Forum Wackiness

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Whitetiger739
Embryo

Re: Forum Wackiness

•      
  •      

Postby Whitetiger739 » Mon May 03, 2021 2:43 am

I believed there's a connection timed out error again (Error 522) on the Evageek wiki.
Oh shoot, what time is it? Heading back to Nerv-2 in Nevada ASAP!

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon May 03, 2021 1:44 pm

That does indeed seem to be the case; we're working on it, thanks for the report!
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Mon May 03, 2021 5:28 pm

Oh, good. I received 5 PMs complaining already from people wanting to read the interviews!

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue May 04, 2021 12:39 pm

PHP was updated but I forgot to restart apache. It's up now

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Tue May 04, 2021 12:42 pm

Thanks, Ornette!

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Wed May 12, 2021 2:40 pm

Wiki's down again. What's going on?

I imagine this also has a negative effect for its search engine ratings.

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Fri May 14, 2021 10:24 am

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:Wiki's down again. What's going on?

I imagine this also has a negative effect for its search engine ratings.

It's been two days, and the wiki's still down. What is happening? Why aren't the mods trying to fix this?

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Fri May 14, 2021 12:20 pm

Some of the mods don't have the necessary computing skills and those who do, probably just don't have the time to spend on trying to fix this that quickly.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri May 14, 2021 4:37 pm

That. In order to fix that issue you need the clearance to access the backstage portion of the server, which only few on the mod team have, and those that do haven't been online in a bit.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri May 14, 2021 5:00 pm

The wiki is a separate thing from this forum, and is on a different server that the owner and (I suspect) no one else has access to.

Note that the role of mods on a platform is not to resolve technical issues, but to keep the users in order. Technical matters are usually handled (or delegated!) by admins.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat May 15, 2021 8:32 am

Not all admins have equal technical access, and it's not like anyone (with or without the requisite ability) can just "jump to it" whenever anything breaks down, since we all have lives of our own.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:11 am

There used to be a button shaped like a dog-eared piece of paper next to the username of the person who made the most recent post in a given forum or subform. When you clicked the button, it would take you to the most recent post. The button no longer displays, although clicking where it should be will still bring you to the most recent post. Is this a bug, or is this a feature?

Berserker
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Berserker » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:07 pm

If by that you mean this thing-
yeah, it still exists to this day. Might be a bug or loading issue on your end.
EvaGeeks at its finest: discussing whether or not a 14 yo girl has breast implants and how they should look. ~Shamsiel-kun
Sometimes I secretly think the reason I'm an A/S shipper is because I want Rei for myself. ~Chuckman
Eew, penis and testicles, gross! ~Reichu
My dude, "cross, crucifix, troubles, back, rood, buttock" sounds a lot closer to classic Evangelion than just one stray buttock roaming around in the film. ~FreakyFilmFan4ever

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:05 pm

I've just realized something. I think it might be a bug.
Every time I try to type the word "q-u-e", it doesn't work. Instead, I'm greeted by "c-u-e".
An example: que
This may not be a problem for English speaking users, but it can be a hassle when trying to send private messages in other languages, for example.
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:42 pm

Not a bug, there was a wordfilter that changed "que" to "cue". Can't say for sure, but I think it was a relic of a time around 2008(?) when people reacted to things by going "que?" and someone implemented it to block the trend. Since it doesn't serve any useful purpose now, I've removed it. You should be able to compose your PMs without any further annoyance.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:48 pm

Is it just me or is anyone else getting logged off all the time?

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:31 am

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:Can't say for sure, but I think it was a relic of a time around 2008(?) when people reacted to things by going "que?" and someone implemented it to block the trend.

Quê!? :tongue:

In Portuguese we use "quê?" or "o quê?" for this same purpose, which both means "what?". The difference is that for grammatical reasons, the "e" must receive a circumflex accent (^) in this case. I am very curious to know the reason for this trend back then, although it may not originate from my native language.

Thank you, it really did cause a little discomfort.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:07 am

Ah, I see. I know that French and Spanish have similar formations.

search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keywords=que&start=120

You can see some of the examples in that search. The originating language for this trend was Spanish, not Portuguese (hence the lack of a circumflex accent) and it most likely started on one of the usual places and caught on. The south-western US in particular tends to have a large population of people who use Spanish as a first or second language, and given the heavy American influence on English-language internet slang (and internet slang in general), I imagine that would explain its origin.

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:10 am

My main suspicion was Spanish, however I had forgotten its strong influence in some parts of the USA, now everything fits. Other possibilities flashed through my mind, though.

Looking at the search results it really has the sense of "what?", remembering that this word has several other uses in both languages.
Thanks for clarify! I am a curious person -o-;
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:41 am

Thanks, UrsusArctos! I see what you're talking about. It's something similar to what happened on April Fools' Day, right? That's funny! lol
Anyway, It's crazy to think that the second most Spanish-speaking country in the world is the US. If I'm not mistaken, it's even a co-official language in the state of New Mexico. Honestly, this trend seems to have been funny (and frustrating)! lol

FelipeFritschF wrote:Is it just me or is anyone else getting logged off all the time?

Yeah, it happens all the time. I have a trick to deal with this, though. Always CTRL-C your posts before uploading them. That way, you won't lose paragraphs of text after being logged out.
That actually happened to Berserk EVA-02 once. It was a shame.
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”