How old were you when the first rebuild came out in 2007 and how old are you now?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
FryMeTuhDehMuhn
Adam

Re: How old were you when the first rebuild came out in 2007 and how old are you now?

•      
  •      

Postby FryMeTuhDehMuhn » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:16 am

View Original PostBusterMachine4 wrote:Wait, you're 16 too? Guess it's time to reveal my true age, then. I was worried people would look down on me because I'm not an adult yet.

But yeah, I was just 2 when Rebuild 1.0 was released. I didn't even know how to read yet! This series really has been going on for a long time. Thankfully though, I just got into the franchise last year, so I haven't had to wait too long.
Last edited by FryMeTuhDehMuhn on Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wait waht

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Re: How old were you when the first rebuild came out in 2007 and how old are you now?

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:40 am

View Original PostFryMeTuhDehMuhn wrote:
View Original PostBusterMachine4#908032 wrote:Wait, you're 16 too? Guess it's time to reveal my true age, then. I was worried people would look down on me because I'm not an adult yet.

But yeah, I was just 2 when Rebuild 1.0 was released. I didn't even know how to read yet! This series really has been going on for a long time. Thankfully though, I just got into the franchise last year, so I haven't had to wait too long.

If you feel bad about your age hopefully it helps to know I'm only 14! Same age as the pilots lol, luckily I haven't had to endure the wait for Shin all my life, only since 2018 (Even then still a torturous wait lmao)

I was 15 when I joined the forums eight and a half years ago, you're all babies to me. :emogendo: (And I'm still relatively young myself.)

Enjoy having a permanent record on the internet of your worst teenage judgement calls and a time capsule of your personality that, if nothing else, will help you measure your personal growth against your insufferable(?) teenage selves!

baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:46 am

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Enjoy having a permanent record on the internet of your worst teenage judgement calls and a time capsule of your personality that, if nothing else, will help you measure your personal growth against your insufferable(?) teenage selves!

I've been active on the internet since I was like 10, so you can imagine how much fun it has been to deal with that. What was it Misato said, something about cycles of false elation and vicious self-hatred? Anyway, I've thankfully been able to erase or bury most of those records...

13thangel
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby 13thangel » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:48 pm

14 when it came out, I watched it right around that time, I'm 27 now.

I was just starting to figure out my path in life as a freshman in HS, and now I have built a career for myself with that same goal in present time.

In short, even with the career of my dreams, I am still left feeling empty until I see this damn movie lol

prophetic
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby prophetic » Fri May 14, 2021 10:55 am

A late bump for this thread. I find it cool to see the spread of ages in the fandom here.

Before I answer the thread question, I'll give a little background. I was introduced to Eva through a friend in junior high. He had a fansubbed tape of EoE (who remembers those?), and as we watched I was mesmerized by the visuals even if I didn't understand the story.

So when the ADV DVDs started slowly releasing in 2000 when I was in high school, I bought each volume and waited months at a time between releases. I was pretty excited to hear about a movie adaptation. Historians and old timers will know that it was originally supposed to be four movies, but the last two were going to be a double feature. And I think the whole thing was supposed to be finished by 2008!

tl;dr
I turned 23 the day after the Japanese premiere of 1.0 in 2007. I'm 36 now, and can't believe that the last New Theatrical Edition film is finally released in Japan.
Registering for this board is a pain.

HARVEST
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby HARVEST » Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:25 am

I was 6 turning 7 when 1.0 came out but I wouldn't get into Evangelion until I was 14 when I got ahold of the Perfect Collection DVDs of the series, truly the perfect time for me to get into it as I had been falling into a suicidal depression at the time.
I am now 20 turning 21 and I can say that Evangelion changed my life for the better and it actually saved me.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:28 pm

madmod
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby madmod » Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:52 am

I believe I was a about 14 or 15 when the Rebuild series was announced, if I remember reading about it being announced around 2006/07 correctly. I was already a huge fanboy of the series so I was pretty excited. I remember being a sophomore in high school when 1.0 was released. I had got a job at a movie rental store that specialized in anime so I got the DVD a week or two early. I got to see 2.0 in theater once I made it to college in a much bigger city. I remember watching a cam rip of 3.0 in my tiny bunkbed when I was doing an internship in Washington D.C. and then properly watching it on Blu Ray after I graduated college.

If you had told me back then that it would take more than 10 years for the series to be complete, I would not believe you. I turn 30 next month. I went through my teenage years, college, and found a career before this last movie came out. Wild.

View Original PostFryMeTuhDehMuhn wrote:
View Original PostBusterMachine4#908032 wrote:Wait, you're 16 too? Guess it's time to reveal my true age, then. I was worried people would look down on me because I'm not an adult yet.

If you feel bad about your age hopefully it helps to know I'm only 14! Same age as the pilots lol, luckily I haven't had to endure the wait for Shin all my life, only since 2018 (Even then still a torturous wait lmao)

Don't feel bad or weird about your age. I was doing the exact same thing at your age if not earlier. I'd hop on anime forums and discuss this and other shows all the time. We all are here cause we like Evangelion.

