3.0 CRC in development!

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Re: 3.0 CRC in development!

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:34 pm

Reposting what I said in the waiting for Shin thread:
So Shinji was initially supposed to have pants with his hospital attire, but the Crocs were a constant! :D

Also it's interesting how Sakura's concept outfit was a mix of Misato's old NERV uniform (one piece skirt with jacket) but with what looks like the same jacket as the rest of the WILLE crew. While that would had made her blend more with the rest of the crew, I can understand that Khara decided to make her stand out more, since she's the new character we see the most in Q.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:06 pm

Early Sakura design.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:50 pm

The one with the long curly hair is literally just Quan from Rahxephon lol.

The short hair version is like a cuter version of Rei, not really that interesting otherwise. Overall, the final version is definitely the best route. Makes me curious to see the other prototypes for characters like older Misato and other Wunder crew.

Also, this quells the notion that Sadamoto didn't do the designs for 3.0.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:26 am

The 3.0+1.0 CRC is also in preparation -- Khara have made a highly spoileriffic tweet to announce it.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:50 am

Early Sakura is Ogata's Twitter profile picture

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:42 am

I'm glad they didn't kept the first draft of her attire, the puffy skirt made her look like straight out of a magical girl anime! :D
The image of her being short-haired and shooting make it very clear that she's Toji's sister! That remember me of a face she had in the 3.0 booklet where she too had a face that made her blood relationship with Toji indisputable, a shame she never made such a face in Q.
The last Sakura sketch looks like Shinji cosplaying Sakura! :rofl:

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:The 3.0+1.0 CRC is also in preparation -- Khara have made a highly spoileriffic tweet to announce it.

Dammit, another mine to add to the giant minefield that is internet.
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:23 pm

this will be fun cant wait to get my eyeballs on the content
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:58 am

Wunder crew

Rough draft of Midori Kitakami, Hideki Tama, Sumire Nagara and Koji Takao (all them by Yoshiyuki Sadamoto)
Work dated in 2010.
SPOILER: Show

WILLE members
Rough draft of Misato, Ritsuko, Maya, Aoba and Hyuga (all them by Yoshiyuki Sadamoto)

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:Wille logos by Anno

Looking at this one more closely, the early intention was for the WILLE logo to be the union of two kanji "kokoro" (心), plus the letter "W".
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:43 am

View Original PostJoelcrNeto wrote:Work dated in 2010.

So it WAS all planned?
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:50 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:
View Original PostJoelcrNeto#918832 wrote:Work dated in 2010.

So it WAS all planned?

If Jo came out in 2007 and Ha came out in 2009, planning certainly started much earlier than the release of the first film. Q only came out in 2012, so that leaves plenty of time for there to have been one original plan for the movies to be more or less the same as the series and for that plan to have then changed over time. "All planned" probably means that Q and Shin weren't made up on the fly, but it's still possible that the overall plan changed as these movies went through production.

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:05 am

Sadamoto's drafts for the timeskip Misato, Ritsuko, Aoba, Maya and Hyuga are dated in 2010 as well:
  • Misato: July 25, 2010
  • Ritsuko: July 20, 2010
  • Maya, Aoba, Hyuga: August 6, 2010
The early Sakura design posted by Felipe, is also from 2010 (there's one from 2011).
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:31 am

I think Yamashita’s Wunder concept art was also dated August 2010.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:56 am

View Original PostJoelcrNeto wrote:Wunder crew

Rough draft of Midori Kitakami, Hideki Tama, Sumire Nagara and Koji Takao (all them by Yoshiyuki Sadamoto)
Work dated in 2010.

It seems that the new bridge bunnies' design was set in stone since the beginning, except that Nagara was first supposed to have a tanktop and pants before they switched to a pseudo-plugsuit. Also funny thing is that the image of Kitakami with a beret is also present in the 3.0 booklet, yet we never see her wearing one in Q.
Another interesting point is that none of them is wearing the blue armband, so I suppose that it was a later addition.

View Original PostJoelcrNeto wrote:WILLE members
Rough draft of Misato, Ritsuko, Maya, Aoba and Hyuga (all them by Yoshiyuki Sadamoto)

Damn the early drafts of Misato were even less subtle with the Captain Nemo parallels! :lol:
Like with the new ones, the original Bridge Bunnies' designs seemed to had been decided since the beginning, but they too don't have the blue armband on those early drafts, comforting me in my theory that those were a later addition to the WILLE people design.
On the other hand, Sakura had a scarf since the early draft stage, so my guess is that it was supposed to be a simple accessory and they changed it to blue to represent her belonging to WILLE.

