Untranslated Material Compendium

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

Re: Untranslated Material Compendium

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:15 pm

Let me ask you though, are you interested in translating the 3.0+1.0 booklet interviews? Those are the absolute priority right now and not all of them are done. But I'm not sure if you want to avoid them as you presumably haven't seen the movie yet.

Riki
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Riki » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:31 am

Yes I'm interested in translating 3.0 +1.0. I haven't watched the movie yet but it's okay.
Which part is untranslated as of now?

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:03 am

About half, actually. I'd prioritize Tsurumaki or Maeda, since they're directors, then Saaakamoto, who plays Mari. After that it's mostly minor characters, so no real priority. I've sent you a link by PM.

Links to your BMAC (hah) and Patreon have also been added to the EGF Discord. Hopefully some people can help you out.

EDIT: Damn, forgot about Hayashibara, sorry!
Last edited by FelipeFritschF on Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Riki
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Riki » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:07 am

Wow, that's very nice of you. Thank you for supporting me!

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:45 am

What, Saakamoto is the only MC role left?
What of the Hayashibara one? Has it been translated without me noticing?
Don't forget Rei-chan :(
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:33 am

Felipe, I know you left that interview with Neko Oikawa to me, but I am having several private problems and I don't have time (I was inactive yesterday). Riki is more capable than I am to translate it, if you allow and if Rikki is interested of course.

By the way, Riki, thank you for all the translations. :D
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:07 pm

There are a lot of new interviews coming up surround Shin, including very interesting articles. I've had them summarized, but complete translations are called for:

https://trello.com/c/vLlvSTqg/215-septe ... E%E8%AB%87

https://trello.com/c/nHBqTulj/256-march ... 5%E5%B9%B4

https://trello.com/c/RtD70mjp/282-april ... 3%EF%BC%81

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:23 pm

So Miyamura got to provide Asuka's handwriting.

That's always interesting (I think the one on Rei's letter from 2.0 was Anno's own?)

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:07 am

Thanks, Riki!

So Ogata says that Anno said he's going to miss Eva, while in the NHK doc Anno said he has no emotional investment in it whatsoever. I'm becoming convinced that being contradictory is in Anno's nature. That said, it's a bit nice to know he does have some positive feelings for it. It's also cool to see Anno did ask for Ogata's opinions and I love the fact Ogata says the job of an actor is not to act-I've felt for a long time the greatest actors are those with whom you don't see that they're acting because they've disappeared so completely and utterly into their roles that it doesn't seem like you're watching an actor playing a character, but a real person living on the screen.

Why is Ogata named Emi, though? Is it some sort of a nickname?

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:45 am

it prolly depends on Anno's mood and the phases of the moon.

I do love this bit:
but Eva often depicts the spiritual world, and it's not always clear how much of the story is reality. I'm not sure if Shinji really sees everyone off actively or not.

So it's definitely deliberately unclear whether the epilogue happened or whatnot, though she's also talking about the instrumentality sequence & how she isn't sure how much Shinji actively did. A lot of the sequences is certainly taken from their own memories & seeing that with new clarity due to the "instrumentality state".

Her take on the finale of Q is also interesting as she saw it, this was Shinji really trying to take an active role for once but then when it started going wrong he was really just panicked & confused, like, "but I was told this would fix it..."

I did like the philosophical bits about how we first come to properly perceive the world but don't have the "armor" of experience - when we come to full sentience all of us freak out a bit...

Riki
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Riki » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:39 pm

Why is Ogata named Emi, though? Is it some sort of a nickname?

My apologies. Her name is Megumi not Emi.

Thanks a bunch, Zusuchan! The Chinese characters in her name can also be read as Emi, so I believed her name was Emi. You saved me. ^_^ 

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:25 pm

Thanks again. Let me say again that...

Actually, let me give you a suggestion: post your interviews in the Evangelion Discussion forums. Make a new thread for them and just link back to your site and the compendium thread. If it's something about the Rebuilds use that forum, or the 3.0+1.0 subforum in case it's about that, like with this Ogata interview. People are simply far too focused on these forums, and Everything Else Evangelion always was the least read subforum on Evageeks. I'm sure that way you can have more attention and discussion brought over to your translations. People just need to be made aware of them

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:18 pm

I think that it's better to have it all in one place for ease of access
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:34 pm

Thanks again, Riki!
Honestly, this is the best interview that Ogata has given so far. The whole thing was bounded by one theme: Megumi's relationship with Anno. Unlike the other interviews, she wasn't being limited by questions primarily related to Shin. It's more about the big picture this time around.
It's really nice to see her take on voice acting. Likewise, I would never have imagined that the original series had been recorded the way she described it. That doesn't seem like an easy method of handling things and the actors definitely need to have a lot of confidence in the director. Pretty cool!
The last paragraphs were also intriguing. Life is a road guided by our own choices. Sometimes it's weird to think about what would have happened if we had made a different decision in the past, for example. The important thing is to seize the opportunities, I guess.
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:47 pm

Having them all in one place is what the wiki is for. I'm already doing that myself. As it stands, barely anyone is being made aware of what's being translated because it's buried in a discreet thread meant for organization, in the least read subforum of the site. It'd be good to get more discussion, feedback and support going on, but that's only possible if people know what's being translated in the first place.

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:06 am

Riki:I wouldn't say I "saved" you, you're still a good and active translator, which is a lot more than I am!
What do you think about Felipe's suggestion? So far, you've stayed quiet, but it'd be probably be good to hear your opinion-the decision is ultimately yours, of course. You can either keep all the translations in here or make separate threads for each, it's your call to make.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:04 am

I hope this isn't annoying but I'll put it here as well since the translation ppl tend to look here.

Ogata's latest album dropped, complete with this one song she intended to be like an 'unofficial image song' from Shinji's PoV.

I have a mighty need think it would be in the public interest if someone could englishify it.

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:09 pm

Just a request, but could we maybe get a “MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS” in the thread title or something? I’ve definitely seen a little bit more than I wanted to casually browsing this thread.

Riki
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Riki » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:53 pm

View Original PostZusuchan wrote:What do you think about Felipe's suggestion? So far, you've stayed quiet, but it'd be probably be good to hear your opinion-the decision is ultimately yours, of course. You can either keep all the translations in here or make separate threads for each, it's your call to make.

I think I'll keep doing this way. And maybe when I think it's a really interesting interview or an article, I'll make a new thread for it. I'd love people to read what I translate.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”