Untranslated Material Compendium

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Riki
Embryo

Re: Untranslated Material Compendium

•      
  •      

Postby Riki » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:44 am

I translated "1996 July: "Say anta baka to me" "あんた、バカぁと、言われてみたい。(庵野秀明、宮村優子)". Animage , features Miyamura and Anno
in list Interviews (Anno, Tsurumaki, Enokido, Yamashita, Masayuki)" from the list.

https://trello.com/c/Oj6rVUqc

Here's my translation.
https://www.buymeacoffee.com/rikki/i-want-told-what-stupid

I hope you enjoy it.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:06 am

View Original PostRiki wrote:I translated "1996 July: "Say anta baka to me" "あんた、バカぁと、言われてみたい。(庵野秀明、宮村優子)". Animage , features Miyamura and Anno
in list Interviews (Anno, Tsurumaki, Enokido, Yamashita, Masayuki)" from the list.

https://trello.com/c/Oj6rVUqc

Here's my translation.
https://www.buymeacoffee.com/rikki/i-want-told-what-stupid

I hope you enjoy it.

Thanks Rikki. I'm starting to wonder if for the near future it might be better to focus our efforts on the new Rebuild material coming out. You might have noticed I included the 1.0 and mising 2.0 CRC material in there. A friend look it over and it has some very, very interesting stuff in it. The new booklet interviews are also relevant.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:25 am

lol very poor miyamura.

these ppl all need to learn to take a day off before they get burned out
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Riki
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Riki » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:16 am

I finished translation for these ones.
1997 August Anno: Playboy エヴァンゲリオン「完全封印宣言」
https://trello.com/c/wJEKVndp
1998 April Anno: 近藤喜文さんの見つめたもの Animage
https://trello.com/c/xLkq8ETo
1995 November (Anno and Ikuhara interview)
https://trello.com/c/EpHucysE

Please check them out:
Evangelion: "Declaration of complete sealing"
https://www.buymeacoffee.com/rikki/evangelion-declaration-complete-sealing
What did Yoshifumi Kondo look at?
https://www.buymeacoffee.com/rikki/what-yoshifumi-kondo-look
Our Happiness: The Happiness Depicted by "Evangelion" #1
https://www.buymeacoffee.com/rikki/our-happiness-the-happiness-depicted-evangelion

Hope you enjoy it.
Last edited by Riki on Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:42 am

These are some truly interesting interviews. Thanks, Rikki!

Anno's reminiscence of Yoshifumi Kondo was appropriately bittersweet, the one where he, Ikuhara and Mitsuishi were all together was amusing in some instances and provides everyone with an useful message about happiness (it was also fun to read Ikuhara criticizing America so accurately while only speculating).

The "Declaration of complete sealing" interview is, however, by far the most interesting one. Anno's self-deprecative tendencies come off really well, especially when he talks about Eva as simply being masturbation. His comments on the inherent unoriginality of his generation are cool and I think his talk about feeling talent is a lack, wanting to be with a woman, putting everything in his art and wanting more to be like "normal" people provide a bit of an understanding of him and Shin (you'll probably understand what I mean once you've seen it) in the terms that he's someone who wants to be a fairly normal, standard (ie "generic") person, but feels incapable of being one, so makes art into which he then puts everything of himself in an attempt to create something good and artistic, even if he considers it only a cultural equivalent of masturbation in the end. Also, Anno appears really interested in questions of reality and fantasy and their intersection/etc, which makes a lot of sense, going from (relatively) small things like NGE's interest in how people's self-perceptions and beliefs and reasons collide with the way others perceive and think about them to larger stuff like NGE ending with an introspective collage show and EoE also featuring weird, Lynchian stuff. You could even theoretically argue that Kare Kano's hyperstylism combined with its "lightweight" story and Shin Godzilla's mixture of CGI and tokusatsu elements are a part of that interest and the idea Anno has had such an interest that can be seen in his works, even if not necessarily on a thematic level, is appealing to me, as I'm interested in the intersection between fantasy and reality myself.

Anno saying Eva is like "a scream" is also darkly logical and I feel his statement about Japan being so full of weird people due to the popularity of his "scream" just says so much about the current general problems of people in developed Western societies.

Riki
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Riki » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:56 am

SPOILER: Show
View Original PostZusuchan wrote:These are some truly interesting interviews. Thanks, Rikki!

Anno's reminiscence of Yoshifumi Kondo was appropriately bittersweet, the one where he, Ikuhara and Mitsuishi were all together was amusing in some instances and provides everyone with an useful message about happiness (it was also fun to read Ikuhara criticizing America so accurately while only speculating).

