Evangelion Pic Thread 11: Mari's Middlesex Manor of Mayhem and Fantabulous Foppery

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

shinryujimikihiko
Adam

Re: Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0 Spoiler Fanart, Merchandise and Cosplay

•      
  •      

Postby shinryujimikihiko » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:23 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:
Moved from Berserker's dump in the open forum

Kaji and Kaworu:
SPOILER: Show

Handsomest and classiest Kaji I've ever seen. He doesn't look like sleaze here.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:33 am

Anime cafe menu, Shin Eva edition

Kaji and family

KawoRei

One Last Kiss

Image Image

LAS (old and busted)

LAS (the new hotness)

Image Image Image

碇サクラ

Image Image Image Image Image
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:21 am

Mr. Tines wrote:LAS (old and busted)

Mr. Tines wrote:LAS (the new hotness)

Damn hahahaha! You're malicious, Mr. Tines! I don't know how you can live performing such evil deeds every day...

Katsuragi family
Source: https://twitter.com/014momen102?s=09

Sleepover trio
Source: https://twitter.com/_pezez?s=09

Princess - Round 5
Sources: 1 - https://twitter.com/Baumku_techen?s=09
2 - https://twitter.com/avil_m11?s=09
3 - https://twitter.com/Tanityu?s=09

Shin Ayanami
Source: https://twitter.com/ayanami_rei_T?s=09
Last edited by BernardoCairo on Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:34 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:LAS (old and busted)

LAS (the new hotness)

When you posted in the non-spoiler fanart thread about "LAK" (Asuka x Kaji) and "the other LAK" (Asuka x Kensuke) I wanted so hard to make a joke about the "other other LAK"! :lol:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:02 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:When you posted in the non-spoiler fanart thread about "LAK" (Asuka x Kaji) and "the other LAK" (Asuka x Kensuke) I wanted so hard to make a joke about the "other other LAK"! :lol:
A bit of a Freudian slip there (my emphasis)...

But yes, the "other other" had occurred to me, too.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:25 am

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:Katsuragi family

Man, these art lumping Kaworu in with the family makes me seriously wonder if someone involved saw my old ideas of "what if Kaworu was Misato's biological son, courtesy of Second Impact?"...
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:04 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:
View Original PostElMariachi#920577 wrote:When you posted in the non-spoiler fanart thread about "LAK" (Asuka x Kaji) and "the other LAK" (Asuka x Kensuke) I wanted so hard to make a joke about the "other other LAK"! :lol:
A bit of a Freudian slip there (my emphasis)...

But yes, the "other other" had occurred to me, too.

Oh damn! :hitthetable:
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:29 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:When you posted in the non-spoiler fanart thread about "LAK" (Asuka x Kaji) and "the other LAK" (Asuka x Kensuke) I wanted so hard to make a joke about the "other other LAK"! :lol:

Honestly, I thought about the same thing hahaha! Anyway, if you think about it, the original LAK is the same deal as this new one...
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:32 am

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:Honestly, I thought about the same thing hahaha! Anyway, if you think about it, the original LAK is the same deal as this new one...

Kensuke and Asuka's relationship in Shin is explicitly a parallel to the one she had with Kaji in NGE, Kensuke and Asuka's VAs even explained that Anno and Tsurumaki explicitly told them that the nature of their relationship was parental so they wouldn't accidentally make their lines sounds like they were lovers.

Now, with Asuka gaining an adult body at the end of Shin you can make your imagination run and imagine that their relationship grew to another level, but that's up to the viewers! :tongue:

The18°angel
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The18°angel » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:48 am

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:
View Original PostBernardoCairo#920575 wrote:Katsuragi family

Man, these art lumping Kaworu in with the family makes me seriously wonder if someone involved saw my old ideas of "what if Kaworu was Misato's biological son, courtesy of Second Impact?"...

well that would be interesting and would also add even more trauma to Misato considering that at the end of the series she felt guilty that she had failed to be a mother or older sister to Shinji.

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:47 pm

ElMariachi wrote:Kensuke and Asuka's relationship in Shin is explicitly a parallel to the one she had with Kaji in NGE, Kensuke and Asuka's VAs even explained that Anno and Tsurumaki explicitly told them that the nature of their relationship was parental so they wouldn't accidentally make their lines sounds like they were lovers.