I was 4 when the original show started airing so I was in the same boat as you all.

(P.S. Please don't double post when you can simply edit your previous post)
Right by the entrance, you broke
Finally, reality's taking its hold
You're not who you were, but you can't let it go
You're not where you're from, but you're always alone

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:35 am

View Original Postmadmod wrote:If you had told me back then that it would take more than 10 years for the series to be complete, I would not believe you. I turn 30 next month. I went through my teenage years, college, and found a career before this last movie came out. Wild.

And we have folks who were infants when Evangelion 1.0 released and who are now old enough to watch it and understand it...

Yeah. Wild is right.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:10 am

It's crazy to think JO is 14 years old. When it came out, The End of Evangelion was 10 years old. That's crazy.
Don't get me wrong, it feels like a 2000's movie. It's hard to describe exactly why, but it gives me that vibe. That said, it aged pretty well! JO has aged fantastically! It may not be as beautiful or striking as EOE, but it looks great (I love its color saturation, for example). That's impressive because this was the first Evangelion movie to take advantage of CG elements and they were very well implemented. I obviously prefer EOE's use of rotoscoping techniques. That said, I don't hate the 3D aesthetic of JO. It goes hand in hand with the film's overall "feeling".
Anyway, JO is great. The best NTE movie I've seen so far (in my opinion).
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

RandoDood
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby RandoDood » Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:12 am

Guess I'll make a post to actually get some use out of this account
I was around 4 or 5 when 1.0 came out, I remember my dad showing me the first battle Eva 01 had and was completely hooked.
Now, I'm patiently waiting for Shin Eva's Prime release before my 18th birthday. Feels weird in all honesty.

Dakkky
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Dakkky » Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:30 pm

Reading all the comments, I feel like a child, even though I am still a child. Everyone was such an adult when the first film was released. I was only 2 years old :facepalm:
Hi, my name is Dakkky. I have recently become a fan of evangelion, and I am not yet completely familiar with all the theories and assumptions of this universe. I am not particularly good at speaking and writing in English, so I have to use a translator, because of this, there may be problems in understanding me or you.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:08 pm

Meanwhile, I feel old as I was a month away from turning 6 when NGE started. :geezer:
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:35 pm

I will be able to see Shin just days after my 75th birthday.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:08 pm

I was 10, in 4th grade. At the time I thought anime was stupid. I watched NGE in 19-23rd August 2014, when I was 17, and joined up here some weeks later. For a week I wanted to avoid watching NTE because it wasn't complete yet, and I assumed that, it being a then 2-year old movie, the final one would come out, at the latest, in the next year, 2015. After I did watch 3.0, initially assuming I got the wrong movie from the Nausicaa segment, as well as from randomly jumping ahead several times and thinking this was not actually Eva for some minutes (I even watched D&R first in a terrible VHS rip thinking it was required), I went to school rather annoyed at it ending the way it did, but assumed I wouldn't have to wait too much to see the conclusion. I eventually got slightly more pessimistic, as you can see:

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:'Ello folks.

So, for most of my life I used to have a deep hatred of anime and all-things-Japan because I thought they were silly and childish, with a few exceptions, mostly from my childhood. Then I watched NGE and it changed my life forever. Okay, not necessarily, but I never thought I'd care so much for fictional characters as I ever did before, I never spent so many days googling the hell out of everything I could think of because of a work of fiction, much less, ahem, a cartoon about giant robots.

I've watched the original series in three days, EoE and some manga the day after, and the three Rebuild movies after that. Would have done it in a shorter time if it wasn't for, you know, real life. Now I am grinding my teeth for the (likely more than a year away) end to Rebuild.

I used to think I was blessed to have been borned into the future, where so many epic shows, movie series, books, etc were long completed, as I wouldn't have to wait in desperation for all of them to come to a conclusion after confusing the heck out of me. Plus the flying cars and all that.

Now, I know that suffering.

(man my early posts were silly)
Last edited by FelipeFritschF on Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bogusman
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby bogusman » Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:18 am

I was 24, it was on my early days on my first job when i bought the localy distributed dvd version of it
Yea...

Italyzpizza
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Italyzpizza » Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:11 pm

Was 8 years old when it came in 2007. Back in my elementary school days, when I pretty much didn't know crap about anime.

I'm now 22 years old.

PSIWasHere
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby PSIWasHere » Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:14 pm

Somewhere between 3-4 years old when 1.0 was released, I'm very excited to experience the new Evangelion with the rest of the world for once :).
:)

autoNamed
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby autoNamed » Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:47 am

I was 18 when 1.0 came out, but had discovered Eva a year or two later, around 2009. I'm currently 32.

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:20 pm

I watched NGE and EoE for the first time in summer 2007, didn't watch 1.0 though. I was 12 (almost 13).

I then got into rebuilds in summer 2009. Today I'm 26 (almost 27). Jesus Christ this is scary. How did so much time fly so quickly? :facepalm:

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”