Amazon Prime Video release

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Re: Amazon Prime Video release

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:31 pm

View Original Postbobgoesw00t wrote:As I'm 99.99% sure the deal they made with Khara was to dub all four of the movies, it would make more sense for them to go ahead and dub 3.0+1.0 rather then have them re-release the previous three movies with a new dub THEN dub the last movie.

Distribution contracts for films, especially for a series while under production, are generally done on a film by film basis. No company wants to held captive by a contract they signed years ago if they can help it. If Film One is a big hit that gives the production company leverage to ask for a bigger cut on the contract for the next film and so on. Even if the near decade between films hadn't happened, Evangelion was still a popular enough title in the mid 2000s that Gaianx-at-the-time/Khara would have had the upper hand in negotiations and couldn't be strong-armed into signing a contract for all four films.

While I still have my doubts about an international Amazon Prime release happening before a theatrical run in other countries OR before 3.0+1.0's home video release in Japan - and that is a doubt I'll hold onto until Amazon officially announces it - I am 100% positive Funimation is not involved with Evangelion anymore. Awareness of Evangelion is at a high right now with the last film making news in Japan and Funimation has been entirely silent on all things Eva. The Funimation social media account has tweeted nothing about Eva in like over a year and they have no discs of the previous three films available to purchase on their site. Now would be the perfect time to have those titles, or even new editions with like a new cover or whatever, front and center cause people who don't own them already would start buying. Contracts for home video releases are generally 5 to 10 years with an option for the owners (Khara) to renew. It's been over a decade since the first two films got their Funimation releases and we just past 5 years for 3.0's release in 2016. Those films being out of stock or non-existent on Funimation's site is a big flashing sign they aren't in the Eva game.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:12 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Distribution contracts for films, especially for a series while under production, are generally done on a film by film basis. No company wants to held captive by a contract they signed years ago if they can help it. If Film One is a big hit that gives the production company leverage to ask for a bigger cut on the contract for the next film and so on. Even if the near decade between films hadn't happened, Evangelion was still a popular enough title in the mid 2000s that Gaianx-at-the-time/Khara would have had the upper hand in negotiations and couldn't be strong-armed into signing a contract for all four films.

You expressed it better than I could. I would also add that no localization company would buy literally nothing, coming maybe at some point.

Sharpe
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Sharpe » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:15 pm

View Original PostLaytonsApprentice2 wrote:Does anybody know if there's an official source for this version of the trailer? The "Rated R" in the bottom left corner makes it sound like it's already been rated!
Watch it at your own risk! Just pause the trailer somewhere to take a look at the rating I meant. No need to watch it fully :D
https://youtu.be/1F7i5sMnaBs

As hui said this looks unofficial, and I'd imagine an R rating would be a death knell to this ever getting a theatrical release abroad. It will get a PG-13 in the US more likely than not, unless I'm unaware of a great deal of nudity or extreme violence, I don't know much about the film's content but I feel I would've heard about either of those.
we are many, but you are alone

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:21 pm

G in Japan being R in the US would be peculiar.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:23 pm

Joseki wrote:You expressed it better than I could. I would also add that no localization company would buy literally nothing, coming maybe at some point.

Thank you. And yeah, that's a great point too!

Sharpe wrote:As hui said this looks unofficial, and I'd imagine an R rating would be a death knell to this ever getting a theatrical release abroad

I think it's fake too and nothing I've heard about the final film - again, I'm avoiding spoilers so maybe it does - makes an R sound appropriate but funnily enough the Demon Slayer movie got slapped with an R rating in the US.

Sharpe
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Sharpe » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:26 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:
View Original PostSharpe wrote:As hui said this looks unofficial, and I'd imagine an R rating would be a death knell to this ever getting a theatrical release abroad

I think it's fake too and nothing I've heard about the final film - again, I'm avoiding spoilers so maybe it does - makes an R sound appropriate but funnily enough the Demon Slayer movie got slapped with an R rating in the US.

I did not know that, that's crazy it's still getting released in the US, I guess it shows how big of a phenomenon Demon Slayer is.
we are many, but you are alone

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:43 pm

I never seen Demon Slayer, but I gather it has decapitations which is what triggered the R classification.

