Debate the quality of Rebuild here. [2]

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Archer
Matarael
Matarael

Re: Debate the quality of Rebuild here. [2]

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:39 am

I wouldn’t really say that Star Wars’ issue was that it tried to oversell the nostalgia factor. The general consensus around TFA seemed to be “I can excuse the fact that this movie is literally a ripoff of ANH if it leads to somewhere good”. The problem is that it led to The Last Jedi, which went out of its way to shit over all the plot points being set up in the previous movie without offering anything better in their place. The “muh subverted expectations” of The Last Jedi was clearly a mistake: it made half of what TFA did and ranked SW merch sales, and completely killed any momentum the Disney trilogy might’ve had because when you go out your way to negate every possible plot thread that was set up in the first movie you kinda leave the next one with nowhere to go. Hollywood doesn’t seem to understand that “subverting expectations” comes with the implicit understanding that you’ll give the fans something better than what they expected - something they never knew they wanted in the first place.

With Eva, the financial argument doesn’t really hold up. 3.0 still made a ton of money despite how divisive it is, and evidentially so did 3.0+1.0 (no doubt through the good word of mouth of the movie actually being a satisfying conclusion that retroactively justifies a lot of the subversion in 3.0). The big difference here is that they apparently DID have a plan and weren’t just making shit up as they went.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:47 am

View Original PostArcher wrote:The big difference here is that they apparently DID have a plan and weren’t just making shit up as they went.
The NHK documentary showed a whole lot of winging it going on.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:58 am

I guess I’d have to see it (and 3.0+1.0 first obviously) to make a more informed judgment on that. I’ve been working on the assumption that the rough overall story of 3.0 and Shin is based on the scrapped “double feature” version, just heavily expanded - so like, they knew the rough direction the story was going to go in, they knew what the ending was going to be, and they knew more or less how they wanted to get there.

If they WERE in fact making stuff up as they went, and finished 3.0 without having a concrete plan for how they were gonna end the series... well, we are beyond lucky that Anno and the writers managed to pull something together, because damn is that a rare sight.

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:37 pm

3.0 was a smash hit when it came out and its apparently intentional weirdness was in fact the main audience draw, but then it's followed with people basically losing hope for Rebuild and casting big doubt for it to conclude well, that's a very risky move and if Eva was a Hollywood project, most producers would've chickened out and force some damage controls since they definitely don't want the next one to flop. The more I think about it, it's kind of amazing how Shin almost single-handedly turned Japan's general moviegoers divisive opinion about Rebuild post-3.0 to near-universally positive, at least from what I've seen on JP Twitter. It'll take a few years to see just what kind of impression Rebuild will leave as a collective work down the line, but I think won't end up like Disney's SW trilogy where people either completely stopped talking about it or only talk about how bad it is as soon as the final film came out.

As for how much they've planned things, I'll make it as vague as possible: The obvious placeholder footage aside, the storyline is quite "accurate" to the original preview narration promised (the one with 8+2), I'd make a guess there's a general outline being made back then but some details evolved or got altered in the years of development. Compared to 1.0 to 2.0, 3.0-Shin also connect to each better and actually feel like they're one story arc being told in two parts (think of Deathly Hallows Part 1&2), so the two-parter thing isn't completely gone.
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:32 pm

View Original PostArcher wrote:I wouldn’t really say that Star Wars’ issue was that it tried to oversell the nostalgia factor. The general consensus around TFA seemed to be “I can excuse the fact that this movie is literally a ripoff of ANH if it leads to somewhere good”. The problem is that it led to The Last Jedi, which went out of its way to shit over all the plot points being set up in the previous movie without offering anything better in their place.

I don't remember TLJ shitting on any plot point in TFA. It only differed from TFA in not being hollow nostalgia-bait trash, which apparently upset a lot of people. Sounds to me like they wanted the trilogy to stay on the path of ripping off what came before instead of "leading to somewhere good". They got what they wanted with TROS, so good for them I guess.

View Original PostArcher wrote:The “muh subverted expectations” of The Last Jedi was clearly a mistake: it made half of what TFA did and ranked SW merch sales, and completely killed any momentum the Disney trilogy might’ve had because when you go out your way to negate every possible plot thread that was set up in the first movie you kinda leave the next one with nowhere to go.

