The new 27 seconds of Shin

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Re: The new 27 seconds of Shin

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu May 13, 2021 11:18 am

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:I think Kaworu called Rei Q a lillim imitation, because she doesn't have a soul in her body.

Specifically, he calls her a 模造品, mozouhin. “Fake”, “ersatz”, or “imitation” would all be pretty on point.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu May 13, 2021 11:45 am

so not the same word. thats what i wanted to comfirm.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu May 13, 2021 12:11 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:
View Original PostKonja7#922673 wrote:I think Kaworu called Rei Q a lillim imitation, because she doesn't have a soul in her body.

Specifically, he calls her a 模造品, mozouhin. “Fake”, “ersatz”, or “imitation” would all be pretty on point.

Thinking about it, that was a bit cold from him, no?

View Original PostAxx°N N. wrote:If you're overly afraid of boring your audience, sure, but many a director have made incredible pieces out of 'nothing happening.' Who wouldn't want to see the Red Earth anime version of Stalker? The fact the landscape is glossed over is a wasted opportunity to me. I'm not even arguing really that it needed any more than 10 minutes--but just a ~1 minute montage?

It also wouldn't fit the narrative theme of Shin: Q is the movie about losing all hope, Shin is the movie about regaining said hope, so having Shin opening with a long trek among the lifeless ruins of the world hammering how everything looks hopeless wouldn't fit with the narrative, again unless something else happens during this sequence.
Last edited by ElMariachi on Thu May 13, 2021 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Derantor » Thu May 13, 2021 12:28 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:"Pseudo" is no more perfectly good than it is banally bland.

The only bland thing here is your habit of doing translations that rob the original of a lot of meaning, leaving us with translations so broad as to be almost useless. I have to think back to your refusal to translate the sentence uttered by Midori asking for confirmation of Misato's standing orders to shoot Shinji on sight in a straightforward way, implying that it would be a dangerous breach of the moral imperative of the Guild of Translators to translate the sentence in a way that implies that there are these orders to begin with - when the movie itself outright states in a previous scene that there was such a standing order. For somebody who "is definitively known to live in Japan, speak Japanese, work as a professional translator, and to have actually seen the movie in question", I would have expected better - you claim to have been unable to properly translate the sentence because of missing context, when you should have known the context better than any of us, as you have seen the movie and speak perfect Japanese, so you should be able to follow along without any trouble at all. In hindsight, your preferred translation was outright misleading.

In other words: arguments from authority are just that, a logical fallacy. You yourself warned that "When you read a work in translation, you're not reading the original work, ever. You're always reading the writings of the translator." It becomes obvious here again that when reading your translations, we have to take them with a grain of salt. Because - what's the difference between a "fake Lilin", a "faux Lilin", a "pseudo-Lilin", or a "lilin-esque being"? Well, whatever it is, it is stil a far cry from translating it simply as "You are still like the Lilin", completely removing all indications of fakeness or artificiality from the sentence, when those connotations are clearly there in the original. That changes the intended meaning of the sentence much more than nitpicky arguments whether or not it should be "pesudo" or ""esque" or "faux" or "Ersatz". And looking at the movie, finding other instances of the word-usage in question, and making inferences from that, is not more ridiculous than invoking a French translator musing about the connotations of English words while trying to figure out what a Japanese sentence is trying to say is - especially because "faux" is still much closer to "pseudo" or "imitation" than it is to "you are still like the Lilin."
My writing on Ao3 and FFN

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Thu May 13, 2021 12:44 pm

View Original PostDerantor wrote:The only bland thing here is your habit of doing translations that rob the original of a lot of meaning, leaving us with translations so broad as to be almost useless. I have to think back to your refusal to translate the sentence uttered by Midori asking for confirmation of Misato's standing orders to shoot Shinji on sight in a straightforward way, implying that it would be a dangerous breach of the moral imperative of the Guild of Translators to translate the sentence in a way that implies that there are these orders to begin with - when the movie itself outright states in a previous scene that there was such a standing order. For somebody who "is definitively known to live in Japan, speak Japanese, work as a professional translator, and to have actually seen the movie in question", I would have expected better - you claim to have been unable to properly translate the sentence because of missing context, when you should have known the context better than any of us, as you have seen the movie and speak perfect Japanese, so you should be able to follow along without any trouble at all. In hindsight, your preferred translation was outright misleading.

