3.0+1.0 Cinema or straight to DVD?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
AWinters
Shamshel
Shamshel

3.0+1.0 Cinema or straight to DVD?

•      
  •      

Postby AWinters » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:06 pm

Do you think the film will get a worldwide cinematic release?
I assume it's more likely for the USA. Here in the UK I've never known anime movies to get cinema screenings (other than Pokemon and similar mainstream kid's anime).

Did any of the previous 3 movies get cinematic releases outside of Japan?

CharPenPen
Embryo

Re: 3.0+1.0 Cinema or straight to DVD?

•      
  •      

Postby CharPenPen » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:41 pm

Anime screenings are actually very common in the UK, particularly in Scotland. One of 2.0's earliest English language screenings was in Glasgow. 3.0 was also screened several times. The LovesAnime film festival usually shows these movies.

A general, non-festival release tho? No.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:02 pm

IIRC there were some limited releases in Spain and France, but animated films from Japan typically don't get the same kind of worldwide push distribution you'd expect from a major Hollywood studio. None of the previous films got a worldwide release, and they don't tend to make much money from the overseas market either.

I assume once the theatrical run finishes in Japan, a handful of countries that really want the film will get it for some limited screenings in big cities, but probably around the same time as we start to get BD releases.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:05 pm

There is already a thread about this, but the previous 3 movies did get a theatrical release. I didn’t personally see it when they released here but I saw the theatrical trailers.
Last edited by Joseki on Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:06 pm

I’m sure it WILL get an international (Western) release... whether or not it’s before or after the blu-ray (or streaming (:| ) is available though, is another question.

I’d still go see it once in theaters even if I’ve seen a stream/blu-ray rip once already. I still like the “feel” of theaters over watching a movie at home in my TV.

Xenoblade
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Xenoblade » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:47 pm

Every western country is a bit different, but I expect a bit of a theatrical release in general, just like 3.0 had. Maybe the UK has relatively few showings, but some other western countries will have chains that would be ready and willing to give it screens.

Especially as it will likely come west as vaccinations continue, I don't see Khara's western partner(s) foregoing movie theatres entirely all of a sudden.
Don't be.

Pluto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Pluto » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:40 pm

I saw 3.0 in the theatre when I lived in the states. I think I was able to see it because we had a lot more indie movie theatres at the time. I haven't been back to the states since before the pandemic but I think a theatrical release would be contingent upon independent movie theaters being able to distribute it (provided such an infrastructure still exists) or maybe screened at anime conventions (provided there's a normal to go back to so that people can gather). If that's the case, given that the theatrical release of 3.0 occured before the official Blu-Ray release, you might be able to see it early.
Oh, the clock is ticking out

AWinters
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AWinters » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:23 am

Thanks, everyone!
Unfortunately, around most of the UK, there's not a large supply of cinemas between the big name cinemas who wouldn't bother with anime and small independent cinemas who couldn't afford the rights to exclusive pre-DVD release screenings.

Though, I'd be interested to know how this works if anyone knows - like whether cinemas can request rights or if they have to wait for an announcement and where they'd find it.
I'm curious because there's a small independent cinema near me and they're open to requests.

I imagine any cinema screenings will be in a bigger cities if they happen.

CharPenPen
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby CharPenPen » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:00 am

View Original PostAWinters wrote:Though, I'd be interested to know how this works if anyone knows - like whether cinemas can request rights or if they have to wait for an announcement and where they'd find it.
I'm curious because there's a small independent cinema near me and they're open to requests.

I imagine any cinema screenings will be in a bigger cities if they happen.

The film has to have distribution from a major UK distributor basically. Each cinema chain has deals with these distributors. That's basically determines what's being shown at a cineworld or an Odeon (though even those will host film festivals in larger cities like London, Glasgow or Edinburgh). The new Evangelion film will not get major distribution in this way. Only Ghibli films and stuff like dragonball get this kind of distribution, as far as anime goes.

However, international films usually show before gaining mass distribution in film festivals which run usually at smaller art house cinemas (such as the Barbican in London, or the GFT in Glasgow). This was the case for the previous rebuild films.

Writing to an independent cinema would not do a lot. These films still have to be licensed and translated. Just keep an eye out for the LovesAnime festival circuit when lockdown ends, they will almost certainly show it at some point.

Xenoblade
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Xenoblade » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:04 pm

I wouldn't have imagined anime would screen so rarely in the UK, judging from this thread.