While I haven't seen Shin either obviously, from what I do know about it, nothing in it would necessitate an R rating.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:44 pm

View Original PostJoseki wrote:G in Japan being R in the US would be peculiar.

I mean, EoE somehow managed to get a G in Japan, and I don't think anyone in the US would rate that movie something other than R. I don't think 3.0+1.0 seems anywhere near as adult as EoE, though.

GentlemanX
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby GentlemanX » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:07 pm

View Original PostHooded_Omar wrote:I don't know if it means anything, but funimation's Evangelion webpage, funimation.com/Evangelion, has been seemingly removed.

They still have their Eva page up. They also still have dub clips from 1.11 and 2.22 up (albeit a couple of them are for premium members only) as well as the trailers they made for 1.0, 1.11, 2.22, 3.0, and 3.33. Not really stating that as proof FUNi still has the license or anything, but they are still on the site for now.

Jeo228
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Jeo228 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:25 pm

Y'all are sleeping on funimation

They LOVE Evangelion. Its one of their hottest localizations. They were the 2nd highest bidder for the streaming rights of NGE. Netflix outbid them by bounds because they cared more about expanding their anime collection rather than get return on investment.

Anno likes the Funi cast. Anno and Khara worked with Funi for years. Funimation was activley in the bid for EVA properties. Fans love the eva rebuild dubs.

Funi wants Thrice. They will pay for it, but lets be honest, the only thing in their way is some billion dollar company getting in the way like netflix.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:50 pm

We aren't sleeping on FUNimation, we are just presenting facts. People who are suggesting FUNimation are still in are generally not using evidence to back up their claims.

It's stuff like I'm 99% certain, or Anno loves FUNimation. I think there might have been a quote that he liked the English dub in 1996, long before rebuild.

Meanwhile, the hard facts are FUNimation hasn't talked about Evangelion in years, Khara were unsatisfied with the 3.0 dub then FUNimation sat on it for two years, their Eva dvds and Blu Rays are going out of print, and Khara has completely cut the old dub out of the original NGE. Sure showing a lot of love on both ends.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Jeo228
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Jeo228 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:17 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote: Khara were unsatisfied with the 3.0 dub then FUNimation sat on it for two years,

They didn't sit on it for two years. Anno wanted control over the redubbing efforts and had to split time between his main priority, shin godzilla, and helping supervise funi redubbing. If you watch panels done during that period with Spike Spencer, he mentions waiting months at a time waiting for them to get to gether to record because they had to wait for Anno and khara to send the new approved lines.

Literally this past year Funimations head said they tried to get NGE but netflix wildly outbid them, and that they would have taken better care of the brand.

The Dragon Mask
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Dragon Mask » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:30 pm

View Original PostJeo228 wrote:
View Original Posthui43210#918353 wrote: Khara were unsatisfied with the 3.0 dub then FUNimation sat on it for two years,

They didn't sit on it for two years. Anno wanted control over the redubbing efforts and had to split time between his main priority, shin godzilla, and helping supervise funi redubbing. If you watch panels done during that period with Spike Spencer, he mentions waiting months at a time waiting for them to get to gether to record because they had to wait for Anno and khara to send the new approved lines.

Literally this past year Funimations head said they tried to get NGE but netflix wildly outbid them, and that they would have taken better care of the brand.

If you could supply links to these sources I'd be super interested to check these out more. Genuinely interested. Lots of people cite cons that the VAs have been to when they've commented on the situation with the Netflix version but I've had difficulty finding anything useful on it.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:55 pm

I am also very interested. This fits the evidence we already have, but I need more sources if I were put it on the wiki. At this point I'm wondering if there should be something specific for all this mess that is the western Eva releases. Most of you probably read this: https://wiki.evageeks.org/Theory_and_An ... ranslation

This is a subject I have particular interest in, but I've talked enough about it these past days so I'll just paste my Discord comments:

Essentially Funi just made a very poorly translated and acted localization of 3.0. people trashed it at the time and it had so many mistakes Khara had to take in the reins. Asuka's famous "he's not an idiot, he's a brat" line was "he's an asshole" instead They went wild with it and butchered the movie.

