The Wiki Thread (General)

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: The Wiki Thread (General)

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:30 am

I noticed that the ADV Platimum subs (for the TV series) are still listed on the Wiki as the ''standards'' for translated Eva material as pertains to that particular artwork. I'm thinking maybe these rules should be updated. That would potentially necessitate a lot of re-writes in terms of subtitles, but I could just as well try to do that. Most of the things I've wanted to contribute have turned out to be rather time-consuming and difficult to write, anyway, so I could attempt some small helping gestures in terms of updating the translated material for NGE. Of course, that's only if the others here consider it a good idea too.

My basic idea would be to use the translations used for the FGC. All of the dialogue appears to be be translated for the TV series specifically by fans themselves, so what I'm suggesting is for the TV series we'll use those translations as the new ''standard''. For EoE, I think bochan_bird's translation still suffices. It's also made by a fan, for one, and it's pretty similar to the Netflix sub from what I've read so far and is a good translation that's quite similar to the original screenplay.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:46 pm

View Original PostZusuchan wrote:I noticed that the ADV Platimum subs (for the TV series) are still listed on the Wiki as the ''standards'' for translated Eva material as pertains to that particular artwork. I'm thinking maybe these rules should be updated. That would potentially necessitate a lot of re-writes in terms of subtitles, but I could just as well try to do that.

Ye Olde Standards and Conventions page was updated in 2007 and 2014, with the portion in question dating back to 2007. Old standards are old. Also, has that much time really passed? :look:

Thanks for bringing this up, in all seriousness. Netflix's new subtitles are clearly better than those in ADV's Platinum and use input from Khara itself, so those logically should take precedence over the Platinum subs. Right now I doubt there's all that much translated material based on ADV's Platinum subtitles on the wiki, so feel free to make your own judgment about how tedious (or otherwise) that replacement job is.

I'll put a note on the Standards and Conventions page, since I don't know who has access to the Netflix subtitles over the old ADV subtitles.

Most of the things I've wanted to contribute have turned out to be rather time-consuming and difficult to write, anyway, so I could attempt some small helping gestures in terms of updating the translated material for NGE. Of course, that's only if the others here consider it a good idea too.

Out of curiosity, what did you want to contribute? I'm sure whatever idea you had in mind would be better than simply replacing a set of translations.

My basic idea would be to use the translations used for the FGC. All of the dialogue appears to be be translated for the TV series specifically by fans themselves, so what I'm suggesting is for the TV series we'll use those translations as the new ''standard''. For EoE, I think bochan_bird's translation still suffices. It's also made by a fan, for one, and it's pretty similar to the Netflix sub from what I've read so far and is a good translation that's quite similar to the original screenplay.

That basic idea still holds, but we don't have a full set of script and dialogue translations for the FGC right now. I agree, bochan_bird's new translation should still be fine. And I'm definitely in favor of using our own translations ahead of anything else, depending on their availability.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:45 pm

UrsusArctos wrote:
That basic idea still holds, but we don't have a full set of script and dialogue translations for the FGC right now.

We don't? But since the first seven episodes are already translated by fans, then shouldn't there be for the others too? I admit I didn't see script translations the more I went towards the end, but there were still dialogue translations. So were they just ADV placeholders, there for the time and then to be refined by fans when it seems like there's an actually viable interest in the FGC?

In terms of my original contribution plans, there were a few ideas of expanding some small-info pages. I thought about expanding the ANIMA page into something with actual descriptions of what happens there, as much as I (or seemingly just about everyone else) would be able to actually decipher and understand the manic events of that. It'd be nice to also have more detailed info on other works, such as Campus Apocalypse or Legend of the Piko Piko Middle School Students. Another would be to write short descriptions of characters in all their Alt-Universe versions. For example, Misato's page would also include just a bit of info about her manga, ANIMA, SIRP, AD, NTE etc. versions. The only ''Other Media'' descriptions for her are NTE and some Transformers cross-over. The detail would/should go into the pages pertaining to the actual alternative medias. But in order to do any of that effectively, I actually have to read those works, which is time-consuming and frankly a bit bothersome, since they're just not that good.

Probably the biggest thing I wanted to do was to work on the page for Shinji's and Rei's relationship that is just about empty, but there's just so much to discuss and go through with that, not to mention the actual process of attempting to write anything of that magnitude and complexity. (I can be something of a perfectionist too, which doesn't help.)

The translation updating would take time too, of course, but probably not that much, considering there are some actual translations already available, they're not just used. But if there's not a full set of translations, I don't really know what to do, lol. I guess for now I'll just use Netflix's, though there are some problems. Rei and Shinji referring to each other by their first names comes to mind.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:14 pm

It's good you brought this up. Many pages on the wiki haven't been edited in years (partly because they don't necessarily have anything major that needs to be added) so it's natural they wouldn't include the new Netflix/Khara subs. What you might not know is that Netflix neglected to include Kanemitsu's revised subtitles, so perhaps that weirdness will be out of the way when the blu-ray releases.

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:51 am

FelipeFritschF wrote:
perhaps that weirdness will be out of the way when the blu-ray releases.