I personally think that critical consensus is a more fitting arbiter of a film's quality than box office results (not that TLJ was even a flop in the first place). I certainly don't think "pleasing fans" should be a priority or standard of quality in any way - our consumerist culture is in a worrying enough state as it is, so I appreciate that TLJ did not give a shit about conforming to the expectations of arrogant fans. As for TLJ "negating" anything that was set up in TFA - here's a secret: nothing was set up in TFA. J.J.'s approach to storytelling is to create theory-bait for fans to get hyped about with no actual answer in mind. He's the essential fanservice director. But yeah, fuck Rian Johnson for taking J.J.'s completely hollow story and turning it into something half-way interesting, I guess. Thank god TROS came and (actually) negated all of that.

View Original PostArcher wrote:Hollywood doesn’t seem to understand that “subverting expectations” comes with the implicit understanding that you’ll give the fans something better than what they expected - something they never knew they wanted in the first place.

Stop saying "Hollywood" when you mean "Rian Johnson". And based on the films of his that I've seen so far, I think Rian Johnson knows plenty about how to subvert expectations in a satisfying manner. I think the issue is that "the fans" don't want "something better" in the first place. I think "the fans" want to be sedated with cheap gratification.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:55 pm

TOPIC, BITCHES

Take the DisneyWars back-and-forth to here
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:38 pm

View Original PostGhostlyOcam wrote:Compared to 1.0 to 2.0, 3.0-Shin also connect to each better and actually feel like they're one story arc being told in two parts (think of Deathly Hallows Part 1&2), so the two-parter thing isn't completely gone.

At the end of the day, everything circles back to the 9 year hiatus. Personally, I'm not surprised at the turnaround, because it was very much in line with my own expectation going in: that if 3.0+1.0 actually provided a satisfying conclusion, I would come back to 3.0 and give it a fair shake. I've already gone into length as to why I think it's an issue that I literally cannot form a proper opinion on 3.0 without seeing 3.0+1.0 first, and the small tweaks I'd make to make 3.0 work better as a standalone movie without significantly changing the plot.

But hey, it is what it is. On this particular subject I dunno if there's much more discussion to be had beyond "...yeah, 3.0 was a pretty awful place to have a 9 year hiatus". Like, whatever your opinions on 3.0, is there anyone who would disagree with that statement? It happened but it's over now, all we can do is put it behind us and appreciate the fact that we got a good "Part 2" at all.

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:28 pm

Hmmm, I've warmed up to the film over the years by appreciating the new direction it took for the franchise, but I think my main issues with 3.0 are the bizarre structure and the short runtime, everything just flows way too fast although I really get the feeling it was all intentional and quite masterfully executed if I see it from that viewpoint, the marketing campaign for that film was particularly amazing in restrospect since the film wouldn't be as Impactful if not for that.

Discounting the weird ones with piano, it only had like two pre-release trailers (a 30-seconds special report notice and a one-minute "main" trailer), had next to no magazine coverages, and my favorite one being how they kept the aspect ratio change a secret right until literally the first midnight screenings (they cropped the 7-minutes TV preview to 16:9), they really designed all that to "optimize" the initial wham factor.

But yeah, a 9-years wait after that kind of film with no real updates until like five years later definitely have soured a lot of people in the process. Well, I'm glad that Shin is out now and everything about it really sounds like the true exact opposite to 3.0 (long runtime, being loved by the audience, actually explains a lot of stuff and provides a satisfying conclusion). I for one can't wait to do a Q: 3.333 and Shin marathon to see just how much these two films were meant to complement each other as a two-parter.
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:16 am

Mr. Tines wrote:
The NHK documentary showed a whole lot of winging it going on.

Depends on what one means by winging it, I guess. The production of Shin certainly seemed pretty chaotic, but I didn't see any indication that Anno had no general plot outline for Shin or NTE or that he was just making the story up as he went along. The process of making the story was certainly a more chaotic, less professional endeavor, but that doesn't mean anyone hadn't the slightest as to the story and the themes.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:20 am

Filmmaking is Jazz, baby! They all knew the instruments, style, and general tunes they were going to play. Anno comes in with his velvet voice and says, "Key of E flat minor, let's roll!" and they all kinda figure out the specifics as they go.

