Evangelion ANIMA (general)

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Re: Evangelion ANIMA (general)

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:25 pm

I think Rei 4 cries at some point? It's a bit of a mush but I do seem to remember that the crazy one at some point sheds some tears
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Zethus Thorne
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Zethus Thorne » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:27 pm

Before or after being Evil?

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:07 pm

Beats me. It's been months since I've last touched Anima
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

AWinters
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AWinters » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:54 pm

I'm about halfway through the forst volume and got bored, so I flicked ahead and read a couple of paragraphs every several pages and it didn't look like it was advancing any.
It seems like after the initial build up, it's all battle that keeps stopping to explain the equipment to us, which ruins the flow for me.

It feels like a bit of a chore to read to be honest.
Does it develop a decent plot that's worth continuing for?

I've seen in this thread that it has its moments, but unless it's got a well formed story, I think I'll struggle to enjoy it.

I found the beginning interesting as it seems to be a "what if NERV fought off the army, beat the MP Evas and instrumentality never happened" universe intro. Good idea, but it just doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

Zethus Thorne
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Zethus Thorne » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:18 pm

SPOILER: Show
View Original PostAWinters wrote:I'm about halfway through the forst volume and got bored, so I flicked ahead and read a couple of paragraphs every several pages and it didn't look like it was advancing any.
It seems like after the initial build up, it's all battle that keeps stopping to explain the equipment to us, which ruins the flow for me.

It feels like a bit of a chore to read to be honest.
Does it develop a decent plot that's worth continuing for?

I've seen in this thread that it has its moments, but unless it's got a well formed story, I think I'll struggle to enjoy it.

I found the beginning interesting as it seems to be a "what if NERV fought off the army, beat the MP Evas and instrumentality never happened" universe intro. Good idea, but it just doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

Maybe Light Novels aren't your forte

Please do not quote entire posts, but only the parts most relevant to what you're going to say yourself. Thank you.
-Zusuchan

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:56 am

mh. i personally thought the detailed explanation on the tech was the best part.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:12 pm

I don't think it's a matter of light novels not being for them. Anima really is exceptionally dry

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:11 am

The guy who wrote it was the mecha designer wasn't he?

As someone who has been doing creative writing since I was 11 & gone from really sucking to reasonably proficient enough to get the occasional bucketload of praise when some Ao3 commenter feels merciful, I feel this could really have benefitted from hiring & comparing notes with a specialized prose person.
Like, if he'd given a list of bullet points complete with the technobabble & battle physics that are his forte & the emotional beats he clearly wanted to hear to an experienced writer.

You can tell when he wants to hit emotional beats, there's thought-through potential here & good ideas, but one can't deny that the craftsmanship is lacking.
I'd like to do to it what this one painter did when he took kid's creative design sketches & drew the same thing but in a practiced art style.

Now that the TuaT script has leaked, english volume 5 is the last thing we got to look forward to XDD Besides the proper film itself. I wonder which of the two will first archieve Englishification.

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:30 am

Ikuto Yamashita is a mechanical designer, yes. And yeah, he should have worked with someone more professional on Anima, though at least the chaos he gave us is more entertaining and interesting than 90% of the other Eva spin-offs "gifted" to the world. Based on what I know, it does seem one is better off with having read about Anima than actually having read it, though.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:03 pm

View Original PostZusuchan wrote:Based on what I know, it does seem one is better off with having read about Anima than actually having read it, though.

Very much that, yeah.

AWinters
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AWinters » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:51 pm

View Original PostZethus Thorne wrote:Maybe Light Novels aren't your forte

I have enjoyed light novels - when I've felt drawn in by the content.
But I'm finding this one boring.

I'm feeling disconnected from the characters because their dialogue is too far out of character and the flow of the story just puts me off.

Apart from the official Manga and "Legend of the Piko Piko Middle School Students", I'm yet to read any Eva books that I actually enjoy.
Last edited by AWinters on Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:12 pm

If I had to pick one piece of Eva franchising that I'd never in a million years say is good, it would be Piko Piko. You'd have to hold me at gunpoint to read any more of that

AWinters
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AWinters » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:28 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:If I had to pick one piece of Eva franchising that I'd never in a million years say is good, it would be Piko Piko. You'd have to hold me at gunpoint to read any more of that

Humour is subjective of course and I got many laughs from it.
I think they're hilarious!

