Shin Eva - Official Social Media: 2.22 You Can (Not) Release

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

Re: Shin Eva - Official Social Media: 2.22 You Can (Not) Release

Postby FelipeFritschF » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:40 pm

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:25 am

Nishigori's cats and dog.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:27 am

Yamashita tweeting Sakura and Midori's cabin

Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:06 pm

Ah, so Midori and Sakura share a room, much like Mari & Asuka
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:12 pm

It's a nice shot that says a lot without needing to tell anything: the little touches of customization gives life to this room, it really gives the feel that people live in here, so Sakura and/or Midori's hobby is to collect and conserve plants and flowers from Village-3, cute. (and coherent)
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Postby BernardoCairo » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:58 pm

This is sweet.
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

Postby GhostlyOcam » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:16 am

BS1 will air Farewell, all Evangelion ~1214 Days of Hideaki Anno~ special program on April 29, which is an extended version of Anno's NHK Professionals documentary. It will feature new footages and interviews and run for 100 minutes (around 30 minutes longer than the original run). The original Professionals special will also have a re-airing on May 5th on NHK General.
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

Raikyu
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Raikyu » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:31 pm

Something revealed about the Wunder. I tried to use Machine Translation, but I didn't understand.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:40 pm

Escape pods?
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:20 pm

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:Escape pods?

Yep, those are the escape pods, so that's what those five pillar on the Wunder's back were.
There's also another very interesting fact: according to the (machine-translated) tweet, those five pods weren't initially in the Wunder (back when it was still called NHG Atonement), but the five "orbital assault boats" that were used by the Kaji's team when they captured it for WILLE, which implies that it was originally in space. (or that the team did an orbital drop directly on the site where it was stored), holy shit I want to have a depiction of the events of the time skip more than ever, everything we learn about it is fucking mental!
And the fact that it was Kaji's team mean that WILLE had the Wunder since before Third Impact!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:44 pm

View Original PostRaikyu wrote:

"If they're escape pods, why does it look like they have to drill their way out of the Wunder when they eject? Well, that's because those capsules were originally five orbital attack vessels, used by Kaji's team when they took the Wunder. They targeted the Wunder's umbilical cable connector, stabbing deep into it, and the area around the site was patched up to make it seem like they were actually part of the ship."

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:And the fact that it was Kaji's team mean that WILLE had the Wunder since before Third Impact!

In the flashback sequence where Misato sees Kaji off on his run to stop 3I, we can see the Wunder in the background. Maybe they didn't acquire it before 3I, but they certainly acquired it before 3I was halted.

Raikyu
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Raikyu » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:02 pm

Thanks a lot for the translation. It's interesting how slowly, and piece by piece, they're revealing more information about the hidden lore.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:59 am

Some sketches of Nerv's Wunder units, from Yamashita Ikuto. I'll get to translating these in a bit, but the gist is that he's going into the difference between Wille's Wunder and the units that Nerv uses to fight it during the dogfight in the third act.

SPOILER: Show

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

Postby GhostlyOcam » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:00 am

Yeah, Yamashita's been on a roll dropping production materials and lore this past few weeks on Twitter, Zombie Kaworu is certainly the most interesting one for me. Between the whole thing about the Grand Theft Wunder backstory and Real Third Impact(?), there's really more than enough grounds to cover to make Evangelion: 2.0+1.0 :lol:
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:10 am

I'm curious about what the Yamashita materials are myself.

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:

This is sweet.

They very sensibly had Hikari's hair tied up in a bun later, or it would've been swatting little Tsubame's nose every time she turned her head.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:32 am

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Some sketches of Nerv's Wunder units, from Yamashita Ikuto. I'll get to translating these in a bit, but the gist is that he's going into the difference between Wille's Wunder and the units that Nerv uses to fight it during the dogfight in the third act.

And now, the translation:

"The ship that Nerv uses in the aerial battle, which is the completed version of the Wunder's design, as well as the Wunder itself, were going to have the same prow in the beginning. While both look vaguely biological, the Wunder was originally designed to have viscera inside its armor plating like a living creature. So in the end, is it a machine or not? During the scene in Shin when the ship is destroyed, the entire thing appears mechanical throughout, so I guess the details are a bit fuzzy."

