Evangelion Pic Thread 11: Mari's Middlesex Manor of Mayhem and Fantabulous Foppery

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

swagbuckking1
Adam

Re: Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0 Spoiler Fanart, Merchandise and Cosplay

•      
  •      

Postby swagbuckking1 » Wed May 05, 2021 7:48 am

View Original Postone-eyed wrote:His friendship with Kaji reminded me of Koji Takao mentioning Kaji's recommendations about Misato only that he either couldn't trust Misato or he wanted to be Shinji's great savior and needed Gendo, Fuyu and Rei Q to approach him.

What? Can you elaborate on this? What did Koji say?

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Wed May 05, 2021 7:53 am

View Original Postone-eyed wrote:The confidence problems would have been much less if he had handed Gendo and Fuyu over to Wille. No one needs to watch over the dead. Or at least he had returned Shinji when they left to see the city. His friendship with Kaji reminded me of Koji Takao mentioning Kaji's recommendations about Misato only that he either couldn't trust Misato or he wanted to be Shinji's great savior and needed Gendo, Fuyu and Rei Q to approach him. If it was the last option, disgrace is inevitable when making deals with the Devil. As an angel, Kaworu should know that well!

I don't think Kaworu has the powers to defeat Gendo and Fuyu. NERV has many Marks.

Also, Kaworu wants to use the lances and Eva-13 to restore the World. It is mentioned the current "restoration" of WILLE using the pillars could fail at any moment (and places like Village 3 would turn to core).

Not to mention that it doesn't seem WILLE could really protect themselves from NERV if they directly attack the villages.
Last edited by Konja7 on Wed May 05, 2021 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

one-eyed
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby one-eyed » Wed May 05, 2021 8:02 am

swagbuckking1 Koji mentions this in Q:

00:24:09 {Koji} How totally reckless.
00:24:12 {Koji} Well, she's an even more interesting captain than Kaji said.

Konja7 Even Shinji could kill Gendo and Fuyu with a pistol, Kaworu doesn't need superpowers if even a well-handled iron bar solves the problem. Anything Fuyu does Ritsuko would be able to do as well or better. Another alternative that I can imagine for these decisions would be dramatic plot needs, but that would be laziness on the part of Anno.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Wed May 05, 2021 8:21 am

View Original Postone-eyed wrote:Konja7 Even Shinji could kill Gendo and Fuyu with a pistol, Kaworu doesn't need superpowers if even a well-handled iron bar solves the problem. Anything Fuyu does Ritsuko would be able to do as well or better. Another alternative that I can imagine for these decisions would be dramatic plot needs, but that would be laziness on the part of Anno.

In every story, there are dramatic plot needs.

That said, I don't think Gendo and Fuyutsuki are so unprotected as to allow Kaworu to kill them. We know they don't trust him.

Also, WILLE and Ritsuko don't have the resources to create another Eva (they recycle what they find to create weapons). So, they cannot carry out the restoration plan using the lances and Eva-13.

How is it possible that SEELE and NERV have the resources to create Marks and Eva-13? That's likely a dramatic plot need.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed May 05, 2021 1:26 pm

View Original Postone-eyed wrote:swagbuckking1 Koji mentions this in Q:

00:24:09 {Koji} How totally reckless.
00:24:12 {Koji} Well, she's an even more interesting captain than Kaji said.

For the record that line is what many people (me included) based their theory that Kaji was still alive. I remember Toji's VA saying that his survival was already planned all the way back during Q's production (and that back then his circumstances would be different), I wonder if we'll learn one day if Kaji's death was planned all along or if it was planned that he survived when Q was released?

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:Not to mention that it doesn't seem WILLE could really protect themselves from NERV if they directly attack the villages.

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:Also, WILLE and Ritsuko don't have the resources to create another Eva (they recycle what they find to create weapons). So, they cannot carry out the restoration plan using the lances and Eva-13.

How is it possible that SEELE and NERV have the resources to create Marks and Eva-13? That's likely a dramatic plot need.

That schizophrenia on this world is what irks me: WILLE is always strapped for resources and have to jury-rig half of their shit, yet they allow and support settlements all around the world (at least I think it's around the world, at least we know that there are others), one of which is sitting 250km from the enemy's HQ without any defenses and yet never get attacked, WILLE's pilot has to wear their patched up plugsuits from 14 years ago and then they have two new models in the few weeks between the begnnining of Q and the end of Shin and the rest of the Wunder crew also get to rock their own plugsuits, WILLE can't even regrow missing flesh parts of their only two Evas (let alone building new ones) yet neo-NERV can shit them out by the truckload, and they also have three battleships, and four Adam's Vessels (one destroyed and rebuilt from thin air apparently), and all those Nemesis Series, and mass-produced Mark.07, and Unit 13 all of those will full armor and weaponry of course. (we even see the mass-producing factory with hanging Eva arms in Q!)

