Evangelion VS RahXephon your thoughts.

A forum for discussing the filmmakers and artists associated with Khara, Trigger, or Gainax, but apart from their studio projects.

Moderator: Board Staff

Rahxephon
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Rahxephon » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:03 pm

View Original PostJune wrote:Haha i'm currently watching Rahxephon and am really liking it, the similarities with Eva are superficial at best. The art and music in this show are beautiful too.

Oh totally the music is phenomenal one of the bests parts of the show. which is cool because the show has a lot to do with music. instead of third Impact and human instrumentality we have tuning the world etc.

Only anime where I watched the ending credits every episode because the song is so damn good. good intro too!
Fav animes -
1. Rahxephon 2. Evangelion 3. Gurren Lagan 4. Saint Seiya / Saint Seiya Omega 5. Samurai Champloo 6. Un Go 7. Death Note 8. Eureka 7 / Ao 9. Fate Zero 10. Rurouni Kenshin 11. K Project 12. Code Geass 13. Gun x Sword

Jurrasic
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Jurrasic » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:36 pm

Aaaah RahXephon. Like so many, after being blown away by the awesomeness of Eva who went looking for similar anime, Rah was first on the list. And thus we realize that we don't REALLY always want what we wish for.

Viewed outside of (and some time away from) the spectre of Evangelion, it's a pretty damn good Brave Raideen remake.

Viewed right after Evangelion, it's a shameless and piss poor knockoff with better art direction and sound, but piss poor characters, storyline and mecha/kaiju.

I was brutally disappointed after first viewing, especially the ending which was a more shameless then the rest of the series knockoff of EoE. However watching it again years later, I am able to enjoy it on it's own merits quite a lot better. While Ayato is the most boring, juiceless protagagonist in all anime, some of the supporting characters, the ones who aren't giggling smug snakes or direct clones of Eva cast, come off fairly interesting. The story is also far better the 2nd time around, though it suffers from some terrible pacing flaws and the ending is still a shameless EoE knockoff no matter what.

The music is absolutely the best thing about this series, especially the title song. Easily up there with GITS:SAC, Noir and other legendary themes.

So yeah, worth watching, but NOT if you've recently discovered and fallen in love with Evangelion. :)
"Yes ladies and gentlemen, in France Asuka swears like a sailor and confirms that she's the butch of her apparent lesbian relationship with Mari, Mari insults people that ignore her, and Shinji Ikari tells to Sakura Suzuhara and Misato Katsuragi to go fuck themselves!" -ElMariachi

Rahxephon
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Rahxephon » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:43 am

View Original Postuniversalperson wrote:Next topic: Xenogears!

Xenogears is the absolute shit.

Best video game storyline of all time.

Does Xenogears have its own thread to discuss here in relation to evangelion?

If not I should make one!
Fav animes -
1. Rahxephon 2. Evangelion 3. Gurren Lagan 4. Saint Seiya / Saint Seiya Omega 5. Samurai Champloo 6. Un Go 7. Death Note 8. Eureka 7 / Ao 9. Fate Zero 10. Rurouni Kenshin 11. K Project 12. Code Geass 13. Gun x Sword

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:06 pm

Just finished, was really good, liked it..... a lot....... but........ I thought the whole cougar relationship was gross and lame, the Shinji/Misato relationship was done a lot better.(well everything was done a lot better in EVA, but I think that about every Anime that is'nt EVA so moot point.) Anyways, the end got them the same age again anyways so it all tied nicely I suppose.

All in all, was top 10 material for me, I just hope the movie does'nt suck as bad as the Eureka Seven movie did.

EDIT: Oh yea the into was awesome in this!
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:49 pm

View Original PostJurrasic wrote:
Viewed outside of (and some time away from) the spectre of Evangelion, it's a pretty damn good Brave Raideen remake.

Viewed right after Evangelion, it's a shameless and piss poor knockoff with better art direction and sound, but piss poor characters, storyline and mecha/kaiju.