One thing, Nuclear Lunchbox has never said to speak perfect Japanese. In fact, he has said he has problems to understand spoken Japanese.

You don't need to speak a language to translate the writing. For example: I could understand everything you write in English, but I would have many problems to understand what you speak.
Last edited by Konja7 on Thu May 13, 2021 3:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu May 13, 2021 12:52 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:It also wouldn't fit the narrative theme of Shin: Q is the movie about losing all hope, Shin is the movie about regaining said home, so having Shin opening with a long trek among the lifeless ruins of the world hammering how everything looks hopeless wouldn't fit with the narrative, again unless something else happens during this sequence.

I suspect that either a longer version this montage or a 2-5 min long sequence was supposed to follow at the end of Q (which is why peaceful times/ until you come to be followed so soon after) but Anno decided to end it earlier, either to have it be mysterious or cause he decided to do that when he wasn't burned out anymore, but then once he actually started working on Shin he didn't feel like rehashing it.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Thu May 13, 2021 3:26 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Thinking about it, that was a bit cold from him, no?

Yeah. I think Kaworu was just trying to describe Rei Q's situation, but it was a bit cold.

Maybe he doesn't know Rei Q could have her own will and feelings.

Another thing, Rei Q seems to be the sixth Rei clone, so Kaworu should also known Rei III, Rei IV and Rei V.
Last edited by Konja7 on Thu May 13, 2021 3:47 pm, edited 7 times in total.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu May 13, 2021 3:34 pm

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:
View Original PostElMariachi#922682 wrote:Thinking about it, that was a bit cold from him, no?

Yeah. I think Kaworu was just trying to describe Rei Q's situation, but it was a bit cold.

Maybe he doesn't know Rei Q could have her own will and feelings.

WILLE also probably met them during the timeskip, since Asuka was able to guess at a glance that Rei Q was one of the "early models".
That makes me think, once Shin will be released and this subforum and the Rebuild one merged back, shall we call her Rei 6?
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Thu May 13, 2021 3:39 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:WILLE also probably met them during the timeskip, since Asuka was able to guess at a glance that Rei Q was one of the "early models".
That makes me think, once Shin will be released and this subforum and the Rebuild one merged back, shall we call her Rei 6?

I would say Asuka likely knows about Ayanami series since Ha. However, the 2.0 preview implies the pilots would probably meet a Rei clone.

I think it would be fine to mantain Rei Q. It's more unique than another number.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu May 13, 2021 3:48 pm

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:
View Original PostElMariachi#922710 wrote:WILLE also probably met them during the timeskip, since Asuka was able to guess at a glance that Rei Q was one of the "early models".

I would say Asuka likely knows about Ayanami series since Ha. However, the 2.0 preview implies the pilots would probably meet a Rei clone.

I think it would be fine to mantain Rei Q. It's more unique than another number.

A lot of Asuka's scenes in Ha take on a entirely new light if we imagine that she already knew about the Shikinami and Ayanami series back then.

one-eyed
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby one-eyed » Thu May 13, 2021 6:31 pm

ElMariachi wrote: WILLE also probably met them during the timeskip, since Asuka was able to guess at a glance that Rei Q was one of the "early models".

Aren't these clones the Pilots of the other Neo-Nerv Wunders? So, Wille should have known about them.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu May 13, 2021 6:42 pm

ElMariachi wrote:
Nuclear Lunchbox wrote:

Thinking about it, that was a bit cold from him, no?

It is! When I watched Q for the first time with subs, I didn't speak Japanese and that was lost on me. It's quite cold coming from Kaworu and now it makes me wonder more about his relationship with Rei.
Derantor wrote:
It becomes obvious here again that when reading your translations, we have to take them with a grain of salt. Because - what's the difference between a "fake Lilin", a "faux Lilin", a "pseudo-Lilin", or a "lilin-esque being"? Well, whatever it is, it is stil a far cry from translating it simply as "You are still like the Lilin", completely removing all indications of fakeness or artificiality from the sentence, when those connotations are clearly there in the original.

The worst kind of fan is the one who knows just enough Japanese to think they know better than people who make a career out of translation. I don't expect you to know anything about what is or isn't "clear", since your best resource is an English dictionary. Go ahead and make whatever misinformed statements you like.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Thu May 13, 2021 10:54 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:It is! When I watched Q for the first time with subs, I didn't speak Japanese and that was lost on me. It's quite cold coming from Kaworu and now it makes me wonder more about his relationship with Rei.