The largest cinema chain in Canada (Cineplex) handles anime fairly often, both dubbed and subbed, and definitely screened 3.0 back in 2014. I believe that there's a similar situation in the US too. Not saying every film makes it to lots of individual movie theatres, and it might be a very brief run, but stuff besides Pokemon is shown.

The only thing that gives me pause is that I think this arrangement in North America appears to mostly be something to do with the distributor Funimation...which many have speculated on this forum won't be involved with 3.0+1.0, or the Rebuilds moving forward in general. I imagine alternative arrangements could be made just fine though if there's another sizeable distributor.
Don't be.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:11 pm

View Original PostCharPenPen wrote:
View Original PostAWinters#919376 wrote:Writing to an independent cinema would not do a lot. These films still have to be licensed and translated. Just keep an eye out for the LovesAnime festival circuit when lockdown ends, they will almost certainly show it at some point.

I imagine that independents band together to be able to show things, though. I saw The Tale of Princess Kaguya at one indy venue in Oxford (they had alternating sub and dub days), and A Silent Voice, sub only, at another, also in Oxford.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:33 pm

Anime theater release is almost non-existent, which is surprising seeing how manga and anime is popular here and with the almost fetish of Japanese culture in France.
The only animes that get a theatrical release are the Ghiblis, and lately Makoto Shinkai's movies. The Jo Ha Q marathon that I've seen in Paris 8 years ago were the only theatrical showing in France.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

CharPenPen
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby CharPenPen » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:43 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:
View Original PostCharPenPen#919378 wrote:

I imagine that independents band together to be able to show things, though. I saw The Tale of Princess Kaguya at one indy venue in Oxford (they had alternating sub and dub days), and A Silent Voice, sub only, at another, also in Oxford.

That wasn't so much a case of independents banding together: Silent Voice got a series of showings in smaller cinemas when Anime Limited got the license. They do this with a lot of theatrical anime productions. I wouldn't be surprised if something similar happens with the new Eva. It's easy to miss but OP is mistaken, there's quite a lot of anime theatrical runs each year in the U.K.

Incidentally, a lot of what we consider theatrical anime productions in Japan operate in this same way. They have what's called "Roadshows", where they show for short periods of time in different Japanese towns and cities across the year.

Raikyu
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Raikyu » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:56 pm

What about that tweet by one of the producers (I think it was Maeda, not sure) about a release in western cinemas soon?

Zethus Thorne
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Zethus Thorne » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:54 pm

View Original PostRaikyu wrote:What about that tweet by one of the producers (I think it was Maeda, not sure) about a release in western cinemas soon?

When was that?

Raikyu
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Raikyu » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:06 pm

View Original PostZethus Thorne wrote:
View Original PostRaikyu#919422 wrote:What about that tweet by one of the producers (I think it was Maeda, not sure) about a release in western cinemas soon?

When was that?

Sorry, I can't find that tweet. It was posted here before the movie was released in Japan. I'll try to find it.

Edit: After searching and searching, I was able to to finally find it: https://twitter.com/arcanorosso/status/ ... 7319220224

I guess that my memory betrayed me in this one. First, I said it was tweeted by Maeda, but was tweeted by Maitsu. And what he said was that they were "making arrangements for safe viewing in the United States" and not that the movie would be released soon. Also, another user, this time European, asked him about a release in Europe and this was Maitsu response: https://twitter.com/arcanorosso/status/ ... 2044709888
Last edited by Raikyu on Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:33 pm

View Original PostRaikyu wrote:Also, another user, this time European, asked him about a release in Europe and this was Maitsu response: https://twitter.com/arcanorosso/status/ ... 2044709888

Oh hey, that's kuribo-04.

AWinters
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AWinters » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:49 pm

View Original PostCharPenPen wrote:It's easy to miss but OP is mistaken, there's quite a lot of anime theatrical runs each year in the U.K.

Are we both talking about pre-DVD release screenings?

JuanSorel
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby JuanSorel » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:44 am

It very much depends on what each local distributor thinks each movie might do in cinemas, depending on demand on each market, costs and revenue. And of course, each cinema and cinema chain will consider the same, based also on the deal they can make with the distributor. In some cases there might be even a theatre run included in the conditions of the deal with the Japanese copyright owner. If amazon truly has a deal for international distribution already on the desk, this might also be a strong consideration in terms of making a decision.

We are used to the power of globalized American distribution, but smaller markets have a more complicated road to travel and the differences between countries get bigger and bigger.

Italyzpizza
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Italyzpizza » Sun May 09, 2021 12:26 am

I probably wouldn't be surprised if the movie went straight to bluray in America.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”