Gendo's Glasses
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo's Glasses » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:53 am

The Rebuilds are interesting. I've been rewatching the original series and, while it still holds up and is still a classic for a reason, there's a lot of stuff that appears to have originated from production issues and/or Anno changing his mind on the tone of the series around Episode 14 - the SEELE clip show special - which really affected the story that was being told, for better or worse. As far as I'm concerned, the Rebuilds are remarkably more coherent with the lore and mythology than the original series was, and I appreciate how turning the first two arcs into two films allows for some incredible climaxes. I also think it commits to its characters a bit better and, again, the worldbuilding is a bit more coherent.

For example, the most obvious issue the original series has is all the stuff with the Angels, SEELE, their various goals, and so on. SEELE didn't actually exist in the proposal and design documents, and my assumption is that they were created around Episode 14. Before that time, the UN, Gendo, the Council, Instrumentality, and so on, their nature, relationship and goals is unclear. For example, it seems that Instrumentality isn't some quasi-spiritual thing, but more an attempt to make mankind immortal but Gendo wants to... do... something... else... maybe? Luckily, the original series manages to make it work with a liberal application of 'it's a conspiracy, and there's another conspiracy' arguments as the series goes on but, well, that's merely a retcon.

SPOILER: Show
The proposal documents seem to indicate that Gendo would attempt to digitise humanity in order to create an equal society, and this would end up being opposed by the UN and the Committee.

Similarly, the giant under Tokyo 3 is clearly Adam for much of the series run. Adam is given to Gendo by Kaji, which is noted as already regenerating even in the bakelite. They crucify Adam and retrieve the Lance in order to halt his growth. As Gendo notes to Fuyutsuki, they need Adam and the Lance to hold all the trump cards, and there's multiple references to an Adam Project that is proceeding to plan - a weird thing to say when it amounts to shoving Adam in Gendo's hand. So, the retcon of Adam to Lillith is a fairly messy one, especially given how late she is revealed and how vital she becomes. The Rebuilds establish Lillith's existence, and the goal of the Angels, in the very first film. The existence of SEELE and Kaworu, too. The Angels want to get to Lillith and wipe out mankind is much better than the Angels keep attacking Tokyo-3 and also that one fleet because they're looking for Adam, who isn't in Tokyo 3 until Episode 10 or so, or they're looking for Lillith or they're looking for both.

(Likewise, Shinji's curiosity about the Angels and why they're attacking and what they want is handled with, like, all the energy of Shinji wondering why coffee tastes like coffee.)

In the series, there's actually a lot of messy writing things where fairly major revelations are handled between episodes. The first of these seems to be that Misato knows the Evangelions were made from Adam during the episode with Leliel. While she could infer this based on Kaji showing her the giant underneath Tokyo-3, and there's nothing that said Misato doesn't know at that point, it's really quite jarring. See also: Kaji being outed as a spy publically at some point between Bardiel and Zereul. Misato also gets into the 'dark conspiracy at the heart of NERV' kind of thinking very suddenly, too. While Unit 01 being special is established by it being the 'Test Type' it likewise feels a little strange just how suddenly its emphasised that Unit 01 is special and must be recovered at all costs.

Perhaps the biggest difference is the nature of the Evangelions. In the series, the Evangelions are barely-restrained constructs that are liable to freak out and go berserk at the slightest provocation. No one really seems to understand them, not even Ritsuko. The armor for an Evangelion is a series of restraints, binding the creature to serve NERV. In the Rebuilds, the Evangelions are way more understood, and the restraints and armor are more like limiters to prevent the pilot from being able to use too much of the Evangelion's deified power. Similarly, Yui-as-berserker is completely absent. See also: Unit 02, how Mari jumps between Evas, and so on. However, certain things persist from the originals, if only developed further: notably, core depth and mental contamination.

