Waiting for Evangelion:3.0+1.0

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Re: Waiting for Evangelion:3.0+1.0

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:01 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:*look at the posts above*
Oh, I think I know what those thumbnails are showing, something to do with an accidental leak from Khara one year ago, right?

No that's in one of the two trailers apparently but not on the thumbnail, I'd say B thumbnail is far more spoiler than that, at least for me.
Last edited by Joseki on Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JuanSorel
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby JuanSorel » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:04 pm

View Original PostJayfive wrote:Um...this is pretty normal - for example these Avengers Endgame TV spots came out 3 weeks after the film was released:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8o0a71EI74

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRBMQ-WNLPo

OK it's a slightly different situation because the 3.0+1.0 is only out in Japan but even so.

Not really in the same league spoiler wise, sorry to say. But yes, it does happen with some movies around the world too. And it still pisses me off (well, not really, just an expression)

They care about the international market, but surely not at the expense of theyre own. Rightly so.

Doesn't mean we have to like it.

xenosaga
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby xenosaga » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:15 pm

searching 3.0 trailer on youtube to find particular trailer for 3.0 was the stupidest thing I have done in a while... :facepalm:
Also sprach Zarathustra

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:28 pm

View Original PostJoseki wrote:
View Original PostElMariachi#917995 wrote:*look at the posts above*
Oh, I think I know what those thumbnails are showing, something to do with an accidental leak from Khara one year ago, right?

No that's in one of the two trailers apparently but not on the thumbnail, I'd say B thumbnail is far more spoiler than that, at least for me.

Dear lord. :cringe:

View Original PostJuanSorel wrote:
View Original PostJayfive#917994 wrote:Um...this is pretty normal - for example these Avengers Endgame TV spots came out 3 weeks after the film was released:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8o0a71EI74

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRBMQ-WNLPo

OK it's a slightly different situation because the 3.0+1.0 is only out in Japan but even so.

Not really in the same league spoiler wise, sorry to say. But yes, it does happen with some movies around the world too. And it still pisses me off (well, not really, just an expression)

They care about the international market, but surely not at the expense of theyre own. Rightly so.

Doesn't mean we have to like it.

This tendencies in every media's trailers to spoil as much as possible so the audience are 150% sure of what they'll see to minimize any risks of dislike is one of the most aggravating things entertainment modern marketing has done to the world.

View Original Postxenosaga wrote:searching 3.0 trailer on youtube to find particular trailer for 3.0 was the stupidest thing I have done in a while... :facepalm:

When I compared the Internet to a minefield, that wasn't an exaggeration, I literally stopped researching anything even remotely Eva-related since March 8th. Hell, I don't even go in the main page of fanart sites by fear of accidentally looking at a fanart spoiling Shin, I know the artists that I want to see and directly research the site + the artist on Google before clicking on that link. (now my fear is that they make a fanart spoiling Shin :tongue: )
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:57 pm

When I saw these trailers this morning, I had the impression that B contained more "raw spoilers" than A. But, on second thought, that may not be the case. The second trailer has more potential to spoil the viewer. However, you must have a guide line to understand many of its main "revelations". It's definitely not impossible to figure out what's going on, but it takes some thought. The first trailer, on the other hand, looks to be more generic. However, it openly reveals some huge "self-explanatory" surprises (even the music caught me off guard).

As someone who's read the script but seen almost none of the visuals the main thing I notice in those trailers is how pretty everything looks.

Yeah! I love how everything looks so colorful and alive!
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:02 pm

The difference is the B is about the plot, and A about the characters; that something is done is superficially more of a revelation, but who is doing a thing, however everyday and mundane, can be much more significant.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:47 pm

Yeah, precisely.
Trailer B feels like: Hey, take a look at these insane action scenes!
Trailer A looks like: Hey, take a look at your favorite characters doing some cool stuff!
There was even a shot in the first trailer that made me think: "Damn, are they going this far?!" It was brief, but significant.
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:00 pm

BernardoCairo wrote:Yeah! I love how everything looks so colorful and alive!

So Shin is really making itself to be the mirror image of Q, which was very cold, oppressive and with a permeative feeling of death once we arrive at neo-NERV (which is basically a giant tomb at this point).
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

FireOfPies
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby FireOfPies » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:37 pm

Ive been on a haitus, any news.

Or are we just waiting for April 4th and praying?
Waiting for English 3.0+1.0...this may be a while.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:38 pm

View Original PostFireOfPies wrote:Ive been on a haitus, any news.

Or are we just waiting for April 4th and praying?

Oh yeah, it's right that we have a panel with the VA in Japan today!
And what's special with April 4th?

jdranzer
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby jdranzer » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:28 pm

Thanks to a tweet from EvaMonkey I've managed to avoid those two trailers released this morning. However, in that tweet it's included the last 15 sec trailer released a week ago where Shinji is fishing, Asuka beats him and Rei is resting on the grass and that trailer was heavily covered by every anime website in the internet I visit regularly.

Not to mention another 15 sec trailer that's only accesible through this tweet from @evangelion_co where Rei is growing rice and apparently is from the third arc of the movie, so I suspect that sadly I've eaten some spoilers.