Yeah, in her interview with Movie Walker, Miyamura basically told us that Anno denied any romantic overtones between the two. If I'm not mistaken, she talked about it on other occasions as well. This didn't come as a surprise, though. The overwhelming majority of people who watched the movie seem to have the impression that they are just friends (with Kensuke being some kind of father figure to Asuka).
As for the parallels between Kensuke and Kaji, I'm not sure if they were officially discussed. That said, the similarities are there. I wonder if Aida was redesigned with that in mind. Honestly, they look alike.

ElMariachi wrote:Now, with Asuka gaining an adult body at the end of Shin you can make your imagination run and imagine that their relationship grew to another level, but that's up to the viewers!

Well, if even the original LAK exists, anything goes, I guess. The Evangelion fanbase loves to go wild with their imagination hahaha!

Toji - FINALLY
Source: https://twitter.com/YADORAKI_3?s=09

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:24 am

Kaworu

It's Gendo!

Image Image

Salaryman Shinji

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Mari

碇サクラ

Image Image Image

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:03 am

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:Man, these art lumping Kaworu in with the family makes me seriously wonder if someone involved saw my old ideas of "what if Kaworu was Misato's biological son, courtesy of Second Impact?"...

Or if Dr. K was his donor.
Doesn't seem too strange that Kaji would get close to him if they worked together, both are pretty personable. Kaji would want to know what his deal is as the "new boss", and if he already took Shinji under his wing why wouldn't he do it with (what at least looks like) another random boy?
He would've been wary at first & maybe just trying to get info, & then he would've noticed that Kaworu is not actually loyal to SEELE.

All this fanart of Kaji & Misato with Ryoji, Shinji & Kaworu makes me feel like Asuka has been kinda forgotten though.

In 2.0 it seems like she was on the way to bonding with Misato, but after the timeskip their relation seems purely professional, & if Asuka has any support figure at WILLE it's Mari. I wonder if there was a communication breakdown somewhere along the way, maybe because Misato changed after the impact fiasco - in any case, it didn't make a dent in Asuka's impression that she "never had anyone to take care of her", so it very much seems like she didn't keep living with Misato.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:25 am

Well, Misato seems to be hardcore in her self-imposed isolation. Outside of Ritsuko, it feels like she has no other friends. I mean, as a captain, she takes care of her crew. But that's pretty much it. She is not the same Misato as before. After what happened to Shinji and Kaji, she doesn't even seem to consider herself worthy of being called a mother. Misato never even talked to her own son. With that in mind, I see why she would distance herself from Asuka. It's sad, but at least Shikinami found other people to support her.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:45 am

I never too attached to any particular theory for Kaworu's donor. There's a bunch of possible ones and the show itself never so much as mentions it.

- Keel (similar hair texture I guess? i the one prominent SEELE member we rly know) Then again would they give him a japanese-sounding codename if he didn't look that way?

- Gendo (that got traction around 2.0 came out bc of the mysterious 'father' line/ for symmetry & since there was always some thematic connection through Adam, but it's a total speculation since they look nothing alike)

- Dr. K since he was present in Antarctica; This would add a nice irony to how Misato was so suspicious of him.

- Most likely it was just some rando

- He took his look from a mix of all humans the angels had contacted before - ie he looks like a mix of all the children.

- He just looks human like because of how the angels are not that different from the humans

(The last two made more sense with just the original show's canon, before the DC and EoE further cemented him as an analogue to Rei deliberately created, not just a 'human-like angel'.)

But now that we got a canon where he's sort of tight with Kaji, the Dr. K option seems appealing again because of that.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:29 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:All this fanart of Kaji & Misato with Ryoji, Shinji & Kaworu makes me feel like Asuka has been kinda forgotten though.

In 2.0 it seems like she was on the way to bonding with Misato, but after the timeskip their relation seems purely professional, & if Asuka has any support figure at WILLE it's Mari. I wonder if there was a communication breakdown somewhere along the way, maybe because Misato changed after the impact fiasco - in any case, it didn't make a dent in Asuka's impression that she "never had anyone to take care of her", so it very much seems like she didn't keep living with Misato.