The "Declaration of complete sealing" interview is, however, by far the most interesting one. Anno's self-deprecative tendencies come off really well, especially when he talks about Eva as simply being masturbation. His comments on the inherent unoriginality of his generation are cool and I think his talk about feeling talent is a lack, wanting to be with a woman, putting everything in his art and wanting more to be like "normal" people provide a bit of an understanding of him and Shin (you'll probably understand what I mean once you've seen it) in the terms that he's someone who wants to be a fairly normal, standard (ie "generic") person, but feels incapable of being one, so makes art into which he then puts everything of himself in an attempt to create something good and artistic, even if he considers it only a cultural equivalent of masturbation in the end. Also, Anno appears really interested in questions of reality and fantasy and their intersection/etc, which makes a lot of sense, going from (relatively) small things like NGE's interest in how people's self-perceptions and beliefs and reasons collide with the way others perceive and think about them to larger stuff like NGE ending with an introspective collage show and EoE also featuring weird, Lynchian stuff. You could even theoretically argue that Kare Kano's hyperstylism combined with its "lightweight" story and Shin Godzilla's mixture of CGI and tokusatsu elements are a part of that interest and the idea Anno has had such an interest that can be seen in his works, even if not necessarily on a thematic level, is appealing to me, as I'm interested in the intersection between fantasy and reality myself.

Anno saying Eva is like "a scream" is also darkly logical and I feel his statement about Japan being so full of weird people due to the popularity of his "scream" just says so much about the current general problems of people in developed Western societies.

Wow, I got overwhelmed by your comment. I am afraid that my translation may not be perfect at times for those who have such a deep understanding of Anno's interviews. However, I hope you will continue to enjoy reading the articles I translate. Thank you for giving me a feedback, Zusuchan.

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:44 am

I wouldn't say I have a particularly deep understanding of Anno's interviews, I just say what I think-and if you wouldn't translate those works, I could never do that! So your work is much appreciated, Rikki-thank you.

By the way, I put your quote of my post into a spoiler tab. Quoting entire big posts is generally discouraged on EGF, since it can make threads a bit more cumbersome to read, especially when there's not that big of a need for quoting entire big posts. I hope you'll understand.

Riki
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Riki » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:28 am

As Felipe suggests me to translate Evangelion:1.0 CRC interview, especially Kazuya Tsurumaki, I started working on it.
https://forum.evageeks.org/post/892613/Evangelion10-CRC-interviews/

Here's my translation,
https://www.buymeacoffee.com/rikki/complete-recordings-1-0-interview-kazuya-tsurumaki

Hope you like it.

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:52 am

Yes, it's quite good.

Tsurumaki saying he didn't really understand what he was getting into at first makes me a bit sad for him, since he's now spent all this time on another man's work instead of his own projects-and he started working on NTE just after he was starting to have a successful directorial career himself! Though at least he could do something interesting and fix some of his regrets about the original NGE.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:18 pm

Rikki, let me ask you this publicly as I want more input from people: do you think you could post the text of the translation itself here, so we can discuss it on the forums? Ideally each interview should have its own thread (and maybe the mods will want to move your posts). Of course you should also link to your patreon and buymeacoffe, as I'm also trying to get more people to support you.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:29 am

Dude you are amazing :w00t:

Riki
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Riki » Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:23 am

Thank you for your advice, Felipe!

This is a translation of interview with Kazuya Tsurumaki.
Part one, "If I'm going to participate in this project, I want it to make worthwhile" from 1.0 CRC interviews.
https://forum.evageeks.org/post/892613/Evangelion10-CRC-interviews/

Evangelion:1.0 CRC interview

Kazuya Tsurumaki

Interview & Writing: Ryusuke Hikawa

Director:
Kazuya Tsurumaki

He supported the TV series as an assistant director with Masayuki. In the film version of "The End of Evangelion", he created the dynamic Evangelion Mass Production Units and Evangelion Unit-02 action. Kazuya Tsurumaki, who also worked on "FLCL" and "GunBuster2", created edgy and sharp images. In "1.0", the climax of "Operation Yakushima", what is the meaning behind the act of "REBUILD"? And what is the meaning of doing a new Eva?

"If I'm going to participate in this project, I want it to make worthwhile."

Interviewer

According to Mr. Sadamoto, when he saw that you, who was the least likely to participate in the project, was taking part, he thought that something really special was going to happen. From your own point of view, what was the reason for your participation?

Tsurumaki

I was misunderstood at first, and ended up "participating" in the project before I understood exactly what was going on. When I first heard about the project, I was called by Anno, and I was thinking, "What, what?" He asked me out of the blue, "What would you like to work on next after GunBuster 2, Evangelion 2 or the new work of a very famous anime?" I was confused, but as I was giving my opinions on this and that, I came to the conclusion that "Eva 2" was the way to go. At that time, Anno's new work was supposed to be a completely different project from "Eva".

