Official "Hello/Goodbye" Thread!

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

TastyCap
Embryo

Re: Official "Hello/Goodbye" Thread!

•      
  •      

Postby TastyCap » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:36 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:By way of warning, Asuka is one of the more obviously rebuilt characters in the Rebuilds, starting with the name change (Shikinami instead of Sohryu).

That's unfortunate. I knew about the name change, but a friend who's seen the Rebuilds assured me that she still gets a focus. I'm open to different incarnations and continuities taking liberties with characters, but altering a character as dear to me as Asuka is probably going to leave a sour taste in my mouth. I guess we'll find out soon!

View Original Postbaldur wrote:I'll give you the same advice as I did the person before you and say that the Rebuilds should be approached more as sequels than remakes (in a spiritual and thematic sense, not literally). And again, fair warning, these films are extremely divisive. I hope you give them a fair shake.

I've heard about the controversial reception to the Rebuilds, and I'm well-prepared for it. The original series, as much as I love it, is a draining watch. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing an Evangelion adaptation that's tonally lighter and less focused on intensive character studies, and the Rebuilds sound like they fit the bill. The original show has its purpose and serves it well. After 26 episodes and a movie of pure torture for these characters, I don't mind seeing them in something that leans more into the action and mecha aspects of the franchise, and I'm already pretty open-minded when it comes to different interpretations of things I enjoy. Besides, what's the fun of seeing a 1:1 exact remake of something?

I'm still bummed out that I missed the speculation leading up to the final Rebuild film, but better late than never. I'm sure there will be more Evangelion content to discuss in the future. There's no way Khara will let a cash cow like NGE die completely. Nearly every large franchise that I once thought had effectively finished has resurrected itself in one form or another in the past decade, and I don't think Evangelion will be an exception.

baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:30 pm

View Original PostTastyCap wrote:I've heard about the controversial reception to the Rebuilds, and I'm well-prepared for it. The original series, as much as I love it, is a draining watch. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing an Evangelion adaptation that's tonally lighter and less focused on intensive character studies, and the Rebuilds sound like they fit the bill. The original show has its purpose and serves it well. After 26 episodes and a movie of pure torture for these characters, I don't mind seeing them in something that leans more into the action and mecha aspects of the franchise, and I'm already pretty open-minded when it comes to different interpretations of things I enjoy. Besides, what's the fun of seeing a 1:1 exact remake of something?

I'm still bummed out that I missed the speculation leading up to the final Rebuild film, but better late than never. I'm sure there will be more Evangelion content to discuss in the future. There's no way Khara will let a cash cow like NGE die completely. Nearly every large franchise that I once thought had effectively finished has resurrected itself in one form or another in the past decade, and I don't think Evangelion will be an exception.

I'll be interested in hearing what you think of the films, I hope you'll share your thoughts with us over on the Rebuild board after you get around to watching them. Many on that board are quarantining themselves from spoilers so there's still that little bit of time left for speculation when it comes to the final film.

Kukapetal
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kukapetal » Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:52 pm

Hi, I’m Kukapetal. I first watched the series when I was in my early 20s back in the early 2000s, but did a rewatch last summer and have been thinking about it a lot since then. Just looking for a place to talk about it with others. I have to admit I’m a tiny bit nervous about joining this forum since so many people here seem pretty hardcore....I hope I don’t annoy others or embarrass myself too much. But the depth of knowledge many of the people here have is also really impressive and and I’ve really been enjoying reading the theories and debates I’ve found in the boards. Anyway, I hope there’s a place here for a woman who’s just getting back into things after a very long hiatus from the series, and I hope I’m able to contribute in a positive way.

Nice to meet everyone :)

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:15 pm

View Original PostKukapetal wrote:I have to admit I’m a tiny bit nervous about joining this forum since so many people here seem pretty hardcore...
Think like this -- everyone had to start from the beginning themselves. Coming in at this point, there's at least the new movie that only a few have yet seen, so the playing field is quite level there. My confession is that after having resolved the sci-fi story to my satisfaction, much of the deeper lore excavation passes me by, seeming like fitting patterns to noise (quite literally in one case, where an imperfection in the original film material was taken as something of significance within the story).
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:41 pm

View Original PostKukapetal wrote: I have to admit I’m a tiny bit nervous about joining this forum since so many people here seem pretty hardcore....I hope I don’t annoy others or embarrass myself too much. But the depth of knowledge many of the people here have is also really impressive and and I’ve really been enjoying reading the theories and debates I’ve found in the boards.