In the context, Kaworu seems to call Rei Q a lillim imitation, because she doesn't have a soul in her body.

I guess he doesn't expect a souless body would have her own emotions or will. Curiously, zombie Kaworu doesn't seem to have a will, but his fingers sometimes flutter.

In fact, it's possible Rei Q is an exception and develop a will, due to her contact with Rei's soul in Q.

Another theory I have is that Kaworu see Rei Q only as an extension of Rei Ayanami, but not her own being. This theory is inspired by their interactions in Evangelion Battlefields.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri May 14, 2021 5:51 am

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:Another theory I have is that Kaworu see Rei Q only as an extension of Rei Ayanami, but not her own being. This theory is inspired by their interactions in Evangelion Battlefields.

Where did you saw the translatios of Eva Battlefields? Also do you know how much is the Khara staff involved in it?

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Fri May 14, 2021 6:02 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Where did you saw the translatios of Eva Battlefields? Also do you know how much is the Khara staff involved in it?

You can find the translations to the dialogues in this page (it is in the Episodes section in the google drive folder):

https://evabfeng.carrd.co/#translations

I just know it is licensed by Khara. I don't know if the staff is involved (that's why I said "inspired").

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri May 14, 2021 7:08 pm

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:You can find the translations to the dialogues in this page (it is in the Episodes section in the google drive folder):

https://evabfeng.carrd.co/#translations

I just know it is licensed by Khara. I don't know if the staff is involved (that's why I said "inspired").

Thank you, that's a little gold mine of what ifs! :D
LONG tangent on Evangelion Battlefield  SPOILER: Show
If I remember well what someone explained in another thread, the story of Battlefields is actually a bunch of simulations made by a MAGI Achiral (for reasons unknown to everyone) where it simulate different "scenarios" by adding two new characters: a new pilot candidate and... a therapist! :rofl:
And you feel that this computer doesn't' bother much with realism, since one of said scenarios has those new characters in neo-NERV! :hitthetable:

I checked several events and the description of items, and it looks like the people who worked on it either didn't know about Shin's events or were instructed to not give away information in their game, because there are several elements that contradicts what we know from Shin (although that could be chalked to the fact that this is all a simulation): Shinji immediately recognize Mari when he sees her after the timeskip, Mari and Asuka live in separate room, the description for the item "Asuka's doll" says that it's a memento of her mother (while we know from Shin that she doesn't have one), one scene has Shinji ask Sakura if Toji is going well and she can't respond, as if he was dead, and even more damning, one of the dialogue implies that WILLE still has to fight Angels on top of neo-NERV! :cringe:

It's pretty jarring to see the contrast between the two available map (Tokyo-3 pre-N3I and the Wunder + neo-NERV HQ): the first one has an entire side of the gameplay about developing and upgrading Tokyo-3 and its defenses, with a few already established "story buildings" where the scenario scenes happen... and in the second map all the "buildings" are story buildings, because there's nothing else left. :raincloud: (I guess that could had worked if Shin had a giant "Lilin City" like we speculated for so long)

I've seen the scenes between Kaworu and Rei Q, and Kaworu as always is very cryptic, saying that Rei Q is "different" but that with time her "heart" will manifest, and one of his lines is that the memories and bond you make stay engraved into your soul, which is what happened to Rei II in Shin (hence why she has a Tsubame doll in her arms)

From what I understand, scenarios 3 and 4 both happen during the events of Q, but are two separate continuities: one follows the events of Q, but with the two OCs at neo-NERV and Shinji stays longer in the Wunder before being retrieved by Rei Q, and the other has the two OC being part of WILLE (or soon to be for the pilot) and Rei Q's retrieval operation never happens, so he stays in the Wunder all along.
And this latest scenario gave us something I always hoped to see but never got in Shin: actual interactions and exploration of the characters of the Wunder crew, pilots included! :w00t:
The beginning of Mari and Nagara's friendship is wholesome btw! And we learn that Midori is kind of a slacker, that Takao is the old man full of wisdom and always ready to help his juniors, that Maya became a tyrant in her aisle that everyone fears, that Sakura is a saint...