https://youtu.be/PnSaJsfFUHE (this channel has almost 20 clips of the early US screening. You can clearly see it's extremely overacted, that Funi mistranslated and embellished things, and on and on. Audience reaction isn't particularly raunchy)

The whole thing about the reaction to a screening is a complete rumour, it's from a SomethingAwful forum post and has zero evidence backing it. Now I can't say for sure there was no Khara representative there, but the whole idea is kinda absurd and has no backing behind it. There are actual reasons for Khara to have done it
https://www.polygon.com/2018/12/11/1813 ... -interview
Funi president complained when Netflix got the licence
And now we have unconfirmed reports that they lost even the Rebuilds altogether, and it might have already been redubbed by Khara themselves again, for an Amazon Prime release now. You add this to Gainax/Khara's decades of problems with ADV and later Funi, their insistence on making the live action movie themselves, fighting with gainax over localization choices, as recently re-re-re-reconfirmed by Amanda et al. So it does not surprise me at all that Anno's very serious visionary animation company wants a more reliable and professional international partner (with more infrastructure and funds, to boot)
instead of these crummy and unreliable American fan companies. I feel bad for Tiffany not being able to return as it is really not her fault. You might remember in her group she went about this in some detail, before I assume she was advised to stop

Part of the reason I defend Khara's new sub around is that it means the mistakes ADV introduced are washed away. it's not like I need to, to be fair
Khara is consciously erasing ADV from memory. And new viewers don't first experience Eva with it. They see it as a goofy, largely unprofessional (even if in my opinion lovely and fun) 90s dub. Because that's exactly what it is.
I still like Tiffany and Spencer. And associate them with their characters in my head. Reprising the Rebuild cast with the Khara script would have been ideal, I think. Since ADV used randoms for most of the side characters. I guess they never heard of moderation.
And I like the new cast too. The direction is definitely better. I feel bad that they're probably not returning for Shin. And that isn't their fault at all, in this case. It was Funi playing funny. And screwing up 3.0

Freaky: New English Asuka's "Balls to the wall" line is stuck in my head, and I haven't even wachced it yet.
Yeah, Funi screwed the pooch with Eva Q.

Me: I remember that made a lot of sense. Because it's aviator speak.

Freaky: It did! I heard that line, and thought "This is in good hands. They get Asuka."(editado)

Me: So that's a very nice nuance that people reject just because they're emotionally attached to ADV. And you know, I am too! But accuracy must come first.
I remember Misato's "international civil servant" line in ep 1 too. It makes an awful lot of sense. Because she doesn't work for the Japanese government at all.
So I'm glad Dan is also in all likelihood remaking 1.0 and 2.0, and then Shin. They'd probably keep the licence and even get to redo NGE if they didn't screw up Q that much. Their Jo and Ha localizations were fine. Not stellar, but fine. This is the sort of thing that these American "by fans, for fans" companies don't really think of. They haven't reached a certain level of professionalism. Gotten better sure, but not much.
So it doesn't surprise me that Khara would rather go with corporate monoliths like Netflix and Amazon instead. I remember those theory videos Crunchyroll made basing themselves off Tumblr. It's embarrassing. Yet people associate them with a degree of "officialness". Remember the Funi president publicly complained about not getting the NGE licence. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. And now AWL burns bridges publicly as soon as her NDA expires.

There are also old threads with forum members detailing their reactions to the screenings. I remember Tiffany Grant also mentioning how much she loved the "he's an asshole" line.

A guy on another server told me - and I think I should not share his source - that Funimation bought the rights to the Rebuild movies, all four at once, but I have my doubts, partly due to the arguments mentioned above. I am sure Funi wants rights to Shin, but I am not so sure they'll get it, or if Amazon hasn't got to them already.
Last edited by FelipeFritschF on Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

The Dragon Mask
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Dragon Mask » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:26 pm

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:(...)