I haven't seen much fanart of Ryoji with his kid and Kaworu where Shinji is also present. For me the ending scene of Shin and Kaworu's scene in Instrumentality being about how he should learn to live for himself and not through Shinji made it clear that Shinji didn't moved in with the Katsuragis (or won't move, if we assume that there wasn't a timeskip between the end of Instrumentality and the epilogue), but moved on his own.
In fact, I'm starting to think that Mari's role at the end is to be that parental figure that Asuka alluded that was what he actually needed, someone to guide him and help him while the rest of the cast start their own life. (which doesn't mean that they'll never meet again mind you, the bond between them is too strong, but I can see Shinji traveling around the world for a while before settling)

As for Asuka, it seems that Kensuke took over Misato's role of a parental figure, although that implies that Asuka must had felt very alone in the years between her waking up and when Kensuke grew up enough to be that parental figure, a chance that Mari was there or she probably would had lost it. (or at least be much less functional and mentally healthy by the time Shinji came back)

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:55 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:I haven't seen much fanart of Ryoji with his kid and Kaworu where Shinji is also present. For me the ending scene of Shin and Kaworu's scene in Instrumentality being about how he should learn to live for himself and not through Shinji made it clear that Shinji didn't moved in with the Katsuragis (or won't move, if we assume that there wasn't a timeskip between the end of Instrumentality and the epilogue), but moved on his own.
In fact, I'm starting to think that Mari's role at the end is to be that parental figure that Asuka alluded that was what he actually needed, someone to guide him and help him while the rest of the cast start their own life. (which doesn't mean that they'll never meet again mind you, the bond between them is too strong, but I can see Shinji traveling around the world for a while before settling)

In itself, Shinji wouldn't exactly have a place in Village 3, especially if he wants Kaworu and Rei (and Asuka to a lesser extent) to find their own place and live for themselves

Asuka will continue to live with Kensuke. Rei II (guided by Rei Q memories) is likely to live with Touji's family. As you mentioned, Kaworu would live with Misato and Kaji.

Now, Mari doesn't seem a parental figure for Shinji. There is a flirty vibe between them. Also, although we discover Mari should be older, she still behave like the age she looks.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:23 pm

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:In itself, Shinji wouldn't exactly have a place in Village 3, especially if he wants Kaworu and Rei (and Asuka to a lesser extent) to find their own place and live for themselves

Asuka will continue to live with Kensuke. Rei II (guided by Rei Q memories) is likely to live with Touji's family. As you mentioned, Kaworu would live with Misato and Kaji.

Now, Mari doesn't seem a parental figure for Shinji. There is a flirty vibe between them. Also, although we discover Mari should be older, she still behave like the age she looks.

She could be a lover and a mentor figure thought.
I'm saying that because despite Kaworu telling Shinji that he needs to find a place to call home (and he repeats it in Shin) and Asuka saying that Shinji needs a parental figure (at least that's how I interpreted her "she don't need a girlfriend, but a mother" line from what I read), Shinji got neither, since as you said the rest of the characters already have taken a place in Village-3.
That's why Mari is at his side, because Shinji doesn't have anything or anyone else left aside the people now living in Village-3 (assuming they don't move somewhere else now that the world is retconned), he could come back to live with whoever was his guardian before he moved to Tokyo-3, but it didn't seemed to have any love between them (and it's implied that we worked for Gendo...).

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:36 am

Personally I firmly assume that Shinji ended upspending ages 15 to 20 with the Suzuharas (unless Misato lives - heck even then it seems more likely)

Like Touji even tells him he can stay. & this is the first time he ever got a sincere out that doesn't come with the caveat that he'll lose what little connections he had. A true offer with no conditional bullshit.
It's just that he had stuff to wrap up first - which he could probably face *because* he'd received that real support

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:22 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Personally I firmly assume that Shinji ended upspending ages 15 to 20 with the Suzuharas (unless Misato lives - heck even then it seems more likely)

Like Touji even tells him he can stay. & this is the first time he ever got a sincere out that doesn't come with the caveat that he'll lose what little connections he had. A true offer with no conditional bullshit.
It's just that he had stuff to wrap up first - which he could probably face *because* he'd received that real support

You mean that Shinji lived with them for a few years and that the train station scene is after a time skip? That could be possible, if there wasn't the issue of Shinji's DSS Choker, it wouldn't make sense for him to have kept it all this time. And as Nuke-kun said, the way it transition from the beach to the train station gives the impression that it was immediate.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”