As I said, I think the Rebuilds also commits to the characters a bit better, but I think one of the smartest things Anno did was rename Asuka, establishing her as a different person, because she's very different. Shikinami comes across more as the Eva wunderkind, raised from birth to pilot the Evangelions, and so on. You sort of get this from Soryuu, but it's mostly an informed characteristic, much like how she graduated from University, but for the most part she's a normal-if-intense girl. Rei doesn't really do much after the Ramiel fight in the original series, which is a bit unfortunate. Even prior to 3.0+1.0, the rebuild films gave Gendo a bit more depth. Misato, as well. There're some characters who suffer in the Rebuilds and a lot of little character moments you miss out on, but that's why the series complements the original and doesn't replace it.

SPOILER: Show
The proposal documents explicitly state that Asuka and Rei underwent the same training, which, again, kinda comes across better in the Rebuilds with them both being weapons created for a certain purpose.

A big thing I think that Rebuild does better is worldbuilding. NERV's capabilities are really quite broad in the original series, with massive flying wing aircraft to drop Evangelions in a single episode or equipment to fight in magma or whatever else and so on. It works from the idea of designing all these weapon systems to fight the Angels, but it clashes with the idea that SEELE and NERV know what's coming and what they'll need, as well as the impact of Second, uh, Impact where we're told that there's just nothing to spare. I find the inclusion of the IPEA to be way more intriguing than anything with the UN bureaucracy in the original series. I like the link of the Nevada accident to an Impact event as opposed to a Dirac sea. The creepy rainbow Doors of Guf above Antarctica are awesome. I like the inclusion of a Third Angel that the powers-that-be dissected and presumably used to figure out how to control an Evangelion given it has a whole entry plug system. I like how the SEELE/NERV battle for Instrumentality is a bit more obvious, with the moon-made Mark Six and so on. Speaking of the moon giant - the Rebuilds have a lot of great visuals.

Overall, I think it's clear that the Rebuilds are a complimentary piece of Evangelion media, and, in a way, reflect an attempt by Anno to tell the story while being a bit more content. Sure, you lose a lot of the edge and psychological weirdness that the original series was known for, but you gain a story where everything feels more intentional and planned for and more, well, interested in the world that's been created than exploring psychological theories that the creator discovered during production.

baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:05 am

↑ Great post, lots of interesting thoughts and observations.

View Original PostGendo's Glasses wrote:(Likewise, Shinji's curiosity about the Angels and why they're attacking and what they want is handled with, like, all the energy of Shinji wondering why coffee tastes like coffee.)

lmao, well put.

Gendo's Glasses
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo's Glasses » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:54 pm

Adding to what I posted before, it isn't that the Rebuilds do everything better or worse - it's that they do things differently. For example, there's one thing that the Rebuilds don't come close to, which is the final run of episodes post-Shinji's return from Unit 01 where this horrific sense of doom settles over the entire cast and everyone basically deteriorates in record time. It's honestly incredible, and I'd say that the 'end result' is why people excuse some of the messier writing and big last-minute retcons because the overall effect is way better than the sum of its parts.

baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:52 am

For sure. I don't think anything is without flaws, Evangelion included, and I think works of art in general should be appreciated for what they are, warts and all.

I think when works of art become truly engaging they adopt a certain ineffable quality; it's hard for me to articulate this, but it's like they radiate a spirit. This is what I tend to appreciate more than anything about my favorite works of art: when there's such a strong cohesion between all its disparate parts that the work truly comes alive in a manner that you just have to feel. Like you said, when the work transcends the sum of its parts.

I think NGE is incredible from start to finish, but the last leg of its story is definitely when it rose to greater heights than I ever anticipated. The mounting sense of dread is extremely effective and builds up to the climax that's delivered in EoE in a way where it almost feels like the end result is inevitable yet simultaneously astounding when it actually gets there. Just the sheer scale of it all, how it almost transcends its own medium (by literally transitioning to live action but also just with how it utilizes unconventional editing techniques throughout), it truly feels like it stands shoulders above everything that came before, while still tied to it inextricably, with visual callbacks to the beginning (and the title sequence) of the series giving the sense that all of this was foretold from the very start.

It almost feels wrong, putting it into words. Which is why I don't usually attempt to.

If the climax of the Rebuild series even comes close to capturing the same feelings in me as NGE's did, I'll be satisfied. 3.0 makes me feel like it's possible.