View Original PostJoelcrNeto wrote:
View Original Postkuribo-04#908726 wrote:Wille logos by Anno

Looking at this one more closely, the early intention was for the WILLE logo to be the union of two kanji "kokoro" (心), plus the letter "W".

What does kokoro" mean?

View Original PostKendrix wrote:
View Original PostJoelcrNeto#918832 wrote:Work dated in 2010.

So it WAS all planned?

According to Khara in the 3.33 BR booklet, it was indeed planned from the beginning:
Big picture! (Sorry for the blurriness, all the more reason to spoiler tag)  SPOILER: Show

Which is why there are some foreshadowing in Jo and Ha (like Kaji citing Urashima Taro)

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:27 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:What does kokoro" mean?

It mean “heart; mind; spirit”.
Edit: if this kanji is read as "shin", besides having the same meanings as "kokoro", it can also mean "vitality".

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:19 pm

View Original PostJoelcrNeto wrote:
View Original PostElMariachi#918865 wrote:What does kokoro" mean?

It mean “heart; mind; spirit”.
Edit: if this kanji is read as "shin", besides having the same meanings as "kokoro", it can also mean "vitality".

Pretty fitting for an organization called "Will" in German! A shame that Anno didn't' kept it and opted instead for the graffiti-like logo.

Also thank you for fishing those illustrations, I don't dare going to Khara's twitter since apparently there are many spoilers there.

Heaven Piercing Man
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Heaven Piercing Man » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:54 am

Finally all the conspiracy theorists saying "the real Q was based on the Donkey Preview and was lost/scrapped after the 2011 earthquake" can shut up.
Evangelion, in three words: How Strangely Erotic

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:35 am

I'll fucking print this out and frame it. Finally some solid proof to shut up not just the "actual Q was lost", but also the whole "akshually nothing means anything" crowd
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:42 am

Well, all this really proves is that the original plan for 3.0 was abandoned relatively quickly. Remember, 2010 was one year after 2.0 released with that trailer for the scrapped version of 3.0. And I do still believe that the 3.0 preview was going to become an actual movie at some point. Otherwise, why market it as a preview for 3.0 in the first place? Just to troll people? I thought we mostly agreed here that Anno’s not a troll.

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:58 am

This was the plan all along. If one were to go back and rewatch You Are (Not) Alone and You can (Not) Advance with knowledge of the shocks in You Can (Not) Redo, one would uncover many exciting depictions that are sure to stir the imagination

Doesn't get a whole lot more explicit than that that Q was, in fact, planned to be this way from the start. They outright tell you that the foreshadowing for it is in place. And guess what, it is. There's ancient threads on here that did predict some of the major plot elements of Q long before the movie dropped.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:49 am

View Original PostBusterMachine4 wrote:Well, all this really proves is that the original plan for 3.0 was abandoned relatively quickly. Remember, 2010 was one year after 2.0 released with that trailer for the scrapped version of 3.0. And I do still believe that the 3.0 preview was going to become an actual movie at some point. Otherwise, why market it as a preview for 3.0 in the first place? Just to troll people? I thought we mostly agreed here that Anno’s not a troll.

They made the "fake" Q preview (that wasn't that fake, since there are a couple of hints in Q proper that those events happened during the timeskip) because the entire experience of Q hinged on being taken by surprise by how much time actually passed and how much the world and its people changed, because the movie can only work if we really get into Shinji's shoes and feel as much confused and lost as him.
Everyone expected a next time preview at the end of Ha, because that's already what they did in Jo and it follows the style the TV series, so had they finished Ha without a next time preview, people would had immediately guessed that something would happen, and of course had they released a next time preview with the real content ("14 years after Near Third Impact, Shinji Ikari wakes up in a world that he doesn't recognize anymore. All the links to the people he cherished are gone as he's thrown into this cold and cruel world where Kaworu Nagisa is his only hope of redemption. Next Time on Evangelion Theatrical Edition : Q!" :misato_service: ) then the entire element of surprise and shock would be gone.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”