Very interesting indeed. It's sad, but I bet you're correct that Funimation screwed themselves. It'd be interesting to hear just what went down with the 3.0 dub. I wish we had a solid recording of it for posterity. Any cam rips? I watched it in the theater and all I remember is that it was different than the UTW/Thora one, might have played up a little more "ho yay" with Kaworu and Shinji, and lastly I think it did have a little more swearing than expected.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:40 pm

Kaworu and Shinji is just one factor at best, they did that with the whole movie. They overreached with everything, inserted double entendres, swearing, screaming, overacting, inexistent anger and completely botched up the script again and again with pretty much all characters. It's insane.

Half of the reason to this day people think (at least until Shin gets a release) that Misto and will just unreasonably HATE AND DESPITE Shinji is because the fansubs and the later Funi dub (which wasn't done by Kanemitsu, merely "supervised", he says) overplayed it too. In the Japanese you can sense Misato's conflicting emotions a lot more.

I edited one of the videos there, also.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:59 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:I think it's fake too and nothing I've heard about the final film - again, I'm avoiding spoilers so maybe it does - makes an R sound appropriate but funnily enough the Demon Slayer movie got slapped with an R rating in the US.

While Eva 2.22 went unrated by the MPAA, the theater I saw it in treated it as though it were an "R"-rated film just to avoid the hassle of parents being upset that the cartoon showed their child Misato's bare ass. It really seemed to be a thing that was decided upon by the theater owners, and not a certified ratings board.

View Original PostJeo228 wrote:Y'all are sleeping on funimation

Look, I'm sure Funimation loves them some Evangelion. What money-loving American nerd attracting company wouldn't? Eva makes bank, both in Japan and (to a certain degree) in the United States. But Gen Fukunaga's posts on the internet when Netflix out-bid them for NGE was the most virgin move I've ever seen a company CEO make in my entire life. The "love" he claimed he would show NGE just brought back memories of Funi refusing to pay royalties for the "Fly Me To The Moon" Eva trailers for Eva 1.11 (they had to remove the trailers after the first pressings), the complete adulteration of the end credits of 1.11 and 2.22, and the debacle that was inviting a Khara representative to what was basically a rowdy anime nerd beer party for the Eva Q screening. The removal of the FMTTM materials from the 1.11 discs does not give me confidence in their handling of FMTTM for NGE.

Granted, Netflix also removed NGE's FMTTM elements from their streaming service. Hopefully a company with big pockets and attention to detail gets the licensing for these NTE films. Gkids acquired the rights to NGE, and, given their completionism attitude towards their releases, I would think it would be including FMTTM, and one day (hopefully) the NTE films can also join their catalogue.

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:00 pm

I don't understand why you're so offended by Funimation removing the rainbow effect in the end credits, Freaky. Yeah, they removed a cool effect in the end credits. So what? It's not like that effect even mattered anyway, the themes and story of Rebuild aren't impacted in any way if you take it out. I'd say that Netflix removing every single instance of Fly Me to the Moon in NGE is much worse than anything Funi did with the first two movies.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:31 am

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:Kaworu and Shinji is just one factor at best, they did that with the whole movie. They overreached with everything, inserted double entendres, swearing, screaming, overacting, inexistent anger and completely botched up the script again and again with pretty much all characters. It's insane.

Half of the reason to this day people think (at least until Shin gets a release) that Misto and will just unreasonably HATE AND DESPITE Shinji is because the fansubs and the later Funi dub (which wasn't done by Kanemitsu, merely "supervised", he says) overplayed it too. In the Japanese you can sense Misato's conflicting emotions a lot more.

I edited one of the videos there, also.