Nothing in this damn world and its war makes any sense! :dizzy:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Wed May 05, 2021 5:50 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:That schizophrenia on this world is what irks me: WILLE is always strapped for resources and have to jury-rig half of their shit, yet they allow and support settlements all around the world (at least I think it's around the world, at least we know that there are others), one of which is sitting 250km from the enemy's HQ without any defenses and yet never get attacked, WILLE's pilot has to wear their patched up plugsuits from 14 years ago and then they have two new models in the few weeks between the begnnining of Q and the end of Shin and the rest of the Wunder crew also get to rock their own plugsuits, WILLE can't even regrow missing flesh parts of their only two Evas (let alone building new ones) yet neo-NERV can shit them out by the truckload, and they also have three battleships, and four Adam's Vessels (one destroyed and rebuilt from thin air apparently), and all those Nemesis Series, and mass-produced Mark.07, and Unit 13 all of those will full armor and weaponry of course. (we even see the mass-producing factory with hanging Eva arms in Q!)

Nothing in this damn world and its war makes any sense! :dizzy:

Yeah, this is one of my biggest gripes. Eliminating all other world organizations than Nerv, Wille, and Wille shell companies is so bizarre and makes it feel like He-Man or Super Sentai or something. There's no sense that anyone is limited by exterior factors (ie, any realism whatsoever) because the plot is so inconsistently, as you say, deciding when they have to scrounge and when a conveyer belt can just unleash mountains of shiny minted tech.

Perhaps one can say Wille's resources were prioritized to dump most of their hope into the pillar-tech and restoring the world, but the film does no attempt to communicate such a point so it's more like desperate rationalization on my part.

I find it really hard to swallow what things in NTE do feel like they work for me, because of the enormity of what doesn't; I can't even begin to suspend my disbelief when considering what concrete actions were taken for Gendo to seize the means of production, for instance. It's a pretty big ask from NTE to just ignore how unfounded it all feels.
Après moi le déluge!

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Wed May 05, 2021 6:15 pm

View Original PostAxx°N N. wrote:I find it really hard to swallow what things in NTE do feel like they work for me, because of the enormity of what doesn't; I can't even begin to suspend my disbelief when considering what concrete actions were taken for Gendo to seize the means of production, for instance. It's a pretty big ask from NTE to just ignore how unfounded it all feels.

I guess it depends on how much you care about that aspect.

In my case, I don't have problem to accept that Neo-NERV could mantain all that. Maybe because I don't care or need details about the tech aspect.

My focus is mainly on the characters. So, I'm pretty fine with the contained focus on Village 3.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu May 06, 2021 1:53 am

Piano boy, science girl

SPOILER: Show

Mari

Image Image

Asuka's Eye

Angel bread...
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu May 06, 2021 1:31 pm

Shinji & Mari do a dance

Rei

Here lies ReiQ
(at least what little of her didn't spill out of the plugsuit)

Big Asuka

All the pilots
(I particularly like how ReiQ is glancing at Shinji and Mari being Mari)

If only they weren't so busy defeating Gendo at the time
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu May 06, 2021 2:15 pm

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:I guess it depends on how much you care about that aspect.

In my case, I don't have problem to accept that Neo-NERV could mantain all that. Maybe because I don't care or need details about the tech aspect.

My focus is mainly on the characters. So, I'm pretty fine with the contained focus on Village 3.

To each their own, I can only speak for myself of course, but I'm the kind of person that needs to have a coherent background to be able to "get in" the story, without it my suspension of disbelief is broken and I can't enjoy the characters. To be honest, I don't like stories where it's all about the characters and no context in the first place! :tongue:

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Image Image

You know, I can picture Shinji and Mari going on a world tour after Shin to discover (or rediscover in Mari's case) the repaired world, I can also picture Mari dumping trivias on all the places they visit (that she read about in books), sometimes even in the local language just to flex her knowledge! :lol:

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Here lies ReiQ
(at least what little of her didn't spill out of the plugsuit)

That makes me think, do we see a funeral or at least a tombstone for Rei Q before Shinji and Asuka board the Wunder?
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Thu May 06, 2021 2:58 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:To each their own, I can only speak for myself of course, but I'm the kind of person that needs to have a coherent background to be able to "get in" the story, without it my suspension of disbelief is broken and I can't enjoy the characters. To be honest, I don't like stories where it's all about the characters and no context in the first place! :tongue:

To be clear, I also like context in my stories and I think Shin has context. I wasn't a big fan of episodes 25 and 26 (although I enjoyed the focus on the characters psychology), because these don't have context.

It's more that I don't care much about details like "how NERV could do that?". I just usually accept them.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu May 06, 2021 3:00 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:You know, I can picture Shinji and Mari going on a world tour after Shin to discover (or rediscover in Mari's case) the repaired world, I can also picture Mari dumping trivias on all the places they visit (that she read about in books), sometimes even in the local language just to flex her knowledge! :lol:

I can totally picture this.
I imagine Shinji would at first be a bit apprehensive since he isn't so spontaneous, but then at some point he'd start having fun.

