Shin Ultraman

This is for discussion pertaining to Hideaki Anno's live-action "Shin" films, such as Shin Godzilla, Shin Ultraman, and Shin Kamen Rider.

Moderator: Board Staff

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Re: Shin Ultraman

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue May 11, 2021 9:33 am

No news on a release date but saw this pop up on Twitter when I searched Shin Ultraman to see if there was any news:

https://twitter.com/BluefinBrands/statu ... 59584?s=20

A Shin Ultraman figure by Dynaction is dated for a September release in Japan (October in the US) and it looks like it was announced this month. While things could change an announcement like this hints towards the filmmakers intention is still to release it in Japan during the summer.

Again no real news. Unless you want the figure.

EDIT UPDATE:

With all this work Tsuburaya Productions is doing with Netflix I won't be surprised (though saddened cause I really do want to see this in a movie theater) if Shin Ultraman goes straight to Netflix in the rest of the world outside Japan. No mention of the Anno/Higuchi but Netflix is now making an animated Ultraman movie.

Plot is: The film will follow Ken Sato, a superstar baseball player who returns to Japan to become the latest hero to carry the mantle of Ultraman. His plans go awry, however, when he is compelled to raise a newborn kaiju monster — the offspring of his greatest enemy — as his own child. Sato will also have to contend with his relationship with his estranged father and the schemes of the Kaiju Defense Force.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/ultr ... ssion=true

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:08 pm

Anno participated again in that paper lantern festival and his lantern announced the release date of Shin Ultraman for March of 2023.
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2021-08-09/hideaki-anno-teases-shin-kamen-rider-in-latest-bonbori-lantern/.176013
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:33 pm

Hi. Sorry. I don't mean to be that guy but Anno's lantern is actually for his next directorial project, Shin Kamen Rider.

Shin Ultraman is still undated after being delayed earlier this year. Kinda started to get the vibe Ultraman may be moved to 2022 but nothing is official yet.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:45 am

People are looking forward to that rumored “NTE Tetrology Boxset,” but watch the box set be the “Shin Anno Tetrology,” featuring Shin Godzilla, Shin Evangelion, Shin Ultraman, and Shin Kamen Rider.

Edit: I know Shin Ultraman was directed by Shinji Higuchi and not Hideaki Anno, blah blah blah…

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:04 am

FreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Edit: I know Shin Ultraman was directed by Shinji Higuchi and not Hideaki Anno, blah blah blah…

I mean to be fair, unless the trailer is a huge misdirect on the film's tone & look sure seems like Shinji Higuchi's goal is to emulate Anno's unique style to a T.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:31 am

Didn't Higuchi co-direct with Anno on Shin Godzilla? In addition, it's perfectly possible that Anno helped Higuchi out, uncredited, with a lot of the direction.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:53 am

Anno and Higuchi are both credited as directors for Shin Godzilla. It’s thought that Higuchi directed the special effects, while Anno directed the live-action drama, but there’s very little English stuff detailing the behind the scenes of that film.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:47 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Hi. Sorry. I don't mean to be that guy but Anno's lantern is actually for his next directorial project, Shin Kamen Rider.

With a mistake like that, it's proof those kind of guys are needed from time to time. Sorry about that.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:49 pm

Saw this on Twitter, kinda figured this has been the case for a while now:

Also, over the weekend Tsuburaya Productions has to cancel their convention because of Covid-19 and they were going to make announcements regarding the film then.

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2021/09/10-1/tsuburaya-productions-cancels-event-more-details-on-shin-ultraman-to-be-revealed-soon?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I would expect something to appear online within the near future but it seems official that Shin Ultraman has been delayed to 2022 cause of Covid.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:19 pm

Dang. That sucks, but I understand.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:53 am

The OG series is being uploaded with subs if anyone is interested (it's an official upload).
https://youtu.be/inVneJezdi4
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:05 am

"Not made available in your country." That's okay. I bought the Blu-rays.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:12 am

May 13

https://youtu.be/XYQ8Rqlp4T8

Sagisu confirmed.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

Thuktun Flishithy
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Thuktun Flishithy » Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:15 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:"Not made available in your country." That's okay. I bought the Blu-rays.

Also Avanaf is a channel that uploads subtitled Ultra content, got the entirety of the Showa series and a few Heisei and Millennium series as well.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:31 am

New poster is pretty cute:

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:51 am

That’s adorable!

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:32 pm

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily- ... al/.183704 New visual and a new trailer is apparently in theaters.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:45 am

IF the Shin Ultraman trailer drops with a Toho release, the earliest is 15 April. Less than a month before Ultraman comes out.
I could see that happening, but man, we really haven't seen much of this film, have we?

Edit:
Well we got this today.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:45 am

They're keeping the trailers nice and short for this film. I hope the release outside Japan isn't too much of a wait.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyVBIrWHx7E

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:44 pm

I recommend watching it with subs since there is some dialogue.

Also these two aliens will be in.
https://ultra.fandom.com/wiki/Alien_Mefilas
https://ultra.fandom.com/wiki/Alien_Zarab

Trailer seems pretty cool. Couldn't really get into the show myself. It is a kids show at the end of the day. But has some cool stuff in it too. Has Star Trek-ish vibes at times.

Return to “Live-Action "Shin" & Other Khara Projects!”