Yeah for awhile I've been hearing the rahxephon apoligists site that this anime was a remake of Raideen and therefore wasn't ripping off eva. Anyway I finnally got around to watching Raideen, currently I'm through the first 18 episodes of it. But I think I've seen enough to say that what probably happened here is the Rahxephon director probably said something along the lines of "Do you know what would make this Raideen anime a lot better? If we made it like evangelion!"

I really wish that when they made the Rahxephon motion picture they had actually made a real movie instead of a clipshow production. I rented the dvd and was expecting a new take on the series and then I was like "wait a minute, this stuff is awfully familiar..."
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:15 am

Thanks to tvtropes' Crowning Music of Awesome page, I came across one thing in RahX that was definitely copied from Evangelion. This music piece.

Years ago, when I joined the forum, I thought RahX was an Evangelion clone. Of course, I no longer think so and no longer care about the entire ridiculous fuss, but this track was too hilarious to pass up! :hahaha: (Not that all Eva tracks are entirely original either, but there's just something about a copy of a copy...)
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Slowpokeking
Sachiel
Sachiel

RahXephon and Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Slowpokeking » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:32 pm

Just finished RahXephon. Sure you can see some similarities between the two series. The beginning, a lot of inner conflict and growth of characters.

I think the characterization and the relationship was well written in RahXephon, but the tempo was not intense enough. EVA's tempo was overall well handled. RahXephon mostly has a loose main plot line, a lot of the focus was on the supporting individuals, it's nice to view at short stories but not so good as a series.

I watched it because Haruka's character was quite different than Misato, Misato is openly attractive and Haruka was the "not so pretty" type for the later twist, she wasn't that much a hothead, which I am fine with it.

But I just don't like the "they were at the same age, that girl was her in her youth", why can't the age difference be real and let Ayato just love her all along instead of being attracted to her young image? Mature woman can be so beautiful. Their relationship was fine, but I think lacks of Misato and Shinji's similarity which bond them together.
Bumped this one instead of creating a new thread - Blockio

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

Re: RahXephon and Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Lavinius » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:23 pm

As one might guess from my avatar, I quite like Rahx.

View Original PostSlowpokeking wrote:Misato is openly attractive and Haruka was the "not so pretty" type for the later twist

Taste varies- I find Haruka considerably more attractive than Misato (and Reika is absolutely exquisite).

Certainly when I first watched it I was constantly comparing it to Eva, but on the second viewing I was comparing it to itself. It's a lot less competent and less well-written than Eva, but it has a lot of neat ideas and æsthetics, and I pretty much find it the more charming for its flaws.

Maya is the best character. Everything about her is divine.

I will say that the ending would have been greatly improved by
SPOILER: Show
cutting directly from the World-Egg to the meeting-Haruka flashback, leaving the exact nature of the transformed world ambiguous.
~ibi cubávit Lamia, et invénit sibi reiquiem~

Slowpokeking
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Slowpokeking » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:51 am

View Original PostLavinius wrote:As one might guess from my avatar, I quite like Rahx.

View Original PostSlowpokeking#917513 wrote:Misato is openly attractive and Haruka was the "not so pretty" type for the later twist

Taste varies- I find Haruka considerably more attractive than Misato (and Reika is absolutely exquisite).

Certainly when I first watched it I was constantly comparing it to Eva, but on the second viewing I was comparing it to itself. It's a lot less competent and less well-written than Eva, but it has a lot of neat ideas and æsthetics, and I pretty much find it the more charming for its flaws.

Maya is the best character. Everything about her is divine.

I will say that the ending would have been greatly improved by
SPOILER: Show
cutting directly from the World-Egg to the meeting-Haruka flashback, leaving the exact nature of the transformed world ambiguous.

I don't think anyone is more attractive than Misato since she is my favorite. As for Haruka, I mean I like her but she require time and effort to get her and obviously wasn't set to be "very beautiful woman" unlike Misato was openly recognized as a very beautiful woman and was many ppl's crush in the show. They are very different characters. I don't feel that ending satisfy me if I put Shinji/Misato in.

