The Macross Legacy Thread (Incl. +/DYRL/Zero/Seven/Frontier/Δ)

Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Re: The Macross Legacy Thread (Incl. +/DYRL/Zero/Seven/Frontier/Δ)

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:50 am

View Original Postcyharding wrote:So my question is, why are the fans treating this as practically the end of the world? I mean, the original show is easily acessable these days.

"Accessible" might as well HG's own heavy edits and inserts instead of as originally aired in Japan. For most it feels like the end of the world because with HG and damn Tatsunoko cockblocking it further and wanting to keep it a cash cow while distorting the facts, this consortium prevented fans from obtaining legitimate and licensed copies of the saga on a worldwide scale -- they're becoming older (now in their 40s and 50s), getting tired of trying to put up with fansubs when they want the real deal, uncut and unblemished, on a Blu-Ray, and earnings and recognition go to the original and legitimate Japanese creators and producers. It's still pure injustice, a blatant land grab.

It's a terrible, long story of what is one of the worst intellectual property rights complication in anime history; see under entry "M" in this page:

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ ... meAndManga

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:58 pm

Well, it's been a long time coming but I finally got to watch the seventh episode of Macross Frontier! :D

THIS is why I watch Macross for the most part, for the sorties in the Valkyries and they did not disappoint. The fact that it was taking place during a Sheryl Nome concert didn't distract at all and the visuals from the concert as well as the combat in outer space are both stellar in performance. If I can only nitpick just a little, Catherine Glass is probably the most annoying of the Bridge personnel seeing how she keeps complaining about everything going on, and I thought Sheryl's prima donna attitude in the first episode made her the queen of annoyances! :facepalm:
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:43 am

View Original PostGus Hanson wrote:Well, it's been a long time coming but I finally got to watch the seventh episode of Macross Frontier! :D

THIS is why I watch Macross for the most part, for the sorties in the Valkyries and they did not disappoint. The fact that it was taking place during a Sheryl Nome concert didn't distract at all and the visuals from the concert as well as the combat in outer space are both stellar in performance. If I can only nitpick just a little, Catherine Glass is probably the most annoying of the Bridge personnel seeing how she keeps complaining about everything going on, and I thought Sheryl's prima donna attitude in the first episode made her the queen of annoyances! :facepalm:

The combination of music and action is only going to get better the further you get into the series. It's one of the things Frontier does best.

As for annoying characters, I remember from the time I watched it (in the short period fan-subbed episodes were available on Youtube and they were playing whack-a-mole with the uploaders :D ) that I personally thought Sheryl was the most annoying one, while others got fed up with Ranka...
The singularity is the rapture for nerds, dude. It's not going to happen. - Chuckman

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:54 pm

I will just say this for those of you who watched Macross Delta the television version and came out unsatisfied: Do what I just did and sit through the Passionate Walkure compilation movie. You won't be disappointed! ^_^

Let me elaborate for those curious of what I experienced:

Freyja and her relationship with Hayate takes up nearly 100 percent of any main romances, Mirage is really more of a compatriot than a rival. Messer is given the sendoff we all wished for in the series in which he gets to be by Kaname's side when he passes away. Mikumo still has that Mary Sue quality about her but isn't given much time to gloat over it seeing this is a 2 hour movie so more sympathy is felt for when she and Walkure is kidnapped and Roid tries to use her to mind control the entire galaxy. Seeing the film's end be Messer's jellyfish funeral with "Giraffe Blues" being sung was a bonafide way to cap off the compilation. If there is anything worth nitpicking about would be Freyja's debut concert, the mixture of 3D with 2D animation didn't blend in well but that's only for this scene alone. Overall, I give it a 8/10!
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:58 pm

A little while ago, I watched the eighth episode of Frontier and I have to say this is so far my favorite episode. I haven't laughed so genuinely in a long time over the sequence of events that took place. The beginning with Ranka singing as the carrot girl in front of a store with that catchy little jingle, Ozma implying Cathy has wrinkles and her double checking her mirror when he leaves, to the highlight humor of Ai-kun running off with Sheryl's panties and the resulting chase the entire school body does just to get their dirty hands on it :devil: , it's pure comedic gold! :lol:

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:43 pm

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:21 pm

My review of Macross Plus episode 3 and the feel of the OVA vs. movie in general:

I thoroughly enjoyed this more gritty take on Macross versus the usual otaku wet dream fap material that 7, Frontier, or Delta would give me both in terms of character design and writing. As for the OVA's continuity versus the film compilation continuity, I would say that I now prefer the OVA version not just because it has a superior English dub (Yes, even Myung's VA doesn't get on my nerves) but also because there's more detail in story and it knows when to stop a thread like the scene where Isamu and Yang escape Eden in the YF-19 and back on the base, Millard simply says he'll take responsibility about the civilian onboard. The scene in the film version with Lucy and Millard afterwards where he says he used to steal planes all the time when younger and the chiefs would cover up for him now when I think about it I feel is somewhat unnecessary due to him already saying he's gonna take responsibility for the incident in the earlier scene. I do understand that the point of that scene was to bring out the point that Isamu should fly to his heart's desire but Sharon declares that to Myung in the final episode so it's kind of moot, right? Any feedback on these points is accepted.

