Waiting for Evangelion:3.0+1.0

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
penguintruth
Lilith

Re: Waiting for Evangelion:3.0+1.0

•      
  •      

Postby penguintruth » Sat May 15, 2021 6:26 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:
View Original Postpenguintruth#922875 wrote:I can take or leave Keith, it all varies from scene to scene.

Okay, I have almost no dog in any dub discussion, but Allison Ship-Keith as Misato was the best aspect of ADV's dub for me. Her voice is basically the English-sounding version of the Japanese personality, and it makes me happy.

She definitely has a good voice for the character, but I feel like some of the actual line deliveries are off at times. Mostly in the ADV dub, but a little in the Rebuild dubs, too. I don't know, maybe it's just because she can't compete with Kotono Mitsuishi.

baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Sat May 15, 2021 7:01 pm

Spencer seems very insistent that it's not Shinji and I don't see any reason not to believe him. Sorry, fans of the Funi dub.

Italyzpizza
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Italyzpizza » Sat May 15, 2021 7:03 pm

View Original Postbaldur wrote:Spencer seems very insistent that it's not Shinji and I don't see any reason not to believe him. Sorry, fans of the Funi dub.

Then again, it's still too early as to who's licensing the film for America. Maybe we won't be seeing anyone working on dubbing the film until much further notice.

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Sat May 15, 2021 8:00 pm

The dub's like 99% confirmed and verified to have been finished since January. The same source mentioned that since then they'd been working on re-dubbing the first three movies.

In the absence of further evidence, Occam's Razor says that the Netflix cast is doing the dub.

Italyzpizza
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Italyzpizza » Sat May 15, 2021 8:21 pm

I dunno about that, TBH... if Netflix truly WAS redubbing the movies, we'd probably know by now.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sat May 15, 2021 9:50 pm

View Original PostItalyzpizza wrote:I dunno about that, TBH... if Netflix truly WAS redubbing the movies, we'd probably know by now.

It would be the dubbing company Bang Zoom, Netflix dub is just the title of that has been given to that version since it was aired via Netflix. And we don't know anything concrete about the international release, so I don't think it's unusual that we don't know the dubbing info as they'd all be under NDA's right now.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Sun May 16, 2021 2:36 am

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:
View Original PostItalyzpizza#922934 wrote:I dunno about that, TBH... if Netflix truly WAS redubbing the movies, we'd probably know by now.

It would be the dubbing company Bang Zoom, Netflix dub is just the title of that has been given to that version since it was aired via Netflix. And we don't know anything concrete about the international release, so I don't think it's unusual that we don't know the dubbing info as they'd all be under NDA's right now.

Fairly sure it was VSI that handled the Netflix dub and not Bang Zoom.

pooplmao
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby pooplmao » Sun May 16, 2021 4:07 am

View Original Postbobgoesw00t wrote:Good news everyone! Roughly three hours ago, Spike Spencer posted the following on his twitter account:
https://twitter.com/spikespencer/status/1393404702964912129?s=21 and since there’s only one role he’s known for doing still to this day, I think it’s a safe bet THEY’VE STARTED WORK IN THE ENGLISH DUB OF 3.0+1.0!!!!!!!!!! So while this is bad news for anyone wanting the Netflix fast to do the final movie, we should still be VERY thankful that it’s only a matter of time before the bluray release of the dub is here!

I have not seen the dub of the rebuilds or the of series, is it worth watching, because I am a little iffy about all dubs, not even all anime, if a movie is dubbed in something other than it's original language, me no likey, should I go out of the way to watch the dub, is it good? Or just stick with the original wonderfully casted jp?

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun May 16, 2021 5:51 am

If you're happy, stick with the original; the English dubs will not provide any new revelations.

If you want to watched the series dubbed, try the Netflix one first; it has less problems than the older ADV one.

If you want to watch Rebuild dubbed, note that (a) some key cast members are the same as the ADV series dub, and (b) it is not yet known whether they will be employed again to do a dub of the last film.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun May 16, 2021 6:24 am

View Original PostItalyzpizza wrote:I dunno about that, TBH... if Netflix truly WAS redubbing the movies, we'd probably know by now.

I very much doubt that, actually. We didn't know anything about the dub Netflix was using until the official announcements were made, which came out way too late for the liking of most EGF users.

And, iirc, people tried to uncover information prematurely. Phone calls were made to various dubbing companies, questions were being asked of the old dub cast, people were trying to find leaked dub scripts.... and we still got nothing until official announcements were made.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sun May 16, 2021 8:44 am

Yeah, we didn't actually find out until the show was released even.

And I thought it was Bang Zoom for some reason, but I could very well be wrong.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

bobgoesw00t
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby bobgoesw00t » Sun May 16, 2021 10:33 am

View Original PostArcher wrote:The dub's like 99% confirmed and verified to have been finished since January. The same source mentioned that since then they'd been working on re-dubbing the first three movies.

In the absence of further evidence, Occam's Razor says that the Netflix cast is doing the dub.

