Netflix English Dub Discussion

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

Re: Netflix English Dub Discussion

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:38 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Bumping this to add a twitter thread from AWL where she spills some beans

Well, damn, that proves literally everything we've speculated about ADVXNeflix/Khara localization and ADV, ahem, embellishing the fuck out of it. But it goes even deeper than I thought. Jesus.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:37 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:Oh amazing, AWL at it with her usual lies again. Move over folks, nothing to see here....

The problem is people believe her BS, including EvaMonkey I gather.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

penguintruth
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby penguintruth » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:49 pm

Amanda Winn Lee is a decent enough voice actor, but I don't understand her obsession here. It's not even like playing Rei is even a meaty role, vocally (even for Hayashibara).

I still prefer the new dub (more nuanced performances), but yeah, it is a little clunky at times, scriptwise.

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:47 pm

"Obsession" is very much the correct term here. If memory serves me, she's blacklisted from attending a lot of conventions because of her more psychotic episodes.
From what I've seen of the new dub I'll disagree on the "a little clunky" part - the old ADV translation is quite frankly a travesty most of the time and plays so loosely that some key situations are presented in a very different light. Not quite as bad as the EoE dub that completely turns Ritsuko's motivations on its head, but certainly not great, either. AWL calling the script "crappy, awful" only goes to show just how little clue she really has about the show
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:13 pm

As someone who's seen the entire Netflix dub with two of my friends (they ultimately decided the show wasn't really their thing), I've got to agree on the script writing being kind of stilted. It's not even something you can point out typically, just a pervasive awkwardness throughout the show. It was clearly written by someone who's not a native English speaker. ADV changed some lines a bit too much (although their changes are nothing compared to DiC's Sailor Moon or Funimation's Dragon Ball Z), but over all their script sounded a lot more natural.

I would personally prefer a bit of a compromise: try to stick reasonably close to the original Japanese script, but have the actual dubbing script be written by native English speakers. Viz's redub of Sailor Moon did that, and it worked wonderfully.

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:27 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:Not quite as bad as the EoE dub that completely turns Ritsuko's motivations on its head, but certainly not great, either.

What did the EoE dub do to Ritsuko, exactly?

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:29 am

Tumbling Down wrote:What did the EoE dub do to Ritsuko, exactly?

I'm a bit mushy on the specifics, but in effect they completely changed the motivation for her actions by making up something new entirely for her backstory, not even bothering to approximate her actual lines
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:18 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:
View Original PostTumbling Down wrote:What did the EoE dub do to Ritsuko, exactly?

I'm a bit mushy on the specifics, but in effect they completely changed the motivation for her actions by making up something new entirely for her backstory, not even bothering to approximate her actual lines

Well, I looked at Ritsuko's scenes in the Manga dub of EoE, and I don't really see what you're talking about. Ritsuko's lines are almost exactly identical to her lines in the original Japanese version, just acted terribly. I couldn't see any added backstory or changed motivations.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:11 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:
View Original PostTumbling Down wrote:What did the EoE dub do to Ritsuko, exactly?

I don't recall that either. It's Shinji's motivations that get completely butchered. There used to be a good Youtube video about it, but either it's gone, or it's burried under anitube capitalizing on the Netflix rage.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:57 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:
I don't recall that either. It's Shinji's motivations that get completely butchered. There used to be a good Youtube video about it, but either it's gone, or it's burried under anitube capitalizing on the Netflix rage.

Yeah I think that was the controversy of Shinji being a fuck boy in the pre instrumentality kitchen scene in the original and then him having a love confession type thing in the dub.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

JupiterCallisto
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby JupiterCallisto » Fri May 21, 2021 4:26 am

View Original PostBlockio#918056 wrote:Oh amazing, AWL at it with her usual lies again. Move over folks, nothing to see here....

The problem is people believe her BS, including EvaMonkey I gather.

She wasn't the one who said this initially. In a cast reunion at a convention in 2019, Matt Greenfield was the one who mentioned that they were given those scripts then rewrote them. She's just repeating his words. You can still find the interview on YouTube and I'll link it when I get off mobile.

I'm inclined to believe her on this because of that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqL68wSbvN4

It was said in that interview. I don't have the exact time stamp but she wasn't the first with this information.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Fri May 21, 2021 5:00 pm

View Original PostJKun76 wrote:I'm inclined to believe her on this because of that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqL68wSbvN4

It was said in that interview. I don't have the exact time stamp but she wasn't the first with this information.

Thank you a lot for this information. Amazing.

JupiterCallisto
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby JupiterCallisto » Fri May 21, 2021 10:55 pm

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:
View Original PostJKun76#923336 wrote:I'm inclined to believe her on this because of that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqL68wSbvN4

Thank you a lot for this information. Amazing.

NP. I don't get that guy's hatred of the dub and its cast members who called AWL a liar and claimed they changed Ritsuko's motivations in EoE while not stating how but I wanted to get the record straight here.

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat May 22, 2021 3:51 am

Regarding AWL (Amanda Winn-Lee); the short of it is that she's "a character" to put it mildly, has a history of acting in bad faith and has pulled such stunts as give a lapdance to a pikachu mascot while live on stage in front of children. The rest of the ADV cast is nowhere near as egregious as her, but has also had its share of dubious takes (as well as a general hypocrisy of shittalking Eva at every turn + getting unreasonably pissed at the mere idea of them not being an integral part of it regardless), in combination with the dub just not being very good, objectively speaking.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Sat May 22, 2021 9:50 am

View Original PostBlockio wrote:Regarding AWL (Amanda Winn-Lee); the short of it is that she's "a character" to put it mildly, has a history of acting in bad faith and has pulled such stunts as give a lapdance to a pikachu mascot while live on stage in front of children.

