Dialogue help!

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

AWinters
Shamshel
Shamshel

Re: Dialogue help!

•      
  •      

Postby AWinters » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:42 pm

Ep24 (directors cut version)

14:21
Misato:
(Sounds like) "well, did youf the data on him?"
As "youf" isn't a word, I must be hearing this wrong.

14:38
Misato:
"......, it's getting more and more mysterious".
Sounds like "yaat".
She's possibly saying "yet", but the accent she used is making me unsure.

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:20 pm

View Original PostAWinters wrote:Ep24 (directors cut version)

14:21
Misato:
(Sounds like) "well, did youf the data on him?"
As "youf" isn't a word, I must be hearing this wrong.

"Well, did you get the data on him?"
14:38
Misato:
"......, it's getting more and more mysterious".
Sounds like "yaat".
She's possibly saying "yet", but the accent she used is making me unsure.

"Yeah, it's getting more and more mysterious."

AWinters
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AWinters » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:12 pm

Thanks again!

Ep 25
04:38

A female voice during the scene change.
Sounds like "end room ...."?
I'm unsure about those two words and there's at least a 3rd word in there, but I can't make it out because of the sound effect at the exact same time.

7:14
Rei:
"Correct. I am that ...... ..... recognised as Rei Ayanami".

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:25 am

View Original PostAWinters wrote:Ep 25
04:38

A female voice during the scene change.
Sounds like "end room ...."?
I'm unsure about those two words and there's at least a 3rd word in there, but I can't make it out because of the sound effect at the exact same time.

It's actually Shinji's voice. He's saying, "Eva..." because of the cut immediately afterwards to his Eva grabbing him.
7:14
Rei:
"Correct. I am that ...... ..... recognised as Rei Ayanami".

"Correct. I am the thing that is recognized as Rei Ayanami."

Berserker
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Berserker » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:46 am

The correlation between vocals and music or any noise of the ADV production makes it really hard to just grasp the vocals out of everything. Anyway, it says "Evangelion ooooone" in which you can hear the "Evan-" part promptly at the moment of scene change, can be mistaken as "End room", which even I thought I heard the first time.
"-gelion" can be faintly heard amidst all those noise, only after a quick and lousy edit I just did. Then comes the paulstreched "ooooone" just after Shinji utters "Evangelion unit 1".

Sorry, I couldn't do any better because of the lack of time. Here's the lousy edit if needed: https://mega.nz/file/ijhCRSzK#YlNt3ADaK ... g_OxLV2XxQ
This gave me a good chuckle though. I wish I could know who had come up with this idea in ADV production of addressing Eva 1 like this in the background as if it's an Ottoman emperor making an entrance.
EvaGeeks at its finest: discussing whether or not a 14 yo girl has breast implants and how they should look. ~Shamsiel-kun
Sometimes I secretly think the reason I'm an A/S shipper is because I want Rei for myself. ~Chuckman
Eew, penis and testicles, gross! ~Reichu
My dude, "cross, crucifix, troubles, back, rood, buttock" sounds a lot closer to classic Evangelion than just one stray buttock roaming around in the film. ~FreakyFilmFan4ever

AWinters
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AWinters » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:22 pm

Thank you both!

Haha! I've never noticed their ongoing useage habits with dramatic sound effects. Now I may never unhear them.

I'm polishing up the earlier episodes too and there's a line I couldn't crack during Shinji and Asuka's argument. It's in the background with Fuyutsuki talking in the foreground.

Ep 09
21:54 (episode ends/ screen cuts to black during the line).
Shinji:
(Sounds like): "Nobody told you to find me in your room, that'd work!"

Berserker
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Berserker » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:24 am

"No people can ...., no way that'd work."