Interviewer

Is "Eva 2" something different from the "New Movie" that you're working on now?

Tsurumaki

I had assumed that Anno's next anime would be called "Evangelion 2". Even so, it's not a pure sequel, it's something as different as "First Gundam, Gundam 0079" and "MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM SEED". In short, the anime that Anno-san is going to make will all be titled "Evangelion".For example, a work like "The Gutsy Frog" would be called "The Gutsy Evangelion", and "Star of the Giants" would be called "Baseball Evangelion". It's a kind of branding, like "VAIO" for all Sony computers.

That's what he meant by "2". At that time, there was talk that if I wouldn't do it, he would assign it to someone else. Apparently, Mr. Anno wasn't going to officially direct the film, so it was okay to have a completely outsourced staff.

Interviewer

I see. There has been talk of a "G Evangelion" like the "Mobile Fighter G Gundam" in the Gundam series for a while, hasn't there?

Tsurumaki

Now that I think about it, there must have already been talk of a compilation at that time. But I just assumed that he was talking about "Evangelion 2" and listened to him. I told him, "If you're going to make Eva, you have to do it yourself, and if you're going to do anime again, I'll have to help you."

Interviewer

So there was a twist in the story, and it turned out that Anno's next project was a remake.

Tsurumaki

That's how it ended up (laughs). To be honest, if it hadn't been for the Evangelion remake, I think I would have felt more comfortable participating. That's my honest opinion. However, even if it was Evangelion, as long as Mr. Anno is going to do anime again, I think I should participate in that work, so I had mixed feelings about it.

Interviewer

Is "Eva" such a resistant existence?

Tsurumaki

Of course. I mean, I think, "Of course, everyone is resistant to it."

Interviewer

But as a result, it's not a remake, it's becoming something new called "REBUILD".

Tsurumaki

Yes. This "New Movie" is practically becoming "Evangelion 2". I don't know if Anno originally had this in mind, or if he just came to his senses during the script writing meetings. At first, it was just a compilation.

Interviewer

That's what everyone has been saying.

Tsurumaki

It's been a little over a decade since the TV anime ended, and for new fans who want to watch "Evangelion" now, it would be hard to rent all 26 TV episodes and the movie version at a video rental store. So if you're wondering, "What's the story behind Evangelion?", If you want to know what Evangelion is all about, you can rent it and watch the whole thing in about three to four hours on a holiday. If that's the way "Evangelion" is going to be developed in the future, it's better for business. Besides, it would be relatively easy to make. We were just saying, "Let's make it easy." At first, it was just a compilation.

Interviewer

In reality, though, you've come to a place that's far from easy at all.

Tsurumaki

According to the original plan, after "GunBuster2" was finished last summer, I completed one film every six months, and by the end of this year (2007), the trilogy was completed. It was supposed to be finished in a year and a half. I thought, "Well, that's not too hard, so it's okay." In the original plan, there must have been about a hundred new cuts for the first part, "1.0". The rest would be digitally edited. Even the 14 episodes of the TV series are not really a compilation, although they are a compilation in terms of pictures.

Yoshiyuki Tomino was always good at that kind of thing, and I think Anno made episode 14 based on works like "Uso dancing in a hallucination" (*1) from "Mobile Suit Victory Gundam". It was a compilation, but not a compilation. Anno may have had something similar in mind from the beginning. For me, too, if I'm going to do something, it's worth doing it if it's similar but different. That's why I don't think I had any motivation from the beginning, but rather after I started making it, I found the value in making it.

(*1)https://www26.gogoanimes.tv/mobile-suit-victory-gundam-episode-45 or https://animeflix.eu.org/mobile-suit-victory-gundam-episode-45

Interviewer

I see. How do you divide up the actual directing work?

Tsurumaki

To put it simply, Masayuki directed the first half of Part A, and I directed the second half Part B. In total, Mr. Anno is looking after the film as the general director.

The reason I thought, "Even if it's a compilation, it's okay," is because I can do Operation Yakushima in the second half. In the TV series, everything after the storyboard for episode 6 was ordered by another company, and Gainax had no control over it. So I had some regrets that I wanted to do something more.

Continue to "Working on remembering "Eva's grammar"."

I don't like putting stuff behind a paywall so I won't do that, but I'd like to remind people that I have a Patreon and a Buy Me a Coffee page, so if you'd like to contribute that'd be very appreciated. They're there mainly for helping with bills and stuff, which helps me have more free time from other work so I can do more translations.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/rikki
https://www.patreon.com/rikkisan

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:24 am

FelipeFritschF wrote: Ideally each interview should have its own thread (and maybe the mods will want to move your posts).

