Amazon Prime Video release

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
The Dragon Mask
Lilith

Re: Amazon Prime Video release

•      
  •      

Postby The Dragon Mask » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:29 am

I do want this to get back on track, but will simply say it is too bad that indeed the lamer aspects of Xenoblade 2 were indeed misrepresented, misinterpreted, and misapplied retroactively to the previous entries in the series (and overall Xeno meta-series as well). Xenoblade 2 even is not as anywhere close to as perverted as some people make it out, though I do think they made some poor choices in a few areas.

Xenoblade 1 in particular is usuly considered the best, but I actually like the story of 2 better for some reason haha. I think I just connected to it more. Either way, there's real depth there, even if it is generally a simplified take on what they already mostly covered in Xenogears and Xenosaga (themselves also basically riffing on Evangelion itself in many ways).

Man, I really wish I had the time to get around to the Gears and Saga games, even though I basically know their plots it's not the same.

In any case, that news about the Italian voice actor for Gendo does inspire a bit more hope in me. We'll see how it turns out, but I'm not keeping my hopes up for a release sooner than July. Maybe we'll get a western theatrical release before Amazon Prime, I don't know!

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:17 am

Fun fact: Unless IMDB is missing data (which is entirely possible), the international release of Evangelion 3.0 didn't start until the day the movie became available on Blu-ray in Japan (April 24, 2013).

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0860907/releaseinfo?ref_=tt_dt_dt

That might explain why that film was released on physical media much faster than the first two films.

And THAT'S when I expect any of this "Amazon Amazon" talk will come true. I could still see it maybe running in some theaters around the world before then but if any of this Amazon talk is true the day the film is available for purchase in Japan is when I expect it to be available on streaming.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:16 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Fun fact: Unless IMDB is missing data (which is entirely possible), the international release of Evangelion 3.0 didn't start until the day the movie became available on Blu-ray in Japan (April 24, 2013).

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0860907/releaseinfo?ref_=tt_dt_dt

That might explain why that film was released on physical media much faster than the first two films.

And THAT'S when I expect any of this "Amazon Amazon" talk will come true. I could still see it maybe running in some theaters around the world before then but if any of this Amazon talk is true the day the film is available for purchase in Japan is when I expect it to be available on streaming.

I checked in Wikipedia, and indeed the first international release was in South Korea in April 2013, same month as the Japanese BR release.
If we follow the same gap between Japanese theater release and international release (going side-by-side with Japanese DVD and BR release), then that means that we could get Shin in the international marked in August.

Of course, there's still all the possible speculation brought by the rise of streaming services since 2012, the pandemic that might chance things and the precedent of the Demon Slayer movie having a release in the rest of Asia very soon after the Japanese release (two weeks later for Taiwan) but Demon Slayer is is considerably more popular internationally than Evangelion, so it's not really a good basis for speculation (and even then the West had to wait five months to get its theater release)
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

bobgoesw00t
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby bobgoesw00t » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:44 pm

View Original PostXenoblade wrote:If you're waiting for Eva, Xenoblade is your friend.

I ended up getting Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Remastered as it’s been on my list of games to play, I haven’t played it in FOREVER and it was on sale xD
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:59 am

Dynit, the publisher here in Italy of the previous 3 movies and the NGE Blu Ray box, just confirmed a big international licensor owns the rights for Shin so the movie won’t be getting a home video release here until the holdback expires.

Zethus Thorne
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Zethus Thorne » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:06 am

How long will Holdbacks expire?

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:59 am

That's great, but is it possible you can post your sources directly?

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:13 am

https://www.twitch.tv/animeclickit

A few hours ago, I don’t know how to timestamp a live and how long it will stay there.

Zethus Thorne
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Zethus Thorne » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:01 am

I'm guessing it was Amazon, knowing that Netflix would snatch it up since their Anime Portfolio is quite big. Also, Amazon could release 1.11, 2.22 and 3.333 Internationally.

Kireek
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kireek » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:51 am

View Original PostZethus Thorne wrote:How long will Holdbacks expire?

Anyone know the answer to this.

Hooded_Omar
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hooded_Omar » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:56 am

I mean, assuming it is Amazon, probably not for a long time.

JuanSorel
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby JuanSorel » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:14 pm

View Original PostKireek wrote:
View Original PostZethus Thorne#919781 wrote:How long will Holdbacks expire?

Anyone know the answer to this.

It depends on the negotiation. Sorry, but there is no clear answer to this.

FullMetalBiscuit
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FullMetalBiscuit » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:44 pm

Pretty much confirmation of something we already knew, someone has the rights to release it, but doesn't really tell us much else.

yungtophuc
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby yungtophuc » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:38 am

Hey guys i am from germany and i have new information about shin eva. We have a big anime news youtuber here in germany who is very much connected to the industry here in germany and he always gets exclusive information. He tweeted the other day that he would like to report about shin eva but unfortunately he is not allowed to. With this news we know here in Germany that the film is already licensed in Germany and the synchro is also already finished.

this is the translation of the tweet
I could say something about a certain anime movie that fans have been looking forward to for ages. At least since 3.0 + 1.0 years. But I'm not allowed to.

JuanSorel
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby JuanSorel » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:56 am

Thank you for bringing it here, don't get me wrong, but this isn't really new. I read that, same pun included, from a german user on a german forum weeks ago.

Trotzdem, danke schön. Viele hier haben es vielleicht nicht gewusst. :D

Zethus Thorne
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Zethus Thorne » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:31 pm

I'm guessing it's coming to either Amazon Prime or Netflix

Mostly Amazon Prime because Netflix already has a lot of Anime Shows and Movies on their plate this year.

Raikyu
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Raikyu » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:40 pm

Those are really good news. Despite some of us not being from Germany, when a movie comes to a european country, usually it releases in the other european countries too. Sometimes on the same date, other times in one or two weeks later, but is better than nothing.

Xenoblade
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Xenoblade » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:42 pm

About 3.0+1.0, I'll believe it when I see it. I don't see why they'd skip the usual priorities of theatres and Blu-ray disc to go straight to Amazon's service in the west.

I don't see Amazon handing out a fat enough cheque for the first western release. They have their original shows, sure, but they and Netflix fill out their online services by buying a lot of older stuff....NGE and the first three rebuild films fit into that, but 3.0+1.0 doesn't really fit that mould yet.
Don't be.

Raikyu
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Raikyu » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:20 pm

View Original PostXenoblade wrote:About 3.0+1.0, I'll believe it when I see it. I don't see why they'd skip the usual priorities of theatres and Blu-ray disc to go straight to Amazon's service in the west.

I don't see Amazon handing out a fat enough cheque for the first western release. They have their original shows, sure, but they and Netflix fill out their online services by buying a lot of older stuff....NGE and the first three rebuild films fit into that, but 3.0+1.0 doesn't really fit that mould yet.

Despite this thread being about an Amazon release, I interpreted that post as a theatrical release.

JuanSorel
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby JuanSorel » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:33 pm

View Original PostRaikyu wrote:
View Original PostXenoblade#919939 wrote:Despite this thread being about an Amazon release, I interpreted that post as a theatrical release.

That is a radical interpretation of the text indeed.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”