Waiting for Evangelion:3.0+1.0

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Re: Waiting for Evangelion:3.0+1.0

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:21 pm

I mean, there was that public statement from Anno that Eva Q had crushed his soul, and the announcement of his Shin Godzilla movie a few years prior to that.

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:30 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:I mean, there was that public statement from Anno that Eva Q had crushed his soul, and the announcement of his Shin Godzilla movie a few years prior to that.

That requires a lot of inference and assumption to piece together something that they really should’ve just been clear and upfront about. If you don’t actively follow Eva news (which I didn’t at the time) this isn’t something you’re going to pick up on.

A headline in 2013-2014 “Eva 3.0+1.0 on hiatus until further notice” followed by another one in 2017 “Khara officially kicks off production on Eva 3.0+1.0” would’ve done a lot to quell people’s worries about the project, especially when the prevailing belief among casual fans (e.g. most of the general audience) is still that the movie was actively being worked on for 9 whole years.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:09 pm

To me, the main thing is: if you get asked to do a Godzilla movie, you do the Godzilla movie, even if you need to put other stuff on hiatus. The opportunity to make Shin Godzilla may have never come again, so I don't blame him for jumping on it.

baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:26 pm

View Original PostJuanSorel wrote:Meanwhile...

SPOILER: Show

Oh god, dude, don't remind me.

:shinchair:

i'm still waiting...

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:09 pm

View Original PostKireek wrote:Taking 13/14 years to release 4 films is a joke, though feel free to disagree with me.

The series is complete, so why make this an issue now?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:56 pm

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:The opportunity to make Shin Godzilla may have never come again, so I don't blame him for jumping on it.

And it ended up working in everyone's favor:
1. Anno finally regained his filmmaking mojo and finished Shin Eva. Now he has two critically and financially succesful films in a row with two more forthcoming hotly-anticipated films he written (Shin Ultraman) and directed (Shin Kamen Rider).

2. Godzilla becomes extremely popular again in Japan. Not saying it wasn't before, but its popularity was clearly declining in the 21st century that not even Legendary's Godzilla did much of a splash in terms of cultural impact like Shin did. Now Shin IS the franchise's poster boy in its home country.

View Original PostJuanSorel wrote:Meanwhile...
SPOILER: Show

LOL I still remember importing the ASOIAF boxset in 2012, it wasn't translated to Indonesian back then so I had to use nearly a year worth of saving to get that bad boy (I was still a high schooler) thinking it won't be long until Winter comes out. Oh, how wrong I was.
Last edited by GhostlyOcam on Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:02 pm

View Original PostArcher wrote:
View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever#919601 wrote:I mean, there was that public statement from Anno that Eva Q had crushed his soul, and the announcement of his Shin Godzilla movie a few years prior to that.

That requires a lot of inference and assumption to piece together something that they really should’ve just been clear and upfront about. If you don’t actively follow Eva news (which I didn’t at the time) this isn’t something you’re going to pick up on.

I guess. I do wonder if this is one of things that was more apparent to the Japanese audiences. I mean, Khara's international news on a worldwide release of Shin Eva has been non-existent so far. Imagine what their other news updates are like for us foreign folk. Not being in Japan, we kinda have to go out of our way to learn this stuff about the series.

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:31 pm

As someone who avoids Twitter like the plague, all my anime news comes from people posting headlines on Reddit (not claiming that Reddit is much better... but hey, at least it’s not Twitter). If it’s not a big headline that would’ve been reported by Western anime news sites, it’s not something I would’ve seen.

I imagine it’s similar on the Japanese side: unless you’re a dedicated fan who’s actively seeking out news about everything Anno, Khara and Eva-related, you’re probably not going to pick up enough through information osmosis (and you’re probably not thinking about Shin Eva enough) to put the pieces together. You’re only going to hear the really big announcements like “Shin Eva delayed for the nth time” or, hypothetically, “Shin Eva put on indefinite hiatus til Anno feels ready to work on it again”.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:38 am

It's not the creators fault if "anime journalism" is trash. Also most anime fans are what I define as "stupid" anyway so who cares about what they think really.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:03 am

So, my chance finally ran out and I got spoiled in a general fanart thread in an unrelated forum, and what I learned made me break I checked the content of Shin, so you won't see me much more around this part of the forum for the time being.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:07 am

We will honour your sacrifice, see you on the other side

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:43 am

I feel like I’m at the point where I’m just gonna forget about Eva and check this forum once a week to see if it’s dropped yet. Now that April’s come and an “immediate” streaming release seems to have been a pipe dream, thinking about it will only lead to more temptation... lol

CharPenPen
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby CharPenPen » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:16 am

View Original PostArcher wrote:the prevailing belief among casual fans (e.g. most of the general audience) is still that the movie was actively being worked on for 9 whole years.

Whoooooa, do people really think this??

Folks really don't know how film production works ^^;

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:01 am

I guess this is the same group of people that thought Kingdom hearts 3 took 14 years to make etc.

I don't really care if people don't do their research on these matters, there's more important things in life. It just bothers me when that group spreads misinformation based on their own ignorance.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

bobgoesw00t
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby bobgoesw00t » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:13 pm

View Original PostCharPenPen wrote:
View Original PostArcher#919602 wrote:the prevailing belief among casual fans (e.g. most of the general audience) is still that the movie was actively being worked on for 9 whole years.

Whoooooa, do people really think this??

Folks really don't know how film production works ^^;

They obviously weren't working on the movie for the whole nine years cause that would be insanity! I personally think when all of the promotional touring and what not for Shin Godzilla finished, Khara started getting everything organized so they could start work on 3.0+1.0 at a moments notice but I could be wrong. Really looking forward to Shin Kamen Rider while we're still on that topic to an extent :D
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:35 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:So, my chance finally ran out and I got spoiled in a general fanart thread in an unrelated forum, and what I learned made me break I checked the content of Shin, so you won't see me much more around this part of the forum for the time being.

See you on the other side.

o>

MrNobody39
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MrNobody39 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:46 am

This might ve a very very light spoiler but it was shown on some trailers before

Is this a fanart or a real game?

Answer: Fan-art, also 3.0+1.0  SPOILER: Show

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:06 am

As edited into the post, it's fan-art, also a 3.0+1.0 spoiler.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:19 am

As of today, Shin Eva has finished its run on IMAX and 4D screens in most theater chains. There's a big round of applause after the very last IMAX screening on Grand Cinema Sunshine tonight, khara nigouki was there among the audience so she was surprised and delighted to witness that.
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

Raikyu
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Raikyu » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:29 am

View Original PostGhostlyOcam wrote:As of today, Shin Eva has finished its run on IMAX and 4D screens in most theater chains. There's a big round of applause after the very last IMAX screening on Grand Cinema Sunshine tonight, khara nigouki was there among the audience so she was surprised and delighted to witness that.

In Japan, the movie finished its run on IMAX, while in the West it hasn't even started, in any format :penpen_cry:

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”