I am aware of the incident with someone who dressed as PenPen, but this is the first time I've heard of that. Pikachu? Really?
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sat May 22, 2021 10:37 am

View Original PostBlockio wrote:Regarding AWL (Amanda Winn-Lee); the short of it is that she's "a character" to put it mildly, has a history of acting in bad faith and has pulled such stunts as give a lapdance to a pikachu mascot while live on stage in front of children. The rest of the ADV cast is nowhere near as egregious as her, but has also had its share of dubious takes (as well as a general hypocrisy of shittalking Eva at every turn + getting unreasonably pissed at the mere idea of them not being an integral part of it regardless), in combination with the dub just not being very good, objectively speaking.

Between this behavior, the added jokes and sound effects, and the terrible performance overall is why I'm with Khara on keeping this group away from their property. I grew up on the ADV dub and used to defend it, but the more I learned, the more I realized how badly it misrepresented Eva.

So you can crap on the Netflix dub all you want, but I'm on the firm belief that it's a much better representation of what Eva is supposed to be. I feel like ADV/Funimation dubs is more like the American idea of entertainment trying to make it more badass/funny every chance they could.

JupiterCallisto
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby JupiterCallisto » Sat May 22, 2021 12:17 pm

View Original PostBlockio#923383 wrote:Regarding AWL (Amanda Winn-Lee); the short of it is that she's "a character" to put it mildly, has a history of acting in bad faith and has pulled such stunts as give a lapdance to a pikachu mascot while live on stage in front of children. The rest of the ADV cast is nowhere near as egregious as her, but has also had its share of dubious takes (as well as a general hypocrisy of shittalking Eva at every turn + getting unreasonably pissed at the mere idea of them not being an integral part of it regardless), in combination with the dub just not being very good, objectively speaking.

Between this behavior, the added jokes and sound effects, and the terrible performance overall is why I'm with Khara on keeping this group away from their property. I grew up on the ADV dub and used to defend it, but the more I learned, the more I realized how badly it misrepresented Eva.

So you can crap on the Netflix dub all you want, but I'm on the firm belief that it's a much better representation of what Eva is supposed to be. I feel like ADV/Funimation dubs is more like the American idea of entertainment trying to make it more badass/funny every chance they could.

AWL didn't even work on the Rebuilds? I swear this is just childish hatred and it's honestly kind of embarrassing when you know the dub cast is near and dear to millions of people but you don't want the cast back because YOU don't personally like it. When the rebuild versions didn't even change any sound effects.

You realize EVERY dub in EVERY country EVER changes things right? An example off the top of my head is from the cartoon Rick and Morty. In the Japanese dub Morty doesn't call Rick by his first name like he does in every other country because that is considered to be highly disrespectful. Instead of he calls his "gramps" which is still very disrespectful in Japan but not to an offensive degree. The point of a dub is to make sure the message of the original get across in another language even if it's not 1:1 accurate.

I only see American Anime fans get like this over not being overly literal and it's weird.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sat May 22, 2021 12:42 pm

All I'm going to say on this is AWL son had cancer which I feel is a terrible thing for any parent to go through and could mess you up mentally, and I heard she got very hurt by the fandom. I've also seen stars do far, far worse than dance with cosplay penguins at conventions as conventions from 2000's were very different animals to what you see now.

There were much more lax rules wise, and I saw stars get very, very drunk from all different fandoms there were rumours of stars sleeping with fans both male and female and being total sexual predators.

I mean I saw one guy in the talks get dragged up on stage and get used as a foot stool, I saw one-star put up videos with little toys having gay sex, these were hilarious mind you but utterly R rated.

These conventions were wild, cosplay is not consent was not a rule back then. So it wasn't just stars miss behaving it was also con goers and very badly like getting drunk having fights sexual harassment was rampant and not dealt with (This was up until 2002 when all London cons put in the rule stopping this and gave lifetime bans)

I know this as I used to use my cosplay weapon to push people off who got to drunk or handsy or who I thought were utter creeps. (My weapon was a wooden staff as that was allowed back then before they banned all realistic weapons)

There was also breaking hotel rooms/lights/making noise having crazy drinking parties these really were the wild west days of con....they were beyond awesome and terrible at the same time. I'm not condoning AWL behaviour here but more giving context of what these cons were like as I went to a lot of them between 1999/2010.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sat May 22, 2021 12:59 pm

View Original PostJKun76 wrote:
View Original Posthui43210#923393 wrote:

AWL didn't even work on the Rebuilds? I swear this is just childish hatred and it's honestly kind of embarrassing when you know the dub cast is near and dear to millions of people but you don't want the cast back because YOU don't personally like it. When the rebuild versions didn't even change any sound effects.

Yes, I'm the only person who doesn't like that dub. Good thing I have Anno's ear and made him switch dub casts. You caught me.

JupiterCallisto
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby JupiterCallisto » Sat May 22, 2021 1:05 pm

View Original PostJKun76#923395 wrote:

Yes, I'm the only person who doesn't like that dub. Good thing I have Anno's ear and made him switch dub casts. You caught me.

Love how you ignored how I mentioned that every dub in every country ever makes changes. I've never seen anyone but English Anime fans get so torn up about it however.

AWL still didn't work on the Rebuilds either so I don't see why she's in your conversation about why the cast deserved to be changed. Keep in mind, also, Khara didn't do this with any other redub of NGE and many of them got to keep their original casts, even those who also made a lot of changes in their dubs. You have a lot of biases here and it's kind of weird.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”