And then comes Shinji... and here damn, it's hard to see, the poor kid gets near constantly shat on, it's like there's a competition among the Wunder crew on who will be the biggest asshole toward him: the story goes with the interpretation that WILLE purposefully didn't tell him anything about what happened to Rei, or the world, or what he did, or what happened to Asuka, or even why he shouldn't pilot anymore, hell they didn't even told him that there aren't Angels anymore! The only thing that they keep repeating when he ask anything is that this "irrelevant information" and that now his "job" is to do absolutely nothing, even when he practically begs if there's something, anything he can do to help. Which of course make him depressed since he's reduced to uselessness and don't even know why... which makes the WILLE people shat more on him for always being depressed! What the actual fuck!? :cringe:
The only people having his back are the two OCs, Mari (who tries to convince Misato to let him participate in the combat simulations-which are the actual gameplay of the game- so he can help the other pilots in their training and feel useful) and Sakura (who again is a saint, eating her meals with him when she sees that he almost doesn't eat, bringing him books and making go out of his cells to cheer him up... a shame we didn't saw more of this side of her in Shin).
At least at some point he's finally allowed to participate in the combat simulation to help the other pilots in their training and given some limited freedom to leave his cell and only with the Captain's authorization (and even then, it's implied that she did that because Ritsuko told her that Shinji might start to resort to self-harm and maybe even suicide if the situation stayed as it was).

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri May 14, 2021 8:15 pm

Obviously it's just a spinoff game in the end, though I feel, one of the better ones, they tried to be serious etc.

I particularly appreciated that the Q-era scenes with ReiQ were appropriately depressing & that they didn't soften the horribleness of the post-timeskip setting too much while still giving us a lil more content for Mari & the new WILLE bridge bunnies.

Makes you imagine a scenario where Shinji was on board for longer in a Nadia-like scenario...

That said, I wonder if they will eventually add a 3rd village themed map.

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Sat May 15, 2021 8:34 am

Nuclear Lunchbox wrote:
The worst kind of fan is the one who knows just enough Japanese to think they know better than people who make a career out of translation. I don't expect you to know anything about what is or isn't "clear", since your best resource is an English dictionary. Go ahead and make whatever misinformed statements you like.

Of course most people here are less acquainted with Japanese than you-that does not mean that they might not have opinions on stuff, especially opinions informed by other people well-acquainted with Japanese (which Reichu actually is). And if you respond to a post meant to engage in further discussion with something along the lines of "I'm better at Japanese than you are, so shut up", I don't see how that makes anyone more inclined to talk with you and believe in what you've said-especially because on both here and EGFD you have acted quite dismissive and gatekeeper-ish when it comes to different translations.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Sat May 15, 2021 10:44 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Thank you, that's a little gold mine of what ifs! :D
LONG tangent on Evangelion Battlefield  SPOILER: Show
If I remember well what someone explained in another thread, the story of Battlefields is actually a bunch of simulations made by a MAGI Achiral (for reasons unknown to everyone) where it simulate different "scenarios" by adding two new characters: a new pilot candidate and... a therapist! :rofl:
And you feel that this computer doesn't' bother much with realism, since one of said scenarios has those new characters in neo-NERV! :hitthetable:

I checked several events and the description of items, and it looks like the people who worked on it either didn't know about Shin's events or were instructed to not give away information in their game, because there are several elements that contradicts what we know from Shin (although that could be chalked to the fact that this is all a simulation): Shinji immediately recognize Mari when he sees her after the timeskip, Mari and Asuka live in separate room, the description for the item "Asuka's doll" says that it's a memento of her mother (while we know from Shin that she doesn't have one), one scene has Shinji ask Sakura if Toji is going well and she can't respond, as if he was dead, and even more damning, one of the dialogue implies that WILLE still has to fight Angels on top of neo-NERV! :cringe:

It's pretty jarring to see the contrast between the two available map (Tokyo-3 pre-N3I and the Wunder + neo-NERV HQ): the first one has an entire side of the gameplay about developing and upgrading Tokyo-3 and its defenses, with a few already established "story buildings" where the scenario scenes happen... and in the second map all the "buildings" are story buildings, because there's nothing else left. :raincloud: (I guess that could had worked if Shin had a giant "Lilin City" like we speculated for so long)

I've seen the scenes between Kaworu and Rei Q, and Kaworu as always is very cryptic, saying that Rei Q is "different" but that with time her "heart" will manifest, and one of his lines is that the memories and bond you make stay engraved into your soul, which is what happened to Rei II in Shin (hence why she has a Tsubame doll in her arms)

