[SPOILERS] Five Crosses, Six spears?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Raikyu
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: [SPOILERS] Five Crosses, Six spears?

•      
  •      

Postby Raikyu » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:05 pm

So the fifth cross wasn't always there? Was it put after the second impact?

Pluto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Pluto » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:54 pm

View Original PostRaikyu wrote:So the fifth cross wasn't always there? Was it put after the second impact?

Most likely, it was always there. The crosses foreshadow the fourth impact ritual that gendo initiates later on.
Oh, the clock is ticking out

DantesInferno
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby DantesInferno » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:46 am

I too was wondering what the black sphere might mean, but couldn't make the connection with the 8th angel (duh! looks so obvious once you're told).

I assumed the 5th cross was there right from 2I, together with the other four; it's just that we cannot see it in the flashback because it's slanted (Anno troll!).

---

In any case, what are the crosses really? What do they represent? They're the same overall shape as the "cross explosions" that appear all across the series, but solid and opaque (red). Many many can be seen sprinkled around the "face landscape" in Q, when Kaoru explains the timeskip to Shinji.

I mean, the explosion crosses can be explained away as artistic license/gratuitious religious imagery, but these are persistent, physical objects that are featured quite prominently...

Perhaps the're towers of Failures of Infinity crammed together, much like the shaft supporting Nerv HQ, but just happen to look smooth from the distance??

Pluto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Pluto » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:10 am

View Original PostDantesInferno wrote:I too was wondering what the black sphere might mean, but couldn't make the connection with the 8th angel (duh! looks so obvious once you're told).

I assumed the 5th cross was there right from 2I, together with the other four; it's just that we cannot see it in the flashback because it's slanted (Anno troll!).

---

In any case, what are the crosses really? What do they represent? They're the same overall shape as the "cross explosions" that appear all across the series, but solid and opaque (red). Many many can be seen sprinkled around the "face landscape" in Q, when Kaoru explains the timeskip to Shinji.

I mean, the explosion crosses can be explained away as artistic license/gratuitous religious imagery, but these are persistent, physical objects that are featured quite prominently...

Perhaps they're towers of Failures of Infinity crammed together, much like the shaft supporting Nerv HQ, but just happen to look smooth from the distance??

Great post! Yeah, I have no definitive conclusions on this one.

Reichu provided a great clarification on the egg/sphere from the second impact in her tweet below.
Oh, the clock is ticking out

DantesInferno
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby DantesInferno » Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:18 pm

View Original PostPluto wrote:Great post! Yeah, I have no definitive conclusions on this one.

Reichu provided a great clarification on the egg/sphere from the second impact in her tweet below.

Thanks for the link; The “collective egg” idea makes more sense.

Thus, much like in NGE, the angels were created at Seccond Impact. And likely, Kaworu was the first one to come out of the egg, and has aged accordingly (15 years old); however, this does not fit with the loop/coffins…

I watched 2.0 (once again!) yesterday and noticed though that when the 8th angel is destoryed, multiple rainbows appear. I’m still torn between the “rainbows have a metaphysical significance” and “it’s just an optic effect created by the LCL turned into a fine mist suspended in tbe air” though.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:48 pm

^
I think those coffins/Kaworu appear on the moon when 2nd impact/instrumentality happened in this current loop.
In other timelines they probably appear in different locations.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”