Waiting for Evangelion:3.0+1.0

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
xenosaga
Lilith

Re: Waiting for Evangelion:3.0+1.0

•      
  •      

Postby xenosaga » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:22 am

I haven't seen Shin yet so it's hard to judge, but from what I have seen in the trailers, the jump from Ha to Q still seem the biggest in terms of visual difference.
The aspect ratio change, character's visual change (the Honda Takeshi's visual in Q), and various visual style there was huge difference between Ha and Q.

I do expect the jump from Q to Shin to be much bigger than Jo to Ha though.
Also sprach Zarathustra

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:06 am

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Fourteen years have gone by since the first film was released (obligatory "it's like poetry"), so I'm not surprised how different this film looks from the ones that have come before! 2007, 2009, 2013, 2021... There's been plenty of time between Ha and Q and Shin for animation technology to improve. I wonder what the experience will be like watching all four films back to back-- I expect they'll be somewhat visually cohesive if watched in order, though perhaps scenes from Jo would look a little strange directly next to scenes from Shin.

Fortunately for Khara, it helps that the money shot of Jo was Ramiel, whose body made of... let's say crystal, helps in hiding the gaps in CGI technology between the early 00's and the second half of the new ten's. Personally the place where the old CGI is the most glaring is in 2.0 with the CGI three Evas against Sahaquiel, the difference with when the Evas a traditionally drawn was already noticeable back then, and it's even more glaring today.

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Considering the Jo-Ha-Kyu-Final structure that the films have been created around, it would be hard to make a film more depressing than the depression film.

Well it didn't help that the depression film left us stewing for nine years before the conclusion. :tongue:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

xenosaga
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby xenosaga » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:31 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Fortunately for Khara, it helps that the money shot of Jo was Ramiel, whose body made of... let's say crystal, helps in hiding the gaps in CGI technology between the early 00's and the second half of the new ten's. Personally the place where the old CGI is the most glaring is in 2.0 with the CGI three Evas against Sahaquiel, the difference with when the Evas a traditionally drawn was already noticeable back then, and it's even more glaring today.

I don't know if it's the fast movement or a lot of CG background buildings, but I thought Sahaquiel running scene doesn't really stand out with CG. You can obviously tell it's CG, but I think it just fits the scene very well that it's isn't bothersome.

The only CG that actually bothered me in whole rebuild is the first Wunder scene, and one scene from the pre-release trailer of 3.0+1.0.
Also sprach Zarathustra

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:41 am

I actually liked the shaders they used on the Evangelions during the Sahaquiel sequence in Ha, it was actually the animation on the angel itself (before it 'splodes) that I didn't really like. Re: the first scene with the Wunder in Q, in the theatrical edition (not BD) there are actually fewer clouds and that stands out, but they add some in for the BD (among other things, there was a whole thread comparing differences at one time.) For Shin, I'm pretty sure I know exactly what sequence you're talking about, and it looks just as janky in the finished film, I can assure you.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:02 am

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:I actually liked the shaders they used on the Evangelions during the Sahaquiel sequence in Ha, it was actually the animation on the angel itself (before it 'splodes) that I didn't really like. Re: the first scene with the Wunder in Q, in the theatrical edition (not BD) there are actually fewer clouds and that stands out, but they add some in for the BD (among other things, there was a whole thread comparing differences at one time.) For Shin, I'm pretty sure I know exactly what sequence you're talking about, and it looks just as janky in the finished film, I can assure you.

Whatever this scene is, it'll probably be corrected in the 1.11+3.33 BR release, like Wunder scene in 3.33.
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:11 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Whatever this scene is, it'll probably be corrected in the 1.11+3.33 BR release, like Wunder scene in 3.33.

On the other hand, I’ve heard people who’ve watched the movie say that there’s a specific reason it looks janky in the movie, so it may be a bizarre stylistic choice and not a mistake.

xenosaga
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby xenosaga » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:14 am

View Original PostArcher wrote:
View Original PostElMariachi#918206 wrote:Whatever this scene is, it'll probably be corrected in the 1.11+3.33 BR release, like Wunder scene in 3.33.