I think the worst of Eva stories are among the video games.

shinryujimikihiko
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby shinryujimikihiko » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:27 pm

To those of you who've read both: which would you prefer on a desert island, Sadamoto's manga or Anima? You can only pick one.

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:14 am

View Original Postshinryujimikihiko wrote:To those of you who've read both: which would you prefer on a desert island, Sadamoto's manga or Anima? You can only pick one.

Anima, by far

It's stupid, but at least the author loves the material.
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

bogusman
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby bogusman » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:52 pm

View Original Postshinryujimikihiko wrote:To those of you who've read both: which would you prefer on a desert island, Sadamoto's manga or Anima? You can only pick one.

Sadamoto's. Been reading it before the anime series were aired. Even prefer it over the anime, EoE & NTE.
Yea...

AWinters
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AWinters » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:18 am

View Original Postbogusman wrote:Sadamoto's. Been reading it before the anime series were aired. Even prefer it over the anime, EoE & NTE.

Same here. I'm only now learning that some fans didn't like it and I'm surprised.
It felt like experiencing Neon Genesis all over again with exciting new twists around every corner. I binge read them all in just under 3 weeks because I just couldn't put them down, I was absolutely gripped!
It's been a few months and I've just started again.

I put the Anima book back on the shelf unfinished. Unfortunately, it was feeling too much like an unrewarding chore to read.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:54 am

A friend has been supplying me with summaries of ANIMA, you can read a concise-ish one of Volume Five on Fandom, here: https://evangelion.fandom.com/wiki/Neon ... ion:_ANIMA

He initially sent me a much longer one before we got around to trimming it down:

Super Eva returns to the ruins of Central Dogma, with Shinji as its pilot. Asuka is also in the entry plug with him. They discover that Lilith’s Chronostatic Sphere has been stolen by Armaros. Still confused by the events of Third Impact, Shinji begins trashing around, but Asuka calms him down and explains that he managed to stop Third Impact. In doing so, Shinji’s dream is now invading reality, and the two are merging. Because of this, the story now takes place in two realms of existence simultaneously: the real world, where the pilots’ bodies and their Evas fight; and “the classroom,” a mindscape where their egos can communicate with each other, even if they’re miles apart.

Maya finds some words scratched in the metal plates of Super Eva’s foot. They belong to Gendo Ikari, who is now watching events unfold from outside of time. Thanks to this message, they learn that Shinji stopped Third Impact 0.8 seconds before completion. However, this caused Shinji to be frozen in time inside the entry plug, and if he were to “wake up,” Third Impact would resume and the world would end in 0.8 seconds.

At some point during this, Asuka manages to get out of Super Eva, most likely using the connection between the real world and Shinji’s dream.

In Yomotsu Hirasaka, a new island formed using pieces of the moon; a group of military pilots encounter an immense, armored quadruped being which resembles, in their own words, “a wolf with armor.” They notice Unit-02 is fused with the monster’s forehead. Meanwhile, Mari escapes Hakone, the narration saying that she feels the call of her pack.

At night, Fuyutsuki and others watch a transmission in the command center. It shows a victory parade taking place in Brussels, but the celebration is interrupted when Armaros attacks. Asuka and Toji sneak into school, where they can contact Shinji’s classroom dream. There, Shinji summons Kensuke, despite being in Germany. Kensuke tells them that Hikari and her Unit, Heuterbise, have become Armaros.

Asuka suggest going to Yomotsu Hirasaka, the new island, and cut the spatial lenses that are siphoning seawater to the moon, sure that Armaros will show up if they do that. Also, Asuka wants a chance to get Unit-02 back. Meanwhile, Rei Quatre appears at the command center along with Kaji, the vessel of SEELE.

Shinji uses the classroom to return his ego to his body inside Super Eva –now christened as the Final Model–, reactivating it, but still keeping the last 0.8 seconds of Third Impact at bay somehow. At the same time, Misato confronts Kaji. He explains that Hikari and Heuterbise became Armaros because they killed the previous Armaros, and the same will happen to Shinji if he destroys the new one. As the minister of the Human Instrumentality Project, Armaros is a fundamental truth of the world, and thus can never be truly destroyed.

The Final Model takes off. Asuka and Toji take a VTOL to Yomotsu Hirakasa, where some soldiers come into contact with the Ark, a collection of the data of all terrestrial life forms and jump-starting mechanism of the Human Instrumentality Project. The Ark releases a wave of life-form data, turning some of the soldiers into pillars of salt and some others into animals. This also causes the Angel Carriers to regenerate. Mari reaches the island by this point.