Gendo's Glasses
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo's Glasses » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:07 pm

To be completely honest, I think End of Evangelion is why Evangelion is remembered more than the original series. I just watched it again last night and the first half with the assault on NERV and so on is so disturbing and nightmarish and unflinching in its brutality that I feel like I have to watch it with my fingers clutching at my face - even on what must be my fifth viewing! Everyone dies! By the time Third Impact kicks off, you feel positively relieved. While I haven't seen the final Rebuild film yet, I feel pretty confident in saying that there's nothing in the Rebuilds that comes close to matching the psychic distress that End of Evangelion's first half can inflict.

The second half is still pretty good, don't get me wrong, but it's got some of that original series messiness, and I think the Instrumentality sequence - while exquisite - is a little bit too long. And ultimately, the plot plays second fiddle to Shinji's emotional journey. Which, luckily for Evangelion, works really well. But the whole SEELE/NERV conflict is pretty unclear, and I'd say it's completely unknown as to why SEELE breaks with NERV beyond some very broad theories. Like, off the top of my head: why did SEELE go after NERV, why did they not tell the JSSDF to take Shinji alive given they need him for their Impact, does SEELE even have any clue what's going on, how did their Instrumentality differ from Gendo's, why were they so upset about the loss of the Lance when they made nine replicas, etc? These are all very minor things, but the replica lance one is a personal favorite just because of how fans claim the Rebuilds pull things out of a hat when it's convenient - but, what, SEELE secretly building nine replicas of the lance while they seethe publically and privately over the loss of the original isn't? Come on...

So, in that sense, I think the Rebuilds don't quite hit the highs of the original series, but I think the overall experience is more consistent (and have their own great moments, such as Shinji saving Rei from Zereul and kicking off Third Impact.) But there's another thing about the Rebuilds and their relation to the franchise that I think people don't really comprehend. That is, End of Evangelion operates in a strange space where it complements the original series (here's the resolution of the dangling plot threads and what happened 'in the real world') while presenting an alternate reality. I'm aware that I'm trampling on fandom orthodoxy here, but I'll outline my thoughts broadly to avoid reawakening the Concurrency Debate: EoTV is the timeline where Instrumentality kicks off because a. Kaworu's head plunges into Lillith's LCL Sea, or b. Gendo kicks off his version of Instrumentality very quickly afterwards. Either way, EoE is where this doesn't happen. Yet, despite splitting at the end of Episode 24, they inform each other thematically.

(I think the drive for the fans to make both EoTV and EoE fit perfectly into one timeline basically complicates the attempt to understand Eva. They're separate but they're related, you can't really discuss one without discussing the other, alternate doesn't mean it overrides or supersedes, too much emphasis is placed on making things line up than examining the ways they don't, etc.)

For example, I've been doing this recent rewatch with someone who hasn't seen the series before, and at the end of the original series they remarked that - while they found the original ending fulfilling - they kind of hoped a pilot would've died, they wondered what happened in the real world, and so on. Then, they had to pause End of Evangelion at the middle credits when they realized they were getting what they wished for. The other aspect is that I don't think End of Evangelion is complementary in the sense of the timeline - with a close reading, I think it's pretty clear that End of Evangelion is an alternate take on things, as mentioned above - but puts a twist on the stuff that Anno was more interested in, which was Shinji's emotional journey, as a result of following up on that original ending - a sequel, in a sense, and a reimagining. For example, Shinji's existential crisis differs vastly between the TV series and EoE as a result of Anno viewing his issues through another lens. Which is no different to the Rebuilds. The person I've been doing the rewatch with said something along the following lines:

"The original series ending felt like Anno was having a manic episode, like he's realized that depression can be fought with EMDR therapy and positive wellness strategies. End of Evangelion feels like he's grappling with the fact that it's not enough to just realize you can get better, but to actually be prepared to face the world and not lapse into escapism instead. End of Evangelion feels like the message is: go to therapy and sort your shit out before it's too late to do so." Their take on the ending was that Shinji was 'too late' and, while he was alive with Asuka, the world wasn't exactly a good place.

