[LAEM] What happens if they butcher it?

The place for all of the old Live Action Evangelion Movie threads.

Moderator: Board Staff

Themaninblack
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Themaninblack » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:30 am

poetic_assassin wrote:Well, if they butcher it, they butcher it, There's nothing we can do about it. But hopefully if the original director's of Evangelion have a say in it, maybe they can keep it in line. I'm more worried about it getting lost in The Movie Void.

Or being ripped on by rifftracx...the guys who did MST3000

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby cat42 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:50 pm

Don't you mean Best Brains?

Themaninblack
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Themaninblack » Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:32 pm

cat42 wrote:Don't you mean Best Brains?

Yes (fellow MSt nerd)

But Now Mike Nelson 'new' project is Rifftrax ....the same thing esstinely but with both good and bad movies.

InvaderRen
Lilith

Postby InvaderRen » Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:52 pm

the first Dune movie was actually decent, it was the Sci-fi adaptation that screwed it up

but both of them screwed up the subtleties of the book tho

Dascoo
Adam

Postby Dascoo » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:54 am

Heads will roll.

I'm probably gonna hype this movie, and my friends don't even know I watch anime. I'm gonna say Evangelion is amazing, and they see the movie and it blows. There gonna kill me.

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:35 pm

At the very least, if it blows, i'll have something to bitch about. Bitching is fun.

I have faith however, granted it even comes out in the next 10 years.
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Kaysow » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:56 am

Themaninblack wrote:But Now Mike Nelson 'new' project is Rifftrax ....the same thing esstinely but with both good and bad movies.

That I shalt be checking out verily.

Themaninblack
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Themaninblack » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:34 am

Kaysow wrote:
Themaninblack wrote:But Now Mike Nelson 'new' project is Rifftrax ....the same thing esstinely but with both good and bad movies.

That I shalt be checking out verily.

Sarcasm? but to go back on topic unless this ends up likr Plan 9 From Outer Space any pubulicity is good publisity (spelling went to hell there)

zephyr72
Lilith

Postby zephyr72 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:02 pm

master0rolando wrote:To ADV,

Be advised:
If this mission fails...if we are unsuccessful...we have no future.

(cant remember waht anime i heard this line from...long time ago)

blue sub 6.

anyway, i think the only way a director could turn this movie into something amazing is if they too love and have a good understanding of the show. im looking forward to the special effects (weta workshops), but other than that, i dont expect much.

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Kaysow » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:43 am

Themaninblack wrote:Sarcasm?

Oh no, I'm serious. I adore MST3K.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:52 pm

I'm hoping it will be good. Like people said before in not so many words, if ADV messes up, they're fucked. I'm really hoping it won't be cliched like those distrubing yet possibly true ideas on Reichu's NGE geeks site.
I wonder what they'd do in terms of EoTV and EoE concurrency? Probably stick with an EoE-style ending instead of trying to combine the two?
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby cat42 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:29 am

Don't forget the manga. Sadamoto Managed to find ways to shorthand a lot of stuff that'd be very useful for a movie series.

Oodle
Embryo

Postby Oodle » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:06 am

InvaderRen wrote:the first Dune movie was actually decent, it was the Sci-fi adaptation that screwed it up

but both of them screwed up the subtleties of the book tho

I agree that both versions did indeed screw up, In regards to the presentation of the world described in the book.
However, I'm personally the other way around when it comes to DUNE, I find the 1984 movie to be the weak and 2000 Sci/Fi Channel version, To actually be quite good, Despite the much lower budget and studio bound atmosphere.

As for ELAM.

I really doubt it's going to do well?.....The religious and psychological aspects may just work against it, In mainstream cinema?
Of course, It may also do very well and draw new people in?, But generally ELAM is for us fans, Who will probably spend hours comparing everything?

I'm really looking forward to the action sequences though, EVA's Running and Jumping things and firing huge partical cannons :wink: :D

master0rolando
Ireul
Ireul

Postby master0rolando » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:09 pm

Oodle wrote:, But generally ELAM is for us fans, Who will probably spend hours comparing everything?

thats the thing...i remember...i like the new Star Wars movies just fine...

i liked the Lord of the Rings movies...i even liked Disney's Hercules...

but all the Star Wars geeks couldnt stand to see their evil Darth Vader as a little boy...as if they expected him to be evil as a child...

Lord of the Rings bookworms went on and on about things they left out...and saying that its better to just leave things like that as books...as if the movies werent already a million hours long...they also ignore the 11 Oscars...that kinda tough to argue with...

and my mythology teacher wont stop whining about all the mistakes Disney made in regards to mythology with Hercules...who cares?...the movie as hysterical and fun...

i think what we need to grasp is that movies are not made JUST for hardcore fans of what its based on...its for everybody...

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:35 pm

Oodle wrote:I really doubt it's going to do well?.....The religious and psychological aspects may just work against it, In mainstream cinema?
Of course, It may also do very well and draw new people in?, But generally ELAM is for us fans, Who will probably spend hours comparing everything?

You're talking as if this thing is actually going to be made. ADV promises big stuff, but all we'll end up getting is Angelic Days 2.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:23 pm

Evangelion mixes about as well with Live Action as it does with Moe, IMO.

Geeks will be geeks, and they will crib about the littlest of details.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

CitizenGeek
Ireul
Ireul

Postby CitizenGeek » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:09 pm

Well, I think the absolute worst thing ADV could do is try to please Evangelion fans. There'll be no pleasing them with this movie, no matter what it turns out like, I think - so it's futile to try to please them. They should try to balance mainstream appeal, with all the stuff that makes EvangelionTV great!
I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf mutes.

Rommel
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Rommel » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:52 pm

"If"?

Optimism dies last.

Oodle
Embryo

Postby Oodle » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:00 am

BrikHaus wrote:
Oodle wrote:I really doubt it's going to do well?.....The religious and psychological aspects may just work against it, In mainstream cinema?

You're talking as if this thing is actually going to be made. ADV promises big stuff, but all we'll end up getting is Angelic Days 2.

Maybe I am being a little too optimistic?

I just hope that ADV get the balance right?, Enough for mainstream audiences, While not upsetting too many Evafans!

Wevangeliwon
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Wevangeliwon » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:14 am

Despite liking EVA incredibly, I am worried they will horriby butcher it. I mean, I would cringe if the characters have English names (although this is more than likely). I don't think I could stand them having different names. There is so many ways this project could go wrong. Basically, if ADV screw this up, their reputation will not be looking good. If I were them, I would be finding ways to make sure this doesn't flop.

Return to “Live Action Evangelion Movie”