I couldn't understand that word or two in the middle, it's something that starts with a pronunciation of "ti-" or "ty-", and then there's that faint "this/these" or something like that. My best guess is "No people can tie in this, no way that'd work." Though it would've made much more sense if it was something like "can be trying this" or "can have tried this" or "can be tied to this", given the context of their fight. I'm sure(I guess?) about the rest of the words after an quick edit, since it was pretty much unintelligible to me without so except that "no way that'd work" part.
EvaGeeks at its finest: discussing whether or not a 14 yo girl has breast implants and how they should look. ~Shamsiel-kun
Sometimes I secretly think the reason I'm an A/S shipper is because I want Rei for myself. ~Chuckman
My dude, "cross, crucifix, troubles, back, rood, buttock" sounds a lot closer to classic Evangelion than just one stray buttock roaming around in the film. ~FreakyFilmFan4ever

AWinters
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AWinters » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:35 pm

View Original PostBerserker wrote:"No people can ...., no way that'd work."

I couldn't understand that word or two in the middle, it's something that starts with a pronunciation of "ti-" or "ty-", and then there's that faint "this/these" or something like that. My best guess is "No people can tie in this, no way that'd work." Though it would've made much more sense if it was something like "can be trying this" or "can have tried this" or "can be tied to this", given the context of their fight. I'm sure(I guess?) about the rest of the words after an quick edit, since it was pretty much unintelligible to me without so except that "no way that'd work" part.

Thanks! Yeah, I'm hearing a bit of that too now.
What I heard as "room" could be "no way", as you said.
The start of it sounds like "nobody told ya to.." to me.

AWinters
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AWinters » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:12 am

Ep 01
11:10
Intercom:
"Central Dogma's closed passage is to remain (...?)
(Sounds like "frail").

Ep 17
Next episode preview at the end:
"... a peaceful (dog?)"

Ep 18
4:28
Asuka:
"Aufa das te idioten!"
(I don't speak a jot of German and this is the best I could guess with the help of google translate, which isn't brilliantly reliable).

Here's a file of the sound clips:
https://mega.nz/folder/Fghg1JBB#EHzdDPrH6vkndy6RLbE3JA

Ep 26
17:34
Shinji and Asuka calling each other names.
Asuka is very clear, but I can't make out either of Shinji's insults.
#1 sounds like "Ow! ScaaaAaamy!" (Eh?)
#2 sounds like "nut butt"..?

Here's the sound clip:
https://mega.nz/file/w5ImBZSZ#6L1_BWJrh ... T99PC7zlo4

Added 15/3/21***

EoE
26:24 Asuka: (shouting something in German)
27:54 Asuka: "Eat this, ......!" (Something German).
Last edited by AWinters on Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Berserker
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Berserker » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:01 pm

Sorry for the delay. Had to take some days off...

Ep 1: ... sealed.

Ep 17: I can't reach to any other conclusions on this one besides dog, dove or doth. But obviously, none of them makes any sense, even in idiomatic way, or at least I haven't seen or heard of such use of semantics. But I'm sure of the article being "the" before peaceful.

Ep 18: Oh/gott verdammt idiot. Perhaps you'd missed it, but this already has been deciphered by Blockio.

Ep 26: Scanty!(Don't ask me how this can be considered as a swear word) Weasel! Backless/brat head(what it sounds like to me)! Dork!

EoE
Try that!/ Trieben (loosely translates to carry on, considering the context on hand)

Eat this, arschloch!

It'd be kind of someone who has a good grasp on German, unlike me, to confirm the EoE ones out.

AWinters
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AWinters » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:40 pm

Thank you!
I've now finished all episodes and EoE and uploaded the provisional sub files before I polish them up.
It'll likely take me a few more days to edit different versions.

There will be American English and UK English then they'll need dividing into with and without soft sub labels (because some videos have them hard subbed). If I think of any more variants, I'll try to get those done too.

Ep 18: Oh/gott verdammt idiot. Perhaps you'd missed it, but this already has been deciphered by Blockio.

This rings a bell now, thank you. I'm sure I edited this in too, but it mustn't have saved correctly. I really should have been making notes of corrections instead of just copying them straight from the forum to the subtitle edit. :facepalm:

AWinters
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AWinters » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:06 pm

If anyone would like to proof-read/watch any of the remaining subs and check for typos, I'd be very grateful.
I have episodes 21, 22, 23, 24 & EoE left to choose from.

I'm going back over them all and adding labels too. If anyone happens to be watching any version of the original series and wouldn't mind giving me a list of time stamps for every time you see a label that needs translating, it would be a big help!

I have most of them hard coded in my videos to copy from, it's just time consuming to find them all.