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:25 pm

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:14 pm

Hell has frozen over.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:34 pm

View Original PostThe Killer of Heroes wrote:https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/macross-sequels-and-films-to-be-released-worldwide-by-big-west-and-harmony-gold-exclusive/

FINALLY. Why the Macross/Robotech distributors decided to hold off on releasing the sequels to the most famous series they have licensed is beyond me. Such a cornerstone of both Japanese and US anime fandom deserves to be treated better, and I'm glad they finally realized that there are practically no downsides to just releasing the rest of the franchise.

Now the question is, will there be dubs? From what I understand, DYRL, Lovers Again, and Plus have all been dubbed by Animaxx in southeast Asia, but Animaxx's dubs are typically low quality from what I understand. There are exceptions, though - their Cardcaptor Sakura dub was good enough to be used for the Funimation Blu-ray release - so they might end up using those dubs. Either way, this is still great news.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:53 pm

Hallelujah! I do wonder if this means that the original Macross tv series that had received an ADV Films dub in 2006 will now be redubbed by Funimation or whoever gets the dubbing rights. Of course, this would mean that you know who would no longer be Hikaru (good riddance if you likely know the full story of him by now) and probably Mari Iijima will once again be used for singing parts but not the speaking role of Minmay. Personally, I always felt Matt Greenfield's reason of wanting to use her as Minmay in the dub was merely nostalgia based and not really to establish different accents among people. :irked:

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:25 pm

View Original PostGus Hanson wrote:Of course, this would mean that you know who would no longer be Hikaru (good riddance if you likely know the full story of him by now) and probably Mari Iijima will once again be used for singing parts but not the speaking role of Minmay. Personally, I always felt Matt Greenfield's reason of wanting to use her as Minmay in the dub was merely nostalgia based and not really to establish different accents among people. :irked:

Come on, Vic’s not really a bad person. The accusations against him were obviously trumped-up by Funi higher-ups as an excuse to get rid of him, and they don’t hold up to any sort of serious scrutiny. The dude has had it rough enough, he doesn’t need damnatio memoriae of all his previous roles to go along with it.

I do agree with your opinion on using the Japanese VA for Minmay, though. It seems like a nice idea on the surface, but in practice it was just a hilariously awkward reminder of why English dubs aren’t done by the original Japanese VAs. And while they’re at it, they should probably redub the songs, too: the audio from 1982 clashed horribly with the audio from 2005 in the ADV dub.

But if I were a betting person, I’d probably say that Harmony Gold will keep the ADV dub of the original series, and possibly the southeast Asian dubs of the franchise up until Plus as well. Dubs are expensive, and the need to dub every anime they licensed is exactly what drove ADV into the ground. So when there are already uncut dubs of 3 series and 1 movie, just waiting to be used, it would make sense from a business perspective to use them.

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:55 am

I wish this tangent was a borderline that remained ikenai tbh. Really we are not the people to litigate this.

I hope this news means the new Delta movie gets a timely international release too. I really enjoyed the show and the first movie, perhaps more than most people.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:07 pm

I wonder what this means for non anime Macross properties such as video games or manga such as Haruhiko Mikimoto's take on the original show.

Now, i have a question for you fans of the show. I don't have too much experience with the franchise, but I do have some interest in it as a kid I was really into Robotech (at least that's what one of my older brother said as I was around 4 or 5 when the show aired on TV) and the fact that I did watch DYRL and I liked it. My question is when theses shows come on a streaming service of some sort (as outside of DYRL, I don't think I'll be buying home releases of the franchise), outside of the original series what are the good ones and what are the bad ones? I would appreciate everyone's opinion.

One more thing. Here is a a short comic from some animator, I forget his name, detailing his time working on DYRL.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:50 pm

Since they mentioned purely sequels being brought westside, I wonder what that means for Zero which as we all know is a prequel and the last time I saw it was when it first came out.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:48 pm

Whatever your feelings on it as a series, you got to admit this was always the strongest of the trio:
https://www.rightstufanime.com/Robotech ... ga-Blu-ray

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:31 am

View Original PostGus Hanson wrote:Whatever your feelings on it as a series, you got to admit this was always the strongest of the trio:
https://www.rightstufanime.com/Robotech ... ga-Blu-ray
Does this have the uh, "Macross" version of Macross?

Like I'll buy it if I get the original version of the Macross with it too.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:02 pm

AFAIK, this is a Robotech Blu Ray covering the Macross saga.

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:49 pm

View Original PostGus Hanson wrote:AFAIK, this is a Robotech Blu Ray covering the Macross saga.
If it's only "Robotech" version after all, then frankly wars have been started over lesser crimes against humanity.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:15 pm

I am still confused to this day as to what made Guld snap on Isamu and Myung to set off the feud between the three of them in Macross Plus. According to the limited black and white images in Guld's memory as he was trying to finish Isamu off in the final duel between them, seems like Myung chose Isamu over Guld but somebody (I can't remember who) said that they had sexual congress as well which really pissed Guld off so he went full loco on the two. Any help on clearing up that rumor is highly appreciated.

Return to “Anime and Manga”