I'm very interested to see what they think about the Rebuilds because of some thoughts they've had over the course of the series run - one of them being that they were adamant (until EoE) that SEELE were aliens and/or related to the Angels, and another being that they really wanted to see Shinji try to fix things. Which is the sort of stuff I think the Rebuilds explore - okay, so, Shinji's taking action to fix things, what does that look like? What if good intentions aren't enough? What if bad things happen as a result of your decision to achieve your hopes and dreams?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat May 01, 2021 12:52 am

View Original PostGendo's Glasses wrote:EoTV is the timeline where Instrumentality kicks off because a. Kaworu's head plunges into Lillith's LCL Sea, or b. Gendo kicks off his version of Instrumentality very quickly afterwards. Either way, EoE is where this doesn't happen. Yet, despite splitting at the end of Episode 24, they inform each other thematically.
The brief scene in episode 25 where Gendo tells Rei "It is time." is repeated again in EoE.

one of them being that they were adamant (until EoE) that SEELE were aliens and/or related to the Angels
That would be the right answer in a different mecha series (APE in Darling in the FranXX).

The Dragon Mask
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Dragon Mask » Sat May 01, 2021 2:51 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:
View Original PostGendo's Glasses#921810 wrote:EoTV is the timeline where Instrumentality kicks off because a. Kaworu's head plunges into Lillith's LCL Sea, or b. Gendo kicks off his version of Instrumentality very quickly afterwards. Either way, EoE is where this doesn't happen. Yet, despite splitting at the end of Episode 24, they inform each other thematically.
The brief scene in episode 25 where Gendo tells Rei "It is time." is repeated again in EoE.

Indeed. It is really surprising how many callbacks to EoTV makes to EoE that people somehow just miss. They are definitely portraying the same events, just from different perspectives and times.

Gendo's Glasses
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo's Glasses » Sat May 01, 2021 2:57 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:
View Original PostGendo's Glasses#921810 wrote:EoTV is the timeline where Instrumentality kicks off because a. Kaworu's head plunges into Lillith's LCL Sea, or b. Gendo kicks off his version of Instrumentality very quickly afterwards. Either way, EoE is where this doesn't happen. Yet, despite splitting at the end of Episode 24, they inform each other thematically.

And yet they are different, so, they can't be the same event. For one, the dialogue is different. For two, Rei is wearing clothes in one version and not in the other.

All it means is that, in both paths/timelines/realities/whatever, Gendo went and found Rei and told her something along the lines of 'the day has finally come.' See also: Ritsuko being shot in the back (EoTV) versus being shot in the chest (EoE). It'd be very easy for the creative team to make these scenes identical to the events of Episode 25. But they didn't. There's only three options: one, EoE supersedes the television series ending, two, the team was sloppy and inconsistent, or, three, the changes were made for a reason.

The Dragon Mask wrote:Indeed. It is really surprising how many callbacks to EoTV makes to EoE that people somehow just miss. They are definitely portraying the same events, just from different perspectives and times.

"...too much emphasis is placed on making things line up than examining the ways they don't..."

More to the point, how can something 'callback' to something that was created after it? It's more accurate to say that EoE is calling back to EoTV.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sat May 01, 2021 7:43 am

There was one interview where Anno compared it to multiple endings in a video game.

I don't think Rei's clothes or lack thereof matter that would be specific detail that something like EoTV would abstract from, but her answer is 'yes commander' not 'eff off', and in the end Shinji thanks Gendo, not her.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

The Dragon Mask
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Dragon Mask » Sat May 01, 2021 12:26 pm

View Original PostGendo's Glasses wrote:
View Original PostThe Dragon Mask wrote:Indeed. It is really surprising how many callbacks to EoTV makes to EoE that people somehow just miss. They are definitely portraying the same events, just from different perspectives and times.

"...too much emphasis is placed on making things line up than examining the ways they don't..."

More to the point, how can something 'callback' to something that was created after it? It's more accurate to say that EoE is calling back to EoTV.

I have highlighted what I have written. "Callbacks to EoTV". Admittedly I made a typo and also wrote "makes to EoE" when I meant to write "in EoE".
Last edited by The Dragon Mask on Tue May 04, 2021 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”