Newtype May 10th issue interviews

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
惣流・アスカ・ラングレー
Embryo

Newtype May 10th issue interviews

•      
  •      

Postby 惣流・アスカ・ラングレー » Sun May 09, 2021 10:27 pm

hi all, this thread is for the discussion of the 30 interviews featured in the may 10th issue of newtype with the three eva girls in their white plugsuits on the cover.
あんたバカア?!

惣流・アスカ・ラングレー
Embryo

Re: Newtype May 10th issue interviews

•      
  •      

Postby 惣流・アスカ・ラングレー » Sun May 09, 2021 10:33 pm

a section of the interview with megumi ogata concerning Shinji and mari’s interactions

"She was told 'pull out the spear and get rid of it' but then she was in despair and knew he might be able to do something about it. She said 'I don't care'"

"But I think it's natural to think 'If everyone gets well, it's fine'. I 'm glad I was able to settle with everyone this time."

--Ms. Ogata, What kind of woman was Mari Illustrious?
Ogata: I didn't know until the end ... because Shinji didn't even know her name until the end.

--It's always someone else.
Ogata: That's right, isn't it. Maybe. She was like a friend of his father and mother, right? At the end, I thought she would come to him to pick up that position.

5ch comment:
Ogata outburst in dissatisfaction.
Ogata doesn't seem to recognize Mari as his lover either
"Someone else" ... I think that felt strange.

--It has been 28 years since the TV series, and after repeating it many times, the last scene of all time has finally been drawn. How did you feel?
Ogata: I'm glad you guys think so. However, I don't feel like I'm done yet. I felt like I was left in a world of work at 14 years old because I didn't do the last Shinji.

--Is there another world that doesn't lead to that last scene? I still doubt haha.
Ogata: It may lead to a sensation that it is not over. I'm really grateful that I've been able to stay close to you for such a long time.

source:
あんたバカア?!

bogusman
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby bogusman » Sun May 09, 2021 10:42 pm

Wow, this is very interesting.
Thank u very much mate ! :w00:
Yea...

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sun May 09, 2021 10:43 pm

I forgot this was happening today. Thanks for the translation!
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sun May 09, 2021 10:50 pm

So even Ogata is going all "IDK what happened". Curious.

This apparently has interviews with 30 (!) staff members so it's probably full of gold.

惣流・アスカ・ラングレー
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby 惣流・アスカ・ラングレー » Sun May 09, 2021 11:00 pm

a section of the interview with yuko miyamura and tetsuya iwanaga concerning Asuka and kensuke’s interactions

Yuko Miyamura
“I can understand why Asuka fans are upset with "What’s up with Kenken!”
But in my opinion, it's not a relationship to worry about.”
"Think about it: a 28-year-old adult and a 14-year-old. The body. It's not possible, please calm down!”
“Kensuke is a good guy. If he was a good guy, he wouldn't touch her.”
“If Asuka was lonely and wanted to be pampered, she would just say, "Okay, okay.” There is no more than that. In other words, Kensuke is a good guy. And that's what I think.”

Tetsuya Iwanaga
“I'm sure you'll agree with me. I believe I was able to save Asuka.”
“I think it's up to each fan to imagine the relationship between the two.”
“Kensuke is a good guy, so he won't touch her. I think that's all.”

source:
http://ryokutya2089.com/archives/42863
あんたバカア?!

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Mon May 10, 2021 5:33 am

i want to see all of this in full context before forming any opinions or conclusions.

There seems to be a whole lot of, "it's all deliberately up to the interpretation" but that was the same for the old series, too.

Does anyone have complete scans or the physical magazine?
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Mon May 10, 2021 6:01 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:There seems to be a whole lot of, "it's all deliberately up to the interpretation" but that was the same for the old series, too.

Consider that VA's do not have much more information than we do. They could have more insight or information about the scenes they interpret, but not always.

For example: Kaji's VA has no idea how the "friendship" between Kaji and Kaworu was formed.

It's even possible Miyamura and Iwanaga may not even have noticed that Asuka came back from Instrumentality as an adult. These scenes were not spoke.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon May 10, 2021 2:51 pm

Even Shinji's VA doesn't know WTF is going on in the epilogue! :hitthetable:

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:It's even possible Miyamura and Iwanaga may not even have noticed that Asuka came back from Instrumentality as an adult. These scenes were not spoke.