RahXephon got ideas/character settings, but the overall plot was not intense enough, it felt quite loose, if you pay attention you could get some stuff but a good show shouldn't ask you to do it. That Hiroko episode was shocking but had little impact in the later plot.

I just think that the whole "same age" was unnecessary. Why does age matter and why do you need to give her a so called "beautiful young appearance". Remove that and I would like it a lot better.

EvaChero
Ramiel
Ramiel

Re: Evangelion VS RahXephon your thoughts.

•      
  •      

Postby EvaChero » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:04 pm

Watched this a while back and enjoyed it a lot....as has been said I thought the music was great especially the opening theme.

I actually like Haruka a lot...the idea IIRC that she had been pining away for the main character for years on the outside and was
overjoyed to be with him again was very emotional, it felt like she was trying to remain aloof because of the age difference at
some times but lost herself at others. Made her seem more real to me. I think it's time I did a re-watch.

P.S. the whole "Jupiter Effect" thing was entertainingly bizarro. Time dilation indeed!
who doesn't want to kick back with Misato and have a few beers?

Slowpokeking
Sachiel
Sachiel

Re: Evangelion VS RahXephon your thoughts.

•      
  •      

Postby Slowpokeking » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:16 pm

View Original PostEvaChero wrote:Watched this a while back and enjoyed it a lot....as has been said I thought the music was great especially the opening theme.

I actually like Haruka a lot...the idea IIRC that she had been pining away for the main character for years on the outside and was
overjoyed to be with him again was very emotional, it felt like she was trying to remain aloof because of the age difference at
some times but lost herself at others. Made her seem more real to me. I think it's time I did a re-watch.

P.S. the whole "Jupiter Effect" thing was entertainingly bizarro. Time dilation indeed!

Haruka is very good, which is why she should just be herself, not to add some "you guys are schoolmates of same age".

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Lavinius » Sun May 02, 2021 9:20 pm

View Original PostSlowpokeking wrote:I don't think anyone is more attractive than Misato since she is my favorite. As for Haruka, I mean I like her but she require time and effort to get her and obviously wasn't set to be "very beautiful woman" unlike Misato was openly recognized as a very beautiful woman and was many ppl's crush in the show. They are very different characters. I don't feel that ending satisfy me if I put Shinji/Misato in.

I just think that the whole "same age" was unnecessary. Why does age matter and why do you need to give her a so called "beautiful young appearance". Remove that and I would like it a lot better.

Haruka is treated as highly desirable- she had Ayato crushing on her from day one, Itsuki simping over her, and Makoto blackmailing her into sleeping with him. Sure, you don't get whole scenes of men drooling over her like Misato (and Quon, lol) get, but why do you need that? The audience can look at her and tell that she's attractive for themselves.

I do think that Tokyo Jupiter and the time dilation stuff were rather underdeveloped, but there's no denying that "romance disrupted by time dilation" aspect is supposed to be one of the fundamental premises of the show. It's central to Haruka's character and informs so many of her actions. She'd be an entirely different character without it.
~ibi cubávit Lamia, et invénit sibi reiquiem~

Slowpokeking
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Slowpokeking » Sat May 15, 2021 2:04 pm

View Original PostLavinius wrote:Haruka is treated as highly desirable- she had Ayato crushing on her from day one, Itsuki simping over her, and Makoto blackmailing her into sleeping with him. Sure, you don't get whole scenes of men drooling over her like Misato (and Quon, lol) get, but why do you need that? The audience can look at her and tell that she's attractive for themselves.

I do think that Tokyo Jupiter and the time dilation stuff were rather underdeveloped, but there's no denying that "romance disrupted by time dilation" aspect is supposed to be one of the fundamental premises of the show. It's central to Haruka's character and informs so many of her actions. She'd be an entirely different character without it.

I like Haruka, but many fans I've seen complain about her being unattractive at all. I understand it, she is a woman with charisma, but you need time and interaction to see it. Misato is different, she is easily attractive the first moment you see her.

Sure it is interesting, but I just don't like it since I want to look at a true "older woman and young boy's love story".

Return to “Related to the Filmmakers and Artists”