From what I understand, scenarios 3 and 4 both happen during the events of Q, but are two separate continuities: one follows the events of Q, but with the two OCs at neo-NERV and Shinji stays longer in the Wunder before being retrieved by Rei Q, and the other has the two OC being part of WILLE (or soon to be for the pilot) and Rei Q's retrieval operation never happens, so he stays in the Wunder all along.
And this latest scenario gave us something I always hoped to see but never got in Shin: actual interactions and exploration of the characters of the Wunder crew, pilots included! :w00t:
The beginning of Mari and Nagara's friendship is wholesome btw! And we learn that Midori is kind of a slacker, that Takao is the old man full of wisdom and always ready to help his juniors, that Maya became a tyrant in her aisle that everyone fears, that Sakura is a saint...

And then comes Shinji... and here damn, it's hard to see, the poor kid gets near constantly shat on, it's like there's a competition among the Wunder crew on who will be the biggest asshole toward him: the story goes with the interpretation that WILLE purposefully didn't tell him anything about what happened to Rei, or the world, or what he did, or what happened to Asuka, or even why he shouldn't pilot anymore, hell they didn't even told him that there aren't Angels anymore! The only thing that they keep repeating when he ask anything is that this "irrelevant information" and that now his "job" is to do absolutely nothing, even when he practically begs if there's something, anything he can do to help. Which of course make him depressed since he's reduced to uselessness and don't even know why... which makes the WILLE people shat more on him for always being depressed! What the actual fuck!? :cringe:
The only people having his back are the two OCs, Mari (who tries to convince Misato to let him participate in the combat simulations-which are the actual gameplay of the game- so he can help the other pilots in their training and feel useful) and Sakura (who again is a saint, eating her meals with him when she sees that he almost doesn't eat, bringing him books and making go out of his cells to cheer him up... a shame we didn't saw more of this side of her in Shin).
At least at some point he's finally allowed to participate in the combat simulation to help the other pilots in their training and given some limited freedom to leave his cell and only with the Captain's authorization (and even then, it's implied that she did that because Ritsuko told her that Shinji might start to resort to self-harm and maybe even suicide if the situation stayed as it was).

It's pretty interesting their interpretation about WILLE's treatment to Shinji if he isn't never "taken" by Neo-NERV.

If they don't have information about Shin, this would only be their impression from Q.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat May 15, 2021 8:53 pm

View Original PostZusuchan wrote:Of course most people here are less acquainted with Japanese than you-that does not mean that they might not have opinions on stuff, especially opinions informed by other people well-acquainted with Japanese (which Reichu actually is). And if you respond to a post meant to engage in further discussion with something along the lines of "I'm better at Japanese than you are, so shut up", I don't see how that makes anyone more inclined to talk with you and believe in what you've said-especially because on both here and EGFD you have acted quite dismissive and gatekeeper-ish when it comes to different translations.

Were the ten paragraphs of reasoning behind why I translated the way I did not enough further discussion? :wink:

Caleb Cook, the translator for My Hero Academia and Doctor Stone, was run off twitter by an angry mob of people who had coalesced around an amateur translation of leaked Shonen Jump pages and were angry that Caleb's translation wasn't letter-accurate the same way the pirated version was. Pro translators take a lot of crap from people who seize on the idea that a given narrative must be true about a show, and that because a character used a given word ("it's in the dictionary!!") that the character must deliver a letter-accurate dictionary translation of that word. It makes me prickly when people insist a ONE TRUE READING popular among fans must be the end-all be-all.

I'm not a fan of gatekeeping writing, playing videogames, being an anime fan, things like that... because those are people's hobbies, things they do because they enjoy them. Translation is a skill-based profession, the sort of thing where knowing what you're doing is important precisely for the reasons listed above. You're speaking for someone else, and there's a level of responsibility that comes along with that.

Language is pretty important in a translation, because you're shaping how people are going to interpret that work as they view it. You can't just rely on what a dictionary or thesaurus tells you without being able to seek out further collocations or being familiar with instances of the word used in translation. It takes a particular mindset when multiple professional translators say "No, this isn't how we would do this" to stubbornly dig in one's heels and insist that those smug Japanese-speakers in their ivory towers must be wrong.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”