I was about to comment on that, we know that the relationship between Asuka and Kensuke during most of the movie is strictly as a parental figure because the directors explicitly told it to them so they don't make their line as if they were lovers, but that's it.
For a moment that made me even wonder if Asuka really was as an adult when back from Instrumentality.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Mon May 10, 2021 3:05 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Even Shinji's VA doesn't know WTF is going on in the epilogue! :hitthetable:

Remember that Ogata doesn't make Shinji's voice in the Epilogue.

So, she is likely in the same boat as everyone else for that moment.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon May 10, 2021 3:21 pm

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:
View Original PostElMariachi#922451 wrote:Even Shinji's VA doesn't know WTF is going on in the epilogue! :hitthetable:

Remember that Ogata doesn't make Shinji's voice in the Epilogue.

So, she is likely in the same boat as everyone else for that moment.

... Oh, that's right! :duhme:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Makki
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Makki » Mon May 10, 2021 5:16 pm

Snippet from Director Tsurumaki's interview, he seems to confirm his intention to portray Kensuke/Asuka as a romantic relationship.
https://twitter.com/Shengong4/status/1391739123870826500/photo/1
>Anno came up with the idea of all the pairings
>Tsurumaki helped develop the relationships
>One of the scenes that stood out most to Tsurumaki was the part where Kensuke films Asuka, he describes it as a love scene between the two of them
>Tsurumaki developed their relationship as an old married couple
>Tsurumaki hopes the fans who wanted Asuka to be happy all this time will enjoy it

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Mon May 10, 2021 5:56 pm

View Original PostMakki wrote:Snippet from Director Tsurumaki's interview, he seems to confirm his intention to portray Kensuke/Asuka as a romantic relationship.
>One of the scenes that stood out most to Tsurumaki was the part where Kensuke films Asuka, he describes it as a love scene between the two of them
>Tsurumaki hopes the fans who wanted Asuka to be happy all this time will enjoy it

I'm pretty surprised, since that's quite different from what Miyamura said the directors had asked her for.

Makki
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Makki » Mon May 10, 2021 6:10 pm

I'm pretty surprised, since that's quite different from what Miyamura said the directors had asked her for.

Miyamura actually never said anything like that, that was just her own personal interpretation. People may have mistranslated it and spread it around here claiming Miyamura said the director's told her that, though.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Mon May 10, 2021 6:22 pm

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:I'm pretty surprised, since that's quite different from what Miyamura said the directors had asked her for.

Depends what specific word was translated as "intimate"
In any case Anno didn't set out to "correct" it once ppl pointed out to him that it came off like that (like with the ep 21 director's cut where he removed things that ppl had used as evidence that Misato shot Kaji)
The whole "he wouldn't touch her" thing might mean that he wouldn't molest her without her consent

ppl with hormone disorders (which is the closest real life thing to what happened to Asuka - I don't think she's lacking in the "voting and signing contracts" type of maturity, esp. if you feature in that she is a traumatized war veteran. The wille newbies address her by rank.) that delay/interfer with puberty can sometimes have no sex drive, being essentially the same as an asexual person until they get hormones (and indeed some feel fine the way they are & enjoy looking young for longer - but there are also defs ppl with such conditions who want partners & kids )
So they could be a couple but not having sex.

We seem to be very solidly in "up to interpretation, but intended as a possible reading" territory. (Same as the Mari thing, really; the jp comment sections under her promotion reel were an even split between reading her as a mentor & reading her as flirty. Ogata seems to prefer the "friendship" reading for Kaworu, though she's acknowledged the ambiguity and, as per Shizo/Parano, the love interest reading was intended as A possible interpretation)

The purpose of the ambiguity is probably the same as with Kaworu: So that the viewer can imagine whichever would comfort them the most if they were in Shinji/ Asuka's place. After all, they're supposed to represent the experience of being accepted just as you are. For some people that includes being wanted romantically, for others, they'd feel that was an extra expectation & would find a BFF more comforting. (though Kaworu of course comes with the 'catch' of tragedy)

Which means that she has now officially got with each member of the baka trio in a different alternate reality... if you count Angelic Days. XDD
Apparently she is morosexual

I imagined it would be anywhere from really subtle to all in butthurt shipper's heads, but when I saw an actual clip the vibe seemed surprisingly strong.

