You Never See Anything Just Once - NTE Edition

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
EscapismIsBad
Shamshel
Shamshel

Re: You Never See Anything Just Once - NTE Edition

•      
  •      

Postby EscapismIsBad » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:16 pm

*Air by Bach starts playing*
Deep down we all know this scene, I won't even describe it.
*petrifies and is left floating adrift in space, where it will outlast Evangelion: Thrice Upon a Time 3.0+1.0, as an eternal testament that the human race existed*

Bye bye all of Evangelion and Evageeks.
When you feel sad remember that it's always epic Spinosaurus aegyptiacus time, you were born in the same planet as S. aegyptiacus, how cool is it?
I never understood why people hate the Rebuild because it's different and love the Series, can we just love it all without creating dilemmas and unnecessary discussions?
SPOILER: Show
Be careful of 3.0+1.0 spoilers

This is truly the end of this account, forever.

GunmetalSnail429
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby GunmetalSnail429 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:24 pm

View Original PostEscapismIsBad wrote:*Air by Bach starts playing*
Deep down we all know this scene, I won't even describe it.
http://imgur.com/gallery/xFgELEi

Anno pls no
God's in his Heaven because He's scared of our superior firepower...-Yui Ikari

ohno2100
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ohno2100 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:29 am

Just thought of this now: I'm not sure if anyone has noticed this, but I feel like the shot in 2.0 where Awakened Unit 01 grows that Golden AT-Field Arm is a callback to the shot where Berserk Unit 01 heals its arm in 1.0.

Unit 01 in 1.0

Unit 01 in 2.0

Like mother, like son I suppose, huh? :lol:

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:13 am

I just want to say I am proud of everyone who avoided spoilers, you guys are the real heroes.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

AWinters
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AWinters » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:53 pm

Do cross-dimensional parallels count?
Last edited by AWinters on Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lickitung
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Lickitung » Mon May 17, 2021 1:58 pm

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:46 am

When the shutdown plug is introduced in 3+1 for Asuka to use against Unit 13, I thought "well there's some fun new technobabble."

But of course that was wrong, you never see anything just once! On 1.11 rewatch I realized that shutdown plugs are referenced in dialog for use with Unit 01:

And a bit later in 1.11 in flashback visual for use with Unit 00 (this cruciform object is not identified in dialog as a shutdown plug but what else could it be?):

(Edit on 11/20/2021: ah, I see over in this thread that Unit 01 has a shutdown plug installed during maintenance in this 1.11 screenshot, neat!)

As far as I know it's still a mystery what Asuka meant in 3+1 by her belated realization about Unit 13's entry plug configuration:

I nursed a theory that her shutdown plug would only work with a traditional single entry plug system, but that doesn't make much sense because Wille should have already understood Unit 13's dual entry plug configuration after the events in 3.33.
Last edited by nerv bae on Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:29 pm

I guess it's possible Asuka and Mari only ever thought Shinji piloted 13 alone.

Nice catch btw!
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:57 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:I guess it's possible Asuka and Mari only ever thought Shinji piloted 13 alone.

Nice catch btw!

I'm pretty sure Mari knows there are two pilotw inside Eva-13. In 3.0, she even discovered Shinji was SEELE's back-up to mantain the Gates of Guf open (after Eva-13 started to fall).

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:00 pm

But maybe she didn't know the 13th Angel was an actual pilot.
Uh who knows lol. Or she didn't tell Wille for whatever reason.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

Pluto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Pluto » Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:36 pm

I just noticed this browsing the info on the new Hideaki Anno Exhibition by my house. The poster for Shiki Jitsu (式日/ ritual day) and the poster for 3.0+1.0.

Oh, the clock is ticking out

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:14 am

Shiki-Jitsu was set and shot in Ube, Anno's hometown, same as that poster and the last scene from Shin Eva.

Zoop
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Zoop » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:26 am

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:But maybe she didn't know the 13th Angel was an actual pilot.

She pulls Shinji's entry plug out manually, surely she would have noticed it was positioned off-center, and that there's another one on the other side. Also, she knew which to pull.
Maybe didn't know the 13th Angel was an actual pilot, sure, could have been a dummy, but still, thats very visually obviously not a single entry plug system.
So Asuka's line is still weird...

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:15 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:But maybe she didn't know the 13th Angel was an actual pilot.

She might had kept that discovery that EVA-13 is a dual-entry for herself for whatever reason, since she tends to keep her cards very close to her chest and is running her own secret plan behind WILLE's back.
Mind you, Asuka is technically not wrong that at this moment EVA-13 is a single entry-plug configuration, since there's no information that Shinji's entry plug was replaced between Q and Shin, but WILLE would had probably made plans for the case it was replaced and used with a back-up pilot if they knew about its configuration, so I think that indeed, they genuinely though that it was a single-entry Eva. Which could also mean that their plan was screwed before it even began, if only they had one of its pilots that they could had interrogated about its specifications... :rolleyes:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:59 pm

It is weird though, isn't it? Something that could have been avoided if Asuka took two of those crosses to the battle or something lol.
Or if it was stated that plugging one was enough. But they went out of their way to make clear Asuka was surprised by the fact.