Let's hope so.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:56 pm

Split out all the String Quartet and Quantum Rei discussion into its own thread.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:52 pm

I made an article for yet another one of the spin-off abominations, this time the pachinko manga with the bland self insert female character that is obsessed with Eva pachinko and dates Kaworu. Still gonna add some more images later.

How can this be added to the publication list?

https://wiki.evageeks.org/It%27s_A_Miraculous_Win

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:58 pm

It's done, I just added it to the pub list template.

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Lavinius » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:28 pm

There should probably be a separate page for Lilith (NTE) as well. Honestly, all major characters in Rebuild (maybe not Aoba or such) should have Shinji Ikari (NTE) pages...

Also "Third Angel" should probably be a disambiguation between Sachiel / Third Angel (NTE) and so on.
~ibi cubávit Lamia, et invénit sibi reiquiem~

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:44 pm

I wouldn't say that the angels warrant a full disambiguation page, I'd just go for a header pointing to the other one
This is the page for the Third angel of New Theatrical Edition. If you are looking for the third angel from the TV series, go to [[Sachiel]]
A
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Gen3
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Gen3 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:19 am

I guess this is the right place for this. Here are higher quality images for the "Dear Brother" section of the Tributes to Other Fiction in Neon Genesis Evangelion page. By the way, these captures are from Episode 4.
SPOILER: Show

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:20 am

^Thank you, Gen3! Much appreciated!

View Original PostLavinius wrote:There should probably be a separate page for Lilith (NTE) as well. Honestly, all major characters in Rebuild (maybe not Aoba or such) should have Shinji Ikari (NTE) pages...

But they all have the same names as their NGE counterparts (if sourced from different warships) and same appearance, more or less. The one exception is Shikinami, because the name change from Soryu is such a big deal.

Also "Third Angel" should probably be a disambiguation between Sachiel / Third Angel (NTE) and so on.

This is a very good idea, especially since the Angels in NTE may turn out to be completely different in name and origin than the NGE Angels, with only the superficial similarity of the first few to link them together.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:11 pm

Actually, one more on that note - since NTE thought it's be funny to shuffle around the numbers, I guess the template should be more along the lines of
This is the page for Sachiel, the Third Angel. If you are looking for the Third Angel of New Theatrical Edition, go to [[Third Angel]]; if you are looking for NTE's narrative counterpart, go to [[Fourth Angel]]
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Berserker
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Berserker » Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:03 am

I think the simulation bodies had much more purposes than what we're used of thinking all these time. Our wiki describes they're just for refining synchronization between Evas and their pilots. Yeah, that's what simulation stands for. But after rewatching ep 13, i think they'd have used them to remotely pilot the Evas. The transcript between 6:11 to 6:21 says-
-Connecting the simulation plugs to the Evas via simulation bodies.

-Contact with Eva unit 00 has been confirmed.

-A.T field will be generated at output of 2 yocto(2x10^-24).

The scene turns to unit 00 at that moment(visual confirmation), meaning they successfully activated unit 00 remotely by the simulation body through the Magi with Rei inside the simulation plug. Obviously for deliberate reason, they limited the A.T field generation to minimal as that was the 2nd simulation test (1st one took one week stated by Misato, experimental pilot unknown, possibly Rei), 1st for three pilot together.
Now it's kinda far fetched, but probably in concern of pilot's health and life hazard from piloting Eva, they'd have used this (if Ireul didn't just intrude) so that the pilots could simply pilot the Evas from the pribnow box through simulation. They would've to hop in the simulation plug, wait for the Magi to connect it with the Evas, synchronize and pilot it from there. Of course, it would've taken some time to execute this method of piloting and the technology to perfection and for battle and evasive action. Also Ritsuko mentioned the simulation test as complex and important when the corrosion was detected. She didn't abort the test until Ireul actually spread within the pribnow box and the simulation bodies, hence the importance of the test, hypothetically a new way of piloting which went in vain.
EvaGeeks at its finest: discussing whether or not a 14 yo girl has breast implants and how they should look. ~Shamsiel-kun
Sometimes I secretly think the reason I'm an A/S shipper is because I want Rei for myself. ~Chuckman
Eew, penis and testicles, gross! ~Reichu
My dude, "cross, crucifix, troubles, back, rood, buttock" sounds a lot closer to classic Evangelion than just one stray buttock roaming around in the film. ~FreakyFilmFan4ever

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:15 am

That's an interesting set of observations about the simulation bodies, and I think you have enough for a Theory and Analysis page on the subject.

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:00 pm

I noticed a small mistake while reading Kaworu's wiki page. In the fifth paragraph of the NTE section it's stated that Mari was in control of Unit-05 while facing off against Nerv's pilots. Well, that's clearly not the case. This is probably a typo.
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:27 am

Whoever wrote that part clearly didn't care about standards and conventions either. Thanks for pointing it out.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:07 am

Random note on user rights changes - I've given SID412 and RussianRiz userpages to acknowledge their contributions to the wiki. Also, RussianRiz now has both TheoryAdmin and ResourceAdmin rights because of their work on both Theory and Analysis pages and Resources pages - the new abilities should be useful for those pages!

Thank you very much, both of you!

RussianRiz
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby RussianRiz » Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:47 am

Thanks! I am very happy in helping here.

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:32 pm

Congratulations, Riz and 412! Thank you for your continued contributions! ^_^
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”