You guys never heard the French dub of Q, it was a goddamn riot how horrible it was: Shinji had the voice of a chain smoker in his thirties, Misato sounded like a robot with a younger voice than Shinji, Asuka's VA didn't even tried to hide that she's an adult and swore so much that she would had her place in Black Lagoon, and Kaworu sounded like he was higher than a kite 24/7! :hitthetable:

Still, Q is a very delicate piece of work for voice acting since most of the time it's strafing a fine line between the characters' different emotions: Misato being conflicted between grief, anger and affection, same with Asuka who also has a lot of baggage with him, and her actions in Lilith's Chamber and at the end of Q are supposed to be a mix of anger toward him screwing them over again, frustration because she knows that he didn't meant to (and toward his non-responsiveness), affection because deep down she still cares for that idiot (her verbal dressing down at the end can be interpreted as someone telling an unruly kid what they did wrong and how to be better next time, that's also why she changed her nickname to him from "Idiot" to "brat", you don't hate a brat, you put up with their tantrum and teach them to be better) mixed with combat adrenaline for an explosive melange, and Kaworu's scenes with Shinji continuously dance between a feeling of friendship, admiration and love (there's a reason most of their scene have been meme-ed to death with all the gay-subtext)

So of course if others VAs can't bring up all these nuances (or don't know about them, IRRC Anno had to do a lot of voice direction to have the Japanese VAs bring out the exact mix of emotions he wanted), then it become very easy to stay on the surface level feelings of "they all HATE him now and won't hesitate to kill him if the need arise, despite Misato and Asuka NOT doing it)

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:
Freaky: New English Asuka's "Balls to the wall" line is stuck in my head, and I haven't even wachced it yet.
Yeah, Funi screwed the pooch with Eva Q.

Me: I remember that made a lot of sense. Because it's aviator speak.

Freaky: It did! I heard that line, and thought "This is in good hands. They get Asuka."(editado)

Me: So that's a very nice nuance that people reject just because they're emotionally attached to ADV. And you know, I am too! But accuracy must come first.
I remember Misato's "international civil servant" line in ep 1 too. It makes an awful lot of sense. Because she doesn't work for the Japanese government at all.

So Asuka's "Balls to the wall" line is in Funi's dubbing of Q or the new one directed by Khara?
Although here we see the big necessary nuance between a literal translation and an adaptation: maybe professional slang terms aren't used much in Japan, but absolutely are in the USA, so of course a pilot (that have been in the air force almost her whole like) would use aviator slang.
But OTOH it's also possible that Asuka never using aviator slang in the Japanese version could be a small worldbuilding detail made to convey that despite officially being in the "European Air Force" and with a rank, it was all ceremonial and she's not considered a real member of the armed forces (she's 14 in Ha, remember), although for example if she doesn't use it in Ha but does so in Q, that could imply that after 14 extra years she became a real member of the armed forces, with slang and everything.

TL;DR: translation and dubbing is a complicated affair between being faithful to the original material and digestible for the foreign public, that's a state of affair as old as translation itself and won't change anytime soon!
Last edited by ElMariachi on Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:59 am

View Original PostBusterMachine4 wrote:I don't understand why you're so offended by Funimation removing the rainbow effect in the end credits, Freaky. Yeah, they removed a cool effect in the end credits. So what? It's not like that effect even mattered anyway, the themes and story of Rebuild aren't impacted in any way if you take it out. I'd say that Netflix removing every single instance of Fly Me to the Moon in NGE is much worse than anything Funi did with the first two movies.

I critiqued both instances, but permanent alterations of any kind (especially visual ones in a visual medium) is undesirable at best. With Funi’s approach, it was less one thing they did and more of an accumulation of things that leaves a bad taste in my mouth. The poor relations with Khara, the lack of interest in a curated experience with the home media release, and the loose adherence with tone in the english dub all culminated in me just not feeling too sure about Funi’s approach. (Mari’s English dub is the prime reason why all of the NTE films should be redubbed.)

And on the subject of FMTTM, let’s not forget that Funi also refused to pay for that license with their Eva 1.11 disc release. There are trailers featuring Utada’s FMTTM on the 1.11 disc release that Funimation removed from their release because they didn’t want to spend money on the full experience. This practice would have probably followed them into their release of NGE if they had gotten the rights to it.

Like I said before, unless a company with deep pockets and attention to detail releases NGE in the US, we’re not getting a good release. Both Funi and Netflix failed on the FMTTM front, what with Funi removing the FMTTM trailers from their 1.11 DVDs, and Funi went the extra step my mangling the dub and altering the visuals of a visual medium during the end credits. Hopefully GKids can provide that experience.

To quote Hayao Miyazaki, “No cuts!”

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”