Shinji faces the Angel Carriers in the Final Model, aided by Asuka and Toji in their VTOL and also by the JSSDF and their mechanical giant, the Akashima. One of the Angel Carriers based on Matarael uses its acid to open a hole in the ground, and both it and the Final Model fall into a cave network.

While falling and fighting another Angel Carrier, this one based on Sandalphon; Shinji’s ego goes back to the classroom, where he learns that Kaji and SEELE are negotiating with Misato: information in exchange for Nerv’s replica of Longinus.

The Final Model sinks into the subterranean magma, where Shinji finds the stolen Lilith’s Chronostatic Sphere. This causes him to interact with other two different possibilities of himself. Using the power of the three, along with the Sphere’s, Shinji summons a new spear which Kaworu’s voice identifies as The Lance of Lucretius, the lance of philosophy. Shinji hurls it upwards, shattering the spatial lenses over Yomotsu Hirakasa. The original Lance of Longinus comes down from space, but stops itself twenty-thousand kilometers above the island.

Armaros reaches the island, speaking with Hikari’s voice. The quadruped giant beast, the one with Unit-02 on its forehead, appears and absorbs the biomass of all humans-turned animals, becoming, in the narrator’s words, “a representative of all non-human species;” who begins to fight Amaros.

The fight doesn’t last long, and the beast is apparently killed, turning into a flock of birds, including Unit-02. Shinji tries to talk with Hikari and reason with her, but it doesn’t work. The Final Model and Armaros fight, the former aided by Toji in the VTOL. Meanwhile, Asuka sees Mari on the ground and pursues her, using a bike that was in the VTOL’s cargo section.

The giant wolfbeast regenerates, and Asuka realizes that it’s actually a reconstituted version of Wolfpack, fused with Unit-02. Mari claims that she can’t go back to being a human or an Eva and howls. Asuka keeps following her, determined to rip Unit-02 out of the monster’s forehead. Meanwhile, back in Tokyo-3, Rei Quatre enters in the classroom, where she contacts Toji’s ego. Toji asks a favor of Quatre. He then returns to the cockpit of the VTOL, where he asks Shinji to save Hikari.

Quatre uses her mutant Eva to break into Nerv HQ, and they send Rei Trois in Unit 0.0 to stop her. Trois, who has re-established her mental connection with Quatre, finds the replica of the Lance of Longinus and steals it, barricading herself into the Glass Egg. This is the shell of Lilith’s Chronostatic Sphere, now hovering over the shore of Lake Ashi. Rei Quatre disappears along with her mutant Unit.

On Yomotsu Hirakasa, Asuka continues to purse Mari, who is becoming more animalistic. When they approach the Ark, Asuka briefly hears the thoughts of other versions of herself, because the Ark contains information on all living beings from all timelines. Mari merges with Wolfpack, and Asuka sees her smiling for the first time.

Asuka reaches the entry plug of Unit-02. Shinji contacts her, asking to activate her Eva because he can’t convince Hikari to leave Armaros; but Mari takes control of Wolfpack and turns towards the Ark, intending to eat it.

The JSSDF provide artillery support to Shinji. They manage to cause some damage to Armaros, but Hikari calls for her sister Kodama and summons a Torwätcher Unit. Toji is also turned into a Torwätcher. Several Angel Carriers are summoned as well.

Wolfpack appears and attack Armaros, since Mari realizes that she won’t be able to eat the Ark while it still lives. Asuka manages to activate Unit-02 and separates it from Wolfpack’s forehead. The original Lance of Longinus reactivates, going after Shinji by Armaros’ orders; but something blocks it and absorbs it.

All over the planet, the roots of the World Tree manifest and bloat the skies. Kaji/SEELE explain that they’re “the road that connects the Human Instrumentality Project.” They’re also what Armaros, Towätchers, the Angel Carriers and Quatre’s mutant Eva have been using to teleport freely around the world. They also explain that the roots have manifested because Shinji threw the Lance of Lucretious, and that they’re seeing “the known universe according to the son of Gendo.” Shinji tells everyone that the World Tree has absorbed the original Lance of Longinus.

