Waiting for Evangelion:3.0+1.0

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
bobgoesw00t
Lilith

Re: Waiting for Evangelion:3.0+1.0

•      
  •      

Postby bobgoesw00t » Fri May 14, 2021 5:25 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:It's also US only, I think. Certainly there's no hint of it on Funi's UK website.

I wouldn't know as I live in Ohio and my dogs are slowly driving me nuts. I just took them out 15 minutes ago and now they want out again and I'm like, "NO YOU DERPY DOGS, I JUST TOOK YOU OUT SO YOU'LL HAVE TO WAIT AT LEAST ANOTHER HOUR BEFORE IT HAPPENS AGAIN!!!" xD/OTL
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

bobgoesw00t
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby bobgoesw00t » Sat May 15, 2021 1:20 am

Good news everyone! Roughly three hours ago, Spike Spencer posted the following on his twitter account:
https://twitter.com/spikespencer/status/1393404702964912129?s=21 and since there’s only one role he’s known for doing still to this day, I think it’s a safe bet THEY’VE STARTED WORK IN THE ENGLISH DUB OF 3.0+1.0!!!!!!!!!! So while this is bad news for anyone wanting the Netflix fast to do the final movie, we should still be VERY thankful that it’s only a matter of time before the bluray release of the dub is here!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

Italyzpizza
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Italyzpizza » Sat May 15, 2021 2:28 am

View Original Postbobgoesw00t wrote:Good news everyone! Roughly three hours ago, Spike Spencer posted the following on his twitter account:
https://twitter.com/spikespencer/status/1393404702964912129?s=21 and since there’s only one role he’s known for doing still to this day, I think it’s a safe bet THEY’VE STARTED WORK IN THE ENGLISH DUB OF 3.0+1.0!!!!!!!!!! So while this is bad news for anyone wanting the Netflix fast to do the final movie, we should still be VERY thankful that it’s only a matter of time before the bluray release of the dub is here!

If Spike truly IS returning, I for one will be overjoyed.

pooplmao
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby pooplmao » Sat May 15, 2021 6:04 am

I was just in my classes and the thought that I would never be able to watch 3.0+1.0 in a theatre made me sad. Then I started thinking about how happy I would be if someone booked a theatre just for me to watch all 4 rebuilds. And then I ended up with dark thoughts,
Sometimes I think I need therapy, Then I remember I can just rewatch Evangelion and save myself some money.

FullMetalBiscuit
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FullMetalBiscuit » Sat May 15, 2021 6:48 am

View Original Postbobgoesw00t wrote:Good news everyone! Roughly three hours ago, Spike Spencer posted the following on his twitter account:
https://twitter.com/spikespencer/status/1393404702964912129?s=21 and since there’s only one role he’s known for doing still to this day, I think it’s a safe bet THEY’VE STARTED WORK IN THE ENGLISH DUB OF 3.0+1.0!!!!!!!!!!

While it's a reasonable bet I'm still sceptical that it's Eva. Would be happy if it was, the Rebuild cast is one of the few dubs I enjoy.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat May 15, 2021 8:29 am

I'd actually be surprised is Khara didn't insist on using the Netflix dub cast, given how much control they demanded in the redub of NGE. Granted, I'm not as aware of the workings of international licenses and release formats as I am other aspects of filmmaking, (and the US dubbing industry seems to be in a perpetual state of rowdy adolescence, plus I'm a sub-over-dub guy anyway,) it would seem weird that Khara would demand control in NGE's dubbing but not in NTE's dubbing.

If Spike is returning to voice Shinji, maybe Funimation is more generous with their dubs than ADV? ADV potentially being overly protective of their dub and not letting other distributors use it might have been what spurred Khara to do a completely new dub track for NGE in the first place. And if they gotta redub the whole thing anyway, why not have complete control over the casting process? But if Funi is less stubborn over their dubs, then there's probably no reason to put forth the effort in redubbing three whole movies while also dubbing the forth one.

But, like I said, I don't know anything about the US dubbing industry (outside of its perpetual rowdy adolescence).

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sat May 15, 2021 9:25 am

If the old dub comes back I'll be passing on watching that version. But it would be closer to the official release so I wouldn't complain.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

penguintruth
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby penguintruth » Sat May 15, 2021 10:34 am

Spencer returning to Shinji isn't very good news to me.

But whatever, Funimation dubbed the first three movies, they might as well finish them. I guess I'll just be sticking to the Japanese version.

Hooded_Omar
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hooded_Omar » Sat May 15, 2021 11:05 am

No offense, but why don't you folks like the Funi dub?

GentlemanX
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby GentlemanX » Sat May 15, 2021 12:06 pm

Hooded_Omar wrote:No offense, but why don't you folks like the Funi dub?

Folks here have been very vocal about their dislikes about it, whether it be FUNi's dialogue choices, some of the voice actor performances such as Spencer and Grant, etc. Even if I personally don't agree with those assessments, the people who do feel that way have explained why.

