Waiting for Evangelion:3.0+1.0

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

Re: Waiting for Evangelion:3.0+1.0

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:12 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:lol, I know what you mean, man. If you haven't seen SSSS Gridman, I recommend you watch it. If you have seen SSSS Gridman, watch it again. That shit's great! Along with SSSS Gridman, I've been watching through Sailor Moon. I've never actually seen the show before, so this is all new to me. I'm really digging it.

Maybe there's some other acclaimed anime you haven't seen yet that'll keep you busy until international launch date for Shin Eva.

Appreciate the recommendations. Both of those are on my watchlist, I should get around to checking them out. There's certainly a lot of anime (and beyond that, a lot of films, books, games, albums and so on) that I'm planning on checking out. Only problem is that I have a hard time motivating myself to actually get into new things - if a story (or anything, really) grabs me I tend to get pretty attached and find it hard to move on to something else. Not that, y'know, experiencing new media or interests is a zero-sum game or anything, but when it comes to my attention I tend to put a lot of my eggs in one basket. Even when trying to shift my attention elsewhere, I'm more likely to go back to something I'm familiar with before trying something new. Exhibit A, during this wait for 3.0+1.0 I've been getting back into A Song of Ice and Fire, and found out the hard way that distracting yourself from one agonizing wait by reminding yourself of an even more agonizing one is not the best approach. :facepalm: At least 3.0+1.0 already, like, exists in a tangible way.

bobgoesw00t
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby bobgoesw00t » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:08 pm

View Original Postbaldur wrote:
View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever#920833 wrote:lol, I know what you mean, man. If you haven't seen SSSS Gridman, I recommend you watch it. If you have seen SSSS Gridman, watch it again. That shit's great! Along with SSSS Gridman, I've been watching through Sailor Moon. I've never actually seen the show before, so this is all new to me. I'm really digging it.

Maybe there's some other acclaimed anime you haven't seen yet that'll keep you busy until international launch date for Shin Eva.

Appreciate the recommendations. Both of those are on my watchlist, I should get around to checking them out. There's certainly a lot of anime (and beyond that, a lot of films, books, games, albums and so on) that I'm planning on checking out. Only problem is that I have a hard time motivating myself to actually get into new things - if a story (or anything, really) grabs me I tend to get pretty attached and find it hard to move on to something else. Not that, y'know, experiencing new media or interests is a zero-sum game or anything, but when it comes to my attention I tend to put a lot of my eggs in one basket. Even when trying to shift my attention elsewhere, I'm more likely to go back to something I'm familiar with before trying something new. Exhibit A, during this wait for 3.0+1.0 I've been getting back into A Song of Ice and Fire, and found out the hard way that distracting yourself from one agonizing wait by reminding yourself of an even more agonizing one is not the best approach. :facepalm: At least 3.0+1.0 already, like, exists in a tangible way.

Got some anime you might wanna check out as well! If your OK with being stabbed in the feels multiple times over, check out Sarazanmai, Darling in the Franxx (THAT one ripped my still beating heart out of my chest, SHREDDED it into a TRILLION ITTY BITTY TEENY TINY PIECES THEN SHOVED IT BACK INSIDE OF ME at the end...but it was a good ending. Hell I BALLED BY EYES OUT MULTIPLE times while watching the last episode) and if you have HBO Max Tenki no Ko/Weathering With You. I watched that last night after I found out my grandma has passed away early Monday morning and I think she was telling me to finally see it. Lastly if you don't want to cry from hurt feels, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WATCH SHINKANSEN HENKEI ROBO SHINKALION!!! MULTIPLE people have described it as "Evangelion but fun" and they even did a whole crossover episode with the 500 Type Eva Shinkansen with Shinji showing up along with paying homage to Eva many times. It also helps that the show just starting airing a second season two weeks ago and it's been REALLY good so far so I literally can't recommend it enough. To anyone else reading this thread, GO CHECK IT OUT!!! I'll even post the link to the Nyaa page of the guy that's been subbing it so you don't have to look anywhere (https://nyaa.si/user/WeeabooShogun). Hope this helps hold you over until Thrice Upon a Time is out for the world to see.
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

The Dragon Mask
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Dragon Mask » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:44 am

View Original Postbaldur wrote:...

