Waiting for Evangelion:3.0+1.0

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Archer
Matarael
Matarael

Re: Waiting for Evangelion:3.0+1.0

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:33 am

View Original PostRaikyu wrote:In Japan, the movie finished its run on IMAX, while in the West it hasn't even started, in any format :penpen_cry:

It’s okay, the end of the theatrical run in Japan is the next COPE for when the alleged streaming release might drop, so the closer we get to the movie leaving theaters, the closer we get to a potential international release.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:36 am

Factually, we have never been closer to a Shin than this very moment. Wait, actually this moment... No, this one...

JuanSorel
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby JuanSorel » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:36 am

View Original PostRaikyu wrote:
View Original PostGhostlyOcam#920333 wrote:As of today, Shin Eva has finished its run on IMAX and 4D screens in most theater chains. There's a big round of applause after the very last IMAX screening on Grand Cinema Sunshine tonight, khara nigouki was there among the audience so she was surprised and delighted to witness that.

In Japan, the movie finished its run on IMAX, while in the West it hasn't even started, in any format :penpen_cry:

Well, considering the world is round, I am sure Japan is west from somewhere...

Jesus, East and West are terms so outmoded they should be dead by now.

Macattack0344
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Macattack0344 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:49 am

Anyone remember how long Q's run was?

I think it was until April 2013, but could be wrong. Although no telling how COVID has impacted long-term screening of movies past the first six weeks.

Edit: I guess this answers my question

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... illion-yen

Raikyu
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Raikyu » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:00 am

View Original PostJuanSorel wrote:Jesus, East and West are terms so outmoded they should be dead by now.

You may not like it, and I agree with you that those terms may not make sense if you think about it, but you can't deny that these words are conventions to distinguish one side of the globe from the other one.

JuanSorel
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby JuanSorel » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:04 pm

View Original PostRaikyu wrote:
View Original PostJuanSorel#920338 wrote:Jesus, East and West are terms so outmoded they should be dead by now.

You may not like it, and I agree with you that those terms may not make sense if you think about it, but you can't deny that these words are conventions to distinguish one side of the globe from the other one.

I never put in question that they are used. That is a fact. I put in question their intelligence. My likes or dislikes are completely irrelevant here.

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:25 am

Copied from the spoiler forum, since some of you will definitely want to know:
View Original PostGhostlyOcam wrote:BS1 will air Farewell, all Evangelion ~1214 Days of Hideaki Anno~ special program on April 29, which is an extended version of Anno's NHK Professionals documentary. It will feature new footages and interviews and run for 100 minutes (around 30 minutes longer than the original run). The original Professionals special will also have a re-airing on May 5th on NHK General.
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:38 am

For people who have watched this... is this like an animated CRC where they go through the changes the movie went through during its production, or a more generic “making of” the final product?

Raikyu
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Raikyu » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:45 am

View Original PostArcher wrote:For people who have watched this... is this like an animated CRC where they go through the changes the movie went through during its production, or a more generic “making of” the final product?
It's more focused on Anno and his personal fights. But shows a lot of behind-the-scenes during the production, including "making of" moments. There is also another thing, but I'm gonna hide, because I'm not sure if you can consider that spoilers.

SPOILER: Show
It also reveals some changes but does not explicitly reveal how it was originally planned. And those changes are only in certain parts of the script, and not in the overall story.

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:34 pm

Yeah, it's a part of "The Professionals" series of TV specials that highlights exceptional figures in their respective fields (e.g. chef, bus driver) so the focus is mostly on one individual along with their work attitudes and environments.

From the description, seems like this extended edition is created both because of the positive audience reception and there's more than enough footage to make it longer but NHK couldn't at first as it's locked to a specific runtime, Hence why this version removed "The Professionals" moniker and becomes its own one-off TV program.
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

CharPenPen
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby CharPenPen » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:39 pm

It was announced today that Gundam: Hathaway will have a same day Blu-ray release next month. If only it could have been the same with Eva :/

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:03 pm

View Original PostCharPenPen wrote:It was announced today that Gundam: Hathaway will have a same day Blu-ray release next month. If only it could have been the same with Eva :/

Yeah, the turnaround on Gundam movies are really quick. It's unfortunate that Eva doesn't work the same way, but there was a ton of Yen to be made as the numbers have shown, so I can't really blame anyone for sticking to a standard release.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:19 pm

sigh
still no news about 3.0+1.0, huh..?

:shinchair:

I know I should probably just forget about it for now and focus my attention elsewhere... in some ways I have been doing that (or trying at least), but the prospect of Shin just seems to occupy a certain spot in my mind and I don't think it's leaving any time soon. I really hope the film arrives sooner rather than later.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:12 am

I suspect the unexpected theatrical success in Japan is delaying every announcement, but it is indeed peculiar to not have any official indication of how the movie will be distributed out of Japan 6 weeks after it released.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:36 am

View Original Postbaldur wrote:sigh
still no news about 3.0+1.0, huh..?

:shinchair:

I hate to sound apathetic to the whole ordeal, but it's only been about 1.5 months since the Japanese premiere. What we're finding irritating is that this is par for the course, and that no one is innovating the international distribution methods in light of Evangelion or Covid-19. Movies in the US now get a physical home video release two months after the theatrical premiere. Time will tell if Khara/Toho/Toei does something similar, but the fact that Japanese studios can own their own theaters gives me doubt.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:14 am

baldur wrote:I know I should probably just forget about it for now and focus my attention elsewhere

That's the best way to go about waiting for the film.
I don't know when or how the film will reach audiences outside Japan but I'm feeling positive that once an announcement is made there won't be a long wait.

baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:17 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:I hate to sound apathetic to the whole ordeal, but it's only been about 1.5 months since the Japanese premiere. What we're finding irritating is that this is par for the course, and that no one is innovating the international distribution methods in light of Evangelion or Covid-19.

No, of course, I don't mean to sound entitled or anything. Mostly it's a personal issue, I just really wish I could see the film and felt like venting my frustrations a bit.

13thangel
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby 13thangel » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:23 am

on the bright side i’m actually surprised on how little amount of spoilers i’ve encountered since release, I actually don’t think i’ve seen any whatsoever. AOT on the other hand is almost impossible to avoid

baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:33 pm

View Original Post13thangel wrote:on the bright side i’m actually surprised on how little amount of spoilers i’ve encountered since release, I actually don’t think i’ve seen any whatsoever.

Same. The closest thing to a spoiler that I've seen was one detail about the story structure that was discussed on here that doesn't even concretely spoil anything in terms of plot. Actually, come to think of it, I was also spoiled on one aspect of a relationship between two characters, but I don't think it's too major. Still wish I hadn't seen those, but for how anticipated this film is for me I'm very happy with how I've managed to avoid information on it so far.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:39 pm

View Original Postbaldur wrote:
View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever#920786 wrote:I hate to sound apathetic to the whole ordeal, but it's only been about 1.5 months since the Japanese premiere. What we're finding irritating is that this is par for the course, and that no one is innovating the international distribution methods in light of Evangelion or Covid-19.

No, of course, I don't mean to sound entitled or anything. Mostly it's a personal issue, I just really wish I could see the film and felt like venting my frustrations a bit.

lol, I know what you mean, man. If you haven't seen SSSS Gridman, I recommend you watch it. If you have seen SSSS Gridman, watch it again. That shit's great! Along with SSSS Gridman, I've been watching through Sailor Moon. I've never actually seen the show before, so this is all new to me. I'm really digging it.

Maybe there's some other acclaimed anime you haven't seen yet that'll keep you busy until international launch date for Shin Eva.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”