Twitter has tools to mute words but Youtube is a mess. I unsuscribed from Khara's channel and every video about Shin I have marked as not interested.

I have no idea how to avoid those two trailers released today and, considering the inevitable coverage from the media, I'm considering to just go and see the whole thing, but before doing that:

About this trend from Khara for releasing spoilery trailers from NTE, I remember this trailer published in 2013 for bluray release of EVA 3.33 posted only in evangelion.co.jp and subsecuently on youtube by King Records many years later. As I'm rewatching this trailer I understand that there's a lot of plot twist and surprises revealed here. Frankly I don't remember if that trailer ruined my experience with the movie. So, my question is: As a fan who has seen only official trailers from Khara and trying to avoid unofficial spoilers, those two trailers released today have the same level of spoilers and similar aesthetics that the EVA 3.33 trailer and for that reason is better to avoid it? Or they are different? I mean, the EVA 3.33 trailer is heavily dinamic and throws to you a lot of tiny disjointed scenes that apparently does not make much sense if you haven't seen the movie (even though the same contains a ton of key scenes like Awakened EVA-13, 4I, Kaworu's last scene, etc.). :|

Btw, it's my first post here. I read this forum ocassionaly and I'm joining the conversation because of EVA. :emogendo:

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:37 pm

View Original Postjdranzer wrote: So, my question is: As a fan who has seen only official trailers from Khara and trying to avoid unofficial spoilers, those two trailers released today have the same level of spoilers and similar aesthetics that the EVA 3.33 trailer and for that reason is better to avoid it? Or they are different? I mean, the EVA 3.33 trailer is heavily dinamic and throws to you a lot of tiny disjointed scenes that apparently does not make much sense if you haven't seen the movie (even though the same contains a ton of key scenes like Awakened EVA-13, 4I, Kaworu's last scene, etc.). :|

Btw, it's my first post here. I read this forum ocassionaly and I'm joining the conversation because of EVA. :emogendo:

Welcome, and my recommendation is if you don't want to be spoiled, DON"T WATCH EITHER OF THEM. They both spoil a tonne of the film.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:43 pm

View Original Postjdranzer wrote:Btw, it's my first post here. I read this forum ocassionaly and I'm joining the conversation because of EVA. :emogendo:

Your post has too many spoilers. You shouldn't be posting ANY details of the film here be they blanked out or otherwise.
"Fuyutsuki, When children are given their drivers license before being given sole responsibility for the survival of humanity, mecha anime will have crossed a dangerously illogical threshold"

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:00 pm

This is OK by the policy

2. Regular, spoiler-free discussion of the previous Rebuild of Evangelion movies may continue in the Rebuild subforum, business as usual. However, in case you want to post spoiler material in the body of a post anywhere outside of the 3.0 + 1.0 subforum, you must minimize its legibility in one of two ways -
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:20 pm

Ah ok, this is the first time I've ventured out of the spoiler bunker since release day and people in here seemed to be tip-toeing around any details so I wasn't sure.
"Fuyutsuki, When children are given their drivers license before being given sole responsibility for the survival of humanity, mecha anime will have crossed a dangerously illogical threshold"

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:27 pm

ElMariachi wrote:So Shin is really making itself to be the mirror image of Q, which was very cold, oppressive and with a permeative feeling of death once we arrive at neo-NERV (which is basically a giant tomb at this point).

I saw a bunch of scenes from Shin and I have to say that, so far, it feels completely different from Q. This time, the color palette is more vibrant and diverse (I won't go into details for obvious reasons). This is a welcome change, in my opinion. That aesthetic was suitable for Q, but I prefer this one hahaha!

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:49 pm

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:
View Original PostElMariachi wrote:So Shin is really making itself to be the mirror image of Q, which was very cold, oppressive and with a permeative feeling of death once we arrive at neo-NERV (which is basically a giant tomb at this point).

I saw a bunch of scenes from Shin and I have to say that, so far, it feels completely different from Q. This time, the color palette is more vibrant and diverse (I won't go into details for obvious reasons). This is a welcome change, in my opinion. That aesthetic was suitable for Q, but I prefer this one hahaha!

Well, I'm not surprised since Shin was announced as the episode of hope since the first Next Time segment at the end of Q. (and teased even before that by Kaworu's last words to Shinji)
Bring some color to that blood-red world Anno! ^_^

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:53 pm

Considering the Jo-Ha-Kyu-Final structure that the films have been created around, it would be hard to make a film more depressing than the depression film.

xenosaga
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby xenosaga » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:06 am

the snippets I (unfortunately) have seen of the new trailer makes it look quite different visually from previous films. Almost remind me of another franchise tbh.
Also sprach Zarathustra

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:12 am

Fourteen years have gone by since the first film was released (obligatory "it's like poetry"), so I'm not surprised how different this film looks from the ones that have come before! 2007, 2009, 2013, 2021... There's been plenty of time between Ha and Q and Shin for animation technology to improve. I wonder what the experience will be like watching all four films back to back-- I expect they'll be somewhat visually cohesive if watched in order, though perhaps scenes from Jo would look a little strange directly next to scenes from Shin.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”