Armaros and the two Torwätchers are now flying among the roots of the World Tree, summoning even more Angel Carriers. Realizing that neither her attacks nor her words can reach Hikari, Asuka removes the device that prevents her from fusing with Unit-02 again. Shinji tries to stop her, but he’s too busy fighting the Angel Carriers. Furthermore, he’s been channeling the power of the halted Third Impact to fight, and because of this, now the cataclysm is 0.5 seconds closer to completion.

In Tokyo-3, Rei Trois hears the voice of Gendo inside the Glass Egg, which is now resonating to Lilith’s Chronostatic Sphere. Maya abandons Nerv HQ and walks to the Glass Egg, hoping to talk with Ritsuko, who is outside of time with Gendo.

On the aerial battle, Unit-02 and Asuka fuse into Crimson A1 one more time, but Asuka manages to retain her individuality because she realizes that her mother is inside her Eva. Empowered by a stream of life-form particles from the Ark, Crimson A1 steals Zeruel’s powers from an Angel Carrier and defeats Torwätcher Toji. She then sinks into the roots of the World Tree, following Armaros and Hikari.

In Tokyo-3, Misato realizes that Armaros is coming to take their replica of Longinus, so she orders Rei Trois to keep barricading herself inside the Glass Egg. Maya manages to contact Ritsuko and puts her up to date. Armaros attacks Tokyo-3, but Crimson A1 emerges from the roots and uses Zeruel’s razor-paper-arms to drag it away from the Glass Egg.

Rei Quatre and Kaji/SEELE go into the Egg, and Misato instructs Rei Trois to give them the Longinus Replica. Quatre uses the replica to crack the Glass Egg, bringing back the old HQ into reality along with Gendo, Ritsuko and many others. At the same time, a massive volcanic eruption in Yomotsu Hirasaka launches Lilith’s Chronostatic Sphere into the Moon. Kaji is freed from SEELE’s influence and the Longinus replica is destroyed in the process.

Torwätchers Kodama and Toji pursue Wolfpack through the roots of the World Tree. By this point, the moon has absorbed so much mass from the Earth that it’s several times its original size. Mari, in Wolfpack’s body, tries to reach the Ark, but she’s stopped and wounded by the Torwätchers. Shinji appears in the Final Model before they can finish Mari off.

Inside the roots of the World Tree, Armaros is searching for the original Lance of Longinus. Crimson A1 fights it, along with Rei Trois in Eva-0.0. Armaros fuses with the roots, which come together and take the form of an immense giant of darkness. They urge Shinji to let everyone he can into the classroom in his dream, since it’s indestructible as long as he is alive. However, Shinji’s grip on the last instants of Third Impact is becoming weaker. The egos of Toji, Asuka and even Mari and Hikari meet with the Reis inside the school. Rei Six gives Toji what he had asked Quatre for: his cultivated leg.

Shinji releases the final power of Third Impact, turning the Final Model into a giant of light the size of Armaros itself. Shinji burns some of the roots of the World Tree and cuts one of Armaro’s arms, but in doing so he releases the original Lance of Longinus, and the spear plunges right though his heart, putting a stop to the power of the Third Impact.

In the classroom, the ego of Toji puts the cultivated leg on his own stump, awakening the essence of Bardiel. Because the dream school still exists, they realize that Shinji’s consciousness must be intact somewhere. Asuka’s ego calls out to the dream image of Shinji, trapped inside an entry plug in the middle of the classroom, to no avail. Kaji makes contact with Asuka and tells her to “think of the one you love. You must give him a vessel.”

On the real world, Torwätcher Toji manages to break free from Armaros’ control, thanks to the angelic essence of Bardiel. Toji manages to extract the Heurtebise Unit from inside Armaros, rescuing both Kensuke and Hikari. This also causes the Torwätcher Kodama to stop working.

Meanwhile, a dimensional vertical rupture appears on Crimson A1’s lower body, and a brand new Eva, piloted by Shinji Ikari, comes forth into the world. This process returns both Asuka and Unit-02 to normal.

Shinji gets ready to destroy Armaros, knowing full well that he will be turned into a new one; but Wolfpack and Mari appear and kill Armaros in his place. Using her powers as the new minister of the Human Instrumentality Project, Mari takes the Ark, Wolfpack and the Lance of Longinus to Apple’s Core, a world at the other side of the Sun and the testing ground for the first Human Instrumentality Project. She finds the Lance of Lucretius and hurls it back into space, hoping that it will return to Shinji sooner or later.

The moon becomes the New Earth, since the original has lost both its Ark and too much mass. Shinji, Asuka, the Reis and the other pilots will have to look for a new moon to stabilize the orbit of New Earth; but first, Shinji wants to speak with his father.

