A different quoting system?

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

A different quoting system?

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:00 am

I’ve seen mods point to users a lot to not quote entire posts, and IMO this is mostly because the way quotes are implemented aren’t the best, especially for mobile users.

- When you reply to a post, it automatically quotes the entire post. Understandable enough, I suppose.
- When you’re writing a post and can see other posts to quote, it ALSO quotes the entire post instead of just whatever section you highlighted.
- Quotes also include previously quoted messages by default, you have to manually erase them.

On mobile, it’s a massive pain in the ass to deal with quotes and trim them down. On some other forums I’ve been on, they have some implementations that make quotes more manageable:
- Subquotes and images are automatically removed from quoted messages
- Quotes longer than a paragraph or so get collapsed into 2-3 lines
- You can quote a fragment of another message by highlighting the desired text before quoting

I dunno how easy it would be to implement, but I think this would go a long way for the forum’s ease of use.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: A different quoting system?

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:49 am

At base, the issue is that forum software comes from an age where keyboard and mouse were expected. Also, in our current set-up any significant upgrade would be a rather fraught process (that sort of happens when the forum is going on for 18 years old).

The quote nesting depth is tuneable (as an admin forum-wide option); in fact the limit was recently raised to allow one level of quote nesting, after some years at no such nesting; and quoted images are already thumbnailed.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:58 am

Archer, rest assured that we're hearing you and working on the issue. There are some things to be sorted out, but you are raising very good points.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

jeffythedragonslayer
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby jeffythedragonslayer » Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:50 pm

Yes, i agree about point 1. When I highlight part of a post, and then press the quote button, the behavior I'd like to see is the composing text box is filled with the part I highlighted. Actual behavior is to always quote the entire post regardless of what I've selected.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:23 am

The forum is currently running on an antique version of the forum code, that uses so much out-of-support infrastructure that we are stuck in a place where any updates actually being a migration to a whole new forum. We've done that a couple of times already in the almost 20 years the site has been running, but that has required days of downtime on each occasion.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

jeffythedragonslayer
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby jeffythedragonslayer » Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:36 am

I see. phpbb has been going downhill lately, so I think that's a good move.

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”