The thing with the photos is actually pretty cute & strikes me as something Asuka would like - having a boyfriend who gives her lots of attention and "looks at her" as much as she wants. (or just a friend who thinks she's a great model - that's positive attention, too. It often helps ppl who got disfigured or have weird medical conditions to have nice pictures taken. )

This is still a possibly cherrypicked out of context quote tho, I rly want the full thing...
Last edited by Kendrix on Mon May 10, 2021 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bogusman
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby bogusman » Mon May 10, 2021 6:45 pm

View Original PostMakki wrote:Snippet from Director Tsurumaki's interview, he seems to confirm his intention to portray Kensuke/Asuka as a romantic relationship.

Any (proper) complete translation of that article?
What are they actually said?
Yea...

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Mon May 10, 2021 7:23 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:We seem to be very solidly in "up to interpretation, but intended as a possible reading" territory. (Same as the Mari thing, really; the jp comment sections under her promotion reel were an even split between reading her as a mentor & reading her as flirty. Ogata seems to prefer the "friendship" reading for Kaworu, though she's acknowledged the ambiguity and, as per Shizo/Parano, the love interest reading was intended as A possible interpretation)

The purpose of the ambiguity is probably the same as with Kaworu: So that the viewer can imagine whichever would comfort them the most if they were in Shinji/ Asuka's place. After all, they're supposed to represent the experience of being accepted just as you are. For some people that includes being wanted romantically, for others, they'd feel that was an extra expectation & would find a BFF more comforting. (though Kaworu of course comes with the 'catch' of tragedy)

Honestly, I couldn't interpret the interactions between Mari and Shinji in a non-flirty way. It seems pretty clear for me.

Of course, I also though there were romantic feelings between Rei and Shinji in Ha, but it seems I was wrong.

So, maybe I tend to analyse everything in a romantic light.

Makki
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Makki » Mon May 10, 2021 7:31 pm

I have transcribed the Japanese text from that picture of the interview and translated it. I'm JLPT N2 so you can trust in my Japanese ability lol, but if other Japanese speakers here want to give their own translations go ahead. The first part is Director Tsurumaki, the second part is from the animator Yasabe.

ヒカリが大人になっているというのはうれしかったです。
みんなの関係は、庵野さんが決めていることもあれば決めていないこともあるようで。
私はいろいろと想像しながら描いています。
たとえば、ケンスケは長い時間、アスカを支えてきたのだから、老夫婦のような雰囲気に見えるようにとか。監督たちの意図をくみつつ、足りないところは補完して考えながら描いています。
-個人的に印象に残っているカットはありますか?
谷田部:ケンスケがアスカにビデオカメラを向けるシーンは「ここはラブシートのようなものなんだよ」と指示がありました。アスカが幸せになるのは、これまで見てきたファンの方もうれしいんじゃないかと、ていねいに描こうと思っています。

..I was happy Hikari became an adult.
Anno decided on all the characters relationships, though there were also aspects he didn't decide on.
So I thought up all sorts of things filling in the blanks as I drew the plot/scenes.
For example, Kensuke has supported Asuka for a long period of time, so I wanted to give off the feeling of them looking like an old married couple.
I assembled the intentions of all the directors, and filled* (uses same word as complementation) in the parts that were still lacking as I drew the plot/scenes.
-Are there any scenes that personally left an impression on you?
Yatabe: During the scene where Kensuke points his video camera at Asuka, I was given the instruction that "This is a Love* Scene" (They use the term ラブシーン, specifically meaning romantic love scene). I drew the scene very carefully so the fans who watched up until now that wanted to see Asuka become happy could become happy too.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Mon May 10, 2021 7:38 pm

Aha, thank you for the clarification!

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Mon May 10, 2021 7:49 pm

View Original PostMakki wrote:..I was happy Hikari became an adult.
Anno decided on all the characters relationships, though there were also aspects he didn't decide on.
So I thought up all sorts of things filling in the blanks as I drew the plot/scenes.
For example, Kensuke has supported Asuka for a long period of time, so I wanted to give off the feeling of them looking like an old married couple.
I assembled the intentions of all the directors, and filled* (uses same word as complementation) in the parts that were still lacking as I drew the plot/scenes.
-Are there any scenes that personally left an impression on you?
Yatabe: During the scene where Kensuke points his video camera at Asuka, I was given the instruction that "This is a Love* Scene" (They use the term ラブシーン, specifically meaning romantic love scene). I drew the scene very carefully so the fans who watched up until now that wanted to see Asuka become happy could become happy too.

Thanks for a better translation.

It seems that there are members of the staff who really want to show Asuka and Kensuke in a romantic light.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”