The end.

He's writing summaries for the first four volumes as well and will get them done soon. I'm aware a lot of you have been wanting to get details on Anima for years, so we finally have them.

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:44 am

@ FelipeFritschF I just finished reading the last volume of ANIMA and you did a really good job with the spoilers your friend gave you but maybe he forgot to give you other spoilers that I think are important.

Kaworu's voice told a story to Shinji's ego before Shinji / Evangelion 01 Final Model was resurrected / reborn thanks to that dimensional fraction that bound Asuka with their biodata. This story was about how Adam in order to become like God have to cut off evil from himself and the sin that Kaworu called the snake.

After Toji thanks to Bardiel's powers managed to extract Hikari and Kensuke thanks to Bardiel's powers, the Devil's Backbone (the weapon with which Hikari on the Moon managed to destroy the first Armaros) began to take control of Armaros and when Shinji had the final confrontation of Armaros Shinji saw his own deformed face inside the Devil's Backbone.

So Shinji asks Kaworu's voice if he is the snake, but Kaworu replies that this is not something he needs to know (Maybe Kaworu meant that the Shinji of next world could have all the answers he is looking for regarding his bond with this snake?),furthermore Kaworu tells Shinji that he would give him the right to escape from the wheel (perhaps he meant that he would help Shinji escape the planetary reset that is needed to ensure the success of the Instrumentality?)Kaworu then says goodbye to Shinji reassuring him that whatever Shinji becomes he will be on his side.

Before Mari defeats Armaros Shinji wonders what Kaworu meant by running away from the wheel.

A real shame that the story ends without giving answers regarding the link between Shinji with the Serpent and Kaworu's voice, I must be honest I was a little disappointed that the story ends without being shown what Shinji will say to his father and how Shinji's relationship with Asuka and Rei evolves.

I was hoping that Yamashita would give us a less open and clearer ending than EOE and 3.0 + 1.0 but even though ANIMA may be a different story from NGE, Rebuilds and Manga and it seems like a crazy Fan-Fiction it still remains a work of Evangelion in some respects

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:41 pm

So I got volume 5!

Now towards the big finale many stories tend to be hectic and this one was full of half-finished wacky thoughts at the best of times, so I feel the hecticness was significantly out of control here - there's stuff like Misato vaguely recalling her demise from the EoE timeline & then it's never brought up again, Shinji mentioning something from one of those visions of Kaworu & no one reacts, it could stand to decompress & linger more on the individual thoughts.
also, not enough Rei in this volume.

That said, I do like the idea of Armaros' words coming out somewhat different when filtered through Hikari's voice vs. Rei's, & some of the fight scene stuff - especially the visual of the main pilots - each somehow horribly transformed - fighting the final boss together. Though I would've reinforced that image further, perhaps by having all the Reis attack at once.

Also, it wasn't very Cash Money of Quantum Yui to disguise herself as the one Rei who blew up, giving me false hope that she was somehow gonna come back
Still, I guess we gotta thank her for un-mindwiping Kaji.
Though it's pretty in character for her to just say some cryptic words and peace out again. If I were Gendo, I would file for divorce... no, actually, they deserve each other. No one else would put up with either of them.

I'm pretty sure the vague talk about "wheels" was supposed to be the samsara reincarnation wheel

You know what this really needed tho? As much as single domestic household scene in which Misato & the kids try to have a regular dinner despite all the weirdness that has befallen them.

The ending was... very different from the various rumors/spoilers floating around on the 'chans. No evil Kaworu, no Shinji being stranded in space. They just beat the baddie and that's it, leaving the next iteration to worry about the cycle.
I do wonder how Shinji & Rei expect Gendo to build a new moon, but after all the wackyness we've seen so far, I'm sure they pulled it off somehow lol

Observations with relation to Rebuild spoilers:
I guess ideas that were reused were an extra spear being magicked up, ghost Kaworu, and Yui being actually glad to see Gendo.
And of course, the giant moon.And the term "Final Impact", I guess. Oh, and EVAs turning into Adam-like 'radiant giants' that MUCH harder to control. The world tree bit meanwhile, reminds me of Gakuen Datenroku XDD Even if the lore, is, ab observed before, utterly incompatible.
Also, with the revelation that all the pilots are artificial, that might be one similarity between the Maris, for all that the semblance is mostly nominal.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”