HedgehogsDilemma
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby HedgehogsDilemma » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:51 pm

This is a super galaxy brain thought, but:

View Original PostAWinters wrote:0:00:31.69 The cold is bad enough, but the fruit is equally god forsaken.

View Original PostBerserker wrote:The cold is bad enough but the fruit is equally god forsaken.

Could "Fruit" here be a play on words for the "Fruit of Knowledge"? This dialogue is almost impossible to hear in the dub, but if anyone's super devoted, can they listen closely to the Japanese audio to tell if whatever the dialogue is here would also work for such a pun? Or point me in the right direction if a reliable script of it exists already?

Because saying the Fruit of Knowledge is God-forsaken would be like perfectly apt for this moment.

AWinters
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AWinters » Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:57 pm

View Original PostHedgehogsDilemma wrote:"The cold is bad enough, but the fruit is equally god forsaken".

Could "Fruit" here be a play on words for the "Fruit of Knowledge"? This dialogue is almost impossible to hear in the dub, but if anyone's super devoted, can they listen closely to the Japanese audio to tell if whatever the dialogue is here would also work for such a pun? Or point me in the right direction if a reliable script of it exists already?

Because saying the Fruit of Knowledge is God-forsaken would be like perfectly apt for this moment.

Good thought. It would be interesting to know what's said in the original.
As far as I understand; ADV were sent an original script to translate, but they improvised a lot of it.

AWinters
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AWinters » Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:36 pm

So, I'm briefly back!
I'm gonna be crazy busy over the rest of this month due to the closure of a family business, but then I'll have free time again!

There's a complication on this project that I've been unsure what to do with and would be grateful for some insight;

I have the series saved digitally for making captions, but the screen sizes vary between some episodes.
Could that be a problem with the version I have? Were they produced that way or are they supposed to be consistent?
I stopped putting time into the episodes with different sizes and ratios because I'd risk having to re-redit the labels all over again to fit the correct screen size.

While I'm asking loads of questions; was EoE published low definition and grainy? (I ask because I was expecting it to be clearer at the cinema than on my old laptop, but I was wrong).

HRSM
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby HRSM » Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:03 am

View Original PostAWinters wrote:I have the series saved digitally for making captions, but the screen sizes vary between some episodes.
Could that be a problem with the version I have? Were they produced that way or are they supposed to be consistent?
I stopped putting time into the episodes with different sizes and ratios because I'd risk having to re-redit the labels all over again to fit the correct screen size.

For the TV Series, everything should be in 4:3 (offical releases on DVD are in 720x480 (3:2) that is squished to something that looks like 640x480 (4:3) due to how the DVD format works, but your subtitling program might be able to rectify for that)

View Original PostAWinters wrote:While I'm asking loads of questions; was EoE published low definition and grainy? (I ask because I was expecting it to be clearer at the cinema than on my old laptop, but I was wrong).

FreakyFilmFan4ever answered this here I think: https://forum.evageeks.org/thread/21098/EoE-blu-ray-quality/
(If your talking about the theatrical release of Evangelion: Death(true)² and End of Evangelion All the Anime made last year, that was a separate problem I think)

AWinters
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AWinters » Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:41 pm

Thank you, this is a big help! I'll adjust my videos accordingly to make sure I'm putting the labels in the correct places.

AWinters
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AWinters » Mon May 09, 2022 5:43 pm

Sorry I've been crap with keeping everyone updated.
I've had the captions finished for some time, I just need to copy all the fonts and organise a tidy folder for people to download.

Episodes 21-24 are only suitable for the director's cut version at this time. The rest are the standard ratios.

These captions cover foreground and background dialogue, which sets them apart from other versions.

I noticed subs and captions have version names.
Taking suggestions!

AWinters
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AWinters » Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:04 pm

Backing up to episode 8:

12:53
The Admiral (shouting at Misato):
Sounds like: "I'll have you off turning iron to the keyhole".

Misato responds:
".... you old fart!"

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:32 am

"I'll have you all thrown in irons and keel-hauled"

Keelhaul is more often spelt as one word, but the optional hyphen could aid comprehension in subtitle speed-reading.

Paul
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”