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:09 am

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:
View Original PostRaikyu#920469 wrote:

"If they're escape pods, why does it look like they have to drill their way out of the Wunder when they eject? Well, that's because those capsules were originally five orbital attack vessels, used by Kaji's team when they took the Wunder. They targeted the Wunder's umbilical cable connector, stabbing deep into it, and the area around the site was patched up to make it seem like they were actually part of the ship."

This is hilarious, I can see the conversation happening: "Hey, what do we do with the attack pods that drilled inside the ship?" "Just build around it and pretend that it was always there, no one's gonna suspect a thing!" :hitthetable:

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:
View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox#920510 wrote:Some sketches of Nerv's Wunder units, from Yamashita Ikuto. I'll get to translating these in a bit, but the gist is that he's going into the difference between Wille's Wunder and the units that Nerv uses to fight it during the dogfight in the third act.

And now, the translation:

"The ship that Nerv uses in the aerial battle, which is the completed version of the Wunder's design, as well as the Wunder itself, were going to have the same prow in the beginning. While both look vaguely biological, the Wunder was originally designed to have viscera inside its armor plating like a living creature. So in the end, is it a machine or not? During the scene in Shin when the ship is destroyed, the entire thing appears mechanical throughout, so I guess the details are a bit fuzzy."

The original prow of the Wunder was absolutely terrifying! It looks like a giant demonic whale head, that would had made the Wunder's Moby Dick to Misato's Captain Acab!

Yamashita's tweets are a gold mine on lore and exploring how the designs evolved along the creative process, what''s incredible and that I didn't noticed first, is that some of those designs goes from way back, for example, his design on the Wunder''s greenhouse and MP-Eva shaped "white cells" (that he tagged Shineva, so it wasn't for Q) date from 2010, two years before Q was released:

Same thing with the tweet about zombie Kaworu, the design is dated from 2013, barely one year after Q's release. And the initial concepts for the Dark Wunders were also from 2013.
On the other hand, designs of the escape pods that appear in Shin are much more recent, from 2019 and 2020.

And not only that, but all the designs from Village-3 are much more recent, from 2018 at the earliest (trivia, almost all the character concepts of Village-3 were made by Moyocco Anno):

Concept art of Misato's old electric car that was planned to be used in Village-3 as a storage battery for naturally generated power, design from 2018 :
https://twitter.com/ikuto_yamashita/sta ... 7607721984

Concept arts of adult Hikari and Tsubame (2018 and 2019 respectively):
https://twitter.com/khara_inc2/status/1 ... 2655731714

Concept art of the old ladies (2018):
https://twitter.com/khara_inc2/status/1 ... 8398268418

Concept art of Asuka with a shirt and sandals in Village-3 (2019):
https://twitter.com/khara_inc2/status/1 ... 3341197313

This is just a theory of mine, but I have the impression that the Wunder was initially supposed to make a much important part of Shin, and that at some point there was a shift in the narration, from which Village-3 was born. Maybe Anno's depression after Q played a role in it?

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:16 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Concept art of Asuka with a shirt and sandals in Village-3 (2019):

So, that tweet says that Asuka embroidered the name on the doll herself. (And that she's bad at it.) Also that Asuka's been repairing it for the past ten years, which is why the thread color and thickness of the stitching isn't always consistent.

Gosh, there's so much about Evangelion that we'd just never know without being able to read these production materials.

Raikyu
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Raikyu » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:51 am

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Gosh, there's so much about Evangelion that we'd just never know without being able to read these production materials.

Indeed, and all these details are so cool. At this point, I think they will compile all this information in a book and release it after the theatrical exhibition run comes to an end. There is some much information that they clearly thought about but will wait for the right moment to sell it out.

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Postby BernardoCairo » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:42 am

Nuclear Lunchbox wrote:So, that tweet says that Asuka embroidered the name on the doll herself. (And that she's bad at it.) Also that Asuka's been repairing it for the past ten years, which is why the thread color and thickness of the stitching isn't always consistent.

I love how developers often work on little details that never end up being part of the final product. It makes the world seem more "real" and fleshed out. This one, in particular, makes so much sense! It slightly enriches the character and the setting. Thank you for explaining the notes.
I wonder if her doll appears on the village. So far, I've only been able to spot it in the Instrumentality bits.

UrsusArctos wrote:They very sensibly had Hikari's hair tied up in a bun later, or it would've been swatting little Tsubame's nose every time she turned her head.

I hadn't thought of that. Nice!
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”