Shin Eva - Official Social Media: 2.22 You Can (Not) Release

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Re: Shin Eva - Official Social Media: 2.22 You Can (Not) Release

Postby ElMariachi » Mon May 03, 2021 3:10 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:snip

Wait... that's my post just above! Someone copied my post and posted it on 4chan. :D
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Mon May 03, 2021 7:55 am

You wrote a post in Japanese (of which the English is a translation)?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon May 03, 2021 8:46 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:You wrote a post in Japanese (of which the English is a translation)?

I would guess ElMariachi is referring to this post, where he made the statements that are here being attributed to /a/non.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Mon May 03, 2021 2:00 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:
View Original Postpwhodges#921991 wrote:You wrote a post in Japanese (of which the English is a translation)?

I would guess ElMariachi is referring to this post, where he made the statements that are here being attributed to /a/non.

And 10 points for Nuke-kun! :D

Another little behind-the-scenes tidbit from Khara's tweeter: the furniture in Kensuke's house are made from collected "oversized garbage" and furniture from abandoned houses (logical), and the stickers in his steel locker were actually designed by Anno himself, who used specific colors and designs to evoke a sense of nostalgia (ie the kind of logos that were used during his youth):
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

Postby FelipeFritschF » Tue May 04, 2021 1:02 am

I'm confused.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Tue May 04, 2021 1:02 pm

New character concepts from Khara, this time from Shin's most underused character: Ryoji Jr:

As some comments have noted (among them our very own GhostlyOcam!), some of the early drafts made him look a lot like his father when he was around this age in the manga flash-back:

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Wed May 05, 2021 6:50 am

Little production tidbit of the day, courtesy of Khara's twitter: PenPen's descendants are voiced by Megumi Hayashibara (Rei's VA), who also voiced PenPen himself in NTE and NGE!

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

Postby GhostlyOcam » Wed May 05, 2021 9:17 am

Oh hey, thanks for the shout-out :D Kind of funny he's quite the breakout character despite the miniscule screentime, his identity, design, and VA (Kouki Uchiyama is very popular) certainly factor into that.

I won't mind the Blu-ray release being like 5-10 minutes longer if he gets more scenes, highly doubt Uchiyama only recorded that one scene unless his interview says otherwise. I think his in-universe dad (Yamadera) also mentioned something about some of his scenes being cut during the stage event.
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

one-eyed
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby one-eyed » Wed May 05, 2021 10:38 am

GhostlyOcam wrote: I won't mind the Blu-ray release being like 5-10 minutes longer if he gets more scenes, highly doubt Uchiyama only recorded that one scene unless his interview says otherwise. I think his in-universe dad (Yamadera) also mentioned something about some of his scenes being cut during the stage event.

I sincerely hope that they do that. Waiting decades for something and watching it go to waste is really sad. Reducing Misato to a Gendo 2.0 and Kaji to a Yui 2.0 with Kaji Jr as the new Shinji was unnecessary. I even prefer Kaji Jr's alternative designs that look more like his father in Sadamoto's manga, reaffirms his individuality and origin.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Wed May 05, 2021 5:33 pm

View Original PostGhostlyOcam wrote:Oh hey, thanks for the shout-out :D Kind of funny he's quite the breakout character despite the miniscule screentime, his identity, design, and VA (Kouki Uchiyama is very popular) certainly factor into that.

I won't mind the Blu-ray release being like 5-10 minutes longer if he gets more scenes, highly doubt Uchiyama only recorded that one scene unless his interview says otherwise. I think his in-universe dad (Yamadera) also mentioned something about some of his scenes being cut during the stage event.

It's definitively his identity, I mean it's Kaji and Misato's canonical son! :tongue:
I think the only character reveal that come close to be as shocking is adult Sakura.

A shame that Shin did almost nothing with both of them.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu May 06, 2021 4:52 am

Khara celebrating Shin Eva beating Shin Godzilla at the box office with the Shin Godzilla vs. Evangelion Symphony

Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Thu May 06, 2021 1:25 pm

look at their cute happy faces
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri May 07, 2021 6:13 am

[Production spill story]
"Cat" in the 3rd village scene
twitter thread

Conte by Director Anno. ①→ Original drawing by Director Tsurumaki → Anno General Director Check OK / Instruction ②→ Maeda's layout ③→ Yatabe-san's production correction (1st time)→ Twice and twist → Yatabe-san directing correction ④→⑤ Arranged by the chief animation director, Mr. Nishikori
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Sat May 08, 2021 4:18 am

And here's today's crumb of trivia:

The gas-mask that Kaji Jr wears in his introductory scene is based on the one that Rando Yaguchi (the protagonist of Shin Godzilla) wore during Operation Yashiori in Shin Godzilla:

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Sun May 09, 2021 11:01 am

New arrival of behind the scene tweets, today from both Kahara and Yamashita :

A little video of Anno showing how he want the collision between the Wunder and the neo-NERV battleship to look like to the responsible of the digital department:
SPOILER: Show

A couple of new making-of of Shin are available in the EVA-EXTRA app:

Yamashita explaining the difficulty of working with a 3D model when you have to modify said model to show the damage taken, taking the example of the Wunder's battle damage during the final fight:

A couple of things of note:
- first, holy shit the Wunder gets mauled during the final battle! :cringe:
- second, it seems that the enemy battleships prioritized targeting the Wunder's Eva cages, smart move Fuyutsuki
- third, I didn't noticed before, but the Wunder's helipad has been replaced by an additional turret between Q and Shin.

swagbuckking1
Adam

Postby swagbuckking1 » Sun May 09, 2021 9:33 pm

Apparently the first image in the tweet is causing quite a stir. Can anyone give a full translation of the text?

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

Postby GhostlyOcam » Sun May 09, 2021 11:50 pm

^ The plugsuit is designed to have an extra space around the neck for the DSS Choker to fit in so the explosion could be efficiently turned inward, to make sure pilot is decapitated should that happen.
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon May 10, 2021 12:42 am

Apropos of the "how do people talk in LCL" thread going on in Evangelion Discussion, there's a hydrophone built into the collar of the plugsuit. I guess that's how the pilots are communicating with Nerv/Wille when they're in their entry plugs!

Looks like we got more Yamashita tweets:

These are original designs for Asuka's plugsuit during her training scene in the flashback. According to Yamashita's notes, it was designed to look like a wetsuit, and had AED (defibrillator) pads built in! (Locations indicated by orange arrows.) Yamashita comments, "This design looked like an old Soviet pressure suit when we colored it green. That didn't feel particularly Euro Nerv, so we stayed away from khaki."

Part of me is thinking now... are Asuka's plugsuit and Unit 02 colored in red, gold, and black because they're German?!

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Konja7 » Mon May 10, 2021 5:15 am

View Original PostGhostlyOcam wrote:^ The plugsuit is designed to have an extra space around the neck for the DSS Choker to fit in so the explosion could be efficiently turned inward, to make sure pilot is decapitated should that happen.

I wonder if the Neo-Nerv's plugsuit (at least, Eva-13 plugsuit) have this space for the DSS Choker too.

Kaworu was decapitated, but the explosion of his head wasn't inward.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Mon May 10, 2021 5:29 am

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:
View Original PostGhostlyOcam#922405 wrote:Kaworu was decapitated, but the explosion of his head wasn't inward.

Oh, but don't you see? Once he was decapitated, he exploded into liquid just like the other dead angels.
Apparently even Rei does this now.

Once the awakening risk became known, EVA pilot became a very crappy job.

Lol @ the hydrophone. Mystery solved then, but how about the times Shinji was in his normal uniform?
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”