lead single is...Making Plans for Nigel!

So whoever put it on Shinji's page on the wiki way back in 2008 is probably right!
"You're just turning this into a mixture of gibberish and fan service! That's not the Evangelion I know!" - An Asuka, one of many.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:34 am

The scribbling below the XTC logo reads "back graphic". (Or "graphic on back".)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

SoryuUberAlles
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby SoryuUberAlles » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:51 am

Probably? If it's just the title of the little drawing itself - unless it's some really idiomatic expression - unfortunately it doesn't look like it'll tell us what XTC is doing in Evangelion. :uhh:

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:58 am

Well, I had little hope of that, to be honest. The explanation put into the wiki by UrsusArctos is probably as good as we'll get unless someone asks Sadamoto and gets an answer.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:11 am

Soryu: Settei like this are a guide for the animators, NOT fan-directed goodies. Any notes on them are pretty much exclusively for the purposes of proper form, continuity, and so on. A plain, straight-on drawing of any graphical detail -- like logos on clothes or mecha armor -- is provided as a base so the animator consulting the settei sheet can properly draw distortions (as from perspective, wrinkles, and so on).

Not "probably", either -- that's really basic Japanese and I can understand it on sight.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

SoryuUberAlles
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby SoryuUberAlles » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:27 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Not "probably", either -- that's really basic Japanese and I can understand it on sight.

Cool.

I just realized, didn't Sadamoto do an album cover for Eric Clapton? We know more of what British prog rock thinks of his work than what he thinks of theirs...

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:17 pm

^ You're right http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2 ... bum-jacket

Pretty damn good covers I must admit (Even if Pilgrim doesn't fall in line with what Clapton is capable of, but then again, this is a topic for XTC).
Anywhere Can Be Paradise as Long As I Have the Will to Live...

...after all, I am Alive, So I'll Always Have the Chance to Be Happy.

caser713
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby caser713 » Thu May 20, 2021 6:32 pm

i might be grasping at straws here, but after listening to XTC's song "dear god", i noticed the line "did you make disease and the diamond blue?" ramiel ?!?
you're all you need, you're all you have

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”