To add on to things, you might be interested in checking out RahXephon, and Eden: It's an Endless World. They're both influenced by Eva, although Eden is a lot more subtle about it (but we know for sure it is because the author says so in the first of many little essays at the end of his volumes, that basically after episode 14 he felt he needed to make his own story like Eva).

As for "Eva but fun", I've heard Eureka Seven is basically like that.

Anyways, I'm also curious where your avatar comes from? The character looks cool/cute!

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:48 am

View Original PostThe Dragon Mask wrote:Anyways, I'm also curious where your avatar comes from? The character looks cool/cute!

It’s Griffith from Berserk, who is definitely NOT cool/cute. I think Baldur chose that picture because it’s one of the few cutesy-looking panels in the entire manga.

baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:02 am

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone!

As for my avatar: yep, that's Griffith from Berserk. He is a cool character, but BM4 is right that his cute look might be a bit deceptive.

Since we're recommending stuff I'll say that Berserk is a great series, one I'd recommend to anyone who likes Eva. An easy place to start is the 1997 anime which adapts only a small portion of the story, but provides a good introduction to the world and premise (definitely read the manga afterwards though).

Raikyu
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Raikyu » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:56 am

View Original Postbaldur wrote:Thanks for the recommendations, everyone!

As for my avatar: yep, that's Griffith from Berserk. He is a cool character, but BM4 is right that his cute look might be a bit deceptive.

Since we're recommending stuff I'll say that Berserk is a great series, one I'd recommend to anyone who likes Eva. An easy place to start is the 1997 anime which adapts only a small portion of the story, but provides a good introduction to the world and premise (definitely read the manga afterwards though).

There's also the 2016 adaptation, but we don't talk about that one :hahaha:

bobgoesw00t
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby bobgoesw00t » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:28 am

View Original PostThe Dragon Mask wrote:
View Original Postbaldur#920835 wrote:...

To add on to things, you might be interested in checking out RahXephon, and Eden: It's an Endless World. They're both influenced by Eva, although Eden is a lot more subtle about it (but we know for sure it is because the author says so in the first of many little essays at the end of his volumes, that basically after episode 14 he felt he needed to make his own story like Eva).

As for "Eva but fun", I've heard Eureka Seven is basically like that.

Anyways, I'm also curious where your avatar comes from? The character looks cool/cute!

TOTALLY FORGOT ABOUT RAXEPHON!!! I finally got around to watching that within the last six months and it was awesome. While I'm thinking about it, if you like shows that have characters that are CLEARLY gay but they never confirm it (kind of like Kawoshin in the Netflix version OTL) check out Free Iwatobi Swim Club, Dive!!, Wave!! -Surfing Yappe- and Sk8 The Infinity x3
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

The Dragon Mask
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Dragon Mask » Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:05 pm

Yeah, RahXephon's interesting, since it reminded me just how much I was probably confused by Evangelion the first time around haha! I think it'd benefit from a re-watch. I think another thing making RahXephon harder to grasp is that unlike Evangelion there are not as many fans so the amount of theories and explanations is a lot more limited. I seem to recall seeing a couple good text ones online as well as maybe a video or two explaining some parts on YouTube.

One problem I had with it was that even though I kept trying to separate it from Eva it was just so similar I was constantly comparing it lol. I think that it's still a great show though, and tries to do more unique stuff than lots of other Eva influenced things do. The "Tokyo Jupiter" concept alone was an interesting twist on things.

Thanks for the extra recommendations as well!

View Original PostBusterMachine4 wrote:It’s Griffith from Berserk, who is definitely NOT cool/cute. I think Baldur chose that picture because it’s one of the few cutesy-looking panels in the entire manga.

Oh really? Haha, well then. I know all too well of Griffith's issues, just from being an anime fan for a while you learn these things haha. It was certainly hard to tell whether the character was a boy or girl, living up to Griffith's famed angrogyny.

View Original Postbaldur wrote:Thanks for the recommendations, everyone!

Yeah, I've been meaning to get to it one day. But I'm just hesitant because it seems it will never be finished. Then again I did buy Satoshi Kon's Opus knowing full well it was incomplete (and sort of made its story about that retrospect).

I just wish it would show signs of actually ending in the author's lifetime so I could get invested without reaching a dead end with no end in sight.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:50 am

im gonna jump on the "warmly recommend berserk" train just be aware that its full of graphic disturbing content that might not be for everyone.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:33 am

The graphic disturbing content is pretty much 90% of the reasons why I like it honestly.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:43 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:im gonna jump on the "warmly recommend berserk" train just be aware that its full of graphic disturbing content that might not be for everyone.

