GKids releasing NGE Blu-Ray in North America 2021

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Re: GKids releasing NGE Blu-Ray in North America 2021

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:26 pm

The italian version is currently tentatively scheduled for late summer/early fall if anyone is interested.

Zethus Thorne
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Zethus Thorne » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:19 am

View Original PostJoseki wrote:The italian version is currently tentatively scheduled for late summer/early fall if anyone is interested.

So an English Release may appear earlier or within the Timeframe

WunderBah
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby WunderBah » Sun May 09, 2021 8:47 pm

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=18885614

Upcoming French and Italian releases of Evangelion also aren't including the recent Netflix dubs.

This is interesting.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Mon May 10, 2021 8:40 am

View Original PostWunderBah wrote:https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=18885614

Upcoming French and Italian releases of Evangelion also aren't including the recent Netflix dubs.

This is interesting.

Who is this guy?
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

WunderBah
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby WunderBah » Mon May 10, 2021 2:14 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:
View Original PostWunderBah#922395 wrote:https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=18885614

This is interesting.

Who is this guy?

No clue, but apparently his source was from here:

There was also this under that tweet chain:

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Mon May 10, 2021 2:28 pm

Dynit here in Italy already dubbed NGE back in 2000 so they are going to use their own dub of course, we already knew this from the official announcement.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue May 11, 2021 10:20 pm

With all these quiet developments going on I wonder if all of these distributors around the world are waiting until after June 21st, the two year anniverssary of NGE releasing worldwide on Netflix and maybe the expiration of Netflix's global exclusivity on the series, to make public announcements and reveal set release dates.

I'm feeling a September 2021 for the US myself but this is based on absolutely nothing.

Zethus Thorne
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Zethus Thorne » Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:36 am

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:41 am

I was just about to post that.

No, I didn't really expect it.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:55 am

Clearer embed of the tweet…

Yeah, this makes me feel bad.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:54 am

One poster on the Bluray.com forums linked to a post on a Dynit thread where someone who saw the theatrical screening of Death (True)2/End of Evangelion said Fly Me To the Moon was removed from the film as well.

Dynit post: https://www.pluschan.com/topic/46-dynit ... ent-470451

My Italian is .... not the best, I dated an Italian girl for two years, that's my extent, lol - so I just copied and pasted into an online translator:

The screening interrupted last night has been recovered. This time it went better: I went with my nephew at a more decent time, about fifteen people but air conditioning always nisba! Although I would have preferred a screening in the original language, it was still worth it. To tell the truth, especially with Death, at times I felt like I was one of the hundreds of visions in my room (those scenes are all too familiar to me, and besides they are mostly taken from TV cmq material), and despite the obvious environmental differences, I was struggling to get into the 'mood'. With End of Eva it went much better: the power of certain images on the big screen (and think for it) was extraordinary despite the years on the back of the material in question. Goosebumps upon Asuka's 'awakening', when the Japanese spectators are framed (with about fifteen sweaty Sicilian idiots mirroring them ^^) and the final scene. Beautiful.

Curiosity: they cut the 'countdown' at the end of Death (probably to shorten an already long projection) and, alas, instrumental FMTTM in a scene (confirms that in the BDs we will dream it, but at least in the Nippo track it will be with us ?). Unlike the 2009 DVD edition, they did a great job on the thousand signs (especially the white and sometimes colored writings on a black background, reproduced very 'philologically' in Italian) even if someone got lost along the way. I was hoping that after the 'That sucks!' of Asuka and the word END on a white background abruptly turned on the lights (I've always imagined the end like this at the cinema) but they added a short black screen with the Italian credits that delayed even slightly the thing.

I'm hoping:
1. GKids does a theatrical screening of Death (True)2/End of Evangelion here in the States. That'd be nice!
2. Is able to keep Fly Me To The Moon.
But maybe the rights to the son are in some legal hell beyond anyone's access now. Who knows.

PS. Looking at the page for the Korean release and with sales starting July 9th the expected street date is September 30. Not official but expected. I've been feeling late Sept/early Oct is likely when these releases will start. Fingers crossed.
https://cafe.naver.com/miragezip/7381

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:02 pm

With all this hassle over FMTTM, I’m beginning to think that ADV didn’t even have the license for the song, and just somehow flew under the radar. There’s no way they had better lawyers than literally anyone else who’s tried to internationally distribute the show since.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:18 pm

FreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:With all this hassle over FMTTM, I’m beginning to think that ADV didn’t even have the license for the song, and just somehow flew under the radar. There’s no way they had better lawyers than literally anyone else who’s tried to internationally distribute the show since.

A lot can change in the, what, 20 years since ADV acquired the rights to NGE?

I've been wondering if maybe the issue is that when the companies split that while Khara got total ownership of all things Evangelion maybe, through some loophole or something just missed entirely during negotiations, GAINAX (or whatever GAINAX is now) still has the international rights to the versions of "Fly Me To The Moon" used in NGE and are asking for insane fees for them to be used.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:25 pm

You know, I never considered that idea. I always thought it was whatever estate that owns FMTTM that would complicate matters, not Gainax. But, if it were Gainax, then that would have complicated Japanese releases too, right?

God, I have absolutely no idea how these things work.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:43 pm

Yeah. I don't know either.
But since NGE never uses a version of the song by Sinatra and instead created all their own versions maybe those are tied up in the Khara/Gainax drama. Just a though I've had. No evidence.

GentlemanX
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby GentlemanX » Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:11 pm

Justin Sevakis, who's working on the UK version of this set by Anime Limited, sort of talked about this on twitter a while back. The link doesn't work anymore because Justin has an app that deletes his older tweets, but this was a link to his status about it. He didn't explicitly name Eva or Fly Me to the Moon, but implied both in the comments attached to it.

Here's the short version: Gainax never had the rights to use Fly Me to the Moon outside of Japan. Gainax acquired the rights to Fly Me to the Moon through a Japanese rights clearing house which is legal in Japan but doesn't really allow for use of the song outside of Japan. Despite this, Gainax licensed out Eva with Fly Me to the Moon in tact for years to overseas licensors including ADV and Manga. Once they realized their mistake, Gainax (and now Khara), opted to completely forbid the song's inclusion on non-domestic releases because of the legal quagmire involved with it. Every instance Fly Me to the Moon is used, both as the ending for every episode as well as all instrumental versions used within the series, would require a separate license that Khara or any foreign licensor would have to pay for, making it largely unfeasible to work out financially. At the time, Justin implied Anime Limited was looking to see if they could include the song, but given the news about the other versions, this likely didn't end up happening.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:28 pm

If anything, this might explain GKIDS’ radio silence on the title after their initial announcement.

penguintruth
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby penguintruth » Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:36 pm

I don’t know if I have 200+ bucks to throw around for a Blu-Ray set like the Korean one. I hope GKids also has an economy release.

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:30 am

After all this years, it seems that ADV will forever be the ultimate, complete dub of NGEvangelion... Blood splatters and added gunshots aside :lol:
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:20 am

I'm keeping my fingers crossed GKids will pull off a miracle - unlikely but a man needs hope - since they are completist nerds and usually go the extra mile.

Like if any other company had the rights to Hayao Miyazaki's body of work they would've just kept it to the films since that's what 99% of people care about but GKids JUST announced they have acquired the US rights to his debut work - the over 40 year old TV series Future Boy Conan.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”