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:07 pm

Is there any reason for Wille to believe that Gendo would reconfigure 13 as a single-entry plug system? Maybe it's not so much that they have been erroneously believing it was single-entry, which contradicts everything they encounter in Q, but rather that for some reason it would have been logical that Gendo wouldn't need a dual system with how he intends to use 13?

Otherwise, it's just not computing in my head.
Après moi le déluge!

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:58 pm

Maybe it's a translation issue. The Reichu translation gives:

(Beast Eva-02's A.T. Field body ruptures.
The two spears impaling Eva 13's chest smoothly slide out, and they fly toward [Eva-02's?] body.
Both hands that were fixed to the pedestal come out of the restraints, and Eva 13 stands up.
When it seizes Eva-02 -- which has returned to normal -- by the neck, its four glowing eyes turn towards Asuka.)

[01:27:56, 1378]

Asuka:
Wasn't it single-entry?

[[Reichu] NOTE: Presumably she's operating on the assumption that four open eyes = two active pilots.]

Under this translation, Asuka isn't surprised about the dual-entry configuration, but about the presence of two pilots at that moment in Unit 13. 3.33 established that the Ayanami type is not suitable for use in Unit 13 in some circumstances (okay, retrieving spears, but let's extend this to Impacting too) and that neo-Nerv's only pilot choices are Ayanamis and Nagisas; if Wille knows these facts then they must go into this battle believing Unit 13 has either zero pilots (if Kaworu is dead) or one pilot (if Kaworu has been zombified). But Wille never guessed that neo-NERV had Asuka's original up its sleeve, enabling the two pilots to be present.

DantesInferno
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby DantesInferno » Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:00 am

View Original Postnerv bae wrote:Maybe it's a translation issue. The Reichu translation gives:

(Beast Eva-02's A.T. Field body ruptures.
The two spears impaling Eva 13's chest smoothly slide out, and they fly toward [Eva-02's?] body.
Both hands that were fixed to the pedestal come out of the restraints, and Eva 13 stands up.
When it seizes Eva-02 -- which has returned to normal -- by the neck, its four glowing eyes turn towards Asuka.)

[01:27:56, 1378]

Asuka:
Wasn't it single-entry?

[[Reichu] NOTE: Presumably she's operating on the assumption that four open eyes = two active pilots.]

Under this translation, Asuka isn't surprised about the dual-entry configuration, but about the presence of two pilots at that moment in Unit 13. 3.33 established that the Ayanami type is not suitable for use in Unit 13 in some circumstances (okay, retrieving spears, but let's extend this to Impacting too) and that neo-Nerv's only pilot choices are Ayanamis and Nagisas; if Wille knows these facts then they must go into this battle believing Unit 13 has either zero pilots (if Kaworu is dead) or one pilot (if Kaworu has been zombified). But Wille never guessed that neo-NERV had Asuka's original up its sleeve, enabling the two pilots to be present.

Two pairs of eyes, interesting. Not so much the arms; in 3.0, Shinji alone is able to operate the two pairs of arms in order to pull the two spears. Granted, Kaworu is still in there in his entry plug, but his controls have been severed...

But this is the first meaningful explanation I hear for Asuka's surprised reaction. Time and again it feels like Anno is ruthlessly ahead, moving forward and expecting us to do the impossible and just catch up... :D

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:10 am

But doesn't this present the same problem? Why wouldn't Wille foresee that Gendo would have another pilot at-hand?
Après moi le déluge!

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:18 am

View Original PostAxx°N N. wrote:But doesn't this present the same problem? Why wouldn't Wille foresee that Gendo would have another pilot at-hand?

I think there's an accepted theory that NTE establishes only five pilots available, period: Ayanamis (as many as you want!), Nagisas (only one coffin's worth at a time, please), Ikaris (just one), Shikinamis (only one still active -- or so we thought!), and Makinamis (who knows lol). Unlike in NGE, where there's an entire Marduk class of pilot candidates, we just get these five in NTE. Under that restriction, neo-Nerv after the timeskip only has access to the first two, because Shinji, Asuka, and Mari are out of its reach (and protected by lots of explosive collars, etc.). Wille thus believes that neo-Nerv cannot operate Unit 13 with two pilots because 1) Ayanamis don't work and 2) Nagisa is a one-off / dead. The surprise appearance of Asuka's original shows this belief by Wille to be tragically wrong.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”