On the other hand, I’ve heard people who’ve watched the movie say that there’s a specific reason it looks janky in the movie, so it may be a bizarre stylistic choice and not a mistake.

I have actually heard the exact same thing myself from two different people.
Also sprach Zarathustra

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:36 am

I think I myself was one of the people who hinted at it looking janky for a reason, almost as if the specific animation technique was meant to imply something about the characters being animated!

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:48 am

From the trailers I've seen the only scene I didn't like so far was Unit 01 vs Eva 13 with the spears.

xenosaga
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby xenosaga » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:57 am

I really hope Wunder delivers this time.
I really love the concept of Wunder and the opening sequence of actually starting the engine in 3.0 was quite cool (thanks to the Nadia music as well lol).
But the fight itself with the spinning thing was a disappointment.

As someone who loves Nadia, I wanted something similar to the New Nautillus vs Red Noah fight...
Also sprach Zarathustra

baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:52 am

Nuclear Lunchbox wrote:I wonder what the experience will be like watching all four films back to back-- I expect they'll be somewhat visually cohesive if watched in order, though perhaps scenes from Jo would look a little strange directly next to scenes from Shin.

There's a radical change in visual style from 2.0 to 3.0, but it's pretty fitting for obvious reasons. Judging solely from the first 12 minutes and the trailers that I've seen, Q to Shin looks like a fairly smooth transition to me.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:57 pm

View Original Postbaldur wrote:
View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:I wonder what the experience will be like watching all four films back to back-- I expect they'll be somewhat visually cohesive if watched in order, though perhaps scenes from Jo would look a little strange directly next to scenes from Shin.

There's a radical change in visual style from 2.0 to 3.0, but it's pretty fitting for obvious reasons. Judging solely from the first 12 minutes and the trailers that I've seen, Q to Shin looks like a fairly smooth transition to me.

And it'll be even smoother with 3.333, since in it they make some changes to make the visual style closer to Shin's. In the end there'll be a bigger change in style between Jo and Ha than between Q and Shin!
Unless Anno goes full Georges Lucas and make a 1.111 and 2.222 to make their visual style closer to Shin, but that'll be one hell of a task! :D

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:29 pm

^

History loves to repeat itself :emogendo:

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

Re: Waiting for Alcion:3.0+1.0

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:15 pm

11 tracks from the Shin Evangelion Original Soundtrack album are now available on EVA-EXTRA app.
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

Electreel
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Electreel » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:52 am

Be extremely careful about spoilers, folks. I thought I was being cautious enough and... I had the entire ending of the movie spoiled for me in a non-Eva-related discussion. I just don’t know what the point is anymore :uhh:

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:06 pm

That's unfortunate and my biggest fear.

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:18 pm

I had what I assume to be a minor spoiler revealed by a YouTube thumbnail (no not the trailer one) involving plugsuit Rei wearing a rice paddy hat.

Asugran233
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Asugran233 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:38 pm

You know ... I prefer to spoilers it than wait for it to be on the internet, so ... here I won't say spoilers. :asuka_thumbsup:

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:50 pm

View Original PostElectreel wrote:Be extremely careful about spoilers, folks. I thought I was being cautious enough and... I had the entire ending of the movie spoiled for me in a non-Eva-related discussion. I just don’t know what the point is anymore :uhh:

That's one of my fears too, that for example I go to a videogame forum to talk about this game I just finished and that someone says "its ending is like the latest Evangelion movie's", or something like that.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:26 pm

View Original PostElectreel wrote:Be extremely careful about spoilers, folks. I thought I was being cautious enough and... I had the entire ending of the movie spoiled for me in a non-Eva-related discussion. I just don’t know what the point is anymore :uhh:

My condolences, dude. Hope it wasn’t anywhere in the non-spoiler sections of this forum.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”