Mari probably loves traveling, the thrill-seeking types often do.

Melkor
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Melkor » Thu May 06, 2021 4:26 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:
View Original PostElMariachi#922226 wrote:You know, I can picture Shinji and Mari going on a world tour after Shin to discover (or rediscover in Mari's case) the repaired world, I can also picture Mari dumping trivias on all the places they visit (that she read about in books), sometimes even in the local language just to flex her knowledge! :lol:

I can totally picture this.
I imagine Shinji would at first be a bit apprehensive since he isn't so spontaneous, but then at some point he'd start having fun.

Mari probably loves traveling, the thrill-seeking types often do.

Now that you mention it, it kind of makes me wonder, could the song One Last Kiss actually be from Mari's perspective? One of the lyrics mentions the singer visiting the Louvre, which is in Paris. The only one among the pilots that actually visited Paris during the movie was Mari.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu May 06, 2021 5:12 pm

That was part of a metaphor / maybe supposed to go with the location shoot for flavor, but I don't really see anything that's really hinting towards Mari.

The lyrics seem to be about missing a love interest & hoping that you can maybe see them again to reconnect or at least get some closure, ending on the note that you'll never forget them/ that they'll always be special to you no matter what the future brings.

Could be Gendo talking about Yui (probably the likeliest), or Shinji either of the three OG love interests. (all of whom he does eventually meet again & get some closure with)

Mari hasn't really been separated from anyone that she cares about. Or I guess when Asuka got eaten but that wasn't long enough for her to sulk about it.

if Mari was gonna have a song it would probably be some kind of pep talk

EDIT: Who wants more PICS?

Asuka gaming

Village Rei

Melon farming is fun for the entire family

Asuka & mari

Baby Asuka and 44C

Protection

Big Asuka

Aquatic Mari

Zombie Kaworu Comic

Mari plays with baby Shinji

Misato & Kaji

Comic of the same

Junior

Freedom

The hair conundrum yet again

Bonus:

Big Shinji:

Shinji & Sakura

Yet more Rei

AsuKen

Big Classmates

Gendo hug

Congratulations

It's fine Kaworu, let it all out...
A beautiful sight

Maris book collection
How dare they not invite Rei

assorted artsy/surrealistic impressions of the movie

group

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Thu May 06, 2021 8:17 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Baby Asuka and 44C

You know, the sad thing here is that Asuka here never had any parents to begin with.
Shinji & Sakura

I find this rather ironic, considering that she tried to shoot him.
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

Melkor
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Melkor » Thu May 06, 2021 8:44 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Could be Gendo talking about Yui (probably the likeliest), or Shinji either of the three OG love interests. (all of whom he does eventually meet again & get some closure with)

Mari hasn't really been separated from anyone that she cares about.

It could have fit for Mari if the theory of Shinji and Mari having met as kids had turned out to be true. Maybe it is still possible, if this Mari is a clone of the original Mari, and she and Shinji met as kids at the Artificial Evolution Laboratory (the place where that photo of Yui and the woman that resembles Mari was taken). In that case it would be Shinji reuniting with a childhood friend. If there's a two year age difference between Shinji and Mari (during 2.0 when Shinji meets her) then Shinji would have been around 4 (how old he was when Yui got absorbed into Uni-01 and he was sent away to live elsewhere) while Mari was around 6 when they last saw each other, so just young enough for Shinji to have forgotten about her, but just old enough for Mari to possibly still retain some memory of it.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri May 07, 2021 1:55 am

Scenes

Image Image Image Image
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Huagh
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Huagh » Fri May 07, 2021 2:58 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Could be Gendo talking about Yui (probably the likeliest)

That seems to be the case. This tweet mentions in an Instagram live that Utada Hikari had she mentioned that the idea behind the song is “close to the feelings of Gendo’s”.

https://twitter.com/69_39fumi/status/13 ... 4732692483

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri May 07, 2021 2:19 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Baby Asuka and 44C

This is at the same time cute and sad.

Updating an old NTE poster:

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri May 07, 2021 4:45 pm

aww, they added the baby

View Original PostHuagh wrote:
That seems to be the case. This tweet mentions in an Instagram live that Utada Hikari had she mentioned that the idea behind the song is “close to the feelings of Gendo’s”.

https://twitter.com/69_39fumi/status/13 ... 4732692483

Hm. I ran that tweet through machine translation & couldn't find anything about Gendo

Can you point out the exact quote? Cause it would be great to have this settled if there is an official answer.

But looking at it through that lens, you could take the 2nd verse almost as a 1:1 reference to the graveyard scene:

Gendo:“Man survives by forgetting his memories,but there are some things a man should never forget. Yui taught me about the irreplaceable things. I come here to confirm that.”
Shinji: "Are there no pictures?"
[...]
Gendo“I keep everything in my heart That is enough for now."

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”