Is there any source for this information? Also, IMO Occam's Razor would suggest that it would be Spike Spencer and the previous cast members coming back cause to switch the ENTIRE cast when there's only one movie left would not only be EXTREMELY petty, but it would also be a disservice to everyone who's poured so much time and energy into the Rebuild at this point. If they want to redub the entire film series at one point I'm perfectly OK with that, but I think it would be nice if they could let Spike, Tiffany, and Alison go out with a bang! I mean is that too much to ask for...also Spike posted a video of him getting a 5 A.M. wake-up call with some speakers BLASTING that they needed to evacuate (it was a false alarm and he was totally done with that bull$h!t) and he was wearing a Kaworu T-shirt...which is probably me just over analyzing everything at this point xD
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

JupiterCallisto
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby JupiterCallisto » Sun May 16, 2021 11:30 am

View Original Postpooplmao wrote:
View Original Postbobgoesw00t#922838 wrote:Good news everyone! Roughly three hours ago, Spike Spencer posted the following on his twitter account:
https://twitter.com/spikespencer/status/1393404702964912129?s=21 and since there’s only one role he’s known for doing still to this day, I think it’s a safe bet THEY’VE STARTED WORK IN THE ENGLISH DUB OF 3.0+1.0!!!!!!!!!! So while this is bad news for anyone wanting the Netflix fast to do the final movie, we should still be VERY thankful that it’s only a matter of time before the bluray release of the dub is here!

I have not seen the dub of the rebuilds or the of series, is it worth watching, because I am a little iffy about all dubs, not even all anime, if a movie is dubbed in something other than it's original language, me no likey, should I go out of the way to watch the dub, is it good? Or just stick with the original wonderfully casted jp?

You seem to already not like dubs in the first place so I would say that you would get nothing out of any of them.

I would still recommend the ADV dub over Netflix because the performances feel more natural and the dialogue is a lot smoother. Anno tried getting the ADV cast to use the scripts he had prepared for an English dub in the 90's but didn't have enough clout to force them so they refused and we got the iconic script we do now.

The Netflix dub is more accurate but the characters feel like aliens. When everything is falling to crap in EoE and Misato sees Shinji on the monitor having another breakdown in the OG dub all Misato can mutter is "Oh Dear God" which seems realistic to how bad this situation has gotten and is getting by the minute but in Netflix's dub she just says "What's he doing?".

The second might be more accurate or whatever but the first has heart and given its a series about people I prefer that. For you though, I'd just keep sticking with Japanese if you don't like dubs in the first place.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sun May 16, 2021 11:45 am

I understand that if you're just hearing this now that Occam's Razor would dictate that the original cast will be finishing the series.

But, over the past decade there's been clear fractures in the relationship between Khara and FUNimation. Khara made FUNimation redub 3.0 in 2014 after they found their original dub unsatisfactory. FUNimation then took two full years to release the BD for reasons that are unclear, but it was an unreasonable amount of time.

Then Khara chose Netflix for streaming of NGE. FUNimations President then publicly complained that Khara chose Netflix over them, and came off as petty themselves. Khara then had full control of the dubbing process and translation, and no matter how you feel about it, it's a good deal from Khara's standpoint.

Currently, FUNimations licence for the rebuild movies appear to be expired. Their social media team has not mentioned Evangelion at all recently, and there's no official word from Khara either, but it sure looks like they want a clean break from the past.

So that's me trying to explain why many don't think FUNimation is getting the last film and Khara is going to redub the earlier films without interjecting any personal bias. Just trying to show that this isn't being pulled out of thin air

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Sun May 16, 2021 1:27 pm

I have no horse in this race, I don’t plan on watching the dubbed version anyways (apart from not really liking Funimation as a company for reasons unrelated to Evangelion) but the basic facts are as follows:
1. From all available evidence, Khara and Funimation are not on good terms, possibly having to do with Funi’s handling of 3.0. Evidence of such is listed in the post above.
2. It was rumored, and later independently confirmed by a forum member, that the dub for 3.0+1.0 had already been finished for a while, and that the first three movies were being re-dubbed. While this is technically down to whether or not you want to believe the source, this is the only info we have at the moment and lines up with credible sources about other foreign-language subs.

Right now, all available evidence points toward the new cast being used. Frankly, the idea that they’d let the original cast dub the movie as a “nice gesture” just seems extremely naive and childish. This is business, people don’t do things just to be nice.

bobgoesw00t
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby bobgoesw00t » Sun May 16, 2021 2:52 pm

View Original PostArcher wrote:2. It was rumored, and later independently confirmed by a forum member, that the dub for 3.0+1.0 had already been finished for a while, and that the first three movies were being re-dubbed. While this is technically down to whether or not you want to believe the source, this is the only info we have at the moment and lines up with credible sources about other foreign-language subs.

I'll believe that the dub has been done for a while when I see an article from a source like Anime News Network and the like. Regardless of which cast ends up doing/did the dub, I'll be a happy human once I've seen the movie in all of its two-and-a-half-hour glory. It'll be even better if Anno-san gave Shinji and Kaworu the happy ending those two boyfriends have deserved for roughly A QUARTER OF A CENTURY and I'll be one of the happiest Kawoshin shippers in the world. On a side note, this is what I want to be the last thing I see on screen (even though it probably doesn't happen I can dream xD):
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

Italyzpizza
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Italyzpizza » Sun May 16, 2021 3:04 pm

View Original Postbobgoesw00t wrote:I'll believe that the dub has been done for a while when I see an article from a source like Anime News Network and the like.

To be perfectly honest, I'd have to agree with you there.

penguintruth
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby penguintruth » Sun May 16, 2021 3:45 pm

If it isn’t the final Rebuild movie he’s working on, I wonder what Spencer meant.

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Sun May 16, 2021 3:54 pm

The idea of all four New Evangelion Movies being available to stream on netflix hopefully before the end of the year got me giddy as hell. They've been officially unavailable for soooo long despite being listed as "coming soon" on google play for years now. Besides, netflix is the perfect place to be the hub for a franchise that sexualizes underage characters.
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sun May 16, 2021 4:19 pm

Also, since Netflix is being thrown around here, the rumors all suggest that it will be Amazon Prime that will stream the films. This is corroborated by the fact that's were they're streamed in Japan.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”