Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Asugran233
Lilith

Re: Gundam (In All Its Incarnations) Mk. II

•      
  •      

Postby Asugran233 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:51 pm

I actuarial watch the original series but I admit that I really pulled as a series withI actuate watching the original series but I admit that I was really drawn to the series of 1979. :asuka_thumbsup:

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:11 pm

Episode 27 of Seed was mostly clip show so some of it i skipped along with Blockio with whom i am marathoning the show.

Kira breaking up with Flay was so well earned on that bitch's part, good ríddance! Kira and Cagalli socializing and meeting Athrun again with Birdy's help brings the first full meeting of the Luke, Han, and Leia of Gundam hehe.

Nicol getting some vibing moments with Athrun make it even more painful when Kira destroys the Blitz with him inside and that tragic piano music in the background.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:45 pm

The Blitz fight is definitely one of the high points of the show, that whole battle is really well made
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat May 01, 2021 11:22 pm

I watched the first four episodes of 08th MS Team in a movie night just now; it's nice to finally have a UC show that I don't actively dislike watching
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun May 02, 2021 4:46 am

I mean, the fights in Unicorn are gorgeous on a technical level, peak Gundam really, even if the stakes aren't always clear.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sun May 02, 2021 10:03 am

The fights in Unicorn are very pretty, yeah, but the show on the whole struck me as aggressively unremarkable for the first three quarters of it. There were moments I liked, absolutely, but across the board it was more a matter of "well, I guess this is happening now", and that didn't really go away until the sixth movie for me

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Re: Gundam (In All Its Incarnations) Mk. II B/

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun May 02, 2021 8:33 pm

I heard a lot of this was straightened out in the TV series adaptation, but I haven't gone back to check.

I'll also offer that even with the CGI funniness I still liked Mobile Suit Gundam MS IGLOO, particularly that pattern of getting a grueling assignment, pulling a victory seemly against all odds and it doesn't matter, your reward is this next god-awful assignment. Do it again, rinse-repeat.

You also get what is probably the best/ most literal take on how the Zeon forces see the Feddies "those whose souls are weighed down by gravity".
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon May 03, 2021 1:49 pm

Yeah, I watched a few bits of MSIGLOO and enjoyed it. Didn't really mind the CGI, either; looked pretty decent tbh

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat May 08, 2021 8:13 pm

I watched a few more episodes of Victory tonight; Ep 20 is pretty allright, good even; everything after that ranged somewhere in between "what was that all about", "pretentious out its ass" and "if Tomino had even a tiny bit of self-awareness, this would have been great".

Watching two people stare each other down for ten in-universe seconds while yelling about how important it is to not hesitate on the battlefield is just a whole other level of stupid

Asugran233
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Asugran233 » Fri May 14, 2021 2:28 pm

I've finished the original series now I'm starting The Origin.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Wed May 19, 2021 6:17 pm

Some days ago, I caught the ninth episode of Zeta Gundam and I will just say the obvious about the intro to Wong Lee: He's such a bitch! :irked: But the worst part is that nobody corrected him in disciplining Kamille over him being late for a meeting due to working with Haro. As for the reintroduction to Kai with him helping Reccoa out near Jaburo, it felt rather random of him to just show up and save her from the soldiers but whatever.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat May 22, 2021 10:55 pm

Finished up 08th MS Team tonight; definitely my favorite as far as UC goes, even if it kinda flattened out towards the end. Doesn't quite make it into my top 3, but it's a very good show.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Mon May 24, 2021 4:08 am

View Original PostGus Hanson wrote:Some days ago, I caught the ninth episode of Zeta Gundam and I will just say the obvious about the intro to Wong Lee: He's such a bitch! :irked:

Meh, he's 25. A lot still are at that age.

And Kamille did need the **** kicked out of him, levelled him out. Kind of what you want with someone levelling weapons that kill.

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri May 28, 2021 10:39 am

New Seed projects have been announced!

The "mystery MG" isn't quite what I expected it to be (from a new manga vs from the movie), but still close enough.
I for one am very looking forward to the inevitable Freedom 3, Justice 3 and Destiny 2 vs Providence 3 fight

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Fri May 28, 2021 2:22 pm

^ Definitely excited about the sequel movie news! ^_^ I guess all things really do come to he who waits and the wait was long indeed.

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Fri May 28, 2021 6:27 pm

Yeah I'm curious to see what they'll do with a Seed movie tbh. Not even in like "ironic" way or anything.

Say what you will about Morosawa as a writer but its kind of sad she didn't get to live to help make it herself.

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri May 28, 2021 6:33 pm

Yeah, it's a shame.

also, regarding the eclipse; already some beautiful memes spawned from it

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Fri May 28, 2021 6:47 pm

This Seed news definitely falls under the better late than never category for me, was hoping for a non UC story to come soon!

Of course, as much of a Seed apologist as I may be, in true Seed fashion this could turn out to be 50% stock footage. :lol:
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri May 28, 2021 7:12 pm

Movies have historically been a lot better about their stock footage use, so I have high hopes for this one (also true for Seed itself, Stargazer had little to none)

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Fri May 28, 2021 7:25 pm

I also wonder whether Houko Kuwashima will still be involved in some capacity since she was reported as early as 2008 as reprising Stellar (whether revived to some fans joy or dismay or force ghost :tongue: ).

Return to “Anime and Manga”