It's not the content that scares me, it's the Japanese VAs performing the content that terrifies me and keeps me up at night. I do not need to listen to Yoko Miyamura getting raped more than once in one life time.

:asuka_sad:

CATO
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby CATO » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:52 pm

Is re-living 1997 part of the appeal of thrice? (not that I actually experienced that) but I imagine a bunch of university students outside of Japan in 1997, asking for clandestine EoE VHS tapes with bad subs at dark brutalist alleys, and sulking at the mainstream people watching sailor moon (or whatever) on national TV. But alas, studio Khara has been efficient at thwarting such hopes for clandestine viewing and not changing their global distribution practices in 2021. Now excuse me while I go sulk at funimation.
"An Andalusian dog in Paris"

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:33 am

The discussion on unfinished artworks has been split off here.

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:14 am

With Demon Slayer out in America, I was quite surprised to find that my local theater is actually screening it, both sub and dub. So it’s good to know that when Shin gets its western theatrical release I won’t have to drive hours to see it. I’m relatively new to anime so I wasn’t really sure what to expect from anime movie distributions.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:40 am

And KnY is rated R, as well. Shin probably won't get a more severe rating than any of its predecessors, I hardly think the content is worse than End of Evangelion's real-world violence or Kaworu's head exploding in Q. KnY is a recent pop culture phenomenon, but Evangelion has deep roots in the anime world, so I'd be hard-pressed to say KnY would get a release but Shin wouldn't due to relevance.

I hope your theater picks it up. Good luck!

baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:20 pm

I'm not optimistic about 3.0+1.0 getting screenings here in Iceland. The one chance would be with our local art-house theater, but they tend to only screen anime stuff on rare occasions, like special "Japense Film Days" events or other collaborations with the Japanese embassy.

:shinji_boohoo:

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:52 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:And KnY is rated R, as well. Shin probably won't get a more severe rating than any of its predecessors, I hardly think the content is worse than End of Evangelion's real-world violence or Kaworu's head exploding in Q. KnY is a recent pop culture phenomenon, but Evangelion has deep roots in the anime world, so I'd be hard-pressed to say KnY would get a release but Shin wouldn't due to relevance.

End of Eva also has very overt sexual themes and imagery, which is really what’s more likely to pick up an R rating in the States. I have trouble imagining that 3.0+1.0 has anything beyond your bog-standard anime fanservice.

bobgoesw00t
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby bobgoesw00t » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:26 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:And KnY is rated R, as well. Shin probably won't get a more severe rating than any of its predecessors, I hardly think the content is worse than End of Evangelion's real-world violence or Kaworu's head exploding in Q. KnY is a recent pop culture phenomenon, but Evangelion has deep roots in the anime world, so I'd be hard-pressed to say KnY would get a release but Shin wouldn't due to relevance.

Already got tickets for my friend and I to go see the subbed version on Wednesday afternoon! Really excited to both finally see it and watch a movie on the big screen :D
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

madmod
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby madmod » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:57 am

I hope as well. I honestly didn't expect Shin to get a US theoretical run but it might be because of COVID we get to see it in theaters. Theaters are dying to be able to show things and get people in seats. Since Eva already has a decent fan base and anime's skyrocketing popularity in the last few years I am more hopeful that I would have initially expected. I was so surprised to see KnY with soi many showings at my local theater. 6 showings a day! That's wild for an anime that isnt Pokémon or even My Hero.

I just hope they don't do the couple anime convention showings and wait a whole year for a real release.
Right by the entrance, you broke
Finally, reality's taking its hold
You're not who you were, but you can't let it go
You're not where you're from, but you're always alone

Xenoblade
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Xenoblade » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:08 pm

Heh, all this talk about Demon Slayer.

Movie theatres are closed in much..perhaps most of my country. I see showings in the few provinces that kept cinemas open, both dubs and subs.

If 3.0+1.0 takes a while to get an English localization, that would allow me to see it in theatres for sure. Outside of COVID closing theatres for understandable reasons, anime does screen here just fine. Hopefully in a few months the world looks much better.

So maybe I'm on team 2022. :shifty: :devil:
Don't be.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”