Comic Books!

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: Comic Books!

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:08 am

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:Have you read the Fire & Stone crossovers? I have been meaning to, the art in the Prometheus mini was fantastic. Artist Juan Ferreyra would go on to work on Suicide Squad & Green Arrow for Dc.

I have yet to read that but I know that was a Dark Horse, I'll give it a look ^_^

Even before that, Disney has never had an issue relating R rated films. IIRC they used Miramax for that.

Ah this makes sense now, as I recall princess mononoke was released through Miramax and not Disney Pixar.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:25 am

Finally back to reading comics with moderate consistency.

Finished...
William Gibson's Alien 3 comic adaptation by Dark Horse.
- Surprisingly decent story (I recognize I am in the minority here)
- Only serious complaint was them not using Ripley in virtually anyway (not sure if this was at the stage where the producers inexplicably wanted to push Hicks as the lead or if this was the stage where they simply didn't expect Weaver to come back for monetary reasons), thankfully they did not kill her off like one of the other alternate scripts did.
- The Alien propagating like a airborne virus didn't bother me as much as I expected as it was a one off mutation.
Batman - Last Knight on Earth
- Good quick post apocalyptic Batman story.
A Red Mass for Mars
- Decent.
- First time I agreed with Johnathan Hickman's reputation for writing sterile emotionless characters. Didn't get that from his fantastic Avengers runs at all.

Currently reading...
Three Jokers (2020)
- Great.
- Heavy focus on Barbara & Jason.
- Fabok's art is fantastic. Only weakness is not making the Comedian & The Clown look different enough from each other. The Criminal is the only one who stands out.
Detective Comics (2011 - new 52)
- I have read up to issue #14. Don't get the hate. Of course it's not as good as Scott Snyder's Court of Owls but it's still solid.
- Dr Toxic was a interesting unique villain.
The Eternals (1976)
- First issue held my attention more than expected, gonna try and make my way through all the various Eternals series before the movie comes out.
Plunge by the son of Stephen King.
- Very happy Stuart Immonen isn't retired as I heard.
- 1st issue was solid. Characters fleshed out well enough.
Thor (2018)
- Behind on Thor for the first time since I started reading him around 2009.
- Del Mundo's art is not fitting the book nearly as well as expected.
Last edited by movieartman on Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:37 pm

Man, I've really fallen behind with my comics. I was halfway through Doomsday Clock and Heroes in Crisis when I stopped, randomly, and I think that was early/mid-last year. I have something of a small backlog to get through as well.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:24 pm

- Bendis is taking over Justice League (Blue Monday screams in the distance :D ) with a pretty different team line up including Hippolyta (instead of diana), Black Adam (instead of shazam) & Bendis OC Naomi. No Martian Manhunter, Flash or Lantern (:|
Pics...
SPOILER: Show

I hope we get a alternate secondary JL team (with a better creative team) with Diana, Manhunter & Mera on it.

- The Crime Syndicate is getting their own mini series, something I have hoped for for a while.
Designs aren't as good as their new 52 counterparts sadly (power ring does look good at least, owlman looks solid aside from the eyes)

The new 52 versions for comparison...

- A hammerless Beta Ray Bill is getting his own series spinning out of the current Cates Thor run.

- Gulliem March will be drawing a Joker series.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:29 pm

Marvel has lost their damn minds.

For those not familiar with 1990s comics, the original Clone Saga & Heroes Reborn series are universally considered to be among the absolute most hated comics in history.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:59 pm

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:I really like the idea of adapting unmade movies into comics or doing sequels to older films.

Another example: A pitch was made years back to do comic sequels to Batman 89 & Batman Returns and Dc said no - :irked:
http://joequinones.blogspot.com/2016/03/batman-89.html

A variation on this is happening after all along with a Donner Superman series.
They dropped the original writer for the Batman pitch but kept the artist.
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/comics/d ... an-a182511

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:01 am

Started!
Dark Nights - Metal (2017)

- Love the build up in the Forge/Casting one shots & Hawkman's dark foreboding narration.
- The one shots for the individual dark multiverse Batmen are all firmly good, I really like the Drowned & Merciless in particular.
- To a extent it's retreading Trinity War/Forever Evil (honestly snyder does this a lot) but in certain areas it's doing the same story better.