I have no problem with the translations being posted on the forum in their entirety and I do think it might help to generate more discussion of them, but I'm not sure about giving each interview its own thread-even though I enjoy Rikki's contributions a lot, I'm not sure there's enough interest overall for the individual interviews to warrant such an action. If Rikki feels different, then he can of course do as you suggested, I'm not forcing anything upon anyone.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:08 pm

You might want to discuss this with staff and get their inputs, then. What ends up happening is that people end up not noticing the interviews are being done, because this subforum is somewhat less active and "Untranslated Material Compendium" isn't the most flashy or attention-grabbing of titles. Riki has already given us 10+ translations, and normally each one of those would get some considerable discussion and exposure in a dedicated thread. I'm attempting to get people to notice these are at least being done, as well as creating discussion and hopefully getting more people to support him. Hence my idea to have this thread just for discussing the collating of sources proper, but posting the actual translations in dedicated threads.

For comparison's sake, the 2.0 CRC interviews each had their own dedicated threads. Here's the Tsurumaki one, you can see it gathered a lot of discussion at the time. It was also archived on gwern's site, of course. But on the other hand I don't want to steal Riki from any potential views to his site and potential supporters he might gain. Of course, his site doesn't get any exposure either if the links to it are buried here.

thread/10472/Evangelion-20-CRC-Tsurumaki-Interview/

https://www.gwern.net/docs/eva/2010-crc

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:26 pm

Riki can I integrate your translations in the thread I made?

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:35 pm

I share Zusuchan's opinion. Interviewing old 1.0 interviews is unlikely to generate the kind of interest that 3.0 + 1.0 interviews are going to get, and therefore putting them in multiple threads is unnecessary. Those 2.0 CRC interviews got their own individual threads because they were hot topics at the time of their creation.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:48 pm

It's fine to just post them in the 1.0 CRC thread in general, I think, but I assume once we get the 3.0 CRC and 3.0+1.0 CRC the translations for those will get their own threads. Either way, the translations getting done now are quite interesting but are barely getting noticed because they're buried in here. My idea for this thread was mostly organizing them, not discussing them. This one for instance was partly translated some time ago and at the time got some discussion. Right now there is more overall activity, and Riki has recently translated the rest and posted it here:

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/rikki/i-wa ... hat-stupid

But because it's in here it barely gets any attention. Riki had his own thread here, but that didn't get much discussion either. I didn't even post those on the wiki and I'm not gonna do it for the time being as I don't want to steal views from Riki. Problem being this thread isn't intended for any specific translator, it's to organize stuff. The 3.0+1.0 booklet interviews we're getting are also being more or less organized by me. Perhaps we should all come to a consensus on how to handle new translations in the future, in such a way that they can get enough exposure to both generate discussion and inform people, and also to support the translators in here. Personally, I'd rather have a thread for each and that we organize some effort to support people like Rikki. This is (generally) how it was done some years ago with translations at the time and they generated some huge threads.

I should say that the reason I suggested Rikki check out the 1.0 CRC is because they are far more interesting that it might seem. They go over a lot of the motivation for the Rebuilds, they reveal the fact that Anno wanted to create an "Evangelion Part 2" since 2000 (!!!), and open up the franchise ever since then. This is just what I know from other people skimming over them. Additonally, there's also a little bit of the 2.0 CRC that is untranslated. I think it's safe to say that we all want to understand how Anno and co. arrived at 3.0+1.0 and both CRCs are essential in understanding that.

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:05 am

Of course the 1.0 CRC is interesting and I am looking forward to upcoming translations. However, I'm still not certain one new thread for every last translation is necessary, especially since Jo is not most likely a film that people are as interested in as Shin. (The Shin translations do deserve separate threads, no question about that). So I'm not really sure about the necessity of what you wish to do. However, this is ultimately up to Riki and if he thinks separate threads are a good idea, then I'm pretty sure no one will stop him.

Riki
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Riki » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:34 pm

View Original PostJoseki wrote:Riki can I integrate your translations in the thread I made?

Sure man. ^_^

I have #2 & #3 here.
Working on remembering 'Eva's grammar'
https://www.buymeacoffee.com/rikki/evangelion-1-0-crc-interview-kazuya-tsurumaki-2
We can go further and explore the nuances of color with digital photography.
https://www.buymeacoffee.com/rikki/evangelion-1-0-crc-interview-kazuya-tsurumaki-3

Hope you enjoy them.

meu amigo Felipe,
I appreciate your help in trying to get more people to read my translations. It's because of you or people like you that I'm able to keep doing it.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:38 pm

I will add them to the post once I have the time. Sadly (thankfully) work is keeping me very busy at the moment I can't be bothered to spend the time formatting in BBcode :misato_yawn:

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”