I only started taking an active part in discussions on here earlier this month. I was similarly intimidated, but I like to think I've acclimated. That first step is what matters the most. Glad to have you on board with us!
:rei_happy:

Ninafost
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ninafost » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:57 pm

I just managed to catch up on the three Rebuild movies, and it's fair to say I've got a heck of a lot of reading to do. It definitely started pretty similarly to the regular series, but now it's strayed off on it's own.

My only early gripe, and it's probably more a matter of personal preference, is that in the original series I really felt like Asuka was just as integral to the story as Shinji, or at least as close one could be without being the protagonist, but it feels like in the Rebuild she takes on a far more secondary role, which is a shame because I really think she's an amazing character.
Although she does look pretty cool with the eye-patch! :wink:

baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:53 am

You got through them pretty quickly! And yes, the Rebuild films are definitely more Shinji-centered. Here's hoping for plenty of Asuka in 3.0+1.0, though.

Kukapetal
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kukapetal » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:27 pm

Thank you both for the warm welcome! I’ll do my best to remember we were all noobs at one point, and try and relax a bit. Just knowing I can finally talk with others who are interested in the series def. makes me happy.

Line
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Line » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:23 am

I'm going to dare to say this on EvaGEEK forum.

You know, at the end of the day, it's just an anime like thousand of others, don't feel like you have to be diplomated from some sort of "Understanding Evangelion" school thinking, and be free to have and add any interpretations you like, as foolish as they might be.

That's being said, it do not mean that's, if you want to pull of some grand sophisticated, complicated, thought on Eva or whatever you have to restraint yourself of whatever.

Eva fans who said they understand everything and that's if you don't agree with their visions of it, then you are a horrible/stupide personne are beyond condescending and exasperating.

Now, however, the low fast food quality content of Eva posts like reddit or instagram styles or tumblr...cough cough are as much as exasperating.

Now that's all being said, welcome to Evageek and have a good stay! :exalt:
Ban me forever.

Vic Guard
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Vic Guard » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:20 am

Welcome, denizens of the EvaGeeks community. My name is Vic and I'm quite a fan of anime, including Evangelion.

TastyCap
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TastyCap » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:39 am

View Original PostVic Guard wrote:Welcome, denizens of the EvaGeeks community. My name is Vic and I'm quite a fan of anime, including Evangelion.

Welcome! Enjoy your stay!

:asukahearts:

Line
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Line » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:58 am

Welcome, Vic and TastyCap! :wink:
Ban me forever.

Asugran233
Lilith

Hello

•      
  •      

Postby Asugran233 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:46 am

Hello, my name's is Asugran233 and my favorite Evangelion Character is Asuka.
How did it start? Well, I don't know, it started with a meme that I found on the net or from the NSFW page that I was browsing (yes, I was a pervert), and there was Asuka who I liked later, although she sneaked on me sometimes, but I still find her cool.

In December-January 2020-2021, I watched Evangelion on Netflix, but in Japanese with subtitles, later I finished Rebuild of Evangelion 1.0-3.0 and so on it all went. :asuka_wink:

Vic Guard
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Vic Guard » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:56 am

Hey, welcome here!

VindexTD
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby VindexTD » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:40 pm

Last edited by VindexTD on Thu May 13, 2021 6:28 am, edited 6 times in total.
Ain't nothing wrong with a little tear-shedding, every once in a while.

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:54 am

Hi, VindexTD! I hope you'll enjoy your stay here and will manage to better yourself and reconnect with NGE.

VindexTD
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby VindexTD » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:35 am

View Original PostZusuchan wrote:Hi, VindexTD! I hope you'll enjoy your stay here and will manage to better yourself and reconnect with NGE.

My thanks, Zusu!
I'm happy to be here and sure that this'll be a good time.
Ain't nothing wrong with a little tear-shedding, every once in a while.

Natalie the Cat
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Natalie the Cat » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:13 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:As you would see if you checked some of the last posts on that account, Chuckman has transitioned, so no longer wished to be associated with a dead name.

I am that person, fyi.

Edit: Sorry for the necro lol

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:40 pm

View Original PostNatalie the Cat wrote:I am that person, fyi.
We had conjectured thus, but were respecting your privacy on the matter.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Natalie the Cat
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Natalie the Cat » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:51 pm

Yeah I'm open about being trans but I tend to avoid *that name* like the plague. I've been on the fence about making the connection, having seen what's happened to other transwomen on the internet with deadnaming and harassment.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”