Loop Theory (I Really was born to meet you)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Loop Theory (I Really was born to meet you)

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:59 am

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:I've never heard the theory that Shinji is Adam's incarnate.

That said, we don't know if Shinji is aware about star's motion or not. Also, star's motion doesn't change the stars we see, right
The 4 Adams = 4 pilots theory got bandied about enough that I was aware of it, despite an utter lack of interest in the exercise in pareidolia that was Rebuild lorewanking.

As to the motions of the stars; the first example I found on the internets is here -- https://www.wired.com/2015/03/gifs-show ... 000-years/
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby Blockio » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:41 pm

Considering that quite a few of the predictions in said theory have been in Shin, I'd call it a bit more than "Rebuild lorewanking"
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Whitetiger739
Embryo

Postby Whitetiger739 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:58 pm

IDK if this camrip screenshot legit or not since I recently got it from reddit. Anyway, the screenshot reveals the unlimited amount of Kaworu's coffins on the moon in Shin Eva compare to the 9 coffins that we saw in 1.0.
SPOILER: Show
Oh shoot, what time is it? Heading back to Nerv-2 in Nevada ASAP!

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Konja7 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:18 pm

View Original PostWhitetiger739 wrote:IDK if this camrip screenshot legit or not since I recently got it from reddit. Anyway, the screenshot reveals the unlimited amount of Kaworu's coffins on the moon in Shin Eva compare to the 9 coffins that we saw in 1.0.

I read about a scene like this, so it should be real.

It is an moment in the Instrumentality, so it should be a symbolic moment.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:47 pm

View Original PostWhitetiger739 wrote:IDK if this camrip screenshot legit or not since I recently got it from reddit. Anyway, the screenshot reveals the unlimited amount of Kaworu's coffins on the moon in Shin Eva compare to the 9 coffins that we saw in 1.0.

Can confirm, this is legit and this is Kaworu talking about his relationship with Shinji (though the exact dialogue is eluding me at the moment...)

Huagh
Adam

Postby Huagh » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:14 pm

View Original PostWhitetiger739 wrote:IDK if this camrip screenshot legit or not since I recently got it from reddit.

It is. There are leaked pics of Kaworu looking at the other side of the opened coffins, as well as leaked pictures of him crying on 4chan right now.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:58 am

This is the "looking the other way" frame mentioned

Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:00 am

So if i'm looking at this right, the coffins all seem to be laid down in a circle?
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:01 am

Yep, wheels within wheels, loops within loops.

DantesInferno
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby DantesInferno » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:16 am

The coffins are on top of the blood stain, meaning they were placed after it?

Also, can any one make out what the red marks are on the lids of the unopened coffins are? Seele's mark? Nerv's? A hex glyph? Something entirely different?

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:I read about a scene like this, so it should be real.

It is an moment in the Instrumentality, so it should be a symbolic moment.

I saw it in the theater (twice), it is real. It does happen during instrumentality, but the way it is so consistent with what we've seen in actual scenes of the previous films suggests that it is an actual memory, not an imagined symbolism.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Konja7 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:36 am

View Original PostDantesInferno wrote:I saw it in the theater (twice), it is real. It does happen during instrumentality, but the way it is so consistent with what we've seen in actual scenes of the previous films suggests that it is an actual memory, not an imagined symbolism.

Thanks for the clarifications.

So, that means we only see some of these coffins in Jo.

CharPenPen
Embryo

Postby CharPenPen » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:04 am

Honestly I think it's hilarious that loop theory ended up being at least somewhat correct

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:21 pm

But I don't think a single loop theorist got how limited its application would be.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

CharPenPen
Embryo

Postby CharPenPen » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:23 pm

If kaworu is looping that would suggest the whole setting is. We just don't know what the timeframe entails. Doesn't seem that limited.

