Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

The Yu-Gi-Oh! Series

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:32 am

I’m not sure if anyone made a thread on this before, but I thought I take a crack at it.

So I’ve been into the series since the 6th grade. I remember getting some cards and watching the show, and how I was so into it. I also remember buying the manga series before the Duel Kingdom arc, that season 0 was based on. I always wonder how the other series would have been like if it continued how season 0 was.

My top favorite would be the original(DM) and 5D’s, and GX is pretty good too. I haven’t seen much of Zexal or Arc V, or Vrains even and that new one. I was wholly invested in the characters. Kaiba can be a bit of dick, but he is one hell of a duelist, and the Blue Eyes archetype is pretty awesome. 5D’s, in my opinion, had the best cast of characters, especially two in particular. Aside from the card game and some of the rather interesting plot, I’m also interested in some of the possible romantic relationships between the main protagonists and the female leads, Yugi x Tea and Yusei x Akiza are my top two favorite. And yes, I know Yugioh isn’t entirely focused on romance, and the ships are usually one sided and never became canon, despite some of the hints. The Dark Side of Dimensions is also a pretty good film and gave Duel Monsters a nice closure. Made me wish they would do the same for 5D’s as some sort of anniversary film or something.

Some of the games I’ve played were the Dawn of Destiny, a few of the Tag Force series, Reverse of Arcadia, Legacy of the Duelist, and Duel Links. I really like the Blue Eyes support and Red Eyes is also my favorite. And there also some pretty decks out there too.
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: The Yu-Gi-Oh! Series

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:20 pm

Just curious have they brought this out again uncut, like Sailor Moon which I heard was redone and re-dubbed? As I heard the darker themes were cut from some from YGO in the 4kids release, and I'm curious as to how different the uncut version is.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:58 pm

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:Just curious have they brought this out again uncut, like Sailor Moon which I heard was redone and re-dubbed? As I heard the darker themes were cut from some from YGO in the 4kids release, and I'm curious as to how different the uncut version is.

Well, when I saw 5D’s( the subbed before the dub), there were many things that were cut out or edited

SPOILER: Show
When Misty Tredwell’s brother Toby joined the Arcadia Movement, Sayer conducted an experiment for Psychic Duelests on him, but it was too much for him. So Sayer ordered the voltage increased which resulted in killing Toby. In the 4kids dubbed, he was merely relocated. All the death scenes were cut out or changed drastically, like the infamous finger gun in the original series. Akiza also had her cleavage edited out for obvious reasons. And the names were much different compared to the original Japanese audio.

As for an uncut edition, no, there hasn’t been one, as much as I would like them to be. I find those censorship quite unnecessary. It’s a teen show, as well as for some adults to enjoy, they should keep all the juicy stuff. Also, the card formats were more different.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:05 am

I need to re-watch the series.

When I was a kid my favorite characters of the series were Mako (sea deck) & Bandit Keith (machine deck)
SPOILER: Show
ImageImage

I kinda projected more sympathetic-ness onto Keith than the creators probably intended (I really didn't like him being possessed and potentially driven insane at the time), I can see now that he is a corrupt ugly American caricature but I still really like his machine deck and a few other specific elements of his character.

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:17 pm

There’s something I’ve been wondering about Yugioh in general, why are all main ships just one sided.

In each of the series, there is the lead female protagonist who has some romantic feelings for the main protagonist. But often times, the main male protagonists are more or less oblivious to that and are more interested in dueling, or just don’t have the time for romance. There are times where they came pretty close, but none of them have ever been officially confirmed.

I mean, it’s nice that the guy gets the girl, even though it’s not part of the main plot.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:40 pm

Today marks the very first time I have seen the first episode of the main series and before that, I had negative opinions about the show. I didn't want to watch something that might've been advertised as Pokemon but with cards. And now that I have seen this debut episode, I have to say I misjudged the show too harshly, it was just as exciting as any match in Pokemon and I would consider it an honor and a pleasure to see more episodes of this.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Return to “Anime and Manga”