Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Puella Magi Madoka Magika [3]

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:50 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAR0CMwEfes

"Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica: Walpurgis no Kaiten" anime film announced as a sequel to the 2013 film "Rebellion".

So, about as long a gap as between Q and Shin.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:59 am

If I'm not mistaken, Gen Urobuchi and Akiyuki Shinbo are both returning, which makes me very hopeful. As a fan of Rebellion, I'm hoping for something great. But this is pretty good news, nonetheless.

LightDragonman
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby LightDragonman » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:39 am

As if the parallels between Evangelion and Madoka couldn't get any bigger. :tongue:
Proud fanboy of Rei Ayanami. :p

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:44 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:"Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica: Walpurgis no Kaiten" anime film announced as a sequel to the 2013 film "Rebellion".

Yeah, no kidding.

The only historical reference to the term "Kaiten" that I could really find was this infamous example, the Kaiten manned kamikaze torpedo from the Second World War, which uses slightly different Kanji for the same meaning ("turning heaven")
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaiten

From a crude translation of the Japanese wikipedia Kaiten article, this is the meaning behind the phrase -

開発に携わった黒木博司中尉は「天を回らし戦局を逆転させる(天業を既倒に挽回する)

Lieutenant Hiroshi Kuroki, who was involved in the development, used the word "kaiten" to mean "turn the heavens and reverse the battlefield (recover the heavenly work)

Of course, someone like Pluto or Nuke-kun might be able to come up with a better translation of the term's meaning, but the impression I get from the crude translation is that there's some kind of a role reversal going on, so perhaps Akuma Homura's handiwork in Rebellion might somehow be undone in this movie. It would certainly be interesting to get a genuine backstory behind the mysterious Walpurgisnacht.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:02 am

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:Of course, someone like Pluto or Nuke-kun might be able to come up with a better translation of the term's meaning, but the impression I get from the crude translation is that there's some kind of a role reversal going on, so perhaps Akuma Homura's handiwork in Rebellion might somehow be undone in this movie. It would certainly be interesting to get a genuine backstory behind the mysterious Walpurgisnacht.

Toot toot.

The kanji is slightly different, but 廻天 and 回天 are just two variants for the same word with no significant difference in meaning. Based on the name, it's not a "role reversal", but rather the Walpurgis itself that is being described as the kaiten. Using the submarine as an example, the Walpurgis is being described as the Turn of Heaven's Will, the Heaven Shaker. (Translations lifted from Sunk: The Story of the Japanese Submarine Fleet.)

It sounds like less talking about how Akuma Homura (lol) is going to have her handiwork undone and more about the advent of the Walpurgis itself. Maybe it's going to manifest again in some new form.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:34 am

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote: Based on the name, it's not a "role reversal", but rather the Walpurgis itself that is being described as the kaiten. Using the submarine as an example, the Walpurgis is being described as the Turn of Heaven's Will, the Heaven Shaker. (Translations lifted from Sunk: The Story of the Japanese Submarine Fleet.)

You actually have me a little confused about what 廻天 / 回天 means in context? Is Walpurgis the cause/the doer of shaking the heavens, or does Walpurgis itself represent the shaking or turning of the heavens? Given Walpurgis's nigh-unstoppable nature and tendency to manifest as a giant clockwork doll with turning gears, the latter makes sense in its own way.

Also, how would you translate the phrase 天業を既倒に挽回する? I can understand the kamikaze minisub being named as something that would "turn the heavens" and reverse Japan's misfortunes in the war, which is what I understood as the context behind the name.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat May 01, 2021 10:30 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAR0CMwEfes

"Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica: Walpurgis no Kaiten" anime film announced as a sequel to the 2013 film "Rebellion".

Damn, it's so weird to finally have news about the sequel of rebellion, I think the last bit we got was the short movie back in 2015! (there's also that spin-off, Magia Record, but I didn't saw it)
I'm curious to see if the Walpurgis will mean that somehow Walpurgisnacht will come back, or if it's a reference to something else.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:49 pm

And we have the official translated title of the movie : Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie -Walpurgisnacht: Rising

Who the hell came up with that name?! It looks like an action movie sequel from the 90's! :facepalm:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:44 am

"Rising" sure sounds weaksauce next to "To turn the heavens/Turning heaven" and kills the reference to Walpurgisnacht herself.

Return to “Anime and Manga”