The Brave & The Bold - Batman & Wonder Woman (2018)

- Sharp's art is just as fantastic here as it was in Rucka'a WW run.
- Diana encountering Celtic/Irish mythology is very unique and cool.

VUX
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby VUX » Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:22 pm

I’m honestly more of a fan of independent publishers nowadays instead of the main ones like Marvel or DC, mainly because they usually don’t have pointless political messages or wokeness. I would also like to list a few comics that I genuinely enjoy and that other people may potentially be interested in.

Supergod by Warren Ellis.
The best way I can describe this is that instead of nuclear weapons, the countries of the world develop superhumans as weapons during the Cold War. In an honesty refreshing twist however, these “supergods” have an extremely alien mindset, and are like a force of nature. It very much subverts the idea of superheroes as they are traditionally seen.

Kaijumax by Zander Cannon.
This is a story about Kaijumax, a prison designed specifically for imprisoning Kaiju. It’s plum full of references to old tokusatsu and monster movies, so anyone who likes those things will likely enjoy this.

The Maxx by Sam Kieth.
This one is a bit difficult to describe, but essentially, there’s this guy called the Maxx, who is a homeless guy in our world, but is a superhero in a dream world called the Outback. Like Supergod, the Maxx very much subverts tropes commonly associated with superheroes, though in a different way.
"When life gives you problems..., get into the robot!"

"We VUX wanted peace with humans, until they day that insult was thrown"
"Where's you're ogrelord now laddeh?" Drek

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:06 pm

View Original PostVUX wrote:I’m honestly more of a fan of independent publishers nowadays

I recommend...

Mega (red 5 comics)
Kaiju comic with phenomenal hyper detailed art.

Scott Snyder's Night of the Ghoul (best jackett press)
Meta horror story of a film buff tracking down the director of a long lost silent horror film about a apocalyptic creature who inspired our legends of zombies, vampires.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:10 pm

There is a upcoming 3 issue cosmic horror oriented Aquaman mini series that sounds really cool.

AQUAMAN: ANDROMEDA #1
Written by RAM V
Art and cover by CHRISTIAN WARD
Variant cover by BRYAN HITCH
1:25 variant cover by ANAND RK
1:50 foil variant cover by CHRISTIAN WARD
$6.99 US | 48 pages | 1 of 3 | Prestige Plus
8 1/2" x 10 7/8" (All covers are card stock)
ON SALE 6/7/22
17+
Deep in the Pacific Ocean, at the farthest possible distance from any land, sits Point Nemo: the spaceship graveyard. Since the dawn of the space race, the nations of the world have sent their crafts there on splashdown, to sink beneath the silent seas. But there is something…else at Point Nemo. A structure never made by human hands. And that structure seems to be…waking up. The crew of the experimental submarine Andromeda, powered by a mysterious black-hole drive, have been chosen to investigate this mystery. But they aren’t the only ones pursuing it. Anything of value beneath the ocean is of value to the master pirate Black Manta…and anything that attracts Black Manta attracts Arthur Curry, his lifelong foe, the Aquaman! But heaven help them all when the doors of the mystery at Point Nemo swing wide to admit them…
Bringing a bracing cosmic-horror sensibility to the world of Aquaman, rising superstars Ram V (Venom, The Swamp Thing) and Christian Ward (Thor, Invisible Kingdom) team up to put Arthur Curry through an exercise in psychological terror that could break the will of even a king!

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sat May 07, 2022 8:19 pm

Artist George Perez (new teen titans, late 80s wonder woman, crisis on infinite earths) has passed away from cancer! :sniffle:

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”