I'm personally not going to assume Spencer's talking about Eva, just because I don't want to be disappointed. To briefly speculate assuming he is talking about recording for 3.0+1.0 - this doesn't necessarily mean FUNi has the movie. The studio FUNimation uses for dubbing, Okratron 5000, could be hired by a different company for the dub - GKids, Amazon, Netflix, etc. Okratron 5000's primary output might be dubs for FUNimation, but they've been contracted by others such as video games like Borderlands and original series by RoosterTeeth. It's also possible Spencer was brought back to record Shinji completely unrelated to any company that worked on the previous NTE films. GKids for example retained the primary Red Jacket English Lupin cast for their dub of Lupin III: The First and broke from their habit of using Hollywood talent when dubbing Promare, so it's possible whoever has the rights to 3.0+1.0 has made it a priority to match the previous English dubs. It's also possible that the decision came from Khara themselves following either the poor performance or poor reception of the VSI dubs. The news that European home video releases aren't going to feature the respective 2019 dubs but will be going back to older ones certainly proves Khara isn't making it a requirement that those dubs have to be used going forward. Though it might simply be the dubs are out of their price range as is the case with a lot of Netflix owned dubs.

Again though, and I want to stress this for myself and anyone else praying the old voice cast is coming back for either 3.0+1.0 or the blu-ray release of NGE and the movies, it's best to not assume that's going to happen. Believe Spencer is just excited for something else - maybe FUNi is dubbing the Code Geass movies and is excited to play Rolo. Maybe there's some new Boruto project in the works and he's talking about voicing Inojin in it. Maybe he's working on some original project and he's excited to do that. Don't set yourself up for disappointment by assuming everything's going to revert back to the way it was.

bobgoesw00t
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby bobgoesw00t » Sat May 15, 2021 12:11 pm

View Original PostHooded_Omar wrote:No offense, but why don't you folks like the Funi dub?

I’m also wondering this. It seeks like there are quite a few people who actively HATE the original trio of Spike Spencer, Tiffany Grant and Alison Keith even though they’ve been voicing the characters for so long that they really care about the franchise and the quality of the dub we get. Spike also seems to be on good terms with Casey Mongillo and (while I’ve never met any of the three plus Amanda Winn Lee who I follow on twitter) they all seem like really great people with a wicked sense of humor based on videos I’ve seen/heard when listening to the audio commentary tracks from the Evangelion Platinum DVDs. I can understand preferring one dub over the other but to actually hate the cast members is a bit extreme
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

penguintruth
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby penguintruth » Sat May 15, 2021 12:12 pm

View Original PostHooded_Omar wrote:No offense, but why don't you folks like the Funi dub?

Spencer and Grant are still in it. I can take or leave Keith, it all varies from scene to scene. Other than that, it's mostly okay.

View Original Postbobgoesw00t wrote:
View Original PostHooded_Omar#922870 wrote:No offense, but why don't you folks like the Funi dub?

I’m also wondering this. It seeks like there are quite a few people who actively HATE the original trio of Spike Spencer, Tiffany Grant and Alison Keith even though they’ve been voicing the characters for so long that they really care about the franchise and the quality of the dub we get.

Passion doesn't equal quality.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sat May 15, 2021 12:23 pm

View Original Postpenguintruth wrote:
View Original PostHooded_Omar#922870 wrote:No offense, but why don't you folks like the Funi dub?

Spencer and Grant are still in it. I can take or leave Keith, it all varies from scene to scene. Other than that, it's mostly okay.

View Original Postbobgoesw00t#922874 wrote:I’m also wondering this. It seeks like there are quite a few people who actively HATE the original trio of Spike Spencer, Tiffany Grant and Alison Keith even though they’ve been voicing the characters for so long that they really care about the franchise and the quality of the dub we get.

Passion doesn't equal quality.

And I honestly don't know where this "they have more passion" idea comes from either seeing as some of the old crew keep shitting on Anno and his work.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat May 15, 2021 12:51 pm

Yeah, that. A lot of the ADV cast is fairly hypocritical in that regard, and it just stacks on top of their other bad takes and objectively speaking not great performance
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Italyzpizza
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Italyzpizza » Sat May 15, 2021 5:41 pm

View Original PostGentlemanX wrote:The news that European home video releases aren't going to feature the respective 2019 dubs but will be going back to older ones certainly proves Khara isn't making it a requirement that those dubs have to be used going forward.

Hopefully American home video releases will follow suit on that front.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat May 15, 2021 6:00 pm

View Original Postpenguintruth wrote:I can take or leave Keith, it all varies from scene to scene.

Okay, I have almost no dog in any dub discussion, but Allison Ship-Keith as Misato was the best aspect of ADV's dub for me. Her voice is basically the English-sounding version of the Japanese personality, and it makes me happy.

Italyzpizza
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Italyzpizza » Sat May 15, 2021 6:04 pm

Alright, so Spike says he isn't working on voicing Shinji on Twitter...

Then again, this could be because nobody's announced an international license for the film yet. Maybe he WILL voice Shinji still, just not now.

Hooded_Omar
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hooded_Omar » Sat May 15, 2021 6:20 pm

I mean, maybe he's not allowed to confirm if he's voicing Shinji cuz of the NDAs?

Italyzpizza
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Italyzpizza » Sat May 15, 2021 6:22 pm

View Original PostHooded_Omar wrote:I mean, maybe he's not allowed to confirm if he's voicing Shinji cuz of the NDAs?

That could be the case. Maybe he's saying "no" to throw us off.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat May 15, 2021 6:22 pm

An NDA wouldn't mean he would have to deny his involvement, though. It just means he couldn't say anything about it.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”