I'm debating whether to sell my Platinum thinpak collection now or after the Blu-Ray comes out

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
prophetic
Embryo

I'm debating whether to sell my Platinum thinpak collection now or after the Blu-Ray comes out

•      
  •      

Postby prophetic » Sat May 01, 2021 12:58 pm

Going by eBay sold listings, the Platinum collection is worth a decent amount. As a subtitles-only viewer, I don't care about the dub at all. But judging by the people across the internet angry at Netflix, there's a lot of people that still want to hear the old dub.

I'm assuming GKIDS won't get the original dub audio, so because of that I believe the old DVDs will become more valuable once the Blu-ray details get released. Obviously nobody knows what will happen, but I'm curious to hear your input on whether the DVDs will be worth more or less after we know more about the Blu-rays.
Registering for this board is a pain.

penguintruth
Lilith

Re: I'm debating whether to sell my Platinum thinpak collection now or after the Blu-Ray comes out

•      
  •      

Postby penguintruth » Sun May 02, 2021 10:18 am

That's what I was considering, as well, but it will be worthless if the Blu-Ray set has both English dubs. So I'm in the position of sort of hoping both dubs are on the Blu-Rays because it'll shut people up about the new dub (which I prefer, personally, though like you, the Japanese version will always be my favorite), but also hoping the old one won't be so I can make some money selling the Platinum Edition.

prophetic
Embryo

Re: I'm debating whether to sell my Platinum thinpak collection now or after the Blu-Ray comes out

•      
  •      

Postby prophetic » Sun May 02, 2021 11:16 am

So are you gonna wait to sell? I think that's what I'm probably going to do.

penguintruth
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby penguintruth » Sun May 02, 2021 11:24 am

It’s kind of a gamble. I suppose selling now would be smarter, since we don’t yet know which dub(s) will be on the Blu-Rays and the prices for the Platinum set are still pretty high. But something is making me hesitate. I can either cash in now, or gamble and wait for the possibility that the price can go up even higher if the ADV dub isn’t on the new set.

evaunit13
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby evaunit13 » Fri May 07, 2021 12:02 am

A relevant situation is the recent release of the Criterion Collection's World of Wong Kar-wai set. After the initial announcement, collectors were dumping their out-of-print individual releases for bargain prices. Once Criterion announced that the films were heavily “restored” with stretched aspect ratios and dramatic color grading, prices for the OOP releases climbed past prior peaks.

My assumption is that the new release will likely not have the original dubs which will increase the value of the Platinum Collection. Whether that increased value is worth the gamble is something you’d have to research and assess for yourself.
i want rebuild

prophetic
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby prophetic » Fri May 07, 2021 3:23 pm

View Original Postevaunit13 wrote:My assumption is that the new release will likely not have the original dubs which will increase the value of the Platinum Collection.

That's where I've settled on it, too.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”