WILLE_Coyote
Embryo

Postby WILLE_Coyote » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:27 pm

I'd be really annoyed if NTE's universe straight up overwrote NGE/EOE's, personally (unless there were thousands of years in between or something, but I'm not sure I buy the idea that it's been that long for Kaworu). I think it'd devalue One More Final's resolution in every way.
"Unfortunately, we quickly forget the lessons we learned. And then we have to learn them all over again." - Jet Black, Cowboy Bebop

CharPenPen
Embryo

Postby CharPenPen » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:37 pm

View Original PostWILLE_Coyote wrote:I'd be really annoyed if NTE's universe straight up overwrote NGE/EOE's, personally (unless there were thousands of years in between or something, but I'm not sure I buy the idea that it's been that long for Kaworu). I think it'd devalue One More Final's resolution in every way.

I'm not sure it has to be that literal. Maybe Kaworu has experienced a series of timelines, some of which are similar to the original, but not literally the original. Maybe it's a devilman / Ideon situation where the universe repeats over the course of billions of years, but Kaworu is zapped right to the significant point in the timeline as soon as he dies.

It's intentionally ambiguous. What's clear is these films were always implying a loop/sequel situation through Kaworu's dialogue, and they gave that concept some pay off in the final film. Exactly how that loop functions is up to you, and it's really more a way for the films to express themes of reiteration than anything else.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Konja7 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:51 pm

View Original PostWILLE_Coyote wrote:I'd be really annoyed if NTE's universe straight up overwrote NGE/EOE's, personally (unless there were thousands of years in between or something, but I'm not sure I buy the idea that it's been that long for Kaworu). I think it'd devalue One More Final's resolution in every way.

In the current timeline, it seems Kaworu was born in Jo. That means, he is only 14 years for Q.

I suspect every previous lifetime for Kaworu were pretty short too.

WILLE_Coyote
Embryo

Postby WILLE_Coyote » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:06 pm

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:
View Original PostWILLE_Coyote#920358 wrote:I'd be really annoyed if NTE's universe straight up overwrote NGE/EOE's, personally (unless there were thousands of years in between or something, but I'm not sure I buy the idea that it's been that long for Kaworu). I think it'd devalue One More Final's resolution in every way.

In the current timeline, it seems Kaworu was born in Jo. That means, he is only 14 years for Q.

I suspect every previous lifetime for Kaworu were pretty short too.

I was thinking more along the lines of Kaworu being a kind of Adam figure in the natural loop theory, but I suppose you're right if he isn't.

Edit: It's pretty clear Kaworu is supposed to be the same character from NGE, regardless of how the rest of the timeline works. A multiverse would be my preference (the idea that the EVA universe has been reborn 5 times over totalling billions of years is a little much IMO), but who knows.
"Unfortunately, we quickly forget the lessons we learned. And then we have to learn them all over again." - Jet Black, Cowboy Bebop

Xiel
Lilith

Postby Xiel » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:02 am

I'll drop my 2cents here.
I don't think the coffin represents a multiuniverse because they are visible and tangible simultaneously on a particular timeline. Also, if they were meant to represent multiple universes, there wouldn't be one coffin opening at a time, all would be closed or opened because it would happen simultaneously. Instead, the lined up indicates a sequence (a circular one with Shin Eva) of a cyclic story that repeats and repeats.

Also, in Shin Eva when Kaworu told him they met many times in the past. Shinji replies "Yeah, I remember now. We've met many times here" while indicating the lakeshore with the headless statue (NGE). So Shinji is the same Shinji, since Kaworu specifically met him due to this Book of Vagueness after their first meeting.

As what this means about being a sequel or not. Who knows. I would rather not, in a strict sense (I'm fine to think NTE as a spiritual sequel), but I can't say for sure. I hope Anno will clarify things about this in next CRC. Aside from the things mentioned above and all the vague winks and implications in previous movies, is that Kaworu calls Instrumentality the "origin of the Cycle." :|
"If you want to live well, you have to change and try new things."

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:34 am

View Original PostXiel wrote:Aside from the things mentioned above and all the vague winks and implications in previous movies, is that Kaworu calls Instrumentality the "origin of the Cycle." :|

I don't see that line anywhere